Diablo® III

Official updates on crashing, freezing issues

Can someone who's affiliated with Blizzard give us regular updates on what's being done to address these problems?
Reply Quote
Theres none. No official updates or official response yet, after 2 or more weeks.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
04/15/2014 09:20 AMPosted by Weezky
Theres none. No official updates or official response yet, after 2 or more weeks.

That's a lie, There have been several.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/search?f=post&a=S4d1k&sort=time

Note, S4d1k is not tech support, he's one of the actual mac developers. If he is replying to threads on forums about rift crashes saying he's working on them, it's not just some cut and paste tech support reply. It's the guy responsible for fixing the issues saying he's working on them. The last update was this

04/11/2014 02:26 PMPosted by S4d1k
We are really sorry for all the problems that this bug has caused.
We are still working hard to resolve this issue. A new attempt to fix this will be included in the next patch. This fix will also affect WoW and SC2.

Which is 3 days ago, not "2 or more weeks"

Now if you say "that reply is in graphics glitching thread". the graphics glitching, the freezes, the crashes, are all related to same memory issue. He's been pretty thorough in responding to the main rift crashing thread and the main graphics glitching thread. Just because he doesn't post in the 2 dozen other duplicate threads doesn't mean there are no updates.

@Hyper, just keep an eye on posts by S4d1k. Bookmark this search to make that easy. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/search?f=post&a=S4d1k&sort=time
Edited by MysticalOS#1981 on 4/15/2014 11:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I appreciate the status report and really am looking forward to a fix.
Reply Quote
Is it reasonable to request some sort of summary on what has been fixed when an update arrives? I've no desire to go through the trouble of reinstalling and trying the game if the next patch does not make mention of the Mac-specific fixes it addresses.
Reply Quote
Bump
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
For the next patch, we have reduced our memory usage even more than in 2.0.4
For 2.0.4, the work that was done reduced our number of crashes related to the memory issue by 70%.
With the next patch, we hope to reduce it enough to be insignificant.

If the next patch still doesn't make the problem disappear more work will be done.

We do not give ETAs since the release dates change a lot.
Reply Quote
Thanks a lot for an official response. Hope that patch gets here ASAP and fixes our problems.
Reply Quote
04/18/2014 03:54 PMPosted by S4d1k
For 2.0.4, the work that was done reduced our number of crashes related to the memory issue by 70%.

If the next patch still doesn't make the problem disappear more work will be done.

Can we get better performance if users have better machine?
Not only try to control memory usage, but also get faster if user have much memory.
i have 16 G memory. i don't how many memory you are using. I just want to load game fast, fast and fast.
Reply Quote
Thank you for an official word. I'll try my luck again when the new patch drops.
Reply Quote

That is fantastic news to hear! Looking forward to the next patch quite a bit now.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
S4d1k

Will the reduced memory usage have an affect on performance? Such as maybe you reduced asset caching and a result would be less crashing but more frequent stutter do to increased cycling of assets?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
04/18/2014 05:22 PMPosted by Smile
Can we get better performance if users have better machine?
Not only try to control memory usage, but also get faster if user have much memory.
i have 16 G memory. i don't how many memory you are using. I just want to load game fast, fast and fast.

Diablo 3 is a 32-bit app. It has access to 3.5 GB RAM at the most. Once it reaches that, POOF, you crash. That is why S4d1k has been working to optimize memory usage so we hit that wall far less frequently (ironically I'm crashing more in 2.0.4 than I have since 2.0 came out).

The endgame we desparately need on the Mac side is for D3 to just become a 64-bit app. There's no logical reason not to at this point, and it would eliminate the memory issue entirely. I suspect what's holding S4d1k back on this is that so many Mac users are saddled with Apple's paltry 4 GB RAM and never bothered (or know how) to upgrade to 8 GB or more. And since going to 64-bit realistically means bumping up the minimum system requirements to 6 GB RAM or higher, that might be a non-starter for S4d1k right now.

Unfortunately it is going to have to happen sooner or later, or else we'll just keep hitting these problems over and over again. The same needs to be done on the Windows side. What holds it back there though is slightly different - unlike on OS X where a 32-bit kernel can load a 64-bit app, None of the Windows 32-bit kernels can do so, meaning that if D3 were to transition to 64-bit only, all of Windows XP 32-bit and Windows Vista/7 32-bit support would have to be dropped, which sadly is still a large chunk of players. I do expect that to happen for the next expansion though, as we just can't continue to be saddled with 32-bit limitations on modern game engines.

04/19/2014 02:03 PMPosted by MysticalOS
S4d1k

Will the reduced memory usage have an affect on performance? Such as maybe you reduced asset caching and a result would be less crashing but more frequent stutter do to increased cycling of assets?

This is a concern I have as well. If so, that makes this a no-win scenario for us all. :(
Edited by TheTias#1192 on 4/20/2014 2:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Long load times are annoying to be sure, but I'll take that over the brutal crashing and freezing. I've not been able to play the game since 2.0.3. And I have 16 GB of RAM and a computer has more than met the system requirements since launch two years ago. If anything. It seems to me the optimization has gotten worse. I first noticed issues when blizzard added monster power, though nothing back then ever crashed or froze my computer.
Reply Quote
I too have been unable to "rift" regularly, and it has gotten worse since the patch. In fact I don't remember having problems until rifts. I have a late 2013 MBP with 16 GB of ram. I thought I'd post that since I've seen a couple of posts saying that perhaps some of the people complaining are just mac users that do not know they only have a certain limited amount of ram.

Truth is, Diablo 3 has absolutely no reason at all to not be able to run at MAX settings on my MBP for hours and not crash, yet that is not the case. I hope this is fixed soon like everyone else involved.
Reply Quote
I have this issue, too. When entering a rift or leave it, the screen just freezes. I have to kill the process itself because I can't even switch to desktop.

Something interesting, I can always see a process(with D3 launcher icon) named "Agent" in my activity monitor, and its status is "not responding". I don't get it because whatever agent it is, it should not be "not responding". Perhaps you guys can have a look on that.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
04/20/2014 02:02 AMPosted by TheTias
This is a concern I have as well. If so, that makes this a no-win scenario for us all. :(

But a strong case for pushing higher ups on 64 bit resources for next major patch (2.1).
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
04/19/2014 02:03 PMPosted by MysticalOS
S4d1k

This is a major concern and a lot of testing was done to ensure we do not stutter more.
If you guys experience a lot of stutter after the next patch, we have a backup plan.

There's no 64 bits version on Mac because there's no 64 bits version on Windows.
We just don't have the man power to support it on Mac only.
Reply Quote

Whatever you changed has been working for me. I have yet to have the graphics spaz out in Field of Misery or Highlands lately and no crashing.

Thank you :)
Reply Quote
Yet another freeze and the only way to get the system responding was to power off. Blizzard Bugreporter didn't fire since he didn't recognize the freeze. Problem is, that the OS and other tasks are still running fine, but there is no way to terminate D3 when it freeze. So the user has to take the hit to the Filesystem with the chance of loosing data due corruption. Journaling is fine but not the solution to everything.

With respect to Apples Development Guidelines and common sense:
Stop messing with the OS!

In this state the D3 client can not be safely run on any Mac without risking filesystem corruption.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]