Diablo® III

Buying a gaming computer

Yeah because essentially I'll be using the computer for the OS and the games, its a gaming computer. The iTunes and such will be on there so I can listen to music but not worry about it taking up too much space. The SSD is strictly for games and OS really, and anything that needs the speed. I just was wondering if you can move them back and forth, but the OS should stay where it is.

Thank you all so very much. And obviously this is all intended for RoS :D
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 07:26 PMPosted by DamageInc

I had a 560ti once that would give the famous " display driver has stopped responding but has recovered"...do I bash Nvidia and swear them off? Of course not. Stupid...kinda like your take on AMD.
Both red and green team have had their share of rough patches over the years. Untill the bitcoin mining craze inflated AMD gpu prices, they were the best buy.

Actually I had the 550TI myself, same issue. Finally was fixed with a later driver thank goodness. Still using that card, works great now. Lappy uses a 555m version. But as usual, laptops just don't fall into quite the same place as a desktop can. lol
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 06:43 PMPosted by Blackhært
03/20/2014 06:38 PMPosted by Paragon
I am thinking of buying a gaming computer mainly to play Diablo 3 but other pc games as well such as Skyrim and so on.

Please DO NOT tell me not to buy D3, I already have it.

Ok so I want to buy a computer from iBuyPower, its a website and i can customize computers. My thing is what kinds of processors and chips and whatnot should i try to purchase while keeping the cost low.

I do want to buy an NVIDIA geforce, otherwise I just want decent quality and able to play games at anything BUT the lowest possible settings.

Halp please :D

You ever think about looking up a youtube video on how to put your own together? Its much cheaper, and you can chose the parts you wants. The internet is full of free step by step instructions.

Makes we wonder why people even still go to college!

You know, I used to build my own PCs but now I get them Made To Order.

Why?

Well once you start getting fancy with overclocking and water cooling, it's very easy to mess things up. And if a part doesn't work, the warranty can be tricky.

On the other hand, pay a bit extra and not only do I save myself a lot of work, I also have peace of mind that my PC will work, and if it doesn't they will make it work.

OP - are you in the states? What are you looking to spend?
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 08:56 PMPosted by Paragon
Yeah because essentially I'll be using the computer for the OS and the games, its a gaming computer. The iTunes and such will be on there so I can listen to music but not worry about it taking up too much space. The SSD is strictly for games and OS really, and anything that needs the speed. I just was wondering if you can move them back and forth, but the OS should stay where it is.

Thank you all so very much. And obviously this is all intended for RoS :D

Yeah. When I dropped in the SSD for the laptop, I used the migration software they provided, cloned the drive, swapped it out, then cleaned and tuned it up. Boots to the desktop in less than 20 seconds now. Used to take nearly 2 minutes. I bought the Samsung 840EVA 250GB. Nice fast drive. The laptop has a mechanical 500GB 7200 RPM drive for D. (Dell XPS L702X) Just install your programs on the SSD. They will all run much faster there.
Reply Quote
[quote="121870619289"][quote="121849419557"]
I had a 560ti once that would give the famous " display driver has stopped responding but has recovered"

i dont know too much about computers so can you kind of elaborate on that? im kinda having that problem right now with my card and idk how to fix it. my card is a gigabyte amd radeon hd7790 2gb gddr5.
Reply Quote
Yeah I live in NY. I don't want to spend a crazy amount but I also know there are certain things you can't skimp on.

What I want is to have at least 8GB or RAM, a decent graphics card to go along with it, an SSD around 100 GB I guess and a 500GB - 1TB Hard Drive for all my miscellaneous crap. Otherwise I don't really have any major goals, I'm just super tired of playing all games on the lowest settings possible on my laptop lol
Reply Quote
Man ... this is not the right forum to ask about building a computer. Why don't you go on tomshardware or similar and read up on the build guides?
Reply Quote
I agree but I also don't need an insane amount of technical jargon that I won't understand. Essentially you can't really screw it up.

I think what I'll do is just use an external hard drive instead of buying one to install since I already have one. That should be possible right? To just use an external hard drive as my regular one. It's not like the desktop will be moving... ever.
Reply Quote
http://bootableusb.net/make-bootable-external-hdd-install-windows-78/
Reply Quote
Might I suggest a 250 GB SSD?
I don't know what programs you will have on your PC, but these days footprints of programs are quite big and they will only get bigger. Plus with Windows constantly updating itself, not to mention all the other programs doing the same thing, I think some headroom is always nice.

Now, you can probably get by with 120 GB without juggling programs too much, but the price of SSDs are at such a good spot that 250 should be a really nice buy.

I had a 64GB SSD previously, and I jumped straight to a 250GB and I've already used up a little over 100GB.
Reply Quote
Boutiques (ibuypower, cyberpower, etc.) are fine if you are willing to pay more. If you're okay with that, go ahead.

Advice:

CPU: Choose Intel. You basically have two choices: i3 4340, or i5 4670k (the K is important). The i3 is beefy enough to handle modern games; the i5 is going to last several years and can be overclocked in the future (easier to do with your watercooled PC).

Cooling: Liquid cooling is the reason you buy boutique. Go with it.

GPU: whatever you want to pay for. Look at Tom's Hardware for reviews. AMD Radeon R7 260X is fairly good value for low end; nVidia is better at the high end with their 760 and 770 GeForce models.

RAM: pick a brand name manufacturer and 8-16 GB. Not a huge deal.

HDD: Definitely get one. 1TB is dirt cheap and gives you a lot of storage space. I like SSDs a lot, but that's something you can add down the line.

Power Supply: most important thing here. Choose a power supply with 80 Plus or higher certification. The default power supply they will try and sell you is trash, and is likely to cause problems for you down the road.

Everything else: not really important.
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 09:08 PMPosted by Paragon
Yeah I live in NY. I don't want to spend a crazy amount but I also know there are certain things you can't skimp on.

What I want is to have at least 8GB or RAM, a decent graphics card to go along with it, an SSD around 100 GB I guess and a 500GB - 1TB Hard Drive for all my miscellaneous crap. Otherwise I don't really have any major goals, I'm just super tired of playing all games on the lowest settings possible on my laptop lol

You may not like my advice, but if there is one thing you absolutely don't want to skimp on it's a graphics card. Right now, if I was on a budget I would go for:

Processer: A decent I5 or I7.
Graphics card: Geforce Gtx 780ti.

Anything else is fairly flexible.

Again, how much are you looking to spend? You can spend maybe $1000 and get a PC that will play most stuff today, $2000 to play everything for about 2 years moderately well or $3000 to play everything for about 2 years extremely well.

If you want a very good desktop building premade, I would go for OriginPC.com. They aren't cheap, but not as exhorbitant as Alienware and all of my friends stateside strongly recommend them.

I'm in Japan, so I don't have access to them, but if I was building a rig, they would be who I would use.
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 09:38 PMPosted by Paragon
I agree but I also don't need an insane amount of technical jargon that I won't understand. Essentially you can't really screw it up.

I think what I'll do is just use an external hard drive instead of buying one to install since I already have one. That should be possible right? To just use an external hard drive as my regular one. It's not like the desktop will be moving... ever.

I wouldn't advise it.

Even with USB3.0, you won't be playing games directly off it. And 100GB on a SSD really isn't much with your OS on there.

EDIT: Derp. I just saw $800. You *can* buy a PC for that, but you are going to be cutting corners a little.
Edited by Starbird#1360 on 3/21/2014 1:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 06:54 PMPosted by DTMAce
I just put together a quote for my brother. 900 bucks, and its a pretty stout setup for the bucks.

i5 Haswell 4430 85W, Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H, 16GB DDR3 1600, 500GB WD Black, Blu-Ray combo drive, nVidia GTX 660 2GB 192Bit, 7 Home 64, Corsair PSU CX500W. Will get the job done.

AMD has a lower price point per feature, but I have always felt the best performance was with intel. I have built plenty of both. Have a couple of the quad core AMDs around here. But have never been as happy with them. Anyway.

I build computers for a living, so I like to think I have a fair hand at it. But that's my opinion.

No you don't and if you did, i wouldn't recommend you to anyone with those terrible part choices
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 06:54 PMPosted by DTMAce
AMD has a lower price point per feature, but I have always felt the best performance was with intel. I have built plenty of both. Have a couple of the quad core AMDs around here. But have never been as happy with them. Anyway.

While it is true that Intel has better performance given the relatively same chip specs, you won't notice the difference when playing video games, let alone Diablo 3 or Skyrim.

And they're half the price.

The only reason I'd dish out the cash for an Intel chip is if I were doing heavy processing/encoding/compiling. Otherwise, you'll get the same performance at half the price from an AMD.
Reply Quote
CRAY III
Reply Quote
03/21/2014 12:55 AMPosted by Starbird
Again, how much are you looking to spend? You can spend maybe $1000 and get a PC that will play most stuff today, $2000 to play everything for about 2 years moderately well or $3000 to play everything for about 2 years extremely well.

Ehhhhhhhh... I spent about $875 building my rig about four years ago and I still play games released today, with no issues whatsoever.

If you spend $3000 on a gaming machine, that will most likely allow you to play games very well for about six-eight years or more, given you take care of it.
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 09:38 PMPosted by Paragon

Those forums have build guides for specific setups... aka budget gaming PC... They basically list out exactly how much the parts are and what to get... Plug that into ibuypower or whatever and hit ship

Edit: The posters also have verifiable history that they know what they are talking about. Unlike anyone on this forum
Edited by Minami#1237 on 3/21/2014 1:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/21/2014 01:32 AMPosted by Yura
03/21/2014 12:55 AMPosted by Starbird

Ehhhhhhhh... I spent about $875 building my rig about four years ago and I still play games released today, with no issues whatsoever.

If you spend $3000 on a gaming machine, that will most likely allow you to play games very well for about six-eight years or more, given you take care of it.

I guess it depends. Stereoscopic 3D is my thing, and it tends to take some fairly big guns to pull it off. Ditto anything above 1920x1080.

What sort of rig did you build, if you don't mind me asking?

Even my SLI GTX580s are starting to stumble with some of the newer releases. Crysis 3 was quite brutal.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
03/20/2014 08:58 PMPosted by Starbird
On the other hand, pay a bit extra and not only do I save myself a lot of work, I also have peace of mind that my PC will work, and if it doesn't they will make it work.

Totally agree with this. I probably overpay for my gaming rigs, especially since I also spring for an extended warranty, but when something gets broke, I can either send it back or have a tech stop by and fix it.

For me, it's worth the hassle of trying to figure out what's wrong and then dealing with different manufacturers with their own warranties for each part.

However, that's me. I understand having a budget that precludes luxuries like prebuilt and an extended warranty, so my only suggestion is that you chose parts that will allow you to upgrade in the future. That way, you won't have to build another computer just to upgrade your GPU--unless you really want to.

Edit: It's late and my brain wants to sleep.
Edited by Bird#1227 on 3/21/2014 5:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]