Diablo® III

Reasoning behind normal bounty dropping the same as T6?

(Locked)

I just don't get the logic behind this.

I am at the point in this game where I just want to find the items I am looking for in the most efficient manner. Which brings me to the incredibly odd decision not have bounties scale with difficulty.

In a recent blue post one of the devs awkwardly answered that "bounties provide the same reward across torments, but torments provide better rewards while you farm the bounties".

Which is a sideways means of saying "well the rewards the same but hey look at all those harder monsters standing between you and the reward! Errr aren't they rewarding?".

It just doesn't make any kind of logical sense.

Blizzard has openly acknowledged that split farming is not their intention with bounties and yet the reward system in place not only encourages but requires this behavior if you are actually interested in finding some of the harder to find items: aka the royal ring of grandeur.

Recently I opened 20 consecutive caches and literally got 0 legendaries. In fact the only item I seem to get with any kind of reliability is the accursed soul smasher 2H mace of legendary trolling.

So what is it Blizz? Do you intend us to speed grind bounties for a shot at any abysmally low drop or would you prefer us to actually play with our friends and enjoy the content by scaling up the difficulty to our gear?

Currently I find bounties are an irritating triviality that stands between the big yawn that is low density multilevel rifts.
Edited by Malecite#1109 on 4/23/2014 4:34 PM PDT
For some reason I feel like everything will stay the same, and they'll just make split farming cache not doable then call it "fixed"
04/23/2014 04:35 PMPosted by iLove3P
For some reason I feel like everything will stay the same, and they'll just make split farming cache not doable then call it "fixed"

But why?

This is their supposed end game is it not? Do they realize that by encouraging this behavior it takes bounties from actually being useful and or fun and replaces them with a chore like pain in the a$$.

This game had a beta phase did it not? At what point did someone think "hey I feel like in an ARPG geared towards character progression we should reward playing the lowest possible difficulty with characters spread out and not playing together".

That guy apparently got promoted.
04/23/2014 04:41 PMPosted by Malecite
04/23/2014 04:35 PMPosted by iLove3P

But why?

This is their supposed end game is it not? Do they realize that by encouraging this behavior it takes bounties from actually being useful and or fun and replaces them with a chore like pain in the a$$.

This game had a beta phase did it not? At what point did someone think "hey I feel like in an ARPG geared towards character progression we should reward playing the lowest possible difficulty with characters spread out and not playing together".

Did you.. somehow argue for AND against split bounties on normal in the same post?
<span class="truncated">...</span>

But why?

Did you.. somehow argue for AND against split bounties on normal in the same post?

I realize sarcasm can be a difficult ocean to navigate so my apologies.

Yes I did.

In a realistic time sense split farming is actually necessary if you wish to get items in the most efficient fashion. Which in my opinion is completely ridiculous.

Any game that is geared towards loot and character progression that actively incentivizes playing on the most trivial difficulty is absurd.

The loot system needs to scale upwards otherwise what is the point?

If I have to open 20 caches to get a shot at one legendary then why in the name of all that is holy would I bang my head against the wall that is T1-T6?

It doesn't make SENSSEEEEEEEEEEE ARG MY BRAIN!!!!!!!!
Edited by Malecite#1109 on 4/23/2014 4:52 PM PDT
@Malecite:

It's actually an interesting story why the Normal difficulty cache = the T6 cache. I'd be happy to explain if you really want to know.

Basically, in the first week or so of RoS, this was not the case. The Horadric Cache on T6 was *far* more likely to give you a legend. I'd say 1/6 or so odds. But then, how could I possibly know what a T6 cache was likely to give you in the first week seeing as to how I"m barely able to kill T6 uniques even now?

Well - because unfortunately thanks to the way the cache is given and the fact that there's just one item for it, the game had no way of knowing whether you'd completed the farming in normal or in T6. . . . so it gave you credit basedo nwhere you *OPENED* the cache.

I know at least two of my 'friends' who abused the HELL out of this fact and opened several hundred caches in the first week or two. Many legends and imperial gems were found.

Unsurprisingly this had to be fixed *FAST* and so the caches were all set to 'normal' drop level. With any luck, Blizzard will impelement tiered cache-drops in an upcoming patch very Soon(TM)!

-AHMAD

PS: Not actually being sarcastic; it's exactly the kind of buff I've learned to expect and admire them for.
04/23/2014 04:54 PMPosted by KingOfBlades
@Malecite:

It's actually an interesting story why the Normal difficulty cache = the T6 cache. I'd be happy to explain if you really want to know.

Basically, in the first week or so of RoS, this was not the case. The Horadric Cache on T6 was *far* more likely to give you a legend. I'd say 1/6 or so odds. But then, how could I possibly know what a T6 cache was likely to give you in the first week seeing as to how I"m barely able to kill T6 uniques even now?

Well - because unfortunately thanks to the way the cache is given and the fact that there's just one item for it, the game had no way of knowing whether you'd completed the farming in normal or in T6. . . . so it gave you credit basedo nwhere you *OPENED* the cache.

I know at least two of my 'friends' who abused the HELL out of this fact and opened several hundred caches in the first week or two. Many legends and imperial gems were found.

Unsurprisingly this had to be fixed *FAST* and so the caches were all set to 'normal' drop level. With any luck, Blizzard will impelement tiered cache-drops in an upcoming patch very Soon(TM)!

-AHMAD

PS: Not actually being sarcastic; it's exactly the kind of buff I've learned to expect and admire them for.

Wait seriously?

So your telling me that it took them seconds to hotfix this but we are now forced to wait months while they effectively incentivize split farming?

Sigh

Well thank you for answering my question, it really was defying any kind of logic and making my headache with the stupidity of all of it. Guess I will just stick to rifts and do as few bounties as possible until this gets patched.
Ya guys its ridiculous to play with other players to speed up tasks. I think party mode should be removed from the game. Harrumph.

I realize sarcasm can be a difficult ocean to navigate so my apologies.

Yes I did.

In a realistic time sense split farming is actually necessary if you wish to get items in the most efficient fashion. Which in my opinion is completely ridiculous.

Any game that is geared towards loot and character progression that actively incentivizes playing on the most trivial difficulty is absurd.

The loot system needs to scale upwards otherwise what is the point?

If I have to open 20 caches to get a shot at one legendary then why in the name of all that is holy would I bang my head against the wall that is T1-T6?

It doesn't make SENSSEEEEEEEEEEE ARG MY BRAIN!!!!!!!!

In D2, depending on what item you wanted, it was more efficient to farm at lower difficulties.

I don't see a huge problem with the way the system is currently setup, but if they do make split farming impossible, they had better drastically improve the rewards from doing the bounties. They take way too long solo for what you get.

That said, I doubt they will remove the ability to do split bounties. Instead, they'll make it so you need to be playing on torment 1, at minimum, to get any legs from the cache.
So are you mad people aren't standing next to each other doing bounties or that they are doing bounties on Normal? I don't get if your argument is against split farming or easy farming.. Because most people I know can just as easily split farm T1 as they can Normal.
The reasoning is that the Difficulty Levels are no longer tied to Monster Level.. the difficulty slider is meant as nothing more than a "fun factor" meter, ie if you would rather have a bit harder of challenge you may do so.
04/23/2014 04:33 PMPosted by Malecite
I just don't get the logic behind this.

I am at the point in this game where I just want to find the items I am looking for in the most efficient manner. Which brings me to the incredibly odd decision not have bounties scale with difficulty.

In a recent blue post one of the devs awkwardly answered that "bounties provide the same reward across torments, but torments provide better rewards while you farm the bounties".

Which is a sideways means of saying "well the rewards the same but hey look at all those harder monsters standing between you and the reward! Errr aren't they rewarding?".

It just doesn't make any kind of logical sense.

Blizzard has openly acknowledged that split farming is not their intention with bounties and yet the reward system in place not only encourages but requires this behavior if you are actually interested in finding some of the harder to find items: aka the royal ring of grandeur.

Recently I opened 20 consecutive caches and literally got 0 legendaries. In fact the only item I seem to get with any kind of reliability is the accursed soul smasher 2H mace of legendary trolling.

So what is it Blizz? Do you intend us to speed grind bounties for a shot at any abysmally low drop or would you prefer us to actually play with our friends and enjoy the content by scaling up the difficulty to our gear?

Currently I find bounties are an irritating triviality that stands between the big yawn that is low density multilevel rifts.

if all you do is bounties... i mean no wonder you get terrible drops. If you are like about 90% of the failing community that have to be told how to play... yep you probably skip white mobs, never smash objects and say rifts have terrible density but only have 400k dps.
04/23/2014 05:08 PMPosted by Paz
The reasoning is that the Difficulty Levels are no longer tied to Monster Level.. the difficulty slider is meant as nothing more than a "fun factor" meter, ie if you would rather have a bit harder of challenge you may do so.

oh and you can't get the top tier items from non torment so what you said is completely incorrect.
04/23/2014 04:57 PMPosted by Malecite
Well thank you for answering my question, it really was defying any kind of logic and making my headache with the stupidity of all of it. Guess I will just stick to rifts and do as few bounties as possible until this gets patched.

!

Wait, now I'm confused. Please - I think you may have misunderstood me. I *anticipate* such a fix, but that in no way means such a fix has been announced. Nor am I a blizzard developer to have such an inside scoop.

If you want a Grand Ring, at this point, you've still got to farm for it. Shouldn't take more than 2-6 hours, properly geared and with good friends though.

For my part, thanks to Danetta's Hatred+Spite and public splitfarm, I tend to get a cache in 3 minutes. . . . 5 if there's an AFK'er. 40-100 caches *really* ought to be enough for a ring. And if it's not, no matter, it's a further area of advancement for you to try and roll the dice on the *next* time you get bored in D3 and are thinking "hmm what should I do now?".

That's the only way I know to really enjoy the game - focus on what's guaranteed. The joy of killing monsters, trying out fancy skill comboes and builds, blitzing through content or "challenging myself" with the highest torment I can bear. These things are fun. Doing them with friends moreso. Why *NOT* do it?

-AHMAD
04/23/2014 05:13 PMPosted by polyoddity
04/23/2014 05:08 PMPosted by Paz

oh and you can't get the top tier items from non torment so what you said is completely incorrect.

yes but 95% of the rest of the items you want can be found on normal. Its just the class specific sets right?
<span class="truncated">...</span>

yes but 95% of the rest of the items you want can be found on normal. Its just the class specific sets right?

95% for maybe like wiz or DH. not really for any other class. Sets are going to beat out regular legends all day...they have set bonuses and legends don't.
Edited by polyoddity#1878 on 4/23/2014 5:19 PM PDT
Is this something like the old saying "closing the barn door" I find it funny how post after post wants to change everything and make the game more difficult for all the players who might not have god like armor, weapons, etc and are just starting to play, because some of you are bored.

Just go play in T6 and shut the &*^%$ up..
04/23/2014 05:20 PMPosted by Zero
Is this something like the old saying "closing the barn door" I find it funny how post after post wants to change everything and make the game more difficult for all the players who might not have god like armor, weapons, etc and are just starting to play, because some of you are bored.

Just go play in T6 and shut the &*^%$ up..

Good to see that reading comprehension is part of participating in an online forum...

If you had actually used that skill you would see that I was arguing that very point. I want to play in a higher torment that actually rewards doing so.

Effectively we agree that people should play on the difficulty level they prefer and be rewarded accordingly. So yes instead of nerfing the normal drop rate I would love it if they buffed the reward rate for Torments.

/reading rainbow
04/23/2014 05:14 PMPosted by KingOfBlades
04/23/2014 04:57 PMPosted by Malecite

!

Wait, now I'm confused. Please - I think you may have misunderstood me. I *anticipate* such a fix, but that in no way means such a fix has been announced. Nor am I a blizzard developer to have such an inside scoop.

If you want a Grand Ring, at this point, you've still got to farm for it. Shouldn't take more than 2-6 hours, properly geared and with good friends though.

For my part, thanks to Danetta's Hatred+Spite and public splitfarm, I tend to get a cache in 3 minutes. . . . 5 if there's an AFK'er. 40-100 caches *really* ought to be enough for a ring. And if it's not, no matter, it's a further area of advancement for you to try and roll the dice on the *next* time you get bored in D3 and are thinking "hmm what should I do now?".

That's the only way I know to really enjoy the game - focus on what's guaranteed. The joy of killing monsters, trying out fancy skill comboes and builds, blitzing through content or "challenging myself" with the highest torment I can bear. These things are fun. Doing them with friends moreso. Why *NOT* do it?

-AHMAD

Well to be honest I have spent a week farming for this ring and doing bounties in 3 min and still find after opening 20 at a time that I Just can't get it to drop.

This in itself is okay, I mean the game is about the item hunt but I don't want to feel like I have to speed play my way through the content, or as the troll above mentioned "probably skip white mobs, never smash objects and say rifts have terrible density but only have 400k dps.".

Except that I don't have 400k dps I have 1.3mil sheet dps as a WD and can solo T6, which is what I would love to be doing instead of ripping through normal on 3min runs that yeild virtually nothing.
Community Manager
As a heads up, we’re looking to make two changes to Horadric Caches. The first change is to allow the caches to drop Torment-only Legendary items. The second is to increase the chance that you’ll find a Legendary item in Horadric Caches, including Act-specific Legendaries like the Royal Ring of Grandeur, based on the Torment difficulty. What this means is that Horadric Caches earned in Torment I+ will be able to drop Torment restricted Legendary items, and caches earned in Torment II+ will have a scaling bonus for dropping Legendary items (which includes those items only found in a cache).

You can find a list of Torment-only Legendary items right here, courtesy of Nevalistis. :)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]