Diablo® III

Melee Wizard Builds as of RoS

Hey there! Currently doing a Disintegrate build which is all fine and dandy but I wonder if there are any viable melee wizard builds out there as of RoS and if so can someone link or give me the rundown of certain skills to use?
Reply Quote
i mess with this build http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WROjQS!ZdiX!bYcacc
T1 np/ T2/ depends on the elite pack type , I try to have good life on hit/kill
Reply Quote
im running a melee archon build.
Reply Quote
I would call my build melee.

main damage comes from arcane orbit so you have to be nice and close, I use spectral with barrier blades and magic weapons deflection along with prismatic armor to get as tanky as possible. familiar can be swapped for whatever you'd like, I can't be without teleport, especially with illusionist it can get you out of a jam quickly.

passive wise, illusionist to reset tele, blur for more defense and then two of the new passives audacity and unwavering will.

I switched off being a frozen orb wizard and couldn't be happier...
Edited by k1llface#1568 on 3/31/2014 3:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/31/2014 03:54 PMPosted by k1llface

main damage comes from arcane orbit so you have to be nice and close, I use spectral with barrier blades and magic weapons deflection along with prismatic armor to get as tanky as possible. familiar can be swapped for whatever you'd like, I can't be without teleport, especially with illusionist it can get you out of a jam quickly.

passive wise, illusionist to reset tele, blur for more defense and then two of the new passives audacity and unwavering will.

Arcane Orbit huh? How would you deal with Act bosses like Diablo and Malthael, do you just switch out the arcane orbit for a ranged spell like Ray of Frost?
Reply Quote
didn't you just say you wanted to run melee? orbit works okay but its really great when staed with moonlight ward. throw on the passive that slows things that take arcane damage, get some audacity, and go to town.
Reply Quote
03/31/2014 04:23 PMPosted by IRONLORDBUTZ
didn't you just say you wanted to run melee? orbit works okay but its really great when staed with moonlight ward. throw on the passive that slows things that take arcane damage, get some audacity, and go to town.

Well yeah but Malthael in particular just says '!@#$ you' to melee with his abilities, I doubt a Wizard can withstand Malthael up close so I reserve such fights for ranged abilities. Would like to be proven wrong if this isn't the case.
Reply Quote
View profile
My build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#RQcjSO!ZdSi!YaZaZZ

Simple, works great and is hellafun
Reply Quote
03/31/2014 04:21 PMPosted by AnathemicOne
03/31/2014 03:54 PMPosted by k1llface

Arcane Orbit huh? How would you deal with Act bosses like Diablo and Malthael, do you just switch out the arcane orbit for a ranged spell like Ray of Frost?

I stand next to them spamming spectral and refreshing orbit as necessay, when I need to reposition I can usually just walk around to the other side of them... when things get dicey I have teleport to b-line out of things like Malths death clouds, those are brutal...
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WcQjfS!RiZc!YZcacc

I've been having a ton of fun meleeing with this build. I have a Moonlight Ward for additional orbs and Thunderfury for the lightning damage on Elemental Exposure. YMMV without Ward, but the build can be tweaked depending on what element your weapon has on it if you don't have Thunderfury.

edit: like k1llface said above, bosses are just a matter of repositioning intelligently and being aware of how much damage you can take. I stack quite a bit of toughness on my gear and Maltheal is the only boss I have to regularly run out of melee range on.
Edited by proxyclams#1708 on 3/31/2014 5:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/31/2014 04:32 PMPosted by AnathemicOne
03/31/2014 04:23 PMPosted by IRONLORDBUTZ

Well yeah but Malthael in particular just says '!@#$ you' to melee with his abilities, I doubt a Wizard can withstand Malthael up close so I reserve such fights for ranged abilities. Would like to be proven wrong if this isn't the case.

Event Horizon, Safe Passage, run around him in circles... It's doable... I got my first kill on him (in T1) using an Orbit/EB build, with much less stats than I do now.
Edited by couchy#1938 on 3/31/2014 5:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@proxyclam... why run prodigy? our builds are practically the same and hardly resource intensive?!?!?!
Reply Quote
I go dry quite often spamming arcane orb. You get an instant hit on activation and its significantly higher dps to refresh it after the first orb pops.
Reply Quote
I usually run AO melee wiz.

I do have 2 Loot 2.0 items massively holding me back DPS wise; but I can't bring myself to get rid of them for survivability.
My Dark Mages Shade with Diamond Skin every 17 seconds when close to death
My String of Ears; that rolled with -30% melee damage.

Ever since someone posted about Mirror Image and event Horizon, I've been fairly hard to pin down by any elites. I have no Cool Down Reduction; but can almost always have a blackhole down when I need it due to the mirrors.

The Mirrors balls DO suck in enemies and absorb projectiles.

I have heard that they also affect Malthaels various projectiles; I haven't hit him with this build yet but when I do I suspect I won't be worrying too much about melee'ing him.
Edited by MeateaW#6431 on 3/31/2014 6:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I play a melee wizard. Calamity and Illusionist (not to mention Prismatic) make it all possible.
Reply Quote
I was playing an arcane orbit build and really liked it. Barrier blade and deflection really make it hum. And black hole event horizon helps a ton vs elites to get rid of all their high damage crap they throw around. Illusionist + Fracture is key here since your clones also cast black holes, which really keeps elite affixes in check.

What I'm running right now is a little more gimmicky, I'm using the cold rune on meteor, so I just drop the meteors on myself or on my black hole and slow all the mobs. I can facetank T2 and it's a pretty fun change up from all the regular builds.

Seems like there's actually a lot of options for melee, I played around with both wave of force and explosive blast as well. Both had potential it seemed.
Reply Quote
Running a cold meteor melee build. Don't have epic gear yet but its very fun.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]