Diablo® III

Next Expansion will divide the Nephalem

We will have to face the choice to be the savior or the doom of Sanctuary.

They set it up perfectly. We have destroyed the Prime Evil, the Angel of Death. But now it is time to fight the battle within ourselves. We have ultimate power, will we choose to destroy our fellow nephalem or aid them.

Now my version of the perfect next D3 would be to have your character choose a side, the good Nephalem or the bad Nephalem and play the expansion based on what you chose, and then integrate PvP into this system and allow bad nephalem and good nephalem to duke it out in Sanctuary.

However, that is wishful thinking and I highly doubt it will be that way.

But I am excited to see what the next D3 expansion has to offer, and I will be playing RoS nonstop until then.

May we all ease the chaos.
Reply Quote
What's the point of calling the game Diablo when HE was the most pathetic of all the bosses?

Now they really dug themselves too deep in this wreck of a story. Big deal the seven evils are free. You've become so powerful that you could now slaughter them in your sleep.

The only logical outcome now is to fight another nephalem in the expansion. Less they do the unthinkable and have Diablo and Imperius combine to form Megatron.
Reply Quote
Diablo should come back for the final expansion, and he should be victorious. That's the only way to redeem him. Think about it: he has been a complete joke for a while, with silly plans that never make sense, and always being defeated by the heroes.

At the end of Warcraft III: TFT, Arthas was victorious and became the Lich King. All of Azeroth feared his wrath.
At the end of Starcraft: BW, Kerrigan had the most powerful army in the Koprulu sector and Terrans and Protoss were terrified of her.
At the end of Diablo III, Diablo is destroyed/banished after his mess of a plan fails miserably, and your hero is the most powerful being in creation, far more powerful than any demon or angel.

So imho, in the next expansion Diablo should finally win. Yes, your character will kill hordes of demons/angels, but in the final fight, once you "defeat" the last boss (Diablo), there should be a cinematic where he somehow defeats the Nephalem. Then he destroys the High Heavens, and succesfully uses the Black Soulstone to destroy all the demonic taint in humans, making them regular, non-superpowered mortals. After this, he is ready to invade Sanctuary in full force with no one to oppose him...

Nice cliffhanger, paving the way for a future Diablo 4. As i pointed out, Blizzard has previous games where the "bad guys" win. This should be amazing if it ever happens in Diablo.
Edited by Grulo#1278 on 3/28/2014 7:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 01:52 AMPosted by Ghoulz

The only logical outcome now is to fight another nephalem in the expansion. Less they do the unthinkable and have Diablo and Imperius combine to form Megatron.

The name you are looking for is "Metatron".

Also, I think it will be far more likely that there will rise other Nephalem who are now quite aware of the existence and tendencies of both angels and demons, and don't take kindly to how either have treated the human race.

Despite what Tyrael and Imperius might fear, our characters are not likely to fall to corruption and become the next "Big Bads"... at least not as they are now.

A more insidious turn of event would that newly awakened Nephalem from around the world (thanks to the recent "do or die" scenario put forth by Maltael), band together and seek to tear down the Heavens and root out Hell.

Our characters would of course have to stop this, but that would mean slaying their fellow Nephalem for doing what might be the safest bet for humanity's continued survival. To make matters worse this might all be an elaborate ploy by Diablo because he knew he couldn't take us head on, and so now we have to slay people who are just trying to protect their families.

That might actually mess us up... And to make this personal, Tyrael might have convinced other angels into taking a mortal form, and these would be the first targets the new Nephalem would take on (probably in revenge for the Death incident), Our characters are pretty fond of Tyrael, and this might give them a reason to take action.
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 07:30 AMPosted by Grulo
Diablo should come back for the final expansion, and he should be victorious. That's the only way to redeem him. Think about it: he has been a complete joke for a while, with silly plans that never make sense, and always being defeated by the heroes.

At the end of Warcraft III: TFT, Arthas was victorious and became the Lich King. All of Azeroth feared his wrath.
At the end of Starcraft: BW, Kerrigan had the most powerful army in the Koprulu sector and Terrans and Protoss were terrified of her.
At the end of Diablo III, Diablo is destroyed/banished after his mess of a plan fails miserably, and your hero is the most powerful being in creation, far more powerful than any demon or angel.

So imho, in the next expansion Diablo should finally win. Yes, your character will kill hordes of demons/angels, but in the final fight, once you "defeat" the last boss (Diablo), there should be a cinematic where he somehow defeats the Nephalem. Then he destroys the High Heavens, and succesfully uses the Black Soulstone to destroy all the demonic taint in humans, making them regular, non-superpowered mortals. After this, he is ready to invade Sanctuary in full force with no one to oppose him...

Nice cliffhanger, paving the way for a future Diablo 4. As i pointed out, Blizzard has previous games where the "bad guys" win. This should be amazing if it ever happens in Diablo.

Having Hell win would be an awful end to the game and would be miserable to play. And yes, there are games where the bad guy wins and some of these I do really enjoy.

However, there is no way to separate the demonic or angelic parts of a person without destroying the whole, and the whole point of the Diablo universe is that the battle between good and evil is a constant and shifting balance. It's at the very core of creation.

Even should Heaven and Hell be utterly destroyed, and every lat angel and demon be destroyed permanently, Mankind has the potential of both sides and will continue to fight among themselves to either preserve or pervert the world.

Heck, even when there were only two beings in creation, when they killed each other, the universe itself ensured that the qualities of each stayed alive. That's why we even have angels and demons in the first place.
Edited by Kveer#1526 on 3/28/2014 7:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Diablo could win by killing, say, Tyreal, and then build some new limiter to stop the super saiyans. Then we could go back to normal people heroes standing against the unbeatable encroaching evil. I don't think there's really a lot of room for Blizzard to keep pulling more powerful monsters out of nowhere, and as said it's not right when other humans are the biggest and most powerful threat in a game series basically about the devil.
Reply Quote
The diablo universe is a UNIVERSE. It is not just about Diablo. Yes he is the guy on the cover but they're a million other storylines and the game has to progress. I wanna kill all the bosses not just diablo in 4 different ways! I love the lore to this game and I love how they are branching out. Diablo will always be my favorite boss but I think they should keep him on the writing board for diablo 4. Have him come back, but this time build it up more; and revolve the story around him.
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 07:30 AMPosted by Grulo

Arthas as a villain won because You the player is on his side.

Kerrigan as queen b!atch of the universe won because the cerebrate---You the player-----led the Zerg swarm victory against all three factions

Regardless of villain or the ""good guys" being victory, the player ALWAYS win in Blizzard games

Your suggestion of Diablo winning would ONLY be an option if Nephalem can somehow side with the Burning Hells (as OP suggested) and win alongside Diablo. If this is the case, I am all for a Diablo-winning end.

The key about video game stories is that player participation contribute positively to the ending.
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 10:02 PMPosted by Veloric
Your suggestion of Diablo winning would ONLY be an option if Nephalem can somehow side with the Burning Hells (as OP suggested) and win alongside Diablo. If this is the case, I am all for a Diablo-winning end.

Agree 100%. Give us the choice to determine our next expansion fates. It would work as it is the last expansion. Only problem I forsee would be in Diablo 4. They could not say indefinitely which way the nephalem sided in Diablo 3 therefore the personal choice would not be a factor in D4. Which would be tough for a lore fan like myself. As the history books would be split down the middle.
Reply Quote
One of the best ways to predict what the expansion might involve would be to look at what's going on in each of the 3 universes:

Sanctuary - Millions of people worldwide would be dead. Every civilization in the world would have mountains of dead bodies and ruined cities to deal with. We would be busy re-building. Malthael caused more devistation than any of the demons ever did. Angels would come to be hated even more than demons by many. The world would take generations to fully recover.

Heaven - Heaven would still be re-building from the Prime Evil's destruction, and there would be a major rift among the angels. Some angels would have sided with Malthael, while others would have been opposed. When Malthael is re-born, it could mean a civil war.

Hell - Despite losing many demons, all of their overlords have now been returned to them. Hell itself is structurally intact, and possibly even unified under the Prime Evil if the 7 are still one. For these reasons, Hell is clearly in the best position, and they may use the recent events with Malthael's holocaust to turn the people of Santuary into allies.

In the future, I see a lot of humans siding with demons. I see a strong unified Hell and a weak fragmented Heaven that's on the brink of a civil war. The next expansion should give the player options. Those options could include taking a pro-Heaven, pro-Hell, nephalem supremacist, or a fully good stance.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
03/30/2014 02:34 AMPosted by Starblazer
In the future, I see a lot of humans siding with demons. I see a strong unified Hell and a weak fragmented Heaven that's on the brink of a civil war. The next expansion should give the player options. Those options could include taking a pro-Heaven, pro-Hell, nephalem supremacist, or a fully good stance.

This is Blizzard we are talking about. The most player control they have ever given to the story is in near inconsequential manners.
Reply Quote
The problem in Diablo 3 , storywise, is about power levels i guess. Like the trend in World of Warcraft, Blizzard is making a mistake here. Always increasing numbers and selling this as progress.

We are stronger than any demon or angel. We are stronger than death. Next expansion, the numbers will increase, monster become more powerful, but we still beat them, becoming more stronger than something else also. .. After a while it will become like we were cheating lore - wise.

Problem is , story is told and game is executed so that we are winning because we are powerful.

We should be winning because we are "smarter, have allies, have faith in humanity" etc.. This way you dont need to level up the epicness of villain and power levels every time. This way, our heroes may have weaknessess , we may have doubts, lore-wise challenge would be possible.

Remember Superman. It was super at first,he will always win, people didnt like it, Then came the Kryptonite. (worldstone fragments? :D )

Otherwise we are going to hurl supernovas to our enemies, ( wizard already creates black holes o.O) . Fight Galactus or sth. and beat it with a Superior club (white) in hand.
Reply Quote
From the ideas above, my prediction would be similar that more Nephalems will awaken their powers and some will wage war against heaven (and maybe hell).

The player will be told that both heaven and hell should exist (there should be a balance) and will fight the Nephalems above. In the end, he will find a way to re-seal the Nephalem powers (maybe sacrificing self in order to re-create/piece together the worldstone).

With the hero powerless or dead and the heaven still re-building itself, things look good for hell - which could be Diablo's plan all along. ending scene shows that the forces of hell marching to attack either or both heaven and hell. and thus having the same gloomy ending that both diablo1 and 2 (+expansions) had.
Reply Quote
The difference is that in Warcraft you do not invest in a character that is you. You are playing characters in a predetermined story and not one you developed yourself.
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 01:52 AMPosted by Ghoulz
What's the point of calling the game Diablo when HE was the most pathetic of all the bosses?

Now they really dug themselves too deep in this wreck of a story. Big deal the seven evils are free. You've become so powerful that you could now slaughter them in your sleep.

Diablo tapes together the Worldstone and uses it to control the Nephalem, forcing them to engage in war with one another. You must resist the corrupting influence of Diablo and defeat him before he infuses himself with the power of the Worldstone.
Reply Quote
The whole concept of the Nephalem being far stronger than any angel or demon greatly limits the places the story can go. The game loses all sense of suspense or challenge when you know your character is orders of magnitude more powerful than any supernatural threat in the cosmos. The story needs to find a way to either limit or entirely do away with the concept of Nephalem superheroes to have a hope of making the demons or angels credible to the story or gameplay again. As it stands, the only believable threat out there is going to come from your fellow party members.
Reply Quote
Don't forget Diablo always has a plan :P He will use Leah to make us destroy some angels (maybe even Tyrael?) and in the end we will fight him for sure.

If not the fact we all know there will be more expansions, current ending would be nearly perfect to start D4 - all evils free, main hero can be another boss, most of loose ends (companions stories etc) got finished.
Edited by Terkhev#1409 on 3/31/2014 7:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It's called the ETERNAL Conflict for a reason. It doesn't end.

Diablo will never be permanently killed. He's the only character in the series with Plot Armor.

It'd be like Mario dying in a Super Mario Bros. game and having it be permanent. Doesn't quite compute, does it?
Reply Quote
You can go ahead and give up any notion of our characters ever siding with Hell. It just won't happen.

That's not to say that the Nephalem won't get fed up with this eternal conflict BS and flip both the Birds and the Beast a one fingered salute, and go Shen Megami Tensei Neutral on both parties (ie: fight and destroy both Heaven and Hell... at least temporarily).

But that's only if doing so will aid Sanctuary and provide its people peace and protection.
Reply Quote
03/31/2014 08:48 AMPosted by Kveer
You can go ahead and give up any notion of our characters ever siding with Hell. It just won't happen.

As every person always says "never say never".

I would agree with the notion that Blizz does not like to differentiate from their "norm" but they have already implemented a similar system in WoW with the Horde and Alliance.

It could happen brother!

Fight for Diablo, kill Imperious!

03/31/2014 08:18 AMPosted by StuFF
Diablo will never be permanently killed. He's the only character in the series with Plot Armor.

Agreed, he will always find a way to come back, and as Nephalem we have the responsiblity to defeat him wherever he may come up. We need to chain him up and lock him so his soul can never be freed. Imperious could have but his rage got the better of him.

03/31/2014 07:33 AMPosted by Terkhev
Don't forget Diablo always has a plan

He isn't just brawn! He's got the brain to go with it!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]