Diablo® III

Would you like to open a Rift? Yes or No?

Usually when I've accidentally clicked on a Rift Obelisk it was because I was in town and trying to click on something someone linked in chat. Unfortunately, simply clicking on a link isn't enough to open it and see the item most times since 2.0 came out. Instead you have to click multiple times and run halfway across the screen before the desired link will open. This is how I usually end up opening Rifts I don't want.

“There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn't matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

I'm also trying to click items when this happens.
It seems like you have to click a item in chat 2 or 3 times to get it to open.
Its super annoying.
Reply Quote
I really cannot fathom how people "accidentally" click the Obelisk. It's plain as day right there on the screen. How can you not not click it when you don't want to?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I've done it twice and while both times I just did the rift anyway, it would be nice to be prompted.

04/01/2014 11:31 AMPosted by Suno
I really cannot fathom how people "accidentally" click the Obelisk. It's plain as day right there on the screen. How can you not not click it when you don't want to?

It happens. Could be by accident, could be drunk and/or high, distracted, etc. Bottom line, it happens and it wouldn't take very much effort to fix the problem. One time I meant to click on the vendor and I opened a rift instead.
Reply Quote
04/01/2014 05:13 AMPosted by Phushion
How about you have it single click, but you channel it? If you misclick, you have 2-3 seconds to walk away or rift opens.

That's all we need is something else that artificially eats time in this game...
Reply Quote
04/01/2014 11:19 AMPosted by Mtdewme
I'm also trying to click items when this happens.
It seems like you have to click a item in chat 2 or 3 times to get it to open.
Its super annoying.

I've been thinking about this.

Since RoS, it takes forever to enter a new game, join someone else's game, and teleport or banner to another player. I've had the entire game lock up for 20 seconds, sometimes killing my connection in the process, when clicking on a Friend's achievement...

Maybe you don't have to click on an item link in chat two or three times to get an item to open.

Maybe we just expect it to open instantly because it used to.

Maybe this feature is just as laggy and lethargic as everything else in the game is now.

Maybe it would open fine if we just click it once and wait...
Reply Quote
03/31/2014 03:31 PMPosted by Grimiku
We've accidentally opened up a few Nephalem Rift's here at the office, but we also like how it feels to open up a rift with a single click. Currently our intention is to nudge the Nephalem Obelisk so that it's a little more out of the way, but keep the rest of the process the same. This should help reduce the number of unintended rifts created, but allow people to easily enjoy them without interrupting the pace.

Thank you. Exactly the solution I had in mind.
Reply Quote
03/31/2014 04:59 PMPosted by Doxylamine
If you kids would stop worrying about your APM and start making more deliberate and consise actions, it wouldn't be a problem.

Its d3 for christ sake, you don't need 350 apm

Action game can use far more APM than RTS(pre 2.0 WW Barb and SNS Wizard spam like crazy), I think only fighting game beats it in term of APM.
Reply Quote
If this was to be implemented, make sure that they do so with a "moron" setting in the game menu that the rest of us can toggle off instead of having to deal with even more casual catered nonsense.
Reply Quote
You don't want to interupt the pace by accepting players may open rifts by accident, but you still have cutscene during boss fight ?! They are way more pace breaking than this issue.

I don't get it.

Moving the obelisk farther won't resolve the fact that it may be opened by error.

At least, you have to build and click the infernal machine to spawn a portal. Adding a confirmation will add 1 sec and it will prevent any irritating misclicked.
Reply Quote
Yeah, and option to open a rift yes/no needs to be added. Moving the obelisk isn't really a solution, we click all over the screen for sundry things, moving, casting, whatever.
Reply Quote
I want to register my vote for no confirm box. Adventure mode is D3 wild, wild west mode. Actually I'd like to see them put in some more stuff where you could be messed up. How about portals inside the rift that send you to random rift levels where the boss isn't? Bounties that flee to a different location. Something along those lines. Not being sarcastic here.
Reply Quote
Yes and while we are at it, why don't we add a box for everything we break down, for every portal/banner we take, and for every piece of loot we pick up just so that we don't inconvenience the few who can't figure out how to work their mouse or in such a hurry they aren't paying attention.

I mean really how annoying is it when you pick up a white item that you don't want and have to stop to take it out of your inventory and it is super annoying when we are breaking items down and we are in such a hurry to get through it all that we break down something that we could have actually used.

WHY CAN"T THIS GAME BE FOOL PROOF! PLEASE BLIZZARD FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING PROTECT US FROM OURSELVES.....

For reals people just slow down and pay attention, it isn't that difficult.
Reply Quote
03/31/2014 04:44 PMPosted by Galx
Usually when I've accidentally clicked on a Rift Obelisk it was because I was in town and trying to click on something someone linked in chat. Unfortunately, simply clicking on a link isn't enough to open it and see the item most times since 2.0 came out. Instead you have to click multiple times and run halfway across the screen before the desired link will open. This is how I usually end up opening Rifts I don't want.

I am 100% in favor of adding a dialogue to these to prevent accidental opening. Or at least set it so they can't be opened unless the player has the keystone fragments in their inventory. That way, I could keep them in my stash to prevent accidental loss of fragments.

[/quote]

If they are going to fix the opening of a rift, they need to fix the clicking in the chat box for item links
Reply Quote
03/31/2014 03:31 PMPosted by Grimiku
We've accidentally opened up a few Nephalem Rift's here at the office,

Playing diablo 3 at work. GG.
Reply Quote
Simply moving the obelisk will not be enough to prevent all the misclicks

IMPLEMENT A CONFIRMATION.
Reply Quote
No reason whatsoever for something with a meaningful price to be a single click. A simple "opening the rift will cost you X of Y, OK?" dialog is enough. Allow hot-keying the "Yes" too if you want to make it faster to open.

Moving it away will not be 100% fool proof and will just make it take even longer to open than a dialog would have, as we'd have to run much further away, and so will the rest of the party members (unless they save it by teleporting to you after you do the running...).
Edited by GalZohar#2718 on 4/1/2014 3:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
yes, I have mis-clicked it as well, a confirm would be nice.
Reply Quote
03/31/2014 03:36 PMPosted by cbwjm
Considering the amount of key fragments you end up with I don't feel like losing 5 is that big a deal. It happened to me and my thought process went like this "Oops, I opened a rift. Should I run it so it isn't a waste? Nah, I got more."

I envy you. My OCD makes me run them...
Reply Quote
maybe for players who don't want a confirm request put something in the game play options that one can click to have confirm requests or not.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
03/31/2014 06:28 PMPosted by Psyklone
Can you 'nudge' the blacksmiths keepsakes box from its new location. Or remove it entirely. Its a story related lore book that can only be found once. Put it in story mode only.

I presume you're talking about the Blacksmith's Belongings in Act I which is now sometimes gets in the way while running around town. You'll be glad to know that we're planning to remove the collision detection from that box, so it shouldn't be in the way anymore.

Also, an update to opening rifts. One of the things we're thinking about is adding a channeling element when opening a Nephalem Rift in addition to nudging the obelisk a little more out of the way. This way we avoid adding a check box, but still allow players to cancel out of it if they accidentally click the obelisk. What do you think?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]