Diablo® III

Buying a gaming computer

03/20/2014 07:00 PMPosted by SideGFX

I'd recommend an NVIDIA card though. They have better drivers, and although they are more expensive, they are really powerful. Even the lower-end cards are pretty dang strong. I'm running a GTX 760 in my computer at the moment, and it runs like a champ. I can play most games at 70-80 FPS at almost maxed graphics, running Diablo 3 at about 120-150 at max pretty consistently. The only time that I drop below 90 FPS is when I'm partying with 3 frozen orb wizards or something. For NVIDIA card manufacturers I would go with EVGA, MSI, or Asus. EVGA has great customer service and reliably sturdy cards.

hey, my GTX780 , 2560*1600 or lower resolutions, max or not max settings same low fps at act3 after bridge (where a lot of fire shadow)..
i dont believe you are not facing same problem. Btw, i am using i7,16G
Edited by chunlee#1401 on 3/20/2014 7:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Seriously, do yourself a favor, go to newegg.com and order the parts and put it together yourself. I have put together 4 computers, it is easy, like legos kind of easy. Don't waste your money, get the parts and put it together. We have plenty of nerds to ask for advice/tips on parts and assembly. I use amd processors and graphics cards usually because they are cheaper compared to intel and nvidia with very similar performance, my computer runs everything on high/ultra with an old amd phenom quad, and a radeon card.

If you can, at least get a small SSD and put your operating system on it, computer will fly. Get at least 4gb of ram, more is better though, I have 12.
Reply Quote
My advice, ditch iBuyPower and build your own. Order parts from Amazon and use Chaud's build your own guides on MMO Champion as a guide for parts. Spend a weekend reading up on how to do it and you'll get 2x bang for your buck with whatever you decide to build.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/3838-Blizzcon-2014-Setup-of-the-Month-Dark-Legacy-Comics-431
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 07:06 PMPosted by Paragon

One thing I was worried about was the operating system since I believe buying them pre-built they do come with them (each company does that differently) and operating systems can be pretty pricey.

The big building companies get huge discounts on the OS licenses, so you indirectly pay less for them as well. On the other hand, a school can most likely get you a copy for next to nothing if you're a student. Some companies will do the same. If you've got any tech-savvy friends who build their own computers, they can probably help you out with that too.

03/20/2014 07:07 PMPosted by DTMAce
Yep, I agree, i7's are overkill in many ways. I have an i7 laptop and an i5 desktop, and I can't tell the difference, personally I think the desktop fairs better, but it has a higher clock speed. lol

I only have i7s, and while they're great (except my gen1 mobile one gets really hot and has low clock speed...), but they only see benefits in a small number of applications, and like I said, unless you know you're going to want the hyper-threading for programs you know will take advantage of it, chances are you don't need one, so save the extra hundred bucks. Though honestly, the desktop probably seems faster because you're comparing mobile hardware to desktop hardware. *insert picture of Morpheus* "you think that 770m is the same as a 770? ... hmm"
Reply Quote
Yeah, some tips:

Do not go for less than 8GB of memory.

Try to stick to a quad core or better CPU.

Do not get a video card with less than 192bit path. The higher this path, the better the card performance. Think of it as a multi lane highway between two cities. The more lanes you have, the more traffic can pass. So the larger that bitpath, the faster the card can process data between the motherboard and the video card. (well memory/cpu bus, but you get the idea)

Get a good quality power supply. Do not skimp on this. 50 bucks or more should be spent on one. 12V single rail. Many higher end game systems won't have one less than a 100 bucks.

Motherboard. Again, you want a decent quality board. Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, Biostar, and a few others make good boards, providing you stick to their higher dollar models. Many have a list of features, and there are sites all over that make many recommendations. Most of my builds use the first 3 of those. I have never preferred Biostar, but I know they can make good stuff. Same with MSI. Avoid Elite and some of those cheaper builders.

Memory. Often you can get a 2 piece or 4 piece kit. Kingston, Corsair, AData, are decent to name a few. First two can be kinda high sometimes. Be sure to check for what the board can use before choosing.

Hard drives vs SSD. Comes down to price and performance. For a good gaming rig I try to stick to WD Black series. These are 5 year warranty drives, and offer a nice punch for a mechanical without totally busting the budget. If you want pure speed, get an SSD drive, with AT LEAST around 300-400 read/write speeds and no smaller than 100GB. Faster is better. You can use a drive like this for the OS and some programs, and keep data on a second mechanical drive. Makes the computer insanely fast, but doesn't fill it full of things too quick.

Anyway, good luck!
Reply Quote
Learn to build.
Prebuilt big box store brands ( Dell, Acer etc) are horrible, and places like IbuyPower are making a pretty penny off you skimping here or skimping there in their "custom build" as well as a fee for building it.

No really....learn to build. It's not hard...screw mobo down on risers, plug in the cpu, ram, gpu, PSU cables... it's like playing with lego. Couldn't be easier.
And you pick and chose primo parts.
Edited by DamageInc#1208 on 3/20/2014 7:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 07:23 PMPosted by Looters
03/20/2014 06:41 PMPosted by Augimix
AMD processors and chips have been considered "budget" parts I've used them and i'm happy with the performance.

AMD radeon graphics cards are garbage 70% of radeon users have issues do not get this waste your time and money

Ignore this guy. No idea what he's talking about. Very misinformed.
Exaggerated Rhetoric. I havn't had ONE issue with my 7870 Myst, and before that was a 69502gb....again, no issue.

I had a 560ti once that would give the famous " display driver has stopped responding but has recovered"...do I bash Nvidia and swear them off? Of course not. Stupid...kinda like your take on AMD.
Both red and green team have had their share of rough patches over the years. Untill the bitcoin mining craze inflated AMD gpu prices, they were the best buy.
Edited by DamageInc#1208 on 3/20/2014 7:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 07:26 PMPosted by DamageInc
03/20/2014 07:23 PMPosted by Looters

AMD radeon graphics cards are garbage 70% of radeon users have issues do not get this waste your time and money

Have to agree.

I have had some bad AMD cards in the past, (Radeon HD4570 I think it was) and it seemed the more updated the drivers got, the worse the performance was. And it was coupled to an AMD quad core Phenom.

But I haven't played with many of the newer cards, but I suspect they aren't all bad. lol
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 07:26 PMPosted by DamageInc

I used an older radeon to play d3 at launch. No issues.
Reply Quote
Each time I build a PC every few years, my interest in components seem to evolve.

Before I used to look at only the performance related components, such as the CPU and the VGA card. But now, I obsess over things like a GOLD modular PSU, and mini ITX cases with dust filters, third party cooling fans that are both silent and efficient, etc..

I'm no expert on these things, nor am I an extreme modder who goes water cooling and tries to match the color schemes on all the components in the chassis, but even for a casual builder like me, building is really fun. And the more you build, the more all of these things become interesting.

Right now, I have a Corsair 250D case, and inside are a modular PSU, i5 4570, a wifi mini ITX mobo, GeForce 750 Ti (maxwell). I swapped the stock CPU fan for a Noctua LH9i (if i remember the model number correctly), and I can't be happier with the system at the moment. It runs cool and quiet, and although I say this each time I build a PC, I think it is the best system I have built to date. There's this stronger feeling of attachment for your PC when you build it yourself.

And if you are not sure about building it yourself, at least pick the parts yourself from a site that does the building for you. So that you can first familiarize yourself with the various components and forms required in building a PC. Then maybe for your next system you can venture to build it yourself.

Just my two cents.
Reply Quote
If you think AMD cards are all bad and nVidia is awesome, you might want to google "Bumpgate". Both companies had rough stretches. I would advise nVidia nonetheless right now because AMD cards are better at cryptocurrency mining - their price is ridiculously inflated.

I run 2x7970 in crossfire. Never had an issue.

Anyhow, as many said, build your rig. I'll just give you a little advice. If it's for D3, get an SSD. D3 doesn't require much GPU or CPU power, but it's a monster at eating HDD IO.

Else, an AMD CPU, mATX board, mATX decent case and a mid-range video card like a R9 270X or a GTX 760, with 16Gb of RAM, and you'll have a solid setup for less than 800$ good for 5 years. Computer hardware doesn't improve at the speed it used to, my 2 year and a half old rig is still really solid.
Reply Quote
I just watched that entire Newegg video and I have to say it seems quite easy. The only thing I figure will hurt me will be if I don't order one of those parts and theres a cable missing or something I might get confused.

There are only a few parts where you must do something correctly the first time otherwise you'll have a problem.

As for price, if those pieces aren't too pricey each I might spend the next few days buying and assembling it.
Reply Quote
Keep away from AMD, nothing but slow trash. Get an I7 and load it up.
Reply Quote
Assuming your processor and ram can handle it, I'd prioritize like such:
1) Video card
2) Solid state hard drive
3) Everything else.
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 08:12 PMPosted by ginnix
Keep away from AMD, nothing but slow trash. Get an I7 and load it up.

You mean relative to Intel sure...AMD's cpu's aren't as good.
In reality, AMD cpu's game absolutely fine.
For clarity I'm not talking about their APU's. They're low end garbage.

I have my fx-8350 at 4.6ghz under a Noctua NHD-14. No complaints at all.

1080p+ , at high image quality settings, in most scenarios Intel vs AMD just simply doesn't matter.
Oh and LOL @ suggesting an I7 for gaming. horrible advise. No one that has a clue what they're talking about advises people to get an I7 for gaming. Waste of money. You will not see a difference vs an I5.
Edited by DamageInc#1208 on 3/20/2014 8:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If you live near DC I can help you build it.
Reply Quote
There is a lot of good advice here, I just add my own experience.

If you go for the DIY route (which is undeniably the cheapest) and do it for the first time, you may want to consider to get the parts from a local store and not order online.
If you have the parts shipped to you from an anonymous online store most likely no one is going to help you out, when you screw up and things don't work as expected.
If you did buy the parts from a local store it is very likely the store clerks are willing to help you out, at least you should be able to bring them the stuff and have them build it together for you for a fee, if you get completely lost.

I was in exactly that situation when I built my first rig years ago. I didn't attach the cooling fan for the CPU properly and kept getting bluescreens one or two minutes after booting. The guys at the local store fixed that for me in a minute.

If you have good friends with PC building experience it is a different story, but you most likely have not otherwise I guess you wouldn't have posted here.

PS: don't be afraid of DIY, I did it with every computer ever since that first one and it is not that difficult. Be careful, but not afraid. It's not brain surgery or rocket science :)

EDIT: as no one seemed to mention it: also take care when choosing the casing for the computer. The air flow is quite important for keeping your components cool, and the fans are the major source of noise. It might be worth to check the dB - number on the fan/case combination to get a clue how noisy the rig will be.
If you build your own rig you will want to get a big case for the first time as well. Having plenty of space for everything makes assembling that much easier.
Edited by Shiimiish#2825 on 3/20/2014 8:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Stupid question, if I buy a regular hard drive around 1TB and then a SSD thats about 120GB, does it matter which is my primary hard drive?

I know its best to put the OS and the games I play most on the SSD and then like iTunes and everything else that isn't as important on the other HD, but when I install the OS it'll give me a chance to choose where it goes rather than just defaults it (or I could switch it and move one to the other).
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 08:40 PMPosted by Paragon
Stupid question, if I buy a regular hard drive around 1TB and then a SSD thats about 120GB, does it matter which is my primary hard drive?

I know its best to put the OS and the games I play most on the SSD and then like iTunes and everything else that isn't as important on the other HD, but when I install the OS it'll give me a chance to choose where it goes rather than just defaults it (or I could switch it and move one to the other).

Use the SSD as your primary. You want the OS on that drive. And your main programs. You can re-map your documents, pictures, moves, music etc to the HDD for storage.

I got around having to have an SSD for playing games by purchasing a high speed 32GB USB 3.0 memory stick. Does the same thing and is way cheaper. Works great on my i5 system. My Dell laptop has an SSD drive, so... meh.

You can just connect only the SSD and setup 7 to it. But if you make sure that the SSD is the first drive setup and chosen in the boot order as the first storage drive, you will be fine. Obviously the boot order can be whatever you want, but I typically run optical drive first, then the primary storage drive second. I usually disable things like lan boot and what not.
Edited by DTMAce#1687 on 3/20/2014 8:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]