Diablo® III

Next Expansion will divide the Nephalem

100 Night Elf Death Knight
05/20/2014 10:33 AMPosted by DrunkMarine
What about in the final cut scene of Reaper of Souls, when Tyrael is talking about how the Nephalem (us) has a mortal heart, so may become corrupted? Surely Tyrael is also vulnerable to corruption then (since he too is mortal now), and with him having the most powerful weapon in all of creation, he could be a pretty challenging final boss.
But I doubt this will happen in a D3 Expansion.

You got it in one. Tyrael still thinks like an archanges, but is mortal, and all too fallible. In fact I think it would be a very interesting twist if that becomes the crux of the matter. The black soulstone tainted heaven and all who dwelled in it...except Tyrael, as he was mortal.

Heaven may very well fall, not because of some outside force, but because of it's own impossibility. Heaven is the realm of ultimate order, but through their interactions with humanity the angel's eyes have been opened, and now they know that not everything is foretold, that fate itself -the very bulwark of their existence- doesn't really exist. At least, for mortals, humans and Nephalem.

Most of the other archangels are already chafing at Imperius' rule and even actively working against him. Situations are arising that call for flexibility the angels don't have...but mortals like Tyrael do.

Perharps fate shattering isn't the angel himself dying, but discovering that his purpose is finished. The scrolls of fate dictated that Diablo was going to destory heaven and that was it, only it didn't happen. Heaven is at ends, with no predestined fate before it, and that's tearing them apart. So what does Ithrael do? Becomes something that can exist outside fate. Mortals.

Hell is pretty much down for the count. The lords are dead, the Prime is reincarnating and it's legions are shattered. Oh, and there's nothing that keeps the Nephalem and any others he/she find from keeping hell in that state. Really. Just what in hell is going to stop the Nephalem from popping into hell from time to time and killing everything that moves?

The entire balance is out of whack, and the only thing left on one end of it is heaven itself.
Reply Quote
05/20/2014 02:49 PMPosted by Aldones
Heaven may very well fall, not because of some outside force, but because of it's own impossibility. Heaven is the realm of ultimate order, but through their interactions with humanity the angel's eyes have been opened, and now they know that not everything is foretold, that fate itself -the very bulwark of their existence- doesn't really exist. At least, for mortals, humans and Nephalem.

Itherael can only see various possibilities due to angels' and demons' present actions. His predictions aren't inevitable.

Fate/determinism would exist if Itherael was omniscient. Anu was, but when Tathamet killed him his state of omniscience was shattered.

Heaven and order, just like Hell and chaos, would (or should per lore) always exist. That was the whole point with Anu. Anu could not/did not rid himself of chaos and evil, just like Tathamet couldn't get rid of his opposite.

05/20/2014 02:49 PMPosted by Aldones
The entire balance is out of whack, and the only thing left on one end of it is heaven itself.

Maybe in Sanctuary, but not really in the universe? Before humans came along the angels and demons "balanced" each other out, and humans are already "balanced".
Reply Quote
I was guessing the same as the others that other nephalems will rise up and try to eradicate both forces of heaven and hell to attain true "freedom" as the lore showed that no side is better than the other. In the next expansion, I can see that a band of Nephalems will form a group and you as a character has to fight them. After all the fighting, you realize that you are becoming more and more like the other evils if not The Prime Evil in which the saying goes in the internet "You can die a hero or live long enough to be the villain.".
Reply Quote
05/21/2014 09:57 PMPosted by Vayeate
I was guessing the same as the others that other nephalems will rise up and try to eradicate both forces of heaven and hell to attain true "freedom"

I'm hoping this isn't how it ends, because it's an ending that changes nothing at best.

05/21/2014 09:57 PMPosted by Vayeate
the lore showed that no side is better than the other.

That was according to Trag'Oul in the Sin War books. He mentioned that throughout the Eternal Conflict whatever the angels and demons came across they inevitably destroyed whether they wanted to or not. I'm really not sure how Trag'Oul thinks it'll ever be different with the Nephalem.
Reply Quote
What if you end up journeying into Hell to find Diablo so you can beat his ghost, and absorb his essence into you so you can fight Imperius?

Like, what if the second expansion is set five years after RoS, and the Zakarum faith is on the rise in the east. You start in the jungle lands, where the ruins of the Zakarum faith are being restored by pilgrims, and discover that there is a faction bent on world dominion under direct instruction from Imperius, and another faction consisting of the crusaders and Tyrael that believes in free will... and a cult within the faith that worships the prime evil, and you wind up being forced after Tyrael turns on you to seek out Diablo's disciples and join them...?
Reply Quote
Hey atleast with demons they don`t send you alone 24/7, so i`m for it. Only have to rename myself from demon hunter....
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 07:30 AMPosted by Grulo
Diablo should come back for the final expansion, and he should be victorious. That's the only way to redeem him. Think about it: he has been a complete joke for a while, with silly plans that never make sense, and always being defeated by the heroes.

At the end of Warcraft III: TFT, Arthas was victorious and became the Lich King. All of Azeroth feared his wrath.
At the end of Starcraft: BW, Kerrigan had the most powerful army in the Koprulu sector and Terrans and Protoss were terrified of her.
At the end of Diablo III, Diablo is destroyed/banished after his mess of a plan fails miserably, and your hero is the most powerful being in creation, far more powerful than any demon or angel.

So imho, in the next expansion Diablo should finally win. Yes, your character will kill hordes of demons/angels, but in the final fight, once you "defeat" the last boss (Diablo), there should be a cinematic where he somehow defeats the Nephalem. Then he destroys the High Heavens, and succesfully uses the Black Soulstone to destroy all the demonic taint in humans, making them regular, non-superpowered mortals. After this, he is ready to invade Sanctuary in full force with no one to oppose him...

Nice cliffhanger, paving the way for a future Diablo 4. As i pointed out, Blizzard has previous games where the "bad guys" win. This should be amazing if it ever happens in Diablo.

Sweet idea. I am bored of World of Warcraft and I don't like The Elder Scrolls: Online. I want another Blizzard crafted MMORPG. World of Diablo, please. :D
Reply Quote
I like the idea about the awakening of the nephalems!

Since heaven and hell are both unbalanced, then a mysterious group nephalems will create a group (a powerful group) that will seek to conquer both heaven and hell under a new regime.

And at the end, the final boss will be found out to be diablo disguised as one of the 5 nephalem bosess (formed the group), pulling his strings one by one. Each nephalem boss you defeat, their soul is freed somewhere and Diablo is collecting those souls, so that he, along with the other prime evil can be one with the nephalem souls and then boom Diablo 4, a much much powerful diablo or something.

So in this case, heaven will try to defend its territory, and forbid any contact with any nephalem including you, so you're gonna have to break in and fight a couple of angels only to find out that Tyrael is imprisoned by Imperius (because he doesn't want Tyrael to intervene). Then you journey through different worlds defeating each nephalem in that mysterious group. It's like each nephalem boss has a theme, having their own legion of followers capable of casting certain elements.
Edited by AeolousSenju#1948 on 5/30/2014 11:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
What are you ppl talking about, diablo has always been a hero saves the day and it should stay that way. Why would u want to be evil when the story has always been revolving around the idea of you are a wanderer. All hell breaks loose and you are trying to figure out a way to stop the prime evil. I for one do not support this idea if you wanna be on a evil side or.....go play wow. Diablo should not be like WoW, if anything it should evolve more from diablo 1/2. We are already in a loot depression the options are still not what they used to be, the lack of charms, runes, jewels, also the weapon crafting is lacking so bad it's not even funny. If anything I think that blizzard should be focusing on bringing back the customization that D2Lod brought to us by its expansion and patch! The drops are getting better and they are trying on the loot, I think we should be encouraging them to add new features instead of story. Until that is the way it should be, we should not be looking for more story.
Reply Quote
05/31/2014 05:34 AMPosted by Slayer
Diablo should not be like WoW, if anything it should evolve more from diablo 1/2.

Lol. Action RPGs don't really have a lot of wiggle room for evolution. I'd like to see Diablo cross into a new genre. I think that an MMORPG based on Diablo's rich (if they'd actually bother to use it properly) lore.
Reply Quote
05/24/2014 09:51 PMPosted by DracArgentum
Like, what if the second expansion is set five years after RoS, and the Zakarum faith is on the rise in the east. You start in the jungle lands, where the ruins of the Zakarum faith are being restored by pilgrims, and discover that there is a faction bent on world dominion under direct instruction from Imperius, and another faction consisting of the crusaders and Tyrael that believes in free will... and a cult within the faith that worships the prime evil, and you wind up being forced after Tyrael turns on you to seek out Diablo's disciples and join them...?
Well all of that would be decent except Tyrael couldnt really be a good villian unless he cast El'druin away. Because El'druin cant harm the innocent.
Reply Quote
I Really think turning Diablo to an MMORPG is a bad idea but for selfish reasons I don't like MMO'S but I do see the why others do. if they do make an MMO I won't play it. I don't think Diablo should become an MMO because even with companions Diablo has a feeling of isolation you feel like your on your own and no one can do what you do in the games. I say keep it how it is Single player with the choice to make it mulitplayer it doesn't need to be like WOW to be fun, I'd miss Diablo if it was an MMO because MMO nuder the violence (less blood) I feel the story gets lessened when I did play WOW I found the most of the quest was kill X number of (insert monster's name here) well at near the beginning and I found the story was well tame. these are just my personal thoughts, but i do think how it is right now is great I mean if it ain't broke why fix it?
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 01:52 AMPosted by Ghoulz
What's the point of calling the game Diablo when HE was the most pathetic of all the bosses?

Now they really dug themselves too deep in this wreck of a story. Big deal the seven evils are free. You've become so powerful that you could now slaughter them in your sleep.

The only logical outcome now is to fight another nephalem in the expansion. Less they do the unthinkable and have Diablo and Imperius combine to form Megatron.

try fighting him in ubers he's more fun then esp on higher torments, however after you kill maltheal you find out from tyrael that the soulstone has been destroyed meaning all the demons inside including diablo have now been released
Reply Quote
If memory serves me well, the Nephalem, was supposed to be power house, after all they were stronger than their parents, and there was something about Uldyssian being the only other Nephalem, as strong as your current character.

I do indeed agree, Diablo should redeem himself, in the upcoming sequels/expansion,
However I believe, that him losing like a piece o crap' in Diablo 3, was plausible, given the story that came in the "mini guide book" when I purchased D3 seemed to mention that the Nephalem is a powerhouse.

So yea, a second Nephalem, would be epic :3 A battle of wits perhaps :D
After all, Adria did say that Diablo will be back, there's just soo much left untold, those who hate on the story, should just wait it out.

I neither dislike or hate the game, but I believe the story can pull itself out of this wreck, maybe this is a setup for what's coming next! After RoS was really a good expansion in my opinion (although it would've been much more preferred if D3 was made that way in the first place ._.)

Regardless, I hope I'm not off topic, and that I'm just typing this cause it's my first post on here
lol.

*fingers crossed for a second expansion soon!*
Reply Quote
I want to see some interaction with Trag' Oul. He's the ultimate being of balance and created the Necromancers for that very reason. The Necromancers are essentially failing at their job and the hosts of Heaven and Hell have easy access to Sanctuary at this point.

Mortals are reaching the point to where they can dictate their own fate. The hosts of Heaven and Hell will want these super beings on their side to aid in victory. But what of the balance? Trag's very existence relies on this and he knows that the Universe's very existence relies on this.
Reply Quote
If there is a second expansion, I don't think Diablo will be directly involved since beating the crap out of him twice in the same game would probably kill a potential fourth Diablo game someday. You know a bit like they killed all relevant character from the previous story line in world of warcraft, now I wish them good luck to make another warcraft game with at least a mediocre story line.

That said, I have no idea what big plot can occur for a second Diablo 3 expansion, another Nephalem? Nah, they made us kill Zoltan Kulle for absolutely no reason, he didn't even want to kill the player, he just told him to be careful after he realised someone used his stone during his slumber, and somehow that's a good reason to start a fight... (wtf blizzard, you just meaninglessly killed someone that could have brought you a decent story line... again...).
Then I would dream to kick Imperius butt... but the big bad angel concept was taken with Malthael, but I supposed it could still be used if the plot is around mankind trying to emancipate themselves from both angels and demons (which was Kulle's plan...)
And only last plot i see plausible might some sort of war between the mortals themselves.

Edit: By the way, notice that Tyrael is no longer justice but wisdom... so in a sense... there's no more justice? There might be something to build around that.
Edited by Dokh#1500 on 6/9/2014 8:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
this game rocks but could use some work nice comet about the games though
Reply Quote
A possibility for a pretty neat expansion could be that our character recognizes the danger in the Nephalem having nearly unlimited power, but realizes that if the power were to disappear, humanity would once again be at the whim of the Demons and Angels. This leaves a logical solution open to our hero: Rebuild the Worldstone!

With the Worldstone rebuilt, it would sever the ties between Sanctuary and Hell/Heaven. Simultaneously, the limit on the Nephalem's powers would return, rendering all humans as puny as they were before. As our Nephalem sets out on some quest to find a bunch of organs that will for some reason allow him to rebuild the Worldstone by stuffing them all in a box and spam-clicking TRANSMUTE, news of his journey gets around. That's when things get ugly.

Another Nephalem decides that he WANTS the power that he has and thinks that it is worth the cost of constantly battling Hell. This results in him and his followers creating a serious problem for us. Not to mention, trips to Hell and Heaven will have to be made in order to repair the Worldstone, in which case Demons (and maybe Angels, but idk why they would be against the Worldstone being repaired) would be lining up to stop us. (Maybe Baal will try and stop us, since he broke it in the first place) Ultimately, the necessary links to Hell and Heaven are made, both the forces of hell and the power-hungry Nephalem adversary are defeated, and the Worldstone is restored! A nice happy ending.

Until...

A post credits movie shows a Sanctuary way after the events of D3, finally rebuilt after all the war. There are no more Nephalem and people live generally peacefully. Then it shows us the Worldstone we worked so hard to restore begin to weaken and crack (like it did in the first place to begin D1) over time. Hell, and all the evil that comes with it, slowly creeps back into Sanctuary. Eventually enough of it gathers in one place, a cathedral in a no-name town, and creates a deep bore in the floor...
Reply Quote
94 Human Warlock
I like this idea as tyreal after the defeat of malthael claimed that the hero was one that could defeat the champions of heaven and hell but was still a mortal that had to fight the temptations of evil. after all diablo II the villan was the hero of the first, however that should come in diablo 4.
the second expansion should involve the heroes downfall toward evil or against the franchise allow the player to be good or evil and at the end pit you against the archangels and nearly defeat them only to fail at the end paving a good start for diablo 4, with the angels being weakened levels the playing field for evil to grow and threaten the high heavens in time for a new hero. Glorious
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]