Diablo® III

Phat is back with a Beginner Barb Guide

View profile
Phatphoeater’s guide for freshly minted 70 barbs who want to semi-speed farm.

EDIT 5/5: Added to "Where to go from the bottom"
EDIT 4/12: Added to Farm/Build Philosophy section. Edited "Where to go from the bottom" section.
EDIT: 4/3 Added commentary on how to use rend in the skills section.

Do you long for the days of old when barbs were kings of farm? Do you want to recapture the speed of double nado? Do you dream of instigibbing baddies? Sorry, this guide won’t get you these things. It will, however, get you on the road to your goal. This will get you started farming normal act 1 and 2 bounties. Loots from these caches will make your farm incredibly fast.

This build isn’t going to wow your socks off. It isn’t going to outperform other builds by very much, if at all. There is nothing innovative about this build. It’s simply a patchwork of skills to make sure you have a reliable fury engine but maximizing mobility.

This guide is not for:
-people that have gear farmed from other chars or had a Thunderfury drop right when they pinged 70.
-people that find it acceptable to use any sort of auto attacking (AA) fury generator
-people who only concern themselves with “OMG I critz for 80beez!!!1!!!1”

Farm/build philosophy
------------
Edit 4/12: After slogging my way through entry level gear to somewhere between mid and upper tier gear, I have realized that there are 2 types of farmers. One prays to RNGesus. This person will play however and wherever they want without regards to efficiency. The other may pray to RNGesus but also recognizes that you overcome RNG by seeing more drops. The only way to accomplish this is to farm as fast as you can. You can do this by forcing mobility and AoE into your build as I describe below.
-------------
I have always looked for builds that allowed for both high mobility and kill potential. I’m not creative enough to think of these builds on my own. I enjoy tweaking them and fixing any “clunky” game play issues. Here are the basic principles:

-Generate fury without having to AA.

-An efficient build requires a reliable fury engine for maximum uptime of your DPS skills.

-Maximizing DPS at the expense of sacrificing your fury engine or mobility will drop your overall efficiency.

-For the purpose of this guide, I assume you have basically all rares with no legendary/set pieces.

-I also like min-maxing eHP. If you ignore eHP you end up having to kite and your eDPS drops to zero.

Skills
Passives-Unforgiving, Bloodthirst, Animosity, Superstition
You need all the fury passives since your gear sucks. Superstition does double duty by adding eHP. Bloodthirst is a great single slot regen skill. It lets you ignore having to worry about wasting affixes on Regen or LOH. Just a couple pieces with +globe bonus goes a long way. HOTA and Sprint are great fury dumps to regen HP. Bloodthirst is not a cure-all, you will burn a lot of pots with low level gear.

If you are able to get Vit/life%/AR on your shoulders/chest/pants/helm/boots you might be able to replace Superstition with an offensive passive of your choice. I like the 25% strength kill streak boost but the +fury on Avalanche is useful if you decide to pack Avalanche.

LMB-HOTA or Rend
I prefer HOTA because single targets are the biggest challenge with no gear. Elites in normal still have high HP pools compared to low-level gear DPS. Basically HOTA vs elites/rares and any big HP stragglers. I find I rend more than I should because I can never tell if it crits or not. Rend isn’t great vs single targets and you already have an AOE DPS skill in WW.

Edit: After more playing in my regular barb gear, rend/avalanche is a decent combo. WW into a pack, avalanche, then rend. This gets your avalanche off cd faster. As your gear improves you can start spamming sprint in the rotation to get avalanche back even faster.

Rune choices depend on your eHP. If you need to lock down elites/rares because you have low eHP, the stun rune works well. I usually go with smash to maximize DPS.

RMB-WW:Wind Shear
At low gear levels, this does decent DPS vs white normal mobs. You won’t be able to instagib with one pass but when I farm, I rarely care about killing every last monster. I usually skip over packs with just a few monsters and only stop when the mobs are large.

At lower gear levels you can use this vs single targets as your fury generators come off cooldown. Using Animosity, you can usually get a few turns out of WW with an empty globe. As your gear improves you rely on this purely for positioning (until you get TF or SoH).

Sprint-RLTW or Marathon
Key skill for mobility, not so much for DPS. It is also a good fury sink to regen HP with Bloodthirst passive. I usually spam this as I HOTA champ packs to maintain HP. Using this and pots, you only need to get a couple pieces with +globe bonus and you can forget about LOH/HP regen. Don’t spam this when you have low fury and fighting a single target. You don’t get much DPS and waste fury better spent on HOTA.

Furious Charge (FC)-Stamina
I used to favor OP:Mo but the fury gen is only 5 per target hit. This gets you a full globe by just hitting a few monsters. You can also use this skill to GTFO to dodge frozen balls.

Warcry (WC)-Charge
eHP and nearly instant full fury if you use Animosity and Templar skill. As you gear up, this skill remains useful if you are able to loot Chilanik’s belt. It becomes a mobility skill as well.

Wrath or Avalanche or Battle Rage
I prefer Avalanche for the freeze effect or the reduced CD rune. Spamming HOTA will usually get this off CD fast enough to use it twice in a champ fight. IMO wrath doesn’t have enough uptime with low level gear. I use it for T1 rift farming since I use my shrine gloves and have about 30% CDR. With empowered shrine, you have about 20sec downtime for wrath. For normal bounty farm, I skip both and get Battle Rage since I can kill most white mobs with a single pass of WW and RLTW.

Gameplay
Key to success with this build is knowing which fury generator to use. If there is a large mob with a champ pack you can usually WW to get full fury then stop and HOTA spam. When you empty fury, use WC, then HOTA. After dumping fury, use FC, continue HOTA. At this point your generators will still be on CD so you can WW until FC comes up then repeat the cycle.

If there is just a single target without mobs, then start the cycle with WC.

Mob density is sufficient to skip small packs and only stop to WW down bigger packs. I always skip annoying things that kite. If you do have to kill these mother-kiters, never use WW to chase. If FC is up, use that to close the gap and get fury. If not then one click of sprint.

Using Sprint to dump fury for HP regen only really works if you are using WW. If used with HOTA you will OOM very quickly. If you are getting hit by lasers, ground effects, etc, WW is a good compromise since it lets you constantly regain fury in packs greater than a few monsters and lets you dump fury with Sprint.

Gear
After coming back from many months of not playing, Loot 2.0 required me to learn how to gear again. I think there are guides that show most efficient stat placement, but when you’re starting out you won’t have that luxury.

Always focus on your eHP when starting out. At low gear levels +skill/ele dam% mods won’t make much difference. You see paper tigers post on the forums all the time. IMO look for gear with the stats like on my female barb.

I’ve found that putting AR on your gear lets you gem sockets for Str. While this becomes trickier at higher gear levels, you don’t need that much eHP to farm normal.

Good secondary stats are +single res, pickup radius, +globe bonus. The globe bonus needs to be on a couple pieces.

A quick way to scan drops (does not include gloves/jewelry/bracers) for salvaging is always look for Str/Vit/AR and sockets or life% depending on the slot. If the item doesn’t have 4 primary stats it’s not worth re-rolling. Here is a quick rundown.

Helm: Str/Vit or life% or AR/CC/Socket. The eHP stat will depend on what you have on other gear.

Shoulders: Str/Vit/life%/AR. Don’t bother getting damage mods here. You should focus these on your jewelry, gloves and bracers.

Chest: Str/Vit or life%/AR/Sockets.

Pants: Str/Vit/AR/Sockets

Belt: Str/Vit/life%/AR

Boots: Str/Vit/AR/MS

For your DPS slots prioritize CC over all others. Getting more CC lets you have more build freedom since CC synergizes better than IAS or CD.

Gloves: Str Trifectas but you may not have luck finding these early. Focus on Str/CC/CD and an eHP mod.

Bracers: Str/CC/Vit or AR. %Damage mods roll on these all the time. Get one now or just put more eHP here.

Jewelry: same as gloves. I haven’t seen how +min+max damage works now. It used be equivalent to a decent amount of crit damage in Loot 1.0. I used to shop these 2 mods interchangeably when building budget sets.

Weapons
Choosing weapons used to be tricky since you had to hit certain breakpoints to make double nado builds work. Since Blizz removed the fury engine finding weapons is a lot easier. Basically biggest DPS big number but pay attention to your MH damage range as skills like Avalanche are determined by MH damage range and unaffected by weapon speed. Look for biggest min and max damage for your MH.

When you are starting out, just get biggest DPS you can find with Str. Look for %dam/IAS/socket. If you can get 2 of these 3 then you are good to go. Don’t bother rerolling weapons with less than 4 primary stats. IAS is the least useful dps mod on a weapon since it only applies to that weapon and not the other. Some people prefer to have vit over the %dam since you can roll +skill/ele damage on your armor slots. Since this is entry level gear, don’t sweat this too much.

What to Farm
I focused on normal act 1-2 bounties to loot the Mad Scepter for the great AOE proc, shrine gloves for longer empower/fleeting shrines. You become a speed farming beast with these 2 items.

I also like Chilanik’s Belt since it makes farming even faster since WC gives you a 10sec Movespeed bonus.

Paragon points
I haven’t thought about this too much, but I prioritize MS to get to 25%, CDR, Resource cost reduction, AR. At early levels it won’t make much difference.

Where to go from the bottom

Edit: 5/5: I failed to realize the strength of some of the new craftable sets. I farmed right past them into mid tier legendaries. I think there are several options that help making the jump to T1 very easy. If you google "D3 legendary mat farm" look for a link to a diablofans post. Look up the appropriate farm sites after deciding which you'll pursue. Next farm norm 1 "Battlefields" on Act5 and just loot the armor piles located all around the map. It may take a couple runs to find the pieces you are looking for, but it's very easy.

IMO Reaper Wraps should be your first craftable as this helps your fury engine considerably.

The next recommendations require you to have farmed a Ring of Royal Grandeur (reduced set req legendary ring from act1 norm bounties). Some people have terrible luck looting this ring. I would break up your act 1norm bounty farm with occasional craftable farming since it may take several rolls to get usable craftable pieces.

If you have no other gear from your act1 norm bounty farms, I would go augilds helm and shoulders for the Aug3 bonus. This leaves you the option to go with Blackthorne3 with either boots/pants/chest. This combo gives you 25% +elite damage and 25% elite damage reduction. IMO Captain's set with the reduced CDR is probably less helpful than these 2 sets. Aesheras is another option but that provides only improved mitigation. If you have trouble looting blackthornes, Aug3/Aesh3 is a reasonable alternative.
--------
Edit 4/12: With the shrine glove bug fix, they are less of a priority. However, they are better than nothing and would still recommend grinding these from act2 norm bounties. After grinding act1 bounties for a mad monarch and the ring/ammy combo, I would take these gloves and just T1 rift over and over so you can make use of the 10min buff. If you can't farm T1 rifts in 5-10mins (depending on maps/density) then grind somewhere you can fly through mobs in 1 pass.

At the time I drafted this guide, I had viritually no set pieces and no TF/OS. It doesn't take very much to speed farm T1 rifts.
---------
It took me just a few days of grinding to get my current gear. My luck hasn't been great but enough to get me farming faster. I'm still using this same build and farm T1 rifts solo in about 7 mins. I have no idea how fast that is but the pace is almost like the good old double nado days. Fury becomes less of an issue with CDR shrines and I have my old -HOTA SOJ. The Shrine gloves make speedy farming so much easier.

Good luck and farm that GG Loot!
Edited by PhatPhoEater#1370 on 5/5/2014 11:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Thanks for putting this together.
Reply Quote
Great guide! :D Nice job.
Reply Quote
Never forget

07/01/2013 09:28 AMPosted by PhatPhoEater
do you know who i am? I'm kind of a big deal.
Reply Quote
View profile
04/03/2014 11:15 AMPosted by xxxkan
Never forget

07/01/2013 09:28 AMPosted by PhatPhoEater
do you know who i am? I'm kind of a big deal.

LOL how did you find a quote from 9 months ago?
Reply Quote
04/03/2014 12:20 PMPosted by PhatPhoEater
Never forget

Used it a few times in the past and also just search "I'm kind of a big deal". No one else has said it before lol.
Reply Quote
View profile
It's a famous forum quote.

Welcome back Phat. Let's see them builds man :)
Reply Quote
View profile
04/03/2014 12:20 PMPosted by PhatPhoEater
Never forget

Kans got that pasted in his notepad.
Reply Quote
Man..this Phat guy again...

much brains, many ego.
Reply Quote
With Phatpho in the house, it would appear the barbs are on the path to coming full circle....next thing you know Nived will be trolling again (he's out of jail by now... right?)

--SIDENOTE-- Add me Phat....it's been a long time.

BLOODYZBUB#1683
Edited by Bloodyzbub#1683 on 4/11/2014 12:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Free bump
Reply Quote
a simple way to gain Fury. 1h and a shield + standing in things like poisons.

Every build has it's game play style. who says i have to be faster then you?(for those who say fast runs for more gear drops is how i should be building my characters)
everyone has Goals when playing a game. to each his own.
I have found the most effective build for my play style and that is to do the impossible.
my goal is to spam Boulder toss at 200 fury including trying to reducing the 25 fury cost of as much as i can without losing the most used stats to do dmg.Crit chance and crit dmg.
I know what Boots, pants, bracers, 1h, neck, and a 3 set IK gloves, helm, chest to reach this goal.
Edited by Zutang#1412 on 4/12/2014 3:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
04/12/2014 02:57 AMPosted by Zutang
a simple way to gain Fury. 1h and a shield + standing in things like poisons.

Every build has it's game play style. who says i have to be faster then you?(for those who say fast runs for more gear drops is how i should be building my characters)
everyone has Goals when playing a game. to each his own.
I have found the most effective build for my play style and that is to do the impossible.
my goal is to spam Boulder toss at 200 fury including trying to reducing the 25 fury cost of as much as i can without losing the most used stats to do dmg.Crit chance and crit dmg.
I know what Boots, pants, bracers, 1h, neck, and a 3 set IK gloves, helm, chest to reach this goal.

Um, no $hit. This guide was intended for people with zero gear who just pinged 70. IMO the fastest way to obtain gear is faster farming. You don't achieve this with slow moving, low AoE builds. My RNG isn't great, but I'm where I am now because I farmed with the above build, got pieces I needed, then got to speed farming T1. If my RNG were better, it wouldn't matter what approach I took.
Reply Quote
View profile
Newbie king.. I name u.
Reply Quote
Hey Phat, this guide is really useful! Barb is may last pre-2.0 char to 70 so this is exactly the guide I've been looking for. I could run T1 (with different eHP/DPS gloves), but I think I'll stick to expert for double shards. Of course any advice I'd appreciate but I'm pretty much copying as much as I can for gear/skills/gameplay.

Thanks!
DETH
Reply Quote
View profile
04/14/2014 05:45 PMPosted by DethAxe
Hey Phat, this guide is really useful! Barb is may last pre-2.0 char to 70 so this is exactly the guide I've been looking for. I could run T1 (with different eHP/DPS gloves), but I think I'll stick to expert for double shards. Of course any advice I'd appreciate but I'm pretty much copying as much as I can for gear/skills/gameplay.

Thanks!
DETH

Try using frenzy instead of hota. It's a lot less of a headache since you cant hota very much without having to rotate skills. I'm not sure how well it works without any +ele gear but I'm guessing it might be better quality of life.

I would also strongly consider swapping hota for rend/bloodlust. At lower difficulty, you dont need much extra dps to melt mobs.

Consider farming for mad monarch on normal act 1bounties. This build really takes off when you can get your hands on any sort of proc weapon. You might consider using the int fulminator on your monk as it might add enough dps to outperform your OH rare.
Edited by PhatPhoEater#1370 on 4/14/2014 5:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for the tip, moved/adjusted weps. I forgot WW/windshear is lightning so it will work OK with the fulmonator :-) Only issue is rend can't fit to this setup, so I'll just proceed as is. If this works out, should I re-roll for % lightning on anything else??
Reply Quote
04/12/2014 07:11 AMPosted by PhatPhoEater
Um, no $hit. This guide was intended for people with zero gear who just pinged 70. IMO the fastest way to obtain gear is faster farming. You don't achieve this with slow moving, low AoE builds. My RNG isn't great, but I'm where I am now because I farmed with the above build, got pieces I needed, then got to speed farming T1. If my RNG were better, it wouldn't matter what approach I took.

well you can't farm if you're dead. so having a shield will help new player live and over all be faster.
when i started i was playing with HoTA with no gear and i was DW 2 yellows 1h. i could only do master. when i swaped to boulder toss and a shield i went from 2-4m crits to 10-14m crits. i could then play on T1 and i wouldnt DIE. plus i notice the Fury gain when i got stuck in elites crap on the floor.

IMO when you get geared do the WW builds with lighting or some Fire build that people are doing THEN you can farm faster for things like the shard of hate, thunderfury, or maximus.
Reply Quote
View profile
04/14/2014 07:44 PMPosted by Zutang
well you can't farm if you're dead. so having a shield will help new player live and over all be faster.
when i started i was playing with HoTA with no gear and i was DW 2 yellows 1h. i could only do master. when i swaped to boulder toss and a shield i went from 2-4m crits to 10-14m crits. i could then play on T1 and i wouldnt DIE

Your focus on crit size is exactly why I wrote the following

04/01/2014 10:13 PMPosted by PhatPhoEater
-Maximizing DPS at the expense of sacrificing your fury engine or mobility will drop your overall efficiency.

and

This guide is not for:
-people who only concern themselves with “OMG I critz for 80beez!!!1!!!1”

Good on you for playing T1 with low level gear. I play the game differently. I want to play at a difficulty that maximizes my clear speeds. I have no desire to play at T1 when my gear dictated I play at Expert. I grind gear and then I dial up the difficulty. I also like a playstyle that is fast paced. That means constantly moving and instagibbing mobs.

There are tons of posts here about slow moving, big crit builds. I could care less about instigibbing elites if I have to move at base Move Speed to find the next one. You do you bro.
Reply Quote
i know what you're saying
this what i'm trying to say

low level gear DW 1hs or a 2h
HOTA ,WW
low dmg slowest speed. WW can kinda keep you alive with bloodthurst
(you will die from elites on T1)

Low level gear 1h and a shield
War cry with charge, boulder toss
High dmg fast speed, shield will keep you alive to allow you to be faster
(you will NOT die that often from elites on T1)

High level gear DW 1hs or a 2h
HOTA ,WW
good dmg Fastest speed to play. WW can keep you alive with bloodthurst
Edited by Zutang#1412 on 4/15/2014 11:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]