Diablo® III

Rift crashes on my Mac

I get no crash ID when it crashes on me. lost 30 emblems trying to test different scenarios. Its crashed as soon as I open or while in the middle of playing. I have not got past 25% on my bar. Seems the render starts to get choppy right before the crash.

I even tried to slow down the run but some situations you can't slow down.
Blizzard Employee
The crashes from this thread are related to what I'm talking in this post:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12089869183?page=6#117
Hey all- I went thru the D3 trouble shooting and did the following

1. repaired permissions to diabloe folder (they were fine but did this anyway)

2. ran the "Repair" function for D3 thru Bnet desktop app

Neither of those worked, my crashes were very hard..no freeze, just whole game shut off then that annoying "construction" crash icon thing shows up.

After sending a few crash reports to one of the more helpful online chat peeps I ended up installing MacOS Mavericks and was able to run about 30 co-op rifts with no punting. It still feels glitchy and after about 3 rift runs the IG graphics would be all messed up but a quick restart seemed to get it right back. It might not be ideal but at least I wasn't getting the same crash over again after the new (and free) software upgrade

EDIT: will post link to the trouble shooting page when I get home just in case one of those fixes proves helpful to someone else
Edited by marmoset#1939 on 3/31/2014 3:26 PM PDT
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Mine isn't crashing, it just gets the crazy looking video... I have to exit out of Diablo completely and then reload and it's fine. I get a few 'buggy' issues while in Fields of Misery, but after killing a Rift Boss it ALWAYS goes crazy and I have to reload it all...
I never actually crash but at the end of a rift my textures bug out completely. I'm usually lucky if I can finish the rift.

Playing on a mid 2012 rMBP.

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)
Blizzard Employee
This is not a solution but while waiting for the patch, here what I would do.

Before entering the rift, while you are in town, restart the game.
While playing do not switch between window and fullscreen or change your graphic settings. (Do your changes before restarting D3)
Play with a resolution of 1920x1200 or lower.
Just to clarify: Restart the game after opening the rift but before entering it?
Blizzard Employee
Sorry, yes before opening the rift.
You do not want to waste your keys.
04/01/2014 11:21 AMPosted by talope
I never actually crash but at the end of a rift my textures bug out completely. I'm usually lucky if I can finish the rift.

Playing on a mid 2012 rMBP.

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)

Upgrading to Mavericks stopped my crashes but resulted in the same situation. It is nice to know that they have recognized it as an issue. I will try lowering my graphics settings as well
90 Orc Warlock
Can confirm, I'm having this issue as well.
I have been getting constant crashes ever since ros launch.
Before that it was fine.
I'm running osx10.9.2 on a 2012 Mac Pro with 6gig ram.

I would crash about an hour into gameplay, it's not intermittent as it happens exactly 1hour.
Lost my hc toon last night runnin normal. Anyone got a solution?
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
FatTony, you are asking for solution about 5 posts down from a solution (well work around). they are going to fix it when they can. In mean time. since that's a 2012 mac pro (actually a 2010 model sold to you at 2010 prices, in 2012), 6 gigs of ram is certainly not enough for that beast. that's a decent machine. You should bump that to 16 gigs and you'll see a real diff in performance and stability.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#1333-memory (try to pair it smart. Depending on what sticks you have now.)
Edited by MysticalOS#1981 on 4/2/2014 11:27 AM PDT
older imac having the same issues as a lot of these newer machines. I'm running Mavericks. It happens most often after beating the guardian and hearthing to town.
Same problem, crash twice when returning from rift
Finally successfully completed a couple of rifts without crashing.

What works for me at the moment is:
- Disable the in-game sound based on another thread here.
- Set the graphics to low.
- Turn off reflections.
- Never portal to town until after the rift is completely done. This means only picking up what you really care about carrying out of the rift.

However, if I re-enter the rift after leaving, before the timer runs down, I get an immediate crash to desktop.

The only other oddity is a majority of the chests on the map are completely empty. I'm used to seeing something from a chest even if it is just a few pieces of gold.

mid-2012 Macbook Air
OS X 10.9.2
8 GB RAM
When is this patch hitting? This is bad, man. Real bad.
I'm on a late 2013 iMac: GTX 780M 4096 MB - 8GB RAM

Here is what I have noticed - After completing 66 rifts.

I play on 2560x1440 - all max settings (including reflections)

The crash seems to be due to virtual memory on your gpu maxing out - maybe due to textures/graphics maxing out after extending playing.

If I play in party games I never crash, not once. Seems like something is in place here to reset the vram and stop it from crashing

If I play solo - it will inevitably crash when trying to rift - especially if I've just done a few bounties.

Workaround for me: Always play in a party OR always Quit Diablo 3 BEFORE opening a solo rift. I've never had a problem with the game crashing on load screen if I've just freshly launched the application (Frees up the VRAM) - That said I do have a 4096MB video card - so many of you may be experiencing this issue much sooner - Especially anyone with integrated graphics.
04/05/2014 11:04 AMPosted by ZamboniMan
Finally successfully completed a couple of rifts without crashing.

What works for me at the moment is:
- Disable the in-game sound based on another thread here.
- Set the graphics to low.
- Turn off reflections.
- Never portal to town until after the rift is completely done. This means only picking up what you really care about carrying out of the rift.

However, if I re-enter the rift after leaving, before the timer runs down, I get an immediate crash to desktop.

The only other oddity is a majority of the chests on the map are completely empty. I'm used to seeing something from a chest even if it is just a few pieces of gold.

mid-2012 Macbook Air
OS X 10.9.2
8 GB RAM

THANKS! Will try this!

EDIT: Did NOT work.. Ran only one set of bounties, and did complete rift.. made sure area clear , then tried to teleport to town.. Game Froze in transition screen..
Edited by GondorNative#1448 on 4/7/2014 6:32 AM PDT
try to reinstall you d3. it work in my mac
03/25/2014 01:54 PMPosted by mgkmuffinz
It's happening to me too. my game crashes when i try to enter a rift. Blizz plzzzz
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]