Diablo® III

Barbarian game mechanics info (2.0.6)

Thanks for the plethora of information, but when skills calculate weapon dmg, do they average between the 2 weaps if I'm dual-wielding? Thanks again
Reply Quote
04/01/2014 03:58 AMPosted by zapro
04/01/2014 02:50 AMPosted by Nubtro
Hey man, I´ve spent some quality time on this. I can confirm that there is the visual bloodshed explosion from the initial rend crit tick but I´ve yet to see any actual bloodshed damage done to nearby enemies. I recorded even zoomed in and kept track of monster health bar numbers, all the usual stuff...

I should probably formulate it as "doesn´t proc bloodshed damage despite visually displaying the blood explosion on the intial tick". I´ll look into it again. One of the mechanics that has been bugging me since I tested it.

Slaughter.

Classic one word posts.

Anyway, I found the time to (re)test this thoroughly and here are my observations.

tl;dr version:
- Rend may proc Slaughter
- Rend doesn´t proc Bloodshed damage

---

Rend and Bloodshed
Rend and Slaughter

The game performs two rolls on* the same frame:
(1) critical hit (crit or no-crit)
(2) critical hit proc (Slaughter or Bloodshed)
Usually, this occurs on the same frame as Life per Hit responses.

* Which is grammatically correct, on/at/in the frame? English is not my first language.

Rend is a specific damage over time skill which only performs one critical hit roll on the same frame as the fury globe response occurs and the red rend sign above monsters appears. If a crit rolls, all 25 rend damage ticks will be crits. If a crit didn´t roll, all 25 rend damage ticks will be non-crits.

The Bloodshed effect is triggered on the crit roll frame.
The visual explosion portion does occur when Bloodshed procs.
But there is no Bloodshed damage portion because there is no damage to be spread on that frame as the very first rend damage tick occurs 12 frames after the LoH heal/crit roll.

The main difference between Slaughter and Bloodshed lies in the fact that Bloodshed requires damage to be dealt on the same frame as the proc occurs, while Slaughter only requires the crit and Slaughter proc rolls to occur.

Other differences include Slaughter also damaging the main target that procced the effect and being able to crit itself. In this sense, Slaughter acts as a separate attack. Bloodshed simply applies 1/5 of the main crit to nearby enemies.

Knowledge in practice:
- from a pure Rend perspective, Into the Fray or Marauder´s Rage are better suited than Bloodshed to increase its damage output
- seeing as Rend only performs one crit roll, in high density situations ItF should be the clear choice here
- remember that Rend may proc Area Damage on each of its 25 damage ticks
- Rend may proc Slaughter upon casting for each target affected, so don´t be afraid to use the two skills together

04/01/2014 07:00 AMPosted by Uber
I've missed you Nubtro. *Bro hug*

Help me with threatening shout and superstition vs elites/rift boss new bag of tricks?
Some hit way harder and it was leading me to believe some where actually physical, similar to i believe it was fire chains and mortar?

I also swear you had a good writeup about threatening shout vs elites ground effects but all i've been able to dig up is here-say and theory.

Elite affixes are on my to-do list, but kind of not in the imminent future. What can I say, I like a controllable environment and elites do whatever they want.

That being said, Threatening Shout reduces all damage taken, doesn´t matter which element.

Superstition is where the fun begins. I am fairly certain they´ve changed desecrator from physical to fire. Molten and Fire Chains are safe fire bets. Chains deal a lot of damage by themselves, IMO only rivaled by Slaughter entrance into an Electrified pack, that´s why it may seem like no amount of mitigation helps :/

We also generate Fury by taking damage and Superstition by itself reduces that particular gain by 20%, which makes it difficult to judge how much you gained from what source. I´ve done some early affix test attempts but it´s very time consuming.

04/01/2014 07:16 AMPosted by Littlefinger
Thanks for the plethora of information, but when skills calculate weapon dmg, do they average between the 2 weaps if I'm dual-wielding? Thanks again

If the general skill info (column "H") mentions "alternates hands to deal damage" then each hit applies the weapon you swung with.

Ancient Spear for example would deal main hand damage then off hand damage then main hand damage then off hand damage etc.

On the other hand, skills like Avalanche, Rend and Earhquake will always use the main hand weapon damage range even if you dual-wield.
Reply Quote
04/01/2014 02:50 AMPosted by Nubtro
Umm I could gather 50 mobs around me and see how many take damage but that´s too much work lol.

Good to see that even stat nerds have limits.

<3 Nub...

Welcome back?

Hmm...
Reply Quote
Very good to know threatening shout works against the elements :) this was the main thing i wanted to know so i could properly play around with grim harvest/reaper wrap build :D

That was the also the biggest issues i had attempting to figure out elemental damage from the rift bosses. They do what they want and i didn't really even attempt a controlled environment.
Poison is one of the ones i'm suspecting the most to deal some kind of physical, unless it just hits harder at slower ticks. It's fury gain from superstition doesn't seem to add up compared to others. Most of the replays i watched poison is such a pain as well trying to figure anything out, if i get hit with 1 or 3 that tick, doesn't help i'm moving all the time and ya... I guess should be attempting to get info below the T's so i can stand in a single line and check that replay. I don't know how you do it man <3
Maybe i'll try and set something up when i get home today. No regen, normal mode, no bonus resist single element gear and a with and without superstition fight would be the best way to check right?
Reply Quote
Thanks so much man! You're work is very much appreciated! I will put it to good use!
Reply Quote
You rock, Nubtro!

Almost makes me want to update my gear efficiency thread but then gear min-maxing isn't exactly necessary nowadays, every single build relies on few specific legendaries so straight-forward that there isn't much to optimize. I'll just keep playing until everyone manages getting the same items =P
Reply Quote
View profile

The game performs two rolls on* the same frame:

* Which is grammatically correct, on/at/in the frame? English is not my first language.

[/quote]

"In" would refer to the start of one frame to the end of that frame (during). "On" and "At" would mostly be understood as the start of the frame. I think all would be understood. :)
Edited by RagingKoala#1984 on 4/1/2014 12:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Where have you gone Nubtro ?
Reply Quote
View profile
Different warcry runes no longer override each other in party play.
Reply Quote
04/01/2014 04:22 PMPosted by LearnedHand

Thank you. I only just got the chance to confirm this. Same effects still don´t stack but you gain the benefit from different runes.

Hardened Wrath + Impunity for example would grant 40% armor and 20% all resistance and not 40+20% armor.

Anyway, this is a positive change.
Reply Quote
View profile
Thanks for the info Nub's!
Reply Quote
View profile
04/01/2014 04:22 PMPosted by LearnedHand

Thanks did not notice that :)
Reply Quote
As a sidenote Avalanche - Tectonic Rift is a bit perticular: you can have much more than 3 charges. Via time passing the skill won't go over 3 stacks, but once at 3 stacks the fury spent continues to add charges to it. The number next to the skill will stay at "3" but you'll understand when you'll use thoses that there are more than 3 uses in stock.
For exemple you're doing a Rift without using your Avalanche all along, when reaching the end boss you'll be able to unload 10-15 Avalanches on him in a row without the number going down from 3.
Reply Quote
thanks a lot Nubtro... this will help a lot for build itens/skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
View profile
Nub's I have a question.

Would it be a good idea to socket a Flawless Royal Ruby instead of a Flawless Royal Emerald?

Here is what I got so far but I know there is much more...

I'm making my starting point with an Imperial gem.

Start with Emerald:

IE=115% FRE=130% Total Increase = 15% more CD and the percentage increase is, 11%

now with Ruby:

IR=+190 FRR=+270 Total Increase= +80 more WD and the percentage increase is, 29%

Now,

I know this type of comparison does not really say much about in game damage points. What I wanted to compare is where do you get the most out of your Gold. I know this is not the best way to go about figuring out which provides the best DMG results but maybe it can help understand the balance of things.

Anyways Nub's, if you can help figure this one out I'd really appreciate it. Thanks bud.
Reply Quote
@ KingBenjamin: it´s more about math and deriving what you want than mechanics, because you can find all formulas you need in the spreadsheet.

critical hit damage mod
formula: (1 - crit chance/100) + (crit chance/100 * (1 + crit damage/100))

simple Ruby increase calculation
> no +damage on jewelry
> no +x% damage (enhanced) affix on weapon
> no adds x% to elemental damage on gear
formula: (minimum damage + maximum damage) / 2 + ruby

your Sankis:
1385-1869 = 1627 average +270 average ruby = 1897 average

Emerald:
> 1627 average weapon damage
> 36% crit chance
> +402% crit damage
1627*2.4472 = 3981.5944

Ruby:
> 1897 average weapon damage
> 36% crit chance
> +272% crit damage
1897*1.9792 = 3754.5424

3981.5944 > 3754.5424 (6% more)

Remember that emerald boosts all damage while socketed ruby only applies to that particular weapon. Emerald should almost always end up the winner while dual-wielding. I can only think of heavy reliance on main hand only skills (Rend, Quake, Avalanche) while DW where Ruby could have a shot at competing.
Reply Quote
View profile
Thanks for taking the time to explain Nub's. This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I feel safe spending gold on crafting dat Flawless Royal Emerald.
Reply Quote
He's back...and with quite the geared barb too!
Reply Quote
Got a couple of questions about Earthquake.
Earthquake doesnt procc BR-Bloodshed right?
Does EQ damage update dynamically with Frenzy-Maniac, as in you start an EQ with 0 Maniac stacks and as you gain stacks the EQ ticks increases?
Reply Quote
Some new information:

Invigorate is a standard life% bonus that stacks with your gear and paragon bonuses.

Bul-Kathos´s Wedding Band - "You drain life from enemies around you."
1. Healing effect:
  • You regenerate 1% of your max life every 60 frames if at least 1 monster is within the aura.
  • Doesn´t scale with number of monsters.
  • 2. Damage effect:
  • The aura also deals 0.575% of current monster health as damage every second.
  • Specifically, it deals 0.115% of current monster health as damage each 12 frames (5 per sec).
  • Every 60 frames the game determines the new damage value based on current monster health and keeps that damage value for the next 5 ticks.
  • 04/04/2014 02:25 PMPosted by silverfire
    He's back...and with quite the geared barb too!
    Hello mr. silverfire. For now, I won´t be as active as before. I play mostly solo when I have time. My gear is not bad but I was unlucky with the Health Globe bonus secondary stat rolls so far and my Bloodthirst is weak so I can´t play >=T4 to my liking, but I do run T3 rifts and bounties without the need of WotB in 10-15 minutes (I have Ice Climbers and a lot of CC reduction). Note that I continue clearing elites in rifts after the Guardian is down.

04/05/2014 06:30 AMPosted by Esm
    Got a couple of questions about Earthquake.
    Earthquake doesnt procc BR-Bloodshed right?
    Does EQ damage update dynamically with Frenzy-Maniac, as in you start an EQ with 0 Maniac stacks and as you gain stacks the EQ ticks increases?

I´ve just tested both Avalanche and Earthquake and they are determined upon casting and stick with it. In other words, if you want the full benefit of Maniac, get max stacks before casting Quake.

I think the only skill that updates damage bonuses in real time is Call of the Ancients. Rend, WW and RLTW "snapshot" upon casting, even Slaughter snapshots upon transformation.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]