Diablo® III

Horadric Cache Question

I want to start farming items for my wizard now that i am quite happy with my DH. Can i farm cache bags with my DH and open them with my wizard for items? Or will all the items be tailored to my DH? Thanks!
Reply Quote
No one knows the answer to this??? :(
Reply Quote
To my knowledge, cache contents are determined when your character receives them, not when they are opened. This is to prevent people from opening caches in T6 rifts with fortune shrines, magic find gear using multiplayer magic find buffs.

A cache you received with your DH will be tailored to your DH.
Edited by Lucx#1837 on 4/16/2014 2:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
04/16/2014 02:55 PMPosted by Lucx
To my knowledge, cache contents are determined when your character receives them, not when they are opened.

This should be the case. However, bear in mind that smart loot drops are not always guaranteed, even from Horadric Caches - there's still a chance the items within do not roll appropriately for your character, though the chance for that is fairly low.
Reply Quote
Nevermind! misread
Edited by Lain#1696 on 4/16/2014 6:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/16/2014 06:25 PMPosted by Nevalistis
To my knowledge, cache contents are determined when your character receives them, not when they are opened.

This should be the case. However, bear in mind that smart loot drops are not always guaranteed, even from Horadric Caches - there's still a chance the items within do not roll appropriately for your character, though the chance for that is fairly low.

Are you sure?

I did bounties with my low level barb and opened them with my 70 wizard.
The gear that dropped had int, but was the level of my barb.

This was once though, didn't really try again.

OP, just do it and see what happens.
Reply Quote
Opening the cache is like killing monsters, it's different from getting loot directly.

If you get a cache on a DH but open it on Barb and get a legendary, you would most likely get strength items.
Reply Quote
04/16/2014 06:34 PMPosted by Avermra
Opening the cache is like killing monsters, it's different from getting loot directly.

If you get a cache on a DH but open it on Barb and get a legendary, you would most likely get strength items.

Correct. I have confirmed this multiple times. I quite often farm bounty caches with either my teleporting wiz or my barb, and then open them with my crusader or DH, whoever I think needs a gear boost the most.

Another great option for gearing alternate characters is to do rifts with your most powerful character on T1, and then change characters and spend your shards with Kadala. That way you're sure to get gear for your desired character.
Reply Quote
As a personal anecdote, I've been farming for the Ring of Royal Grandeur for a while.

This week I've gotten Mad Monarch's Scepter and said RoRG.

...'cept, they rolled STR, even though I earned the caches on my DH and opened them on the spot.

Smart loot's gonna RNG. I'll just keep farming, I guess.
Edited by Senkaon#1858 on 4/16/2014 6:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The cache items are rolled when they are opened, and not when the cache was aquired.

That means whichever character you open the cache on, will get smartloot applied to them.

Demon hunter farms the caches, Barbarian opens = strength and barb items comes out.

Wizard farms the cache and demon hunter opens the caches = bows and dex items are rolled.

This has been proven over and over a 1000 times.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
04/16/2014 06:33 PMPosted by ttylz

As I mentioned, such coincidences can occur, but should generally be rare. I did experience something similar earlier today, just to check and make sure for myself. A cache obtained by my 70 Wizard gave my 60 Barbarian a set of level 70 shoulders with Strength, but the next cache I gave to my 60 Demon Hunter gave her a level 70 wand with Intelligence.

It would take hundreds of tests to be absolutely certain on an individual level. Luckily, that's something our Quality Assurance team has already been thoroughly over. ;) Items found within should be dependent on the Horadric Cache's acquirer if they roll smart loot, and the Difficulty in which they are acquired or opened should have no bearing on the loot produced.
Reply Quote
04/16/2014 06:25 PMPosted by Nevalistis

Hi Nevalistis, I got a non-cache legendary Vigilante Belt last night from a Act 1 Cache. Is that possible?
Reply Quote
04/16/2014 06:45 PMPosted by Nevalistis
04/16/2014 06:33 PMPosted by ttylz

As I mentioned, such coincidences can occur, but should generally be rare. I did experience something similar earlier today, just to check and make sure for myself. A cache obtained by my 70 Wizard gave my 60 Barbarian a set of level 70 shoulders with Strength, but the next cache I gave to my 60 Demon Hunter gave her a level 70 wand with Intelligence.

It would take hundreds of tests to be absolutely certain on an individual level. Luckily, that's something our Quality Assurance team has already been thoroughly over. ;) Items found within should be dependent on the Horadric Cache's acquirer if they roll smart loot, and the Difficulty in which they are acquired or opened should have no bearing on the loot produced.

"if they roll smart loot"

im sorry....we have the option of shutting smart loot off in some way shape or form?
Reply Quote
I don't think this is accurate information. As an example, I farm bounties solely on my wizard for items solely on my barb (who opens the caches.) Check my ring of royal grandeur on female barb: strength roll.

edit: It may not be working as intended but I'm pretty sure the caches I'm farming on wizard are giving me smart drops for the character I open them with. If I hadn't been VERY confident of this, I would have been using my barb to farm over a hundred act 1 caches for this ring ;)
Edited by ladish#1983 on 4/16/2014 6:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/16/2014 06:50 PMPosted by BigBudz
04/16/2014 06:45 PMPosted by Nevalistis

"if they roll smart loot"

im sorry....we have the option of shutting smart loot off in some way shape or form?
No its just like a 50% chance for smartloot
Reply Quote
04/16/2014 06:49 PMPosted by jinxstar

Hi Nevalistis, I got a non-cache legendary Vigilante Belt last night from a Act 1 Cache. Is that possible?

Well, you did get one, so it looks like it is.

But yes, non-cache legendaries can be randomly awarded as well. As another anecdote, a ring popped out of my cache. Excited, I ID'd it.. to find it was Rogar's Huge Stone instead of that delicious RoRG I was shooting for. Something to toy around with later on once I get a Death's Bargain, I suppose...
Reply Quote
Got my first royal ring of grandeur recently. Rolled with strength instead of int. It's like that feeling you get when you look down at your newborn baby for the first time and notice that it doesn't really look like you...
Reply Quote
04/16/2014 07:12 PMPosted by Ramshackle
Got my first royal ring of grandeur recently. Rolled with strength instead of int. It's like that feeling you get when you look down at your newborn baby for the first time and notice that it doesn't really look like you...

lol ouch.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I think they reallllly need to look further into this. Its not working as they suspect. I can farm all my bags on my DH, give them to my Wizard(both lvl 70), the smart loot applies to the Wizard(the one who opens them).
Reply Quote
While I can't speak for the rares, as after a certain point it's no longer worth looking at them, but It seems the legendaries roll based on who opens them, now mind you this could just be sheer luck of the draw based on which character got the specific cache and who opened them, but as of this posting I've never gotten a legendary that rolled stats that weren't tailored to the one who received them.

An example of this would be doing 35 caches worth of runs this morning, mainly with my demon hunter, a few runs with the WD/Barb/Wizard adding to the pile. When all was said and done however I opened every one of them on my Monk, and all the legendaries acquired rolled appropriately for her (Even getting monk only mods on a few items even though I never farmed with my monk)

To me this system seems like a decent method to beef up an under geared alt for Torment 1. My two cents is if what our resident GM just posted is correct then I just have GL-luck. Honestly though I don't see why the system couldn't keep the gear "level" and simply smart drop the gear for your desired characters after opening the cache(If it isn't doing that already.)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]