Diablo® III

Fire Wizard Build? Advice? Opinions?

Hey,

Wanted to find out what people thought about my ideas for this fire build?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aNTkQi!debR!cYZZYb

I haven't been able to try it yet due to real life and bad internet not allowing me to play D3 but I will definitely be back for ROS and wanted the chance to be able to go with my own original build and wanted to find out what people thought about this build and if it would work etc?

My ideas with this build were to go around a fire build where I can get up close and personal but also have some skills that allow me to protect myself if needed but most of all I really wanted to use the black hole skill!

But yes what I thought was Magic Missile with Conflagrate to allow for my fire build but to also allow me to attack enemies from a distance when I need too. This also means if and when I run out of arcane power I have that skill to continue my attacks.

Black Hole blazzar to do more fire damage to enemies plus pull enemies away from me.

Not totally sure if this is the best armor or not but storm armor with power of the storm to reduce arcane spenders by 3. (advice on this is appreciated)

Mirror Image Duplicates to distract the enemy! This is another skill that I have always wanted to use and when I played around with it on 1.0.8 with the normal skills I had so much fun using it and hence its pretty much one I am sure I want to use now too.

Teleport with fracture to allow me to create distractions so I can get away if needed when I teleport and hopefully the enemy will focus on my mirror images whilst I escape. This also allows me to have mirror images up fairly consistently in a battle which I have found very useful.

And Finally Hydra with blazing Hydra for more fire damage that attacks whilst I am using my other attacks.

As for passives I decided on

* Illusionist since I am using both teleport and mirror image
* conflagration since its a fire build I am going with and pretty much necessary for my build
* Evocation to reduce cool down's on mirror image and teleport and this also allows me to have them up much more frequently.
* And finally Elemental Exposure to allow the element I am doing to cause more damage from the element I am using. Would probably also try to find a fire wand too but will see at the time how this all goes.

If anyone can offer up any thoughts or improvements that would help it would be much appreciated I also have no idea what gear I would be looking out for since I haven't played 2.0.1 yet but will be getting to it soon but am guessing I would look out for gear that also helps with fire damage but probably wouldn't run with a Cindercoat even though I know it helps with fire damage would probably rather a Tal Rashas or something but will work that out when I can play and see what I find.

Thanks for the help anyway and look forward to hearing peoples responses.
Edited by Sorceress#1395 on 3/23/2014 8:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't see this build doing much damage with the current skill selections due to not having a steady arcane power spender.

Your main damaging spells are:
Magic Missile: (Free to cast, No CD)
Hydra (Limit of 1 out at a time, 15 arcane power, No CD)
Black Hole (20 Arcane Power??, 12 Sec CD)

So most of the time you'll be casting magic Missile not because ur outa arcane power but because there is nothing else for you to do.

I would suggest swaping Hydra out for a big arcane spender with No CD.
Options:
Arcane Orb (Scorch)
Meteor (Meteor Shower)
Energy Twister (Gale Force)

This gives you an arcane dump.
Additionally what u want to do is swap one of your passives for Prodigy, this will VERY quickly rebuild ur arcane power pool for another dump.

Also:
03/23/2014 08:08 AMPosted by Sorceress
Not totally sure if this is the best armor or not but storm armor with power of the storm to reduce arcane spenders by 3. (advice on this is appreciated)

This is not really needed for this build, I would swap it out for an energy armor, probably the one with crit or the one with extra resists but that's just me. Power of the Storm armor is used when ur main spell is a channeling one ie, ray of frost or arcane torrent.

Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 09:55 AMPosted by Kovrim
I don't see this build doing much damage with the current skill selections due to not having a steady arcane power spender.

Your main damaging spells are:
Magic Missile: (Free to cast, No CD)
Hydra (Limit of 1 out at a time, 15 arcane power, No CD)
Black Hole (20 Arcane Power??, 12 Sec CD)

So most of the time you'll be casting magic Missile not because ur outa arcane power but because there is nothing else for you to do.

I would suggest swaping Hydra out for a big arcane spender with No CD.
Options:
Arcane Orb (Scorch)
Meteor (Meteor Shower)
Energy Twister (Gale Force)

This gives you an arcane dump.
Additionally what u want to do is swap one of your passives for Prodigy, this will VERY quickly rebuild ur arcane power pool for another dump.

Also:
03/23/2014 08:08 AMPosted by Sorceress

This is not really needed for this build, I would swap it out for an energy armor, probably the one with crit or the one with extra resists but that's just me. Power of the Storm armor is used when ur main spell is a channeling one ie, ray of frost or arcane torrent.

Hope this helps.

I concur. Meteor shower could be great on top of a well-placed black hole. I'm also a huge fan of Scorch.
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 10:01 AMPosted by Fragasm

I concur. Meteor shower could be great on top of a well-placed black hole. I'm also a huge fan of Scorch.

I love Scorch too, but there is one big drawback with it that must be mentioned; it has a slow travel time, and almost all of the damage for Scorch is in the fire it leaves behind rather than the actual explosion. IMO the best way to use Scorch is a little unintuitive. I combo it with Slow Time and Massive Hydra to trap enemies in multiple burning zones of goodness. I'll probably swap to Black Hole when that comes out.

I'll second Energy Armor (Pinpoint Barrier). DoTs can crit, so if you've got a bunch of them rolling, the more crit the merrier.

Conflagrate's good and I'm using it now. But the way I'm reading Elemental Exposure, if you're only hitting guys with Fire, you're only applying a 5% damage vulnerability. When RoS drops and I hit 70, I'd change to Electrocute (Chain Lightning) and the Prodigy passive. Not only do you get a lot of AP back quickly, you also spread out the 5% damage vulnerability from lightning damage over a bunch of dudes. You then drop a Scorch to add another 5% vulnerability and watch all the baddies run through the fiery ground, taking 10% extra from everything. I *think* the +10% damage from all sources will outweigh the DoT you get from Conflagrate, especially since Scorch doesn't eat through AP that quickly if you aim it right. The fiery ground lasts for quite a while.
Reply Quote
Thanks for all your suggestions! Its greatly appreciated.

These are the changes I have made after reading what you wrote as I didn't realize that with elememental exposure but seems that is more for a mixed skills wizard. Thanks for that :)

Here is the build with a few alterations too it

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aNOkQP!decg!cYZZYY

Good suggestions with changing hydra to meteor (meteor shower) And also changed evocation to prodigy since I don't seem to have many cool down skills and also changed elemental exposure to dominance to allow for a bit of extra protection.

Thanks so much for your help and so can't wait for ROS!
Reply Quote
interesting idea using duplicates, i'm assuming for multiple black holes and such right, that would be very cool.

also depending on your future gear and whatnot, i think spectral blades flame blades is a very powerful combo there as well, all you have to do is use it a few times and you can see bonuses of between 5 and 30 to your fire skills with just a few short hits with flame blades.

but yeah looking good so far, bring the burn to hell buddy :)
Reply Quote
One of my alts is running with a Fire setup... far from optimal but still lots of fun (hero: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Xour-1678/hero/42903235)
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 04:29 PMPosted by Amos
interesting idea using duplicates, i'm assuming for multiple black holes and such right, that would be very cool.

also depending on your future gear and whatnot, i think spectral blades flame blades is a very powerful combo there as well, all you have to do is use it a few times and you can see bonuses of between 5 and 30 to your fire skills with just a few short hits with flame blades.

but yeah looking good so far, bring the burn to hell buddy :)

Thanks Amos how about a game sometime when I have updated and ROS is out? Could be a heap of fun :) Feel free to add me if you would like too! And thanks was wanting to use spectral blades flame blades but wasn't sure it would work so am very happy lol! Definate must!

Thanks for your response glad its looking good and yes I thought with multiple black holes and mirror images everywhere etc could be fun lol just some skills I have really wanted to use for ages lol!

Look forward to bringing the burn to hell tomorrow so excited yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Reply Quote
The build with spectral blades flame blades added in!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WNOkQP!decg!aYZZYY

Thanks Amos going to be such a fun and amazing build! With all the skills I have wanted to use for ages lol
Reply Quote
I think Scorch's main power comes from its positioning. If you've newly graduated from spamming Frozen Orbs, Scorch would seem underwhelming and intentionally stupid since it doesn't "explode" and damage all enemies that you see bunched together. But unlike Frozen Orb, you can get creative with Scorch - it's basically a fireball in D2 that trails a short firewall behind it. Therefore, positioning is important and it's more useful.

Second would be aim. Aim Scorch on a wall or any unbreakable object behind an enemy and watch it explode bones and innards; this is on top of the firewall it leaves behind.

Because Scorch doesn't travel as fast as other orbs (except probably the lightning one), you will have time to get your AP back up to spam it continuously if you have decent APOC or Prodigy equipped. The way to do this is to rune Conflagrate on Magic Missile and hold it over groups of enemies; the missile will pass through all enemies in its path, netting you AP per crit (if you rely on APOC) or hit (if you have Prodigy).
Reply Quote
View profile
I've been playing fire mage a lot in softcore, and the build I'm using is by far the best one i've put together so far. The thing about being a fire mage is that you can't kite well, and meteors are a pain to place vs fast enemies. Slow time with fracture teleport in between alleviates this greatly.

The main point of the build is to proc prodigy and apoc with electrocute while abusing attack speed. This also spreads paralysis very well with the forked lightning talent. This way, you can dump even more meteors. My current resource reduction allows me to drop 4x meteor shower and refill mana almost instantly.

When black hole comes out you can perhaps try to fit it in over teleport to cycle with slow time as your cc.

would look like this @ 70 http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UPOgNS!ZVcR!ZYcYcc
Edited by AriseChicken#1463 on 3/24/2014 3:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]