Diablo® III

How to connect to US/ANZ servers - UPDATE

(Sticky)

Community Manager
Hi all,
We have had feedback that some players wish to manually connect to either the US or ANZ Diablo game servers.

Before we go into the process on how to connect to a specific gamer server, there would only be a few reasons you would wish to do this.

• If you are in the rare minority based in ANZ whose IP does not automatically connect to the new Australian game servers.
  • If you are located outside of Australia and New Zealand and connect to US hardware but wish to try out the Australian servers to see if your latency is improved.
  • If you are currently playing on ANZ servers but wish to join the larger North American public player pool and you don’t mind the associated higher latency.

• First up, make sure your Battle.net game launcher is running and you are logged into the application with your server set to The Americas. This will ensure your client will always be up to date.

********** UPDATE **********

Prior to this post it required a customized shortcut to be made. Now with the updated client you can add the correct strings into the Battle.net app itself, removing the requirement to create a short cut. Think it's technical? Well it's really quite simple! Narull has uploaded some screen grabs that make the process easy.

Here is his post:

1. Close Diablo III and open the launcher, click the little arrow up the top left and select 'Settings':

http://i.imgur.com/myLrCe5.jpg

2. In the new window select 'Game Settings':

http://i.imgur.com/kQZzvZE.jpg

3. Tick the box for 'Additional command line arguments' and in the new command line put the following:

If you want to always connect to the ANZ Server: OnlineService.Matchmaking.ServerPool=AU1

If you want to always connect to the US Server: OnlineService.Matchmaking.ServerPool=Default

So it should look like this: http://i.imgur.com/2gK1ud3.jpg

Click 'Done' and run Diablo III, BAM done! It's that simple.

********** Below is the old method that is not required **********

To manually tell the game which server you wish to play on you will need to create a customized shortcut.

Go to your folder that has Diablo III: Reaper of Souls installed.
    The default for this on a Windows PC is C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III

Right click on Diablo III.exe and click ‘create a shortcut’.
    Right click on the newly made shortcut and choose ‘properties’.

Go to the Target field, it should say something similar to this:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Diablo III.exe"

You will need to add one of the commands below after
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Diablo III.exe" in the Target field.

To manually connect to the Australia servers add the line
    -launch OnlineService.Matchmaking.ServerPool=AU1
    To manually connect to the US servers add the line
    -launch OnlineService.Matchmaking.ServerPool=Default

So for example,
    if I wanted to make sure I connected to the US hardware, even if I’m in Australia, my shortcut target field would end in:

...\Diablo III\Diablo III.exe" -launch OnlineService.Matchmaking.ServerPool=Default

*Note there is a space between Diablo III.exe" and -launch

Click ok.

The shortcut you have made will now be the method you use to launch the game if you wish to manually connect to a specific game server. Keep in mind once you launch the game through this shortcut you will need to log in with your username and password.

If you run the game through the Battle.net game launcher the changes will not be in effect, you will need to use the shortcut to ensure you connect to a different game server.

Keep in mind creating this shortcut is not something we would recommend to everyone but it may be helpful for some.

See you in Sanctuary! <em/>
    Edited by Arcagnion on 6/22/2014 4:54 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Arc, has anyone tested it on your end and any repercussions if you do it? Like characters/stash data not syncing once you switch to say from Default (US) to AUS and back to US again?
    Reply Quote
    Community Manager
    There should not be any repercussions as long as you keep your client up to date. The US/ANZ characters live on different hardware than the servers they play on. This is why it is recommended that you have your Battle.net launcher logged in so that any updates will be installed when required.
    Reply Quote
    From the instruction, it seems that this change will only affect the match-making feature and not the single player / private game or game I create and open to public? Is this correct? (I hope so)
    Reply Quote
    OMG I LOVE YOU ARCAGNION !!
    I as a SEA player have better ping connecting to AUS server now <3
    Reply Quote
    Community Manager
    04/01/2014 12:09 AMPosted by max
    From the instruction, it seems that this change will only affect the match-making feature and not the single player / private game or game I create and open to public? Is this correct? (I hope so)

If it's a bigger player pool of public games you want and you don't mind the increased latency then you can use the shortcut and easily switch back to local Australian servers for single player by just restarting the game and pushing play in the Battle.net launcher.

OMG I LOVE YOU ARCAGNION !!I as a SEA player have better ping connecting to AUS server now <3

Glad to have you on the new Australian servers! :)
    Reply Quote
    Excellent. Very happy to have this option.

edit: Went from under 20 players in public HC games (AU servers) to over 100. Thank you so much for this option :>
    Edited by Meld#1337 on 4/1/2014 1:32 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Any tips on how to do this on a mac?
    Reply Quote
    Hi Arcagnion,

Can I try the Taiwan new server using the same way?

maybe something like this:

-launch OnlineService.Matchmaking.ServerPool=TW1

Please help I have been struggling to play since launch the latency is very bad.
    Reply Quote
    04/01/2014 07:05 AMPosted by Chunks

can we get an answer to this please? really appreciate giving us the option though! can't wait to play with a massive playerbase again.
    Reply Quote
    04/01/2014 01:10 AMPosted by Arcagnion
    04/01/2014 12:09 AMPosted by max

If it's a bigger player pool of public games you want and you don't mind the increased latency then you can use the shortcut and easily switch back to local Australian servers for single player by just restarting the game and pushing play in the Battle.net launcher.

I'm confused by this answer. The poster was mentioning that in the instructions it says "OnlineService.Matchmaking.ServerPool". This implies that the command changes the server used for matchmaking, not for private games. Is this correct? For example, I'm having trouble getting connected to the Australian servers (I live in Australia) so I want to use these instructions. But when I created a game I still had terrible ping?

If I add the command to connect to Australian servers and then log into D3 and start a new private game, should I then be playing on Australian servers? Because it doesn't appear to be working - my ping is around 400 - 800.
    Edited by Gnack#6118 on 4/2/2014 5:31 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    MVP - Technical Support
    97 Draenei Mage
    04/01/2014 07:05 AMPosted by Chunks

Sorry guys have been really sick all day. Some form of proto-virus thingy.

Anyways to do this on a Mac :

US Servers

/Applications/Diablo\ III/Diablo\ III.app/Contents/MacOS/Diablo\ III -launch OnlineService.Matchmaking.ServerPool=Default

AU servers

/Applications/Diablo\ III/Diablo\ III.app/Contents/MacOS/Diablo\ III -launch OnlineService.Matchmaking.ServerPool=AU1

*warning*

Since you are launching things manually you'll need to type in your user name , password and authenticator code.

Also you may see a string of error codes go up the screen when launching manually. I had a ton of stuff on Audio stuff. Given my sound was working fine I ignored it.

I also tried TW1 but couldn't get it to log into a game at all.
    Reply Quote
    MVP - Technical Support
    97 Draenei Mage
    If you're on a Mac you should be able to use nettop -m tcp to confirm if it's connecting to the correct servers.

The nettop command presents a list of processes and where they are connected to. Just Arrow down for the Diablo III entry and watch it while you connect.

If you're connecting to the AU servers you should see a connection to a 103.4.114.x IP address.

Windows I guess you could use netstat at the right time.
    Reply Quote
    MVP - Customer Support
    View profile
    04/02/2014 08:25 AMPosted by Bluspacecow
    Windows I guess you could use netstat at the right time.

Something like this would be a little more user-friendly for Windows folks:
    http://netstatagent.com/
    "Shhh. My common sense is tingling." -- Wade Wilson
    Reply Quote
    MVP - Diablo III
    View profile
    04/02/2014 05:29 AMPosted by Gnack
    04/01/2014 01:10 AMPosted by Arcagnion

I'm confused by this answer. The poster was mentioning that in the instructions it says "OnlineService.Matchmaking.ServerPool". This implies that the command changes the server used for matchmaking, not for private games. Is this correct? For example, I'm having trouble getting connected to the Australian servers (I live in Australia) so I want to use these instructions. But when I created a game I still had terrible ping?

If I add the command to connect to Australian servers and then log into D3 and start a new private game, should I then be playing on Australian servers? Because it doesn't appear to be working - my ping is around 400 - 800.

It doesn't just change the matchmaking it changes your private games as well.

Are you sure you are being connected to the ANZ server? if so you will need to hitup this thread http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12186888744#19 and post the info Blizz requested so it can be looked into.
    Reply Quote
    Looks like it is working. Just one thing that is not mention and it did catch me out is currently it looks like you can only play with your American account on the ANZ server, so make sure you change your region to the Americas otherwise you will just get an 317002 error.

Is there any plan to allow European regions to connect to the anz server?
    My main characters are there and I would like to play with then with a low ping?
    Reply Quote
    Thanks for the fix
    Reply Quote
    MVP - Diablo III
    View profile
    04/03/2014 11:13 AMPosted by Johan

Is there any plan to allow European regions to connect to the anz server?
    My main characters are there and I would like to play with then with a low ping?

There is no plan for this, accounts are not transferable and that's not what actually happens here, the login and auth servers we use for the ANZ server are still US based, it's only the ingame server that switches.

Blizz don't plan on having character transfers sorry mate, if you decide to restart on the US/ANZ side feel free to drop me a line or join the ANZ community, plenty of us will be happy to help power level you.
    Reply Quote
    I tried using this, but couldn't get it to show the US games. The available players are still listing as 0. Any ideas?
    Reply Quote
    MVP - Diablo III
    View profile
    04/04/2014 09:54 AMPosted by Blomee
    I tried using this, but couldn't get it to show the US games. The available players are still listing as 0. Any ideas?

It's still possible that there was 0 games on the US. What is your ping while doing it(go ingame) is it connecting you to the US? or is it still low and on the ANZ server?
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]