Diablo® III

What did she call me?

At some point in Act 5, I'm pretty sure it was the Mystic who called me (a Wiz) a "solcharis." My vocabulary isn't too bad, but I did a double take at that.

And the reason my vocabulary is decent is when I don't recognize a word, I write it down and look it up later. I did a search for "solcharis," and the 2-3 search engines I used all insist I've made a mistake. Nothing recognizes that word.

It seems entirely made up, but that seems odd for just "idle chatter" from an NPC. Any feedback?
Reply Quote
Unless it's just flavor text to go with her horrible stereotypical "gypsy" character.

EEeen m-eye kountry, vee call awl da cute magik boys "solcharis!"
Reply Quote
The word must have some sort of innate funny grammar mistake. Or blizz just made that up.
Reply Quote
Funny, I keep getting called "Celdo" (Pronounced: "Chel-doh"). I mainly a Monk, but I'll be checking to see if my Witch Doctor is called something else.
Reply Quote
She keeps calling my lady-wizard 'Chelsa'. I imagine it's some term meaning something in some made-up language to which we have no translation for?
Reply Quote
04/01/2014 10:13 PMPosted by Sylph
She keeps calling my lady-wizard 'Chelsa'. I imagine it's some term meaning something in some made-up language to which we have no translation for?

Hehe, why not? I'm sure Sanctuary has slang in a myriad of forms. And it's not like she is going to refer to us by name (which would be terrifying). Also, I rather enjoy someone who doesn't refer to me as "Nephalem" every second sentence.

Being called "Monk" doesn't happen nearly as often, but having a semi-personalized name to call us sorta drives home that the Mystic knows us rather intimately, if not awkwardly, well.
Reply Quote
She calls me "Celdo" too. I too that in context to sound more like a casual endearing term, like an old waitress at Denny's that calls you "sweetie."

The "solcharis" line made it sound like I was bitter, angry, frustrated ... something more like that. I don't remember it exactly, I've only played through the campaign one time. But it did throw me off.
Reply Quote
For me, it was in the context of "never believing that [I] can be happy" (paraphrase). So, I think it's some kind of astrological sign in Sanctuary, like some IRL astrologers who say, "I can tell you're a pisces; you're so compassionate!"
Reply Quote
I would really hope that Blizz wouldn't make up an in-universe word/term and not elaborate on it when masochist works just fine.
I'm convinced it's just a non-English (but actual, spoken) word.
Reply Quote
Ya I'm interested to see if these terms ever get elaborated on in future projects
Reply Quote
haha, I did the exact same thing as the OP, and I ended up here per google. Cool to see I wans't the only one.
Reply Quote
Me too, this is the only reference on the web. (according to Google at least)

My demon hunter just got called that by Myriam, saying I "would never be happy or content." So a wanderer maybe? A grumpy person? Someone that doesn't believe in prophecies? Not really sure what she meant by it either.
Reply Quote
Okay, so going out on a limb I am going to offer that this word is being used to denote someone who is a form of a solitary individual. There is probably more to it than that but so far that is my take on it.

PS: I don't use Google, I use ixquick. I use ixquick for two reasons, it helps to stick to a giant corporation, and I value privacy.
Reply Quote
Here is my guess:

Sol - from Latin "solus" which means "alone."
Charis - from Greek "charis" which means "grace," or "to be favored or blessed" (root of "charisma")

So, the demon hunter is one who has received divine gifts but remains in solitude. Or something like that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]