Diablo® III

MSI ghost G6 black screen at start up

I have a new laptop and every time I open diablo 3 the screen is black. I can hear the music and move the mouse pointer, but I cant see the screen to change the game settings or anything so I have to ALT TAB and quit the program to get out.

MSI ghost G6 laptop
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Loki ,

Can you post some information about your computer? You can find this information in the Direct X Diagnostic Tool:

Click on Start
Click on Run
Type in: dxdiag (In Vista, type dxdiag in the search field)
Hit Enter or OK

Click on the Save All Information button at the bottom, and create a dxdiag text file, and copy and paste it ALL here.

Could you also post your D3Prefs.txt file? It's located in the My Documents\Diablo III folder.

Lastly, your D3Debug.txt file located in the main Diablo III game folder will possibly help as well.

I just bought an MSI laptop aswell with windows 8.1. It opens in black screen, and after reading a bit about it, it seems to be a resolution problem, which I then try to fix, but there simply is n D3prefs.txt in my Diablo 3 folder, and my D3debug.txt says it supports pretty much all resolutions. It's honestly getting pretty annoying.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Skoll,

Your D3Prefs.txt file isn't in the game folder, it's in the My Documents\Diablo III folder.

I am having the exact same issue. I just got a MSI ghost laptop, and just have the black screen and my cursor. I can hear the game, but can't do anything. I appreciate the blue text, but I am not incredibly computer savvy, so I have no clue what it means.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Try running in windowed mode for now as a work around
a. Navigate to My Documents>Diablo III > D3Prefs.txt
b. Edit DisplayModeWindowMode "0" to say DisplayModeWindowMode "1"
c. SAVE
d. Restart Game
Edited by MissCheetah#1661 on 4/19/2014 1:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I have solved this problem by changing windowed mode to 1 the first time it didn't save for some reason.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]