Diablo® III

Please remove cost of unsocketing gems ASAP

What purpose does this gold cost serve?

From my perspective I've already blown all my gold and it takes me a long time to save up enough to upgrade my gems. Now the new loot system sometimes gives me tough gearing decisions. The only way I know how to evaluate the choices is to swap back and forth between those weapons (the main example) and see how things play out.

Currently it's costing me at least 1 million gold to swap a gem into a new weapon for a trial and back again. This serves no purpose to the game.. Just remove the cost please, thanks.
Reply Quote
500k to remove a gem is madness, however much gold you have.
Reply Quote
View profile
Try 5 million for a marquise gem, back in the bad old days...
Reply Quote
have to pay the gerbils to keep the server running
Reply Quote
I nvr even made a marquise gem back in the old days due to the unsocketing cost.
Reply Quote
What annoys me the most about the cost is that blizzard wants us to try new skills with items like the serpents wand I found on my wizard... And yet charges me 1 million to change to that weapon to use hydras for a run or two before switching back?
Reply Quote
Just let me compare my items with/without socket.
Reply Quote
just salvage the item, you get the gem back for free!
Reply Quote
I would rather have insane gold sinks than endless gold being useless in my stash.
Reply Quote
Because we need gold sinks in a game where all gold is BOA!

Honeslty the removal cost is the only problem I have with gold sinks.

Sure gem cost is a problem when those gems are also needed for re-rolling, and re-rolling has its own cost, but re-rolling shouldn't be an instant GG item, so I can make sense of the millions of gold needed to craft gems and re-roll gear.

However, the millions needed to unsocket gems is ridiculous. It serves no purpose, might as well add a 500k gold cost to socket gems also.
Reply Quote
04/22/2014 11:38 AMPosted by HBEEZY
just salvage the item, you get the gem back for free!

Does not help if you are deciding between two items that have affixes not taken into account for the damage calc. The serpent wand is a good example. If I am running a sword with lighning damage for my build and the serpent wand drops with slightly less damage, but allows for the extra Hydra, I may want to remove the green from my sword and try out the hydra build for a bit. I have to spend to get the green out of my sword and into the wand and then again to get it back into my sword if the wand does not work out. I have over a Billion in gold from Vanilla saved up, so it does not matter at all to me. However, I can see how someone new to the game could get killed by all these sinks made to whittle my, and others from vanilla, stash down.
Reply Quote
The original intent was to discourage sharing gems between alts. Like making one really goo +exp gem and then unsocket and share it whenever you switched to an alt.

Not that I agree with the reason, but that was what they claimed way back when.
Reply Quote
There is a cost, just be happy you can remove them. Back in the early D3 days it was more expensive and back when we played D2, there was no option to remove.
Reply Quote
Another option here would be to have rising costs to remove gems the same as enchanting.
Reply Quote
04/22/2014 11:55 AMPosted by HeavyDuty
There is a cost, just be happy you can remove them. Back in the early D3 days it was more expensive and back when we played D2, there was no option to remove.

People were swimming in gold in the old system however. Some people still are but others like me are finding golf farming quite a chore...
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Hey, everyone!

I have some information to share with you about an upcoming change we’re planning to make. We intend to reduce the gold cost to unsocket top tier gems in a future patch. The goal of this change is to help balance unsocketing costs with other resource sinks and make the act of unsocketing a top tier gem feel less punitive. These value below are not final and of course subject to change, but here’s what we’re currently looking at:

• Flawless Imperial from 150k to 125k
• Royal from 250k to 150k
• Flawless Royal from 500k to 175k

We don’t have a time frame to share on when to expect these changes right now, but it is in the works. We’ll be sure to share additional news as soon as we can, and we hope this heads up helps!
Reply Quote
04/25/2014 05:42 PMPosted by Grimiku
Hey, everyone!

I have some information to share with you about an upcoming change we’re planning to make. We intend to reduce the gold cost to unsocket top tier gems in a future patch. The goal of this change is to help balance unsocketing costs with other resource sinks and make the act of unsocketing a top tier gem feel less punitive. These value below are not final and of course subject to change, but here’s what we’re currently looking at:

We don’t have a time frame to share on when to expect these changes right now, but it is in the works. We’ll be sure to share additional news as soon as we can, and we hope this heads up helps!

Excellent! Thank you!
Reply Quote
A decent change wtf?
Reply Quote
The cost is still too much.

• Flawless Imperial from 150k to 50k
• Royal from 250k to 75k
• Flawless Royal from 500k to 100k

This is more like it.
Reply Quote
04/25/2014 05:42 PMPosted by Grimiku
Hey, everyone!

So "We don't have a time frame to share on when to expect these changes right now, but it is in the works" ....... how hard can it possibly be to make those changes? Well anyways thanks for letting us know......
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]