Diablo® III

Character Drops Predetermined at Creation

(Locked)

04/29/2014 10:55 AMPosted by Ralektria
That can sum up all theories about loot. Tons of people have them, and have "confirmed" opposing theories. For example one person may "confirm" (I use the words confirmed very loosely that's why they are in quotations) that this theory is true while another person "confirms" it's false. At the end of the day, it all comes down to what I just linked. Blizzard didn't put a secret "puzzle" in their loot system that players have to solve in order to benefit from optimal loot acquisition. There is no purpose for them to do something like that and it would make modification of their code (for example if they want to increase drop rates) extremely difficult and cumbersome. From a design standpoint its fundamentally flawed in every aspect.

I have neither confirmed nor denied anything. I have simply stated a theory. You (and all of those like you that were born with a palm on their face) can ignore this theory with all your heart's content. What I'm going to do is speak from my own experience. If that doesn't match yours, fine. Goodbye.

As for your design comments about Blizzard: denying that Blizzard would have any reason behind adding a "hidden" loot system that varies, not just with RNG, but with actual built in weighted tables, then you're ignoring their entire purpose of this game: to make them money. They don't really care if you complete that JH set in a week. They got your money. They would probably feel relieved if a few people quit because their servers would be less stressed. Blizzard likes $$$. The RMAH used to make them a good amount of it. To be foolish enough to ignore their agenda, I hate to be the one to tell you, but you're worse off than I am.

Ultimately, it's about getting the best gear. You don't have to buy into any theory. Just keep eating what Blizzard feeds you.
So it's like pokemon red and pokemon blue, eh?

Interesting theory.

-Kc
This disturbs me. I don't expect a blue to post on this matter because it would kill everything. Keep it bumped though.
I think it's also worth pointing out that this hidden loot table would be far less obvious with the AH/RMAH. If you didn't get that one legendary to complete your set, you could just buy it. Now that there's no AH or worthwhile trading, I think it's more apparent that some legs drop more commonly than others for different people/characters.
Community Manager
Hey all!

For clarity, items and their stats are determined at the time that they're generated in the game world. In most situations, this is when the item physically drops (like from a monster, a chest, or a destructible). In cases where there isn't a physical drop, items and their stats are determined as soon the game creates them. For example, items from Kadala are generated as soon as they're purchased. Item types, stats, drops rates, etc. are not determined, or pre-determined, upon creation of a character nor is that kind of information stored in some sort of seed on the character itself.

It's important to keep in mind that random != uniform or equal distribution. It's completely natural for random systems to include clusters, and for the human brain to interpret those clusters as patterns (even where there are none).

Thanks for the discussion, though! Theories like this are always interesting, and of course can yield great feedback on and insight into potential related issues. :) I’m going to go ahead and lock this thread up, though, since the theory isn't actually accurate and I'd like to help curb some of the misinformation.

In parting, for your trouble, I'll leave you with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbInZ5oJ0bc
Edited by Lylirra on 5/30/2014 10:41 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]