Diablo® III

Suggestion for console: Remove character caps

As the title state, I respectfully request and suggest the removal of character cap or limits. I understand the need for it on PC, but why limit it on console? The data for your saves and characters is saved locally on your system. It doesn't make sense to put a cap on this.

If it would become a memory issue on someone's system, maybe players shouldn't be making over 9000 characters? Even so, if you need to make more room for your local daves, then just delete your local data for other games or delete a few characters you don't play. Even so, the amount of memory Diablo III uses is tiny compared to other games. So again, how would this become an issue. Ever.

So please, PLEASE, remove the character limit caps via a patch or at least increase the cap. Should be an easy fix. If not, why not? If this isn't an option, I feel we should at least know why.
Reply Quote
If it was just myself playing I would understand the limit more, but with my wife and kids making characters to play as well. More slots would be welcome!
Reply Quote
I'd enjoy having more slots. Currently with the current amount I can't make all my SC and HC toons.
Reply Quote
Well, you should bring that to Sony and Microsoft...
=/

They have stupid limitations on how big a save file may become. For multiplayer games, that is extremely small. Probably has something to do with loading screens on MP, etc.. Diablo already has a surprisingly big save size, I believe more than twice of that what BL2 is allowed!
d(^_^)

So, Blizz had to rehash the engine or programming code to give out more hero slots. Probably a bit of work, and might cause bugs and whatever. Personally, I think there are enough slots. You can build an SC char for every class and still have room for HCs, so what more do you want?
(^_^)
Reply Quote
04/20/2014 02:51 AMPosted by MooseJuice
Need spares for HC and mules or if u want to run with some one that is new and want to be on the same level.

Exactly
Reply Quote
umm for ps3 just make another profile, and Boom more space for heros, and just give them gold to buy the slots they need for the stash, and with the ps3 you can bring in heros from other profiles into your game. so why remove the cap when you can do just this? i have done this for my friends when they would come over to play we both started profiles so we would be even, and i dont play that one unless they are here.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I'll try to find out why the console version of Diablo III has a limited number of characters, and pass along your feedback while I'm at it. It's a good question, and thanks for asking!
Reply Quote
The only reason I can think of is the 360 TCR about save game sizes.

No save game can be bigger than 52mb, as it has to fit on to an external memory card. (Thanks for the no HDD SKU MS) Having said that I don't think D3 saves are bigger than that. I'd hazard a guess that it was simply a roll over from the PC version.
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Priest
04/21/2014 05:09 PMPosted by Zombie

No save game can be bigger than 52mb, as it has to fit on to an external memory card. (Thanks for the no HDD SKU MS) Having said that I don't think D3 saves are bigger than that. I'd hazard a guess that it was simply a roll over from the PC version.

The save file for Diablo 3 on the 360 with 10 characters is under 300 KB I believe when I looked last...less than 1 MB. There is no reason what so ever to limit the number of characters on console.
Reply Quote
Ok, but how much space are those characters using on Blizzard's servers? Even if it's only another 300KB, not having limits on things is a great way to open yourself up to automated DDOS attacks. Imagine a bot that just keeps creating characters all day :)
Reply Quote
04/21/2014 04:53 PMPosted by Grimiku
I'll try to find out why the console version of Diablo III has a limited number of characters, and pass along your feedback while I'm at it. It's a good question, and thanks for asking!

Thanks Grimiku, it's greatly appreciated! Having those extra slots for HC events, joining new friends both on the internet and on the couch, and maybe even some back-up characters for when a HC dies. Not to mention shooting for all those achievements in game that involves leveling up two of each class and then some.

04/22/2014 04:56 AMPosted by Rowan
Ok, but how much space are those characters using on Blizzard's servers? Even if it's only another 300KB, not having limits on things is a great way to open yourself up to automated DDOS attacks. Imagine a bot that just keeps creating characters all day :)

I'm almost sure you found your way to this post via a blue tracker or something of that sort.

Please pay attention to what forum sections the posts are under and what topic they are related to prior to replying. It'll make much more sense and save yourself some time, trust me. :D
Reply Quote
If you're still looking at this, even if it's not possible to increase character slots for PS3, try to pass along the feedback to try and make it available on the PS4. Lift or increase the restrictions since it's a locally saved file because of all the friends, family, and new online friends that like to local co-op or play online making new characters with.
Reply Quote
04/21/2014 06:21 PMPosted by Veletrys
04/21/2014 05:09 PMPosted by Zombie

The save file for Diablo 3 on the 360 with 10 characters is under 300 KB I believe when I looked last...less than 1 MB. There is no reason what so ever to limit the number of characters on console.

Exactly. Lifting that limit would be extremely pleasing. I like to play HC events and challenges as well as creating new characters with friends both in person for couch co-op as well as online friends. Run out of space way too fast.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]