Diablo® III

Why is the prefix trans- banned? (Continued)

Update!: The prefix is unbanned now. Thank you for your support if you gave it!

Original thread here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12371697365

I was told my Blizzard support to continue the thread since the post count was hit in the other one.

Petition for those who do not wish to participate on the forums can be found here: http://www.change.org/petitions/blizzard-entertainment-uncensor-the-prefix-trans-from-diablo-iii-clan-making

A post on why this is so very needed: http://t.co/D7RrTL2PP6

Media coverage:
http://www.soundonsight.org/petition-uncensor-the-prefix-trans-from-diablo-iii-clan-making/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/07/blizzard-trans-diablo-iii-clan-names/

OP from original post:

I sent in a ticket about this and was told to open something on the forums as the discussion about this. This is the ticket I sent in as I feel it best sums up why trans as a prefix needs to be unbanned as it is unfair to the community.

Hello!

I am contacting you in regards to creating clans in the newest Diablo III patch. I am trying to make a clan for transgender and gender non-conforming individuals who would like to play the game together in a relatively safe space of like identified individuals. However, I have come to find out that the prefix trans is banned in clan creation! I understand this is to prevent people from creating offensive clans, but it is doing just the opposite. You allow the word gay as a prefix for clans, as there is a Gaymers clan, yet do not allow the same for transgender individuals. In fact, this forbids words such as transdimensional and so forth. The word gay has much more room for offensive and harmful clan names than trans does and deletes the possibility of safe spaces for transgender people to get together and enjoy your games. This creates a harmful environment for people like myself who wish you play your game and know that I will be a respected member of my clan, regardless of my gender identity, presentation, how my voice sounds over Vent/Skype, and so on. This sends a message that gay people are allowed to create their own clans and freely interact on your servers, but trans people are not. Please reconsider your ban of the prefix trans- and thus banning all transgender related clans and groups.

Thank you for your time.

Banning the prefix trans while allowing the word gay sends a message. You can be an openly gay gamer, but you cannot be openly trans. They allow for clans to be created around being gay, such as the Gaymers clan, but will not allow a similar TransGamers clan (which is what was trying to be created). This creates an environment that allows for people to be openly gay, but not openly trans, and requires people to create codewords, and in community buzzwords to create a similar clan for a similar experience, gaming with people who share the same identity and will respect you for who you are. Blizzard is sending a very poor message to the trans gaming community by not allowing people to create safe clan experiences for themselves while allowing others to do that with words which can be used in a much more harmful sense (such as gay).

I am in contact, or attempting to contact, several reporters, video game websites, and so on. This petition and the forum post are not the only thing I am working on. I actually have a media piece coming up in the next day or two on this.
Edited by RainbowGuts#1856 on 4/8/2014 2:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
over this? there are more important things to care about...
Reply Quote
04/06/2014 06:08 PMPosted by Mathalamus
over this? there are more important things to care about...

Maybe for you.
Reply Quote
Once again, Blizzard is not preventing you from making a clan that accomplishes your goals. The only thing they are doing is saying you can't make a clan with trans in the name.

It is up to you to provide evidence as to why you can't possibly make a clan which will accomplish your stated purpose without having that clan name start with trans. So far you haven't done that. You simply jumped the gun and equated not being able to make a clan with trans in the name with not being able to make a clan that provides a safe place for people of different gender and sexual preferences even though the two aren't dependent.
Reply Quote
You're right, it shouldn't be banned. It should be unbanned.

All the same, I think it's absurd to make a clan focused entirely around being !@#$%^-*!@. If you want to be seen as a human being, equal to everyone else, the best way to do that is not to separate yourself from others who are different. Accept the fact that there are lots of different kinds of people, and coexist together in your clan that focuses not on what your body is like but how you treat other people and how you play the game.

With each recruit, simply explain to them that you and many members are #$%^-*!@#$, and ask them if they are okay with that. Making a dedicated "%^-*!@#$%^" clan would cause people to start using terms like "those people". You don't want that. Wouldn't you prefer if you didn't even need to specify your gender? Wouldn't you prefer to play with other people who care about enjoying the game with you, and don't care about your gender?

I'm just saying, making a clan focused around something like that causes more problems than it solves. By making "-*!@#$%^-*" the focus of your clan, you are separating people. By doing that, you are telling people "I think !@#$%^-*!@s should be in this clan, separate from everyone else". I'm a straight man, so I guess I'll never know what it's like to be in your shoes, but I would think you'd want some progression towards acceptance and coexistence rather than segregation.

You would be better off making a normal clan like "The Accepting Gamers" or something like that, and simply let people know what sort of things you're okay with and what sort of things you expect them to be okay with. I can completely understand if you want to avoid jerks who insult you because of your trans- situation, and leading a clan would allow you to separate yourself from such people. But why would it have to be trans- only? Wouldn't a person who is male or female but accepting and kind be perfectly okay to have around?

Edit: For clarification, I'm not swearing, I was using the "trans" word.
Edited by TLIoInferno#1551 on 4/6/2014 6:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/06/2014 06:22 PMPosted by TLIoInferno
but I would think you'd want some progression towards acceptance and coexistence rather than segregation.

Its not segregation - its fellowship with like individuals. Like you said, as straight guys, we'll never understand what its like for them. 99% of their lives are trying to co-exist in this world. Why can't they have a community of similar people to game with?

I have a clan for real life friends only. I'm not 'segregating' us from the world. I'm just gaming with my friends.
Edited by Goodbrew#1305 on 4/6/2014 6:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just use a different name FFS. Call yourself the Happy wavey bears or something.
Reply Quote
I signed your petition, Rainbow.

Salaams
Reply Quote
All in all it's just a silly thing to have banned, name wise. Were this a petition I would sign it.

EDIT: I meant on the forum. :P I know there is a petition on the OP. I signed it there.
Edited by Ryken#1486 on 4/6/2014 6:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So make a clan with and for your friends and invite people who are cool and ok with the fact. Despite what you may believe you are not a special little snowflake, you're a human being. Stop being entitled.
Hell i have trans friends who hate this kind of segregating entitlement for yourselves. Especially the trans friends who worked hard for what they have and comformed within the allowable tolerances of the rules without demanding handouts because somehow they feel they're different. And they'll admit they're not different than anyone else. Double hell they didn't even tell me who or what they were until it directly compromised their sexuality in various ways. They didn't go screaming "i'm trans i deserve this!!!!". They did what they did until they felt THEIR desision and mindset was directly affecting another. Not the other way around. Maybe they're just a hell of a lot more considerate, humble, and understanding of the rules of nature than you might be. If you get it it lifted, hey good for you. If not, suck it up buttercup and adhere to the rules blizzard laid in place.

In before reported for harrassment because i hurt your delicate feelings. I know girls with bigger balls than you do, both litterally and metaphorically, so man or woman up and deal with it.
Reply Quote
Game fixes for glitches and bugs > your problem.

Some achievements can't even be completed because the monsters don't actually spawn.
Reply Quote
04/06/2014 06:22 PMPosted by TLIoInferno
You're right, it shouldn't be banned. It should be unbanned.

All the same, I think it's absurd to make a clan focused entirely around being !@#$%^-*!@. If you want to be seen as a human being, equal to everyone else, the best way to do that is not to separate yourself from others who are different. Accept the fact that there are lots of different kinds of people, and coexist together in your clan that focuses not on what your body is like but how you treat other people and how you play the game.

With each recruit, simply explain to them that you and many members are #$%^-*!@#$, and ask them if they are okay with that. Making a dedicated "%^-*!@#$%^" clan would cause people to start using terms like "those people". You don't want that. Wouldn't you prefer if you didn't even need to specify your gender? Wouldn't you prefer to play with other people who care about enjoying the game with you, and don't care about your gender?

I'm just saying, making a clan focused around something like that causes more problems than it solves. By making "-*!@#$%^-*" the focus of your clan, you are separating people. By doing that, you are telling people "I think !@#$%^-*!@s should be in this clan, separate from everyone else". I'm a straight man, so I guess I'll never know what it's like to be in your shoes, but I would think you'd want some progression towards acceptance and coexistence rather than segregation.

You would be better off making a normal clan like "The Accepting Gamers" or something like that, and simply let people know what sort of things you're okay with and what sort of things you expect them to be okay with. I can completely understand if you want to avoid jerks who insult you because of your trans- situation, and leading a clan would allow you to separate yourself from such people. But why would it have to be trans- only? Wouldn't a person who is male or female but accepting and kind be perfectly okay to have around?

Edit: For clarification, I'm not swearing, I was using the "trans" word.

The Fact is they want to be in a 'safe environment.' This is understandable because people will constantly slam you for being different anywhere you go, especially in games. I think they should be allowed to have their clan name with trans in it. More power to this person. I guess folks forget just how cruel society is towards folks that are different.

All in all it would be good judgement on their part to unban Trans for your situation.
Edited by Urgle#1622 on 4/6/2014 6:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Not the other way around. Maybe they're just a hell of a lot more considerate, humble, and understanding of the rules of nature than you might be.

Please, oh sheikh, enlighten me on "the rules of nature" as they pertain to asking for a word to be unbanned.
Edited by d0e1ow#1805 on 4/6/2014 6:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Oh btw you're not fighting for the word to create a safe enviroment. You're doing the complete opposite. If you wanted a safe enviroment you'd call it anything you want and have rules regarding the members and membership.

You wanting the name is doing nothing but point out for everyone to see that you are not to be messed with and you're alienating your own like minded individuals. You blatantly wishing to point out WE ARE X instead of saying we welcome and accept X.

You're creating a vocal movement with the name instead of a welcoming community.

Look at WoW. Google searches a plenty will show you how many guilds there are for LGBT's... But here's the kicker.. They don't have guild names that even give off the slightest hint of it. And they are a very prosporous and happy community of absolutely WONDERFUL people that I'll happily admit to spending a lot of time eith raiding, pvping, and RPing with... The ones I, or they, can't seem to stand are the ones who openly protest and display it, ruining everyone elses game experience.

And lets not forget about you having your simple word and all it takes it one person to join a pub and say the wrong thing and you're all WHHHHOOOOAAAAA DISCRIMINATION BAN HIM. Effectively ruining someone elses day like you're just waiting for it to happen.
Reply Quote
TLIoInferno hit the nail on the head.

Gaming is not about separating yourself or others its about getting together with people and sharing one common hobby. With that being said, the option for 'transgender' should still be available.

Hope it works out for you.
Reply Quote
"Please, oh sheikh, enlighten me on "the rules of nature" as they pertain to asking for a word to be unbanned."

Go on say it. I know you want to...
This has "what do you mean 'you people'" written all over it.
Nice try not falling for it.
Reply Quote
04/06/2014 06:59 PMPosted by Odie
"Please, oh sheikh, enlighten me on "the rules of nature" as they pertain to asking for a word to be unbanned."

Go on say it. I know you want to...
This has "what do you mean 'you people'" written all over it.
Nice try not falling for it.

No, it doesn't. I'd really like to know what you mean though. Why are you assuming things about me? You don't even know me. My words throughout this topic, dating back to the original, have been words of peace, understanding, and support.

Your words have been words of hatred and anger.

Peace, peace, peace.

I simply don't know what you are talking about "rules of nature" as it pertains to this issue. There is no "rule of nature" going on here. What do you mean? Do you even know what natural law is? How does it apply here?

Natural Law would dictate a human approach, one of reason and dignity, of which your posts have none for the topic creator as you have disrespected them and dishonored their cause.
Reply Quote
signed, this is an archaic ban.

Anyone who doesn't care shouldn't have clicked on here in the first place, and anyone else directly against seeing this word needs to step out of their basement and catch up to the rest of society.
Reply Quote
I might give credence to this person's topic if I wasn't so sure they are just another attention hungry troll trying to pass for a mere rabblerouser.
Reply Quote
04/06/2014 06:56 PMPosted by Odie
Oh btw you're not fighting for the word to create a safe enviroment. You're doing the complete opposite. If you wanted a safe enviroment you'd call it anything you want and have rules regarding the members and membership.

You wanting the name is doing nothing but point out for everyone to see that you are not to be messed with and you're alienating your own like minded individuals. You blatantly wishing to point out WE ARE X instead of saying we welcome and accept X.

You're creating a vocal movement with the name instead of a welcoming community.

Look at WoW. Google searches a plenty will show you how many guilds there are for LGBT's... But here's the kicker.. They don't have guild names that even give off the slightest hint of it. And they are a very prosporous and happy community of absolutely WONDERFUL people that I'll happily admit to spending a lot of time eith raiding, pvping, and RPing with... The ones I, or they, can't seem to stand are the ones who openly protest and display it, ruining everyone elses game experience.

And lets not forget about you having your simple word and all it takes it one person to join a pub and say the wrong thing and you're all WHHHHOOOOAAAAA DISCRIMINATION BAN HIM. Effectively ruining someone elses day like you're just waiting for it to happen.

BS detector going off. This person wants the word in there for an easy search, nothing else. Take off your tin foil hat and stop reading into it. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you aren't quality control for the diablo guilds. Find something meaningful to care about.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]