Diablo® III

Crusader build

Crusader is too weak, buff all skills damage by x2, fix bugs and he is ready to go.

The post was edited as I changed my mind a bit about crusader since writing this post. First sentence of this post sums up my opinion pretty well. This build was called "OP Crusader build", well, that was exaggeration - I thought this build is amazing as I played with very undergeared people with 2 - 3x less paper damage than me and no elemental bonuses. When I found guys around my damage, I found out that even with this build Crusader is way underpowered. This build is good for AOE (as long as you have 3-4 monsters close, its good), but poor for single target. You need CDR.

The build: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/crusader#eOQlgT!aWgf!aZbbYZ
Edited by inzSzpyt#2718 on 4/3/2014 2:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hammerdin Crusader does great aoe, and ABYSMAL single target.. Sorry, it's just bad.
Reply Quote
It is not hammerdin. It has no resource generator, 5 skills on cooldown and a hammer just to tigger cooldown reduction and deal with trash.
Edited by inzSzpyt#2718 on 3/27/2014 8:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
03/27/2014 08:01 AMPosted by inzSzpyt
Holy cause for heal and 10% holy damage (amazing if you have weapon +holy dmg, good otherwise)

lol..

Meh if you use a holy weapon, does nothing if you don't. There's nothing amazing, that's the worst crusader's passive.

And what do you do when Akarat's Champion is on cooldown and you can't reduce cooldown of other skills ? Spam hammers until you have no wrath, and then what ? Oh yes, nothing.
Edited by tictactucrac#2270 on 3/27/2014 8:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Please guys if you think the build need rework, try to improve it instead of bashing it with no solutions :)
Reply Quote
@tictactucrac: thanks for feedback, but I disagree :)

I added the explaination why I think Holy cause is good.
Holy cause [/b]for heal and 10% holy damage - amazing if you have weapon +holy dmg, good otherwise. HF changes damage to Holy so it benefits HC. Hammers change damage to Holy so it benefits HC. Bombardment is weapon damage, so if you have weapon with +holy damage, it benefits.

When Akarat is on cooldown, well, lets see... Lets assume I have around 30% cdr. Akarat cd is 63 seconds then (and it lasts 20 seconds, so I have 43 seconds without it). Bombardment is 28 seconds cd, Consecration 21 seconds and HF 14 seconds. I wait for these cooldowns, run hammers when I can (I have resource regen on weapon) and attack for 100% weapon damage with "normal attack" when I click on monster. Thats not a big deal, I could attack for 170%-200% for these few seconds if I gave up entire slot for resource generator.
Edited by inzSzpyt#2718 on 3/27/2014 8:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Post with your D3 profile so we can see your crusader please....
Reply Quote
View profile
03/27/2014 08:26 AMPosted by inzSzpyt
Hammers change damage to Holy so it benefits HC. Bombardment is weapon damage, so if you have weapon with +holy damage, it benefits.

It benefits the holy damage part of your weapon. That means about 1-2% increased overall dps. Amazing.

03/27/2014 08:26 AMPosted by inzSzpyt
and attack for 100% weapon damage with "normal attack" when I click on monster.

When this happens, that means something is wrong in your build.
Reply Quote
This is the build im running with http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/crusader#WlQYVf!aYeU!acaaZb

No matter what way you look at it generating wrath right now is the big problem most crusaders face.
You might think well why use HF when it spends soo much of it? Well let me tell you, this skill hits sooo freaking hard. Im using a 2h weapon and im getting up to 12 - 14mil crits and with AC generating more wrath im able to drop elites quickly. When using SG + Law with crit dmg. it combo's nicely! Im generaly 1 hitting trash with HF. my tatic is to gather a load up and then run in a line turn around and hit it and kill loads instantly. This build is probley not the best but its working fine for me.
Reply Quote
View profile
Uh, so the main thing useful about HC is the 1% healing per attack.

I have close to 400k health, many people have even more, so...effective 4k "loh" is pretty awesome, esp if he has so many things running.

I think its an interesting build, and if I ever get a nice 2h (slow) weapon I'll try it out. Nice testing on the skills that do/do not benefit from CDR.
Reply Quote
2Opticalx: switch to Zealous Glare rune, there comes your Wrath.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
The gist of it is akArat champion + rally, CDs to kill bosses, and other skills which proc rally like no other. The CD of most of your abilities is rather short to start with (that's the difference between crusader and everything else. In general instead of a 2.5K% dmg on 1min we have 1.2k% on 30s or 15s etc. If you aren't used to using those on trash (but why do you need that on trash with hammer..?) assuming it's a big mob, using any one of those abilities is fine as they're ridiculously short CD.

In the end it all comes down to akarAts champion: rally is by far the best rune ability crusaders have and it allows you to absolutely destroy elites, with any combination of other CD abilities. For example, judgement resolved helps with survivability and damage for your entire party. It doesn't proc as much as the others, which is likely why he doesn't use it (debate able considering how high it increases damage and you can also have it up 100% of the time. Well except for bosses that are immune to it.)

Oh and when we get the 6set and some solid CDR, you're talking near 70-100% uptime, probably 100% broken considering it also acts like old school ardent defender...aka gives you another life. If rally gets nerfed I'd imagine the armor rune will be used and replace the law for more damage instead, however it really seems rally is the only rune that makes crusaders competitive at the moment.
Reply Quote
@Borgosh
Yeah that might be a nice switch up! But it depends if you want to have the 20% more damage or the extra wrath! Im liking the big crits from it, but i might have a go with the extra wrath. :)
Reply Quote
I forgot to mention most important thing: THIS BUILD IS FUN. People say its so boring, you slash one monster for 10 minutes with poor spenders and poor generators... Yeah, crusader was quite boring without this build. But this build is nothing like it. You lure as many monsters as you can and you get the party started, launch Bombardment every 3 - 5 seconds, you drop HF and it is ready to use almost instantly, you move 10 yards and drop Consecration, that almost instantly resets your cooldowns and you drop everything again. If you get enough toughtness you can take the law with movement speed or Steed Charge, because LAotL is bugged and does not work properly.
Edited by inzSzpyt#2718 on 3/27/2014 9:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/27/2014 08:49 AMPosted by Opticalx
@Borgosh
Yeah that might be a nice switch up! But it depends if you want to have the 20% more damage or the extra wrath! Im liking the big crits from it, but i might have a go with the extra wrath. :)

Well the 20% isn't that much if you can fill your Wrath with glare and keep pumping... There's also leg shield (I think), that makes glare aoe, not just frontal cone.
Reply Quote
03/27/2014 08:39 AMPosted by Opticalx
This is the build im running with http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/crusader#WlQYVf!aYeU!acaaZb

No matter what way you look at it generating wrath right now is the big problem most crusaders face.
You might think well why use HF when it spends soo much of it? Well let me tell you, this skill hits sooo freaking hard. Im using a 2h weapon and im getting up to 12 - 14mil crits and with AC generating more wrath im able to drop elites quickly. When using SG + Law with crit dmg. it combo's nicely! Im generaly 1 hitting trash with HF. my tatic is to gather a load up and then run in a line turn around and hit it and kill loads instantly. This build is probley not the best but its working fine for me.

You aren't getting 12-14 million damage crits. Just ....no.
And nice level 8 Wizard there ( with no other characters)
Edited by DamageInc#1208 on 3/27/2014 9:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes for some reason i cant get my EU profile up! its going on my USA one, well i dont know how to switch it! well you can believe what you want! but i am going from my personal experience mate.

And judging from your character ur gear is not as good as mine. i have 600k sheet dmg and 7mil toughness. Im using a 2h legendary weapon, its slow but the dmg on it is high.
Edited by Opticalx#2134 on 3/27/2014 10:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/27/2014 09:54 AMPosted by Opticalx
Yes for some reason i cant get my EU profile up! its going on my USA one, well i dont know how to switch it! well you can believe what you want! but i am going from my personal experience mate.

And judging from your character ur gear is not as good as mine. i have 600k sheet dmg and 7mil toughness. Im using a 2h legendary weapon, its slow but the dmg on it is high.

I take it back, humble apologies. I crit for 5.5 mill with bad my current bad gear.
I'm at 450k dps in game 11 mill toughness.
I've ditched my previous build for yours. Liking it. I was using FotH: retribution.
Edited by DamageInc#1208 on 3/27/2014 10:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah its a nice build, since you got a fast weapon you will generate wrath a little faster than my weapon. http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Opticalx-2134/hero/38554914 thats my current gear the reroll's on stats from mystic dont show for some reason :/ .Was playing with judgement for buffing my friends damage, and stead endurance to keep up with him ( he's a monk lol ) Move soo slow with the 2h spec :/
Edited by Opticalx#2134 on 3/27/2014 10:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I just tested the build OP sugested.

It certainly has potential, my Crusader is 65 for now, while i strugle a little to single target and boss, this build certainly is good for big pack mobs of elite. My gear is awful and i am certain that with the right gear this build will be gold.

The OP needs to be aware about the Holy Damage, it does not benefit any physical damage skills even if you use a Holy Damage sword.

It benefits skills that clearly you read Holy Damage like Heaven's Fury.

Not on topic, but i saw many people arguing about the Tank capability of the Crusader.
If you combine Divine Fortress with other's Block increase abilities, you will be gold.

My main is a Monk, and i never ever thought about tank Fire Chains, Freezing Pulse and Thunderstorm, i just did all at the same time with my templar at level 65 playing T1.
Well, lets see later on endgame.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]