Diablo® III

@Iria: What should be done?

So, if you're right, pvp is essentially just a !@#$fest of oneshots. I have yet to do serious pvp in RoS, but truth be told, it seems like you're right.

So, my question for you (one of the most experienced players on this board) is this: What could potentially be done?

To me, the control levels seem right about where they should be. Save for smokescreen, the ways of breaking control seem to be right where they should be as well. As for smokescreen, I think the best nerf to it would be to cut damage output while inside it down to 40% or something. That way, a DH could still USE their hatred nukes while in it, but it wouldn't be an all-encompassing skill for offense OR defense. 40% instead of nothing at all would still allow you to finish off low hp opponents by aggressing within a smokescreen.

As for the damage output as a whole, I think the pvp damage penalty should be increased. I don't know how much yet, because I haven't gotten a good amount of play in, but that seems like the most logical way to fix the ridiculous burst damage output that players are capable of.

Crusaders... I don't know. Steed's cooldown seems abysmal, among other problems, but I'm sure we'll see buffs to them soon anyway.

I want to know your opinions on the state of the game, and more importantly, what to DO about it.
I know we probably won't get a blue post in these forums EVER, but I'd like the information myself.

Thanks, bossman.
Reply Quote
Without doing some high-level analysis, some simple fixes (only to be active during PVP) could include:

Player and pet damage taken and life recovery from all sources is decreased by 90%.

While from the outset this may appear to make players very very difficult to kill if they stack toughness, the life restoration reduction will make it so the battles last longer but do indeed end eventually (avoids stalemates). An alternative is to simply multiply each player's life by say 4-5 in the Scorched Chapel; however, there are many skills which heal based on a percent of the player's life which would ruin that approach. There could be an adjustment to this rule for Barbarians and Monks who have a slightly higher damage reduction in the Scorched Chapel (e.g. 91% reduction or something).

Cooldown reduction is capped at 25-50%.

The reasoning here is most defensive abilities in the game are based on cooldown. By capping this, players cannot remain in a state of invulnerability or near-invulnerability full-time. There is an issue with Smokescreen however; players with 25% cooldown reduction can remain permanently invincible until they run out of discipline. This can be on the order of 20 seconds in extreme cases! With the other change (damage and life restoration reduction), where the fights will last longer, the Smokescreen issue becomes less severe as the DH will likely exhaust their discipline before the other player dies, granting the opportunity for a counterattack.

CC reduction and damage are fine with the above changes; but eventually, some skills and equipment might need to be readjusted individually for PVP. For example, the following equipment is problematic for PVP: Blackfeather, Danetta's set, Jade Harvester's set, etc.
Reply Quote
Ah yeah I agree fully with the cooldown thing.

As for the 90% reduction, I'm not sure about that. 90% seems extremely high. Also, I feel like 90% reduction to healing attributes will severely limit the desirability of things like Mantra of Healing, let alone regen on gear.

I really like the idea of varied builds in pvp, and a build that sacrifices tankiness and damage for a good amount of self healing seems like a cool thing to support. I personally wouldn't play it (I'm a wizard lol) but I don't like the idea of negating the possibility of that.

A 90% reduction would essentially completely devalue healing stats on gear. That seems like a negative thing to go for. That being said, if damage is scaled ludicrously low, healing would have to be changed in SOME way. Otherwise, like you said, duels would be endless. It's definitely a tough problem.

EDIT: Another issue with the regen nerf is that it would indirectly buff the strength of percentage based healing effects. Potions are the most obvious example. If damage and regen were too low, it might be extremely hard to kill someone, given the 30s cd on potions. Players would be able to hug LoS until a potion was up, without much detriment. The vapors rune for Smokescreen is another example, among others. They would be effective healing based things, in an environment that lacked accessible healing from gear/stats.
Edited by Shevros#1874 on 3/27/2014 2:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well there is always my other method which involves a logarithmic diminishing returns on things:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415463296

Note: this was written during 1.0.6 before the PTR introducing brawling existed, yet my experiences still line up with what I said back then (in 2012 lol).
Reply Quote
tried to post this before not sure why it didnt go through.

for those of you interested in monk pvp - epiphany does not follow a smoke screened DH... was thinking that we can potentially create a 50% uptime epiphany, desert shroud (-50% dmg taken) rune monk that is super tanky and can chase DH around.

oh well.. .there goes that theory lol.
Reply Quote
03/27/2014 11:13 AMPosted by Iria
Player and pet damage taken and life recovery from all sources is decreased by 90%.

I've done a bit of brawling since RoS came out, and I was thinking the exact same thing. Damage and Healing need to be reduced by a similar or equal amount, and things would kind of work themselves out. Capping CDR and even Crowd Control Reduction would probably be for the best as well. In addition to the items you mentioned, I think all of the Immunity "instead of damage from this source it heals you" necklaces are a bit ridiculous in every aspect of the game, and would be even more so for PvP.
Reply Quote
I didn't know brawling was of interest to you phanick.
Reply Quote
Might as well put up a sign that says "No Crusaders allowed" with a 25% CDR cap. 50% is fine I guess, but that's a rare number.
Edited by SentientLore#1673 on 4/16/2014 11:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/16/2014 11:37 PMPosted by SentientLore
Might as well put up a sign that says "No Crusaders allowed" with a 25% CDR cap. 50% is fine I guess, but that's a rare number.

I was only using it as an example, obviously there are so many issues with PVP at the moment it would take a team months to fully work everything out. There might be some quick "fixes" that could be employed to allow for a more fair environment. I have heard reports of legacy Natalya's DHs going around cheesing PVP with 100% invincibility. The best move is not to play with them; I even strongly denied one from entering my clan because of that cheater's attitude towards the game.

Right now, with all skills, all gear, and all builds allowed, DH has the obvious upper hand to the point that most match ups are 100% unwinnable by the other player. What makes this really annoying is that the DH doesn't even have to have any decent amount of player skill to win now.
Reply Quote
[quote="125030960313"]Right now, with all skills, all gear, and all builds allowed, DH has the obvious upper hand to the point that most match ups are 100% unwinnable by the other player. What makes this really annoying is that the DH doesn't even have to have any decent amount of player skill to win now.

i fully agree. and i play dh. danettas are way op. legacy natalya is probably way op, too, but i've never even seen a single piece of that set, while everyone and his mum can easily gamble/find danettas. makes u pretty much invincible, too. not 100% though, but 1.5 sec stuns with every vault dealing 4*1M+ dmg 1hits everyone with enough dps to 1hit u. also, fastest movement speed in the game, so whenever u take damage or your opponent uses a cooldown to get out of stun, just vault away...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]