Diablo® III

Best starting talents for DH nowadays?

View profile
I've read through the sticky up top regarding th 2.0 changes, and while I'm getting some general ideas as to how the DH is different now, I'm still not quite figuring out the "groove" of what's best to start out.

Previously, I was using a "tanky" DH build back in Vanilla (but stopped playing about 7 months ago).

I just bought RoS a week ago and have been having fun... but mostly have been playing my barb as I've had a better feel for efficiency with that character.

... but I want to get back to my DH (the class I love the most).

I'm wondering what is the best starting build? or... at least some good starting builds.

Right now I don't feel very "efficient" (and I know that much of it is due to still having crappy gear).

But... I got a calamity from blood shards last night (amazing luck it seems) - and hopefully I won't have to pay several million to get the socket for it (ran out of souls last night trying to re-enchant for a socket).

Anyhow, any help would be appreciated.

In the meantime, I'll keep looking at profiles to see what people are using. My current build doesn't seem that awesome.
Reply Quote
nice find on that Calamity!

As far as I know, there are two mainstream builds, the fire CA build and the marauder's pet build.

The CA basically stacks fire damage % and resource reduction to spam cluster arrow. The most important items for this build are the cindercoat and reaper's wraps, when you get those two you can start spamming CA somewhat confortably. To complement the build, you want to get a magefist, pride's fall or andariel's visage and a SoJ.

The marauder's build is a little tougher to achieve. You need at least the marauder's 4-piece bonus, that allows you to use all companions at once. Complement the build with the "wolf cloak" (I don't remember the name, but it gives you three wolf companions instead of only one), the 6-piece bonus from the marauder set (sentries cast your hatred spender) and the "sentries quiver" (you can place two additional sentries). You will probably want to stack cooldown reduction for the sentries, and %physical damage for the companions + sentries. You will probably need a ring of royal grandeur to complete the set, and a tasker and theo would be nice (pets attack 50% faster). This build is way tougher to complete, and I'm not sure if it is as effective as the CA build.
Reply Quote
View profile
Thanks on that! And... thanks on the information!

Yeah, I'd been focusing on my barb, but really want to play my DH - so I still have a long ways to go of course. But... we all gotta start somewhere, right?

But yeah, what a great start with that Calamity! I was reading just a few days ago about someone getting one from turning in blood shards. I didn't think in a million years I would myself.... but here we are.

Now... if I could just get it to re-roll a socket... sadly I am out of souls to do it... so back to farming.

Gear will come... but beginning builds help me not go splat so fast.
Reply Quote
View profile
So as a side note... I probably don't want to use CA right now until I can get some key items.

Wondering if my current set-up is better then? I have frost arrows because of my wrists.

Seems I probably should drop one of my talents for a wolf... though I feel pretty squishy without glooms damage reduction and healing.
Reply Quote
Yeah wow nice find on the calamity. Several people have spent 200+ paragon levels and not found one.

Having said that and looking at your build you are doing fine. You really don't need to necessarily do a cookie cutter build. I'm running a non-standard lightning build and it's working great.

Most people using Elemental Arrow are using it with Kridershot, but no reason it won't work with a Calamity. Since you have Reapers Wraps with cold damage you may want to consider Entangling Shot Heavy Burden or Evasive Fire with Displace.

I'd recommend dropping Custom Engineering, it isn't worth it just for Sentry. Instead pickup Steady Aim. Running a Frost Arrow build you will be able to keep mobs at a distance most of the time, and if you augment it with Entangling Shot or Evasive Fire you'll have an even easier time.

Keep farming. If you do happen to get a Cindercoat it would be a good idea to switch to a fire build, but trouble is you'll have to craft new Reaper's Wraps if you want fire damage on them. It's hard to beat a Cindercoat and Cluster Arrow Loaded for Bear build.

Give some thought what build you'd really like to run end game, but realize the game will give you what it wants to give you and tailor your builds accordingly. I knew I wanted to run a lightning build but I wanted a Kridershot to run with Ball Lightning, but the game gave me a Calamity so I'm running a build more suited to it. I was sad giving up 3 piece nats bonus with Ring of Royal Grandeur but really wanted to run the Garwulf Cloak. Make use of what the game gives you, and be careful with your enchants.
Reply Quote
try smoke screen: healing vapors for the aggro drop and heal.
Reply Quote
View profile
Thanks for the added information - and yeah, It seems I'll need to be farming for several items (including the cindercoat especially).

Thanks for the advice on custom engineering. I'll get steady aim instead - that'll help boost damage at least - and you're right... it is a pain to build up three turrets... though handy on some situations.

Any recommendations on the other talents? I see nearly everyone uses the wolf... though I hesitate losing preparation, gloom, or vault to get it.

EDIT: Thanks Purkel - so I'll drop gloom for what you recommend and see how that works.
Edited by LunarSolaris#1177 on 4/22/2014 3:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/22/2014 03:08 PMPosted by LunarSolaris
So as a side note... I probably don't want to use CA right now until I can get some key items.

Wondering if my current set-up is better then? I have frost arrows because of my wrists.

Seems I probably should drop one of my talents for a wolf... though I feel pretty squishy without glooms damage reduction and healing.

Stutter step a bit and you should be fine. Plus the wolf will tank for you somewhat. Very few people use shadow power anymore. Use those health globes and potions.

There's no reason you can't start working on a CA build. But if you do, run Blood Vengeance, drop Perfectionist, and you'll need to run Prep Punishment. Also try to craft some shoulders with resource reduction at least and do A3 bounties for a Pride's Fall. Other slots also can have resource reduction which is very useful for a CA build. And use your Blood Shards to try and get a Cindercoat. You'll probably get other good cloaks along the way... Garwulf or Beckon Sail or Blackfeather or Cape of the Dark Nights are all good.

But you don't have to go for a CA build right now, you can run the build you are running. Elemental Arrow Frost Arrow is really efficient so you won't need all the resource reduction and other pieces that make up a CA build. But if you want to run a CA build you may want to start now... or at least really start working towards getting the pieces for it.
Reply Quote
You haven't the gear for either of the builds above; therefore, I suggest you get familiar with the fundamentals of sound theory crafting, independent of specific items.

What do I mean by this?

First, you want to be hatred and disc efficient. If your using a standard 3 hatred generator, then make sure you augment that with hatred gain from gear or skills. Regarding disc, you want have enough disc to sustain you through fights with Elites. If you dont have a large disc pool and Resource Cost Reduction gear, then you need to consider NS passive, or Suppression Fire.

Second, concerning skills, you want to select skills that work with, rather than against, each other. In other words, you want skills that can be used concurrently with your secondary. Additionally, you want to choose a Primary/Secodary setup that goes well together. The examples I like to use are HA/Chakram and Bola/Impale. Exploding out to Archery and devices, you need to consider how well they would mesh with your primary/secondary. For example, CA would not work at all with the Impale build, but since Chakram costs hardly anything, CA could fill the hatred dump roll.

Also, don't forget about defense, positioning, damage passives, and Skills on cooldown (time is also a resource, not all skills have to drain your hatred).
Reply Quote
View profile
Again, thanks for the advice - all of it very useful!

I think I'll stick with my current build for now (with tweaks based on the suggestions made) - and then switch over to CA with loaded for bear as soon as I can get some of the items that are being referenced.

Yeah, the shadowpower was back in the day that the calamity "tank" build worked pretty well in inferno.

Seems I will go with wolf and try that and the smoke screen instead of gloom.

EDIT: Thanks RedCell for the advice.
Edited by LunarSolaris#1177 on 4/22/2014 3:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]