Diablo® III

Will ROS beat Path of Exile now?

03/23/2014 06:13 PMPosted by StudFlower
If PoE had D3 graphics + feel of combat + no desync,

It was bye bye Diablo a long time ago.

As long as they don't use the art style and atmosphere of D3...I'll agree. I can stand the combat in PoE...it's the desync that kills it for me. Mainly due to I only play hardcore(D3 has struggled in this area quite a bit as well, 4/5 HC deaths in D3 were purely due to server). Softcore is just a waste of time.
Edited by Utukka#1683 on 3/23/2014 6:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
PoE is good.. I'm no fanboy like a lot around here. Both games are now good. D3 never had to worry about TL2 or PoE though, they just don't have the brand power or budget to compete. Sure, on game forums and stuff PoE is popular, but most gamers don't even look at forums.
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 06:18 PMPosted by MrH
Diablo III is local store pizza, PoE is frozen supermarket pizza.

PoE is frozen supermarket pizza from your local drugdealer, which gives you 100% diarrhae
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 06:21 PMPosted by Utukka

As long as they don't use the art style and atmosphere of D3...I'll agree. I can stand the combat in PoE...it's the desync that kills it for me. Mainly due to I only play hardcore(D3 has struggled in this area quite a bit as well, 4/5 HC deaths in D3 were purely due to server). Softcore is just a waste of time.

Hmm, dunno? When you lose your 1000 hours played character on hardcore I'm pretty sure you just wasted 1000 hours.
Edited by Darkrayne#2657 on 3/23/2014 6:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
These are games, not political nominees.
Reply Quote

I used to play PoE a lot, too. And you're right, softcore isn't nearly as enticing as HC. I just couldn't handle dying due to desync.
And I also agree with the atmosphere... Too much flying unicorns :)
Reply Quote
I played PoE. I did the first Act was was like meh. Plus it wouldn't let me max out cleave for my Maurander (however you spell it idk). I can't use cleave as the str based melee class? fail.

I heard lots of D2 vets went to PoE though. I'm glad.
Reply Quote
[quote]
Softcore is just a waste of time.

Hmm, dunno? When you lose your 1000 hours played character on hardcore I'm pretty sure you just wasted 1000 hours.

When you play 1000 hours in a video game you've wasted 1000 hours; it doesn't matter if you were playing softcore or hardcore.
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 06:16 PMPosted by KaZeDaRKWIND
PoE even with its free expansion that was said to be amazing it currently has 924 viewers on twitch. while Diablo 3 has literally 10 times that at 9636. I think Diablo has more public interest than PoE. But who knows?

let's not forget the fact D3 has been advertised far more than PoE. We are also comparing a mini expansion to a full fledge expansion. D3 was at ~200-300 viewers not more than a month ago. Path of exile was ahead of it for awhile.Let's also through out the fact vanilla D3 has far more exposure due to Diablo 2 and the fact it is a Blizzard game.

Long story short D3 and path of exile are for different players. D3 is for casuals and PoE is for hardcore gamers. Guess which group has more players? If we want to go by popularity you should look at the top 10 music chart because those are the best songs in the world

PoE > D3 when it comes down to game mechanics any day. Which to me makes it a superior game. I don't care about graphics.
Edited by Snoozey#1156 on 3/23/2014 6:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
<span class="truncated">...</span>

When you play 1000 hours in a video game you've wasted 1000 hours; it doesn't matter if you were playing softcore or hardcore.

It's does if you have to repeat the process again to get to where you were and are willing to do it... that becomes tedium instead of escapism. Entertainment is not a waste of time anyway, it's a necessary activity to maintain sanity.. it's physically and mentally required.

Anyway, I was just making slight fun. I like a good hardcore romp myself from time to time.
Edited by Darkrayne#2657 on 3/23/2014 6:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 06:27 PMPosted by Socs
I played PoE. I did the first Act was was like meh. Plus it wouldn't let me max out cleave for my Maurander (however you spell it idk). I can't use cleave as the str based melee class? fail.

I heard lots of D2 vets went to PoE though. I'm glad.

alleged D2 veteran, coz PoE suck so hard
thinking about positive aspect but even that ff7 socket rip or and skill gem system are flawed and pretty much stupid
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 05:30 PMPosted by Zannis
PoE never beat anything. It's a good game, but it isn't without its own set of problems.
Reply Quote
only reason why I see that people may still play POE is that the game !@#$ you so hard while being so stupid that you think to yourself "that cant be" and then you end up in campaign for self-affirmation and somewhen you reach merciless and start to farm items with max sockets (btw while thinking omg cant be that rare that it wont drop, but sometimes a 6 socket bow is dropped which you sell for those 7 "no idea what its name" then use it on your item but end up with 1 socket)

sidenote some already mention desync, I actually didnt coz it should have been a surpirse for those who dare to try it (remember hit recovery (d2 maybe) its now also related with dmg to hp, funny is that that mechanic causes so much desync distress)
Edited by Ren#2301 on 3/23/2014 6:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
PoE does not have terrible graphics. And it definitely makes better use of lighting than Diablo 3. The animations in PoE are poor though.

As for gameplay, I don't enjoy playing the classes in PoE all that much. I especially find the DH much more fun than a bow ranger in PoE.
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 05:27 PMPosted by JOHN
Do you guys think ROS has what it takes to take on POE head on?

I tried POE but it does not appeal to me, its 2001 graphics and terribad animations in character movements ruined it for me.

There is something about D3's more cartoon like artwork that suites me better.

The World of Warcraft cartoon graphics is one of the problems with D3. All of the environments are just so lifeless and uninspired, I get bored looking at it and have to stop playing. PoE and Grim Dawn graphics are far better. The realism of their graphics draw me into the game and enhance the whole gaming experience 100x over. I never get tired of it like I do with D3.

I'd like D3 a lot better if I didn't feel like I was playing Warcraft.

To the OP's question: No ROS will not beat PoE, nor will it beat Grim dawn which is only in Alpha test at the moment. Improvements have been made, but it will never be the game it should have been.
Edited by Paganblade#1675 on 3/23/2014 6:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 05:27 PMPosted by JOHN

Do you guys think ROS has what it takes to take on POE head on?

I think the original diablo 3 was already better than POE by quite a large margin. Expansion will only increase this.
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 06:23 PMPosted by Darkrayne

I understand it's a matter of perspective. I don't like games where I feel I can't *fully* lose/noncompetitive. Softcore is essentially playing with God Mode enabled and to boot, D3 has done its best to stamp out competition to this point.
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 05:45 PMPosted by Tomnnn
I enjoy the itemization and skills a bit more in PoE, but I'm a mobile gamer. My windows machine is stationary and my laptop is a mac, so I end up putting more time in diablo than PoE. I know I can just dual boot, but I'm not always in the greatest place to use a mouse and right click + drag does not exist, windows-apple support breaks it. So if you move the mouse after you right click, it becomes left click again - that won't work for a lot of the skills.

Anywho, I like both as their own game.

Actually there is a program in the forums allowing apple users to run EXE files making poe easily installed
Reply Quote
$25,000 open beta supporter is what throw me off. I think 25k or 30k or more
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]