Diablo® III

Next Expansion will divide the Nephalem

03/31/2014 05:42 AMPosted by Legion
The whole concept of the Nephalem being far stronger than any angel or demon greatly limits the places the story can go.

I will have to disagree, it only opens the story for countless opportunities. This game finally has the chance to give a boss a "underdog" story. I know my wizard in RoS was a cocky son of a B! It would be quite interesting to see a boss outsmarting the nephalem for being too full of themselves.

As history has shown, once a person rises to place of ultimate power, it is 99% downhill from there!
Reply Quote
03/31/2014 11:32 PMPosted by NoSSlayer
03/31/2014 05:42 AMPosted by Legion
The whole concept of the Nephalem being far stronger than any angel or demon greatly limits the places the story can go.

I will have to disagree, it only opens the story for countless opportunities. This game finally has the chance to give a boss a "underdog" story. I know my wizard in RoS was a cocky son of a B! It would be quite interesting to see a boss outsmarting the nephalem for being too full of themselves.

As history has shown, once a person rises to place of ultimate power, it is 99% downhill from there!

Why on earth would you want a villain that isn't a threat at all until he pulls a deus ex machina out his !@# at the last second?
Reply Quote
04/01/2014 12:01 AMPosted by Legion
Why on earth would you want a villain that isn't a threat at all until he pulls a deus ex machina out his !@# at the last second?

That is not really what I was meaning. I simply meant that when a character gets too powerful, the only place he can go is down, and it would be interesting to explore the option of having a struggling boss who gains enough power to take you on. It is usually vice versa! Change is good to those who can take it!
Reply Quote
Honestly, I think the next expansion should take place in Hell entirely. Perhaps a pre-emptive Nephalem invasion of Hell to prevent the newly freed Lords of Hell from uniting to crush the weakened world Malthael left behind?

Think about it. The most exciting thing in D2 was getting to see that twisted glimpse of Hell. Also, I'm sure we're all curious as to what modern Blizzard thinks Andariel, Duriel, Baal and Mephisto look like. Plus, you could easily justify greatly increased "power levels" for the bosses, since you could say that naturally they are vastly stronger in their centers of power. Hell, you could milk the material for a couple of expansions out of this.

Alternately, maybe Hell itself isn't prepping for a massive invasion, but rather the hero departs on an intensely personal journey to redeem Leah's soul, trapped in Diablo's domain. I know this isn't exactly Diablo's forte, but they should try to provide a bit of ambience, to show the depravity and horror of the different areas of Hell, and how the different Lords implement their horrific visions. (Imagine Andariel emotionally tormenting you over your failure to save Leah, etc.)

While you're there, you could even set up the next expansion by accidentally releasing, say, Inarius (who was at one point the most powerful Angel, now twisted and tortured in Mephisto's realm.) He even has motive to immediately strike out at the nephalem now on Sanctuary, since he was defeated by a Nephalem.
Reply Quote
There's a third choice. You could choose to do nothing and let the two sides figure it out for themselves.
Reply Quote
04/01/2014 11:38 AMPosted by SlyDevil
I think the next expansion should take place in Hell entirely.

It would give it an authentic D1 feel. We need to start from sanctuary and work down the layers of hell. Give Diablo that "dungeon" feel it once had!
Edited by NoSSlayer#1356 on 4/1/2014 2:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/01/2014 01:56 PMPosted by Ishtar
There's a third choice. You could choose to do nothing and let the two sides figure it out for themselves.

That would appear to be about 60% of the Diablo community right now!
Reply Quote
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think that providing some lore on, basically, "Location-based power" might be necessary.

I mean there's a general consensus that Blizz sort of wrote themselves into a corner in terms of one-upping themselves. You already defeated Diablo as the "Prime Evil". What more could there possibly be to do in the Diablo universe?

However, if you say Diablo would be strongest in Hell, specifically in his domain, then you could say that he'd be weaker on sanctuary. Where would he be even weaker? Heaven. Weakest? The pinnacle.

So you could say "Yes, you fought the Prime Evil - at the one place in the universe where he'd be his weakest." That could at least provide a plausible excuse. Unless Blizz wants to pull out AN EVEN BIGGER, CRAZIER, MORE INSANE bad guy for every expansion. How many of those do we have left anyway?
Reply Quote
View profile
I think Imperius and Diablo will begrudgingly team up against the Nephalem, as both came to fear the Nephalem's powers. The animated short "Wrath" as well as Diablo's fight with Imperius in D3 establish a connection between the two, so it would be neat to play it up in an eventual final chapter. The Nephalem may have to destroy the Crystal Arch in the end and force the surviving Angels into becoming mortals like Tyrael.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 4/1/2014 4:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/01/2014 03:52 PMPosted by SlyDevil
So you could say "Yes, you fought the Prime Evil - at the one place in the universe where he'd be his weakest." That could at least provide a plausible excuse.

I wouldn't call it an excuse as much as a purposeful doing to continue Diablo. We fought Diablo in the depths of the dungeons in D1.

04/01/2014 04:03 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
I think Imperius and Diablo will begrudgingly team up against the Nephalem, as both came to fear the Nephalem's powers.

I agree. Imperius's rage will lead him places that angels do not want to go.
Reply Quote
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think that providing some lore on, basically, "Location-based power" might be necessary.

I mean there's a general consensus that Blizz sort of wrote themselves into a corner in terms of one-upping themselves. You already defeated Diablo as the "Prime Evil". What more could there possibly be to do in the Diablo universe?

However, if you say Diablo would be strongest in Hell, specifically in his domain, then you could say that he'd be weaker on sanctuary. Where would he be even weaker? Heaven. Weakest? The pinnacle.

So you could say "Yes, you fought the Prime Evil - at the one place in the universe where he'd be his weakest." That could at least provide a plausible excuse. Unless Blizz wants to pull out AN EVEN BIGGER, CRAZIER, MORE INSANE bad guy for every expansion. How many of those do we have left anyway?

But that means you will have three new problems:
1) If the demons were stronger in hel, then the angels would have to be stronger in heaven
2) if the angels were stronger in heaven and the demons were weaker in heaven, then how the heck did the demons ever get so close to breaking into the heaven and destroying the crystal arch before? the angels could just stay amassed in heaven and thus create a force far greater than anything that hell could throw at them
3) we fight azmodan in his stronghold. he is as powerful in that stronghold of his as he was ever going to be, and he was a pushover there.

So location based power makes no perceptible difference.

The easiest way for Blizz to write themselves out of the hole is to have our character become a god and then make one of the conditions of being a god being an inability to interfere in the war between angels, demons, and the inhabitants of sanctuary.
Reply Quote
There is always the Kulle iption...path.
In diablo lore the hero is always fouled dupped to do something that thinks is write only to turn out its all a greater plan.

In d1 hero decides to showel the soulstone in his head.
In d2 we fail to protect the world stone.

Also remember that the mystic says that imperius will hate us for what we are gonna do...my wiz says that she does not think its possible for him to hate her more... then the mystic says you have no idea.

I dought she was talking about killing Maltheas as then Impirius was helping us and he wanted to stop Maltheas too... dough it was the when we kill matheas and dsstroy the stone. That is nkthing to fred about too it had to be done and the angles would have done it too.
So what are we gonna do to piss him so much??
Reply Quote

Phase 2 of that fight takes place in Diablo's realm of terror. You know, at the one place in the universe where he'd be his strongest.
Reply Quote
I like the idea of Diablo winning.

At the end of Diablo II, Baal could be declared as the winner.

At the end of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, nobody was the winner (when it first came out, a lot of people thought Word Stone being destroyed meant the entire World got destroyed with it).

These got changed later on when more story was revealed, but it was cool at the time.
Reply Quote
04/02/2014 10:04 AMPosted by Bryan
At the end of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, nobody was the winner (when it first came out, a lot of people thought Word Stone being destroyed meant the entire World got destroyed with it).

You bring up a good point. Diablo doesn't have to win, nor do we have to win. Something could destruct and make both Diablo and our jobs harder for D4.

04/02/2014 09:09 AMPosted by Grulo
Phase 2 of that fight takes place in Diablo's realm of terror. You know, at the one place in the universe where he'd be his strongest.

I'm not sure he is his strongest in the realm of terror. Any proof?
Reply Quote
How about Mephisto for the final boss?

Always liked him most out of all the evils.
Reply Quote
04/02/2014 05:08 PMPosted by BlueSteel
How about Mephisto for the final boss?

He was a great boss battle. He is one of the three great evils. Him or Baal would be the logical next final boss. But I feel that Blizz will take this story in another direction, and I wouldn't doubt them going for a 60$ expansion and adding 2 acts.
Reply Quote
When Malthael sucked some of the "demonic parts of human heart" didnt it make diablo stronger?
He already is a prime evil + Imperius going insane. What if they both hook up. Have a nice dinner in the evening watching romantic movies and plotting how to kill the nephalem together. By using the shards to suck demons and angels inside them or controll them somehow. Making them a kind of superpowered being.
Reply Quote
Fighting Diablo+Imperius makes no sense. The Nephalem at this point could crush the two at the same time with a mean look. The other lords of hell would also pose no threat.

I believe the next expansion will deal with saving Leah. Which brings up an interesting question: where do the souls of dead nephalem/humans go? Some kind of afterlife has to exist. If such an afterlife exists then the souls of ancient nephalem heroes such as Bul Kathos, Esu, Rathma, Uldyssion, as well as the heroes of Diablo 1 and 2s should also reside there. Heaven and hell were both terrified of the power that these ancient nephalem possessed. Uldyssion for instance was far stronger than any angel or prime evil. The afterlife is a great place to introduce powerful new enemies and bosses without mucking up the story by making Imperius a level 80 boss whos stronger than Malthael with the black soulstone or how Adria is so much stronger than any vanilla Diablo 3 boss(including black soul stone Diablo himself).Its also a great place to add more depth into Leahs character by letting her interact with her father.

Things I want to see if they decide to set the expansion in Valhalla.

*The main town is almost identical to Tristram from Diablo 1. Grisworld, Farnham, Cain by the fountain etc. Original music. A throwback to old times.
*Pepin sells rare potions with a set number of charges that can be recharged. He can also craft rare potions.
*mid-way boss battle between you and all 7 heroes from Diablo 2.
*Final boss is an ancient Nephalem champion who has figured a way to bring people back to life. He is currently building a nephalem army so that he can invade heaven and hell in retaliation for attempting to genocide early humans.
*Expansion ends with the hero bringing Leah, Cain and others back to life. This is the only possible way I can forgive Blizzard for killing Cain.
*New expansion class is either Necromancer or Warrior.
*level cap raised to 80. New skills, legendaries.
*actual pvp.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]