Diablo® III

Carnevil Theory craft & pet adjustments

Hey everyone,

Just to clarify this is specifically discussing the fetish and carnevil build not pets in general.

Premise - Pets scale off weapon damage and crit/atk speed but NOT crit hit damage as their crit hit is capped at 50%

SO with Carnevil, does their poison darts count as poison daage? If so will it scale with +%poison damage?

That and do the darts themselves Scale off crit hit damage? or like the pet's actual attack it ignores CHD and scales to only physcial and only crit wep dmg and atkspeed? This would fundamentally change up the fetish dart spec as the build would then take reforging and regemming in wep to diff things.

If anyone else has done extensive testing or have solid info on how CANEVIL interacts with the Fetish's Poison Darts please share.

Don't think they count as a hit done by you as it doesn't proc anything.(no op chain freeze by Azurewrath).
Reply Quote
^ also +% poison dart damage, does it apply to the fetish's darts?
Reply Quote
Yea, poison skill damage is what you want.

Attack speed is the best by far.
Followed by poison skills and INT
Followed by crit chance.

CHD does not benefit your pets and only benefits you.

Poison dart damage may be nice for your WD's own damage, but it does not increase fetish damage.

On the other hand, fetish army damage has been reported to increase fetish army dart damage. So get that as well on shoulders, chest, and I think Mojo. (best if you have zuni set to keep the fetish army up until they die)
Edited by MCP#1477 on 4/4/2014 11:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Does + Physical skill damage affect pet damage as well?
Reply Quote
FINALLY! a Carnevil build discussion thread!!

04/03/2014 02:30 PMPosted by MCP
Yea, poison skill damage is what you want.

Attack speed is the best by far.
Followed by poison skills and INT
Followed by crit chance.

CHD does not benefit your pets and only benefits you.

Poison dart damage may be nice for your WD's own damage, but it does not increase fetish damage.

On the other hand, fetish damage has been reported to increase fetish dart damage. So get that as well on shoulders, chest, and I think Mojo.

This is your answer, OP. Attack speed, speeds up how fast you shoot a dart, so that means your fetishes shoot faster darts. TASKER AND THEO'S LEGENDARY AFFIX HAS NO EFFECT ON DART SHOOTING FETISHES unless you stop shooting darts and allow them to melee.

04/03/2014 03:01 PMPosted by Pheno
Does + Physical skill damage affect pet damage as well?

This is a thread specifically for Carnevil build. +physical skill damage will not increase the damage done by fetishes shooting poison darts. it will only increase their damage when you arent shooting darts and allow them to go into melee mode.

What is every other Carnevil-er's skills set-up look like? Does anyone else use bats to also proc fetishes or strictly rely on darts? What skills synergize well with Carnevil and dart fetishes that you have found?

I picked up a Hwoj wrap.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/hwoj-wrap

I find that the slow effect helps control the crowd and helps me snipe the enemies in a precise order. I added creeping death to make an (almost) infinite DoT and slow/cc. thoughts?

Lets keep this thread going for us carnevil-ers!!!! We should get 4 Carnevil docs together and see how many darts we can get flying LOL.

Sal4m4nd3r#2673
Reply Quote
I think the big questions are

Does +Poison Dart % damage, which modifies your primary skill, also increase the damage of the fetish's poison darts?

If using Fetish Army with Carnevil (shooting darts), does +Fetish Army % damage still affect their dart damage?
Reply Quote
Re-read the last sentences of my post yo!
Reply Quote
Oh thanks! Totally missed that!
Reply Quote
think of it like this.. when the fetishes are not shooting darts they act as if they are controlled simply by the passive. when they are shooting darts they act as if they are the fetishes you get with the head hunters rune of FA.. only you control what they shoot at and when they shoot.
Reply Quote
Cool. one big thing that was only semi answered.

Fetishes are physical dmg - so they scale up if you get +PHYSICAL spell damage. But when they atk with carneivil they shoot POISON darts...

SO I'm assuming it would be(if you are just planning to power the machine gun) best to stack fetish army and/OR PHYSICAL as your elemental damage due to the fact that, they scale off PHYSICAL at dmg boost just the damage done is the poison school.
Reply Quote
On and RUBY in wep for the build - im supposing that's optimal for the machine gun Carnevil build since it scales their darts more too then
Reply Quote
no. stack fetish army and poison damage to buff the fetishes darts

04/03/2014 04:48 PMPosted by Hysterikal
Cool. one big thing that was only semi answered.

Fetishes are physical dmg - so they scale up if you get +PHYSICAL spell damage. But when they atk with carneivil they shoot POISON darts...

SO I'm assuming it would be(if you are just planning to power the machine gun) best to stack fetish army and/OR PHYSICAL as your elemental damage due to the fact that, they scale off PHYSICAL at dmg boost just the damage done is the poison school.
Reply Quote
I gambled a Carnevil....looking for MoJ....but I digress. Don't you guys find issues with pathing and how ever little thing blocks those little darts? I mean wallers pretty much mess up the shooting but with VB it goes thru.

Edit: Missing letters
Edited by Gepidae#1113 on 4/3/2014 5:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Guys can post a build with carnevil?
Reply Quote
Yeah I'm not too sure about which buffs work and which do not in regards to fetish psychos.

In the end I settled on 'attack speed' as my primary stat to work on because it is the most important and obvious to make the helm work its magic. More attack speed = more Fetish psychos summoned and each shoots a dart when you shoot a dart.

After attack speed was sorted I just made sure my hero hit like a brick (with high int, crit and crit dmg) while also having good survivability so I could mostly stand still against Elites and spam darts (Spirit Walk OP vs CC).

The best thing about this helm in my opinion is you don't really have to gimp your hero and sacrifice his DPS. You can still run your crit damage and be doing your big hits while having a team of Fetishes buffing your DPS or tanking when required. I also wanted to use this helm because I can't be stuffed with mana concerns while playing and gearing.

This is the build I use for HC. I mostly run T1 super fast with this build. I can go to T2 but see no reason to. When I start I change gruesome feast to cricle of life to get my 3 dogs then I revert it to gruesome feast.
Pretty straight forward build. Weakness is Elites and Champs with Waller. Also be wary of Reflect Damage packs.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#alUdQP!WYeV!abacYb

I'm working toward getting the Zunimassa's set bonus that gets rid of the Fetish Army duration. I'm also working on getting Gloves of Worship because 10 min any shrine is super strong. Stone of Jordan with a high Poison damage role would be nice too but I may need the ring which reduces my set requirements by 1 piece instead.
Edited by WARPAINTER#1292 on 4/3/2014 7:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/03/2014 07:00 PMPosted by WARPAINTER

This is the build I use for HC. I mostly run T1 super fast with this build. I can go to T2 but see no reason to. When I start I change gruesome feast to cricle of life to get my 3 dogs then I revert it to gruesome feast.
Pretty straight forward build. Weakness is Elites and Champs with Waller. Also be wary of Reflect Damage packs.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#alUdQP!WYeV!abacYb

consider dropping fetish army. Until you get the full zuni set atleast. When you cast Getish army, the scycos die. So if you focus on spawn sycos you still use the fetishes and carnevil but get an extra skill slot.
Edited by Sal4m4nd3r#2673 on 4/4/2014 4:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/03/2014 05:32 PMPosted by Nukem
Guys can post a build with carnevil?

check my profile for my build

i use bats and darts to spawn fetishs. soul harvest to regen mana and damage. dogs for tanks and mass confusion and wrecking crew for CC
Reply Quote
how much atk speed do u guys think is optimal for this build? seems interesting
Reply Quote
I will contribute, because I'm missing only one piece (in my opinion). Instead of the whole zuni set, I'm hoping Starmetal kukri drops for me. With starmetal, your little guys will bust the cooldowns for both BBV and Fetish, which means they are always up and positioned right where you need them! This may seem more achievable for a lot of the players out there...Though, I've been lucky with most drops -- I haven't seen a single ceremonial dagger ;/.

The little fetishes from the passive are useful, but the real damage comes from resetting their location by using the fetish skill (runed for +3 dagger guys). They pop up right next to you and allow you to mow down whatever your primary target is.

+poison and +fetish damage is helpful, but I've noticed +fetish damage (like the pet guide on the forums) doesn't help those fetishes you get from the passive.

35-40% attack speed seems optimal to me, but just from the gut -- no hard data. I use firebats to channel out fetishes when the cooldown isn't up (no starmetal yet) and for AOE. It's not optimized by gear, but it still hits like a truck and will lay waste to trash.

I think they are more useful than the typical fetish build, because you can choose your target that they focus on. At the same time, if you need some tankage and/or run...they will go and face tank for you (as long as you use another skill besides darts).

But, I too would like to see a more in-depth analysis of how to optimize Carnevil...How much of the gear should be focused on the pets/you (+poison dart?), and what are the numbers you should be striving for.
Edited by FreakShow#1685 on 4/4/2014 9:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This guy put in some work on carnevil:

Carnevil is really fun: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/carnevil
Guy testing out the Carnevil build and boy does it look hilarious: (initial try at this build)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VKBwyaLRxk
Darts+Plague+Stacking poison damage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il3kqxFZXv4
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]