Diablo® III

Imperius, Angel of Wrath

100 Night Elf Druid
...And, at the End of Days, Wisdom shall be lost
as Justice falls upon the world of men.
Valor shall turn to Wrath-
and all Hope will be swallowed by Despair.
Death, at last, shall spread its wings over all-
as Fate lies shattered forever.

From the Book of Tyrael, the Prophecy of the End Times. Besides referring to Rakanoth (Despair), Malthael (Wisdom and Death), and Diablo in general, it's also offering at least two hints to expansions. The first is the second last line, 'Death, at last, shall spread its wings over all' which means Reaper of Souls. The only other thing that refers directly to something happening as opposed to vague hints, and also uses a capital, is 'Valor turns to Wrath'. Valor is of course Imperius, and he remains the Archangel of Valor, with some level of antagonism in Reaper of Souls. But as Blizzard said, expansions are self-contained, and they kind of learned their lesson with Kil'Jaeden at the end of World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade. So Malthael is the focus of Reaper of Souls, so that leaves Imperius open and ready.

Main point of this post is that clearly there's an expansion planned in which Imperius becomes the Angel of Wrath or something.
Reply Quote
We changed the prophecy when we defeated the big bad.
Reply Quote
Everything except he last has already expired though, in the same order as the prophecy stated.

...And, at the End of Days, Wisdom shall be lost (Malthael goes missing after the world stone gets destroyed)

as Justice falls upon the world of men. (Tyrael falls to Sanctuary as a mortal)

Valor shall turn to Wrath (Imperius is blinded by pride and wrath when we encounter him)

and all Hope will be swallowed by Despair. (Uriel is held prisoner by the Lord of Despair)

Death, at last, shall spread its wings over all (Malthael reveals himself as Archangel of Death)

as Fate lies shattered forever. (Refers to either the Nephalem changing fate/prophecy or something happening to the Archangel of Faith)

So from that I actually think Imperius has already played his part in going bad just as Uriel has. But we can't know yet. All we know is that most of the prophecy has happened and the Nephalem is changing fate. We simply do not know yet how Imperius has reacted to the Nephalem saving the High Heavens yet.
Edited by Tasty#2729 on 3/24/2014 2:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/24/2014 02:32 PMPosted by Tasty
as Fate lies shattered forever. (Refers to either the Nephalem changing fate/prophecy or something happening to the Archangel of Faith)

Heaven was ultimately supposed to lose the war with hell but the Nephalem changed that; so pretty much the fate of everything is now unknown and Itherael doesn't have a clue any more..

I still have no clue as to why the Nephalem are exempt from fate and also able to rewrite it.
Reply Quote
Ending of the game pretty much implies that a Nephalem will be the big bad of the next expac. tIt figures, we're beat a demon, an angel, and now the stakes have to be higher.
Reply Quote
The prophecy has come true EXCEPT the last line which has been confirmed by the game director to NOT have happened yet(source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaP6aWGzWp0 at 2:10)

Imperius has already turned to wrath, hence why he was so angry in diablo 3 vanilla and although he always has hated humans, he seems a little more chill in the expansion. It seems the prophecy is happening in the order its written. the parts for Malthael, Tyrael, Auriel and Imperius have already come to pass. The prophacy has come to "death, at last, shall spread his wings over all" as this refers to Malthael and the first expansion reaper of souls.

So the next expansion i am 99% sure will have something to do with Ithereal, but there are hundreds of possibilities of what could happen. If we look at the prophecy though. First its called the prophecy of the end days, second it is something to do with the angiris council so this tells us that the line referring to fate is something to do with Ithereal and this has not yet come to pass. I am starting to think that heaven has more trouble on the way.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Rogue Nephalem kills Ithereal and we have to kill him(and possibly Imperius too considering he's always trying to kill us).

Bosses for the next expansion judging from the ending of Reaper of Souls may possibly be:

Boss 1:???

Boss 2:Imperius

Boss 3: Rogue Nephalem
Reply Quote
03/25/2014 10:07 PMPosted by Yvenathilm
Rogue Nephalem kills Ithereal and we have to kill him(and possibly Imperius too considering he's always trying to kill us).

Bosses for the next expansion judging from the ending of Reaper of Souls may possibly be:

How about Inarius for another boss?
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Inarius would most likely be in the Mephisto Expansion not the Evil Nephalem Expansion.

Evil Nephalem Expansion's most likely Bosses:

Mephisto Expansion's most likely Bosses:

Boss 1:Inarius

Boss 2:Lilith

Boss 3:Mephisto

Realm of Terror Expansion most likely Bosses:

Boss 2:Diablo

Boss 3:Soul of Evil(the final Uberboss without help from the other Uberbosses of Reaper of Souls this time)

Sinlord Expansion:

Boss 1:Lord of Sloth

Boss 2:Lord of Envy

Boss 3:Covetous Shen Lord of Greed powered by the Dirgest

Azmodan Expansion most likely Bosses:

Boss 1:Lord of Wrath

Boss 2:Lord of Pride

Boss 3:Prime Evil Azmodan(most likely obtaining the position through the Dirgest absorbing the other Evils' souls)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
That's the thing. The 'Valor shall turn to Wrath' is meant to make you think it's referring to Imperius' arrogance. But a capital is used for 'Wrath' just like 'Death' in the same passage. So I don't think that Imperius' douchebaggery is all the passage refers to. Could be wrong, just taking a stab.

Also I think the Sin Lieutenants are going to be the villains of the next expansion. Because that would be temptation. Plus the Lieutenant of Pride is still kicking around, and with all the Great Evils gone (even with the Black Soulstone destroyed, the Evils would be back in the Black Abyss awaiting rebirth, so they won't be around for a while) he'd be the most likely to take over the Burning Hells. I also think Inarius and Lilith will be popping up as villains. So could Inarius, in fact, now be the Lieutenant of Pride? Lilith could become the one of Lust. Stereotypical, but it might happen.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
The Maiden of Lust: Cydaea is dead and in the process of reincarnating in the Burning Hells. Ghom has already reincarnated judging from the Uberbosses. We killed Cydaea in Act 3. She is not Lilith...

As for Inarius: He's in the Realm of Mephisto not the Realm of Azmodan thank you very much.

If he goes in any Expansion it will be one one Mephisto's return not one focusing on the Sinlords AKA Sin Lieutenants.

As for Valor turning to Wrath: Valor is Courage. Imperius is cowering behind his throne and uses cowardly attacks. He is the Archangel of Valor no longer..... and judging from Diablo's words he never was despite his insistance otherwise..... He is the Archangel of Wrath!

As for the Sinlord: the Sin that we call Wrath is actually called Anger and as such the Sinlord will likely be called the Lord of Anger not the Lord of Wrath(Imperius embodies Wrath).

Anyone want to see the Lord of Anger duke it out with the Archangel of Wrath?
Edited by Yvenathilm on 3/26/2014 8:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Sorry, but there won't be 6 expansions for Diablo III lol. Frankly, I'd be astonished if there were any more than 3.
Reply Quote
03/27/2014 10:05 AMPosted by Chris
Sorry, but there won't be 6 expansions for Diablo III lol. Frankly, I'd be astonished if there were any more than 3.

This lol

Better combine those predictions Yvenathilm :P
Reply Quote
Every part of the prophecy is easily attributed to a name/event. The only one that seems off or at least not easily viewed or compared to an event is the "Valor shall turn to Wrath-".

Based on the behind the scenes comments by the Blizz dev team, they intended Imperius to be a bigger bad guy, he was going to be the big bad evil dude of reaper of souls. But they changed it, I would think this is as simple as a little part that got cut out of the game. But I am sure they will have to find a way to consolidate that change in lore, or they will just say that Valor has become a @@##@***.
Reply Quote
Eh I'm okay with the prophecy just meaning Imperius was having some anger management issues for a bit. I like the character, even if I want smack him upside the head (helmet?) sometimes. I'd rather he overcome his issues and stay an obnoxious semi-ally of convenience instead of turning into a Nephalem fanboy or Yet Another Arthas, we've enough of those. It's refreshing to have characters the player can butt heads with who aren't just plain evil.
Edited by Eclesis#1207 on 3/28/2014 11:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 11:11 AMPosted by Eclesis
Eh I'm okay with the prophecy just meaning Imperius was having some anger management issues for a bit. I like the character, even if I want smack him upside the head (helmet?) sometimes. I'd rather he overcome his issues and stay an obnoxious semi-ally of convenience instead of turning into a Nephalem fanboy or Yet Another Arthas, we've enough of those. It's refreshing to have characters the player can butt heads with who aren't just plain evil.

I agree with this.
Reply Quote
03/25/2014 12:28 PMPosted by DarkSpell
Ending of the game pretty much implies that a Nephalem will be the big bad of the next expac. tIt figures, we're beat a demon, an angel, and now the stakes have to be higher.

"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

But the problem here is that the Nephalem has become so powerful that there is no justifiable way any future character could ever defeat her.
Edited by Shahadem#1174 on 3/28/2014 12:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Evil Nephalem will kill Ithereal. It will be our job to find out who, why he did it, and destory him.

Then Diablo IV will have us trying to get all 7 demons again.
Reply Quote
How about Diablo gets his hands on a new body; a nephalem? He kills Ithereal and is then hunted down, meaning a fight between our nephalem and Diablo-nephalem? :P
Reply Quote
I think the prophecy no longer applies. All of those things began to happen but were stopped by the players.

The whole point is that the Nephelam aren't bound by such things and so were able to break the prophecy.

Besides, Imperius becomming a villian would pretty much just be a redux of Reaper of Souls. I think Imperius is just misunderstood, he's a good guy at heart.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]