Diablo® III

Making HotA feel more "fluid"

I recently switched to fire HotA and I have some questions/problems.

1) I don't know what I'm doing wrong or if it's normal, but generating fury is a problem. I switched the Battle Rage rune to globes on crit and crafted some decent Reaper's Wraps, so it is more or less fine once the fighting has started and the monsters keep coming, but once I drop to 0 fury and there are no more globes, it seems to be impossible to recover and start dealing damage again. As a result, it feels awfully inconsistent and not "fluid".

2) Without WotB I crit for 11-13m, which feels really low. My gear is not the best, but even T1 sometimes feels really slow (point 1 may be a reason for that). I know I still need Magefist/Andi/SoJ/Sets, but do I really need all BiS items to do T1+? I can do T3 with my SoH+TF+Frenzy easily and way faster, even though I don't have good lightning gear (only ~35% lightning).

3) (not entirely related to HotA, but still..) Is it even possible to craft a good Devastator? I crafted 22 so far and the one I have is the best I could get. In addition, I was unable to craft even one with a socket. Would be nice to know if further farming is pointless.

I was thinking of switching Avalanche with a fury generator like War Cry or Ground Stomp. That might help with problem #1, but I don't know if it's really worth it. On the one hand, Avalanche deals decent damage and can be cast quite often, on the other hand, a generator might increase "fluidity" a lot and improve the "feeling".

Any advice? :)
Reply Quote
View profile
Well for me i stuck with HOTA so everything revolves around that. Fury gen, Skill damage boosters and elemental damage boosters.

Passives: Unforgiving. Keep the fury from dropping when you are running between mobs. Animosity helps as well.

Skills: War Cry - Charge is really helpful. Or Threatening shout with the health globe rune. You get fury, some cc and chance to get health globes :)

Which will allow you to go back to using bloodshed with battle rage. Try cleave reaping swing as well instead of frenzy.

Gear:
Boots: Get HOTA bonus there instead of AR. Solid boots i wish i had one :D
Weps: MH is ok. OH can you reroll the fire damage?
Pants: Drop a diamond instead of ruby if you feel the pain from losing AR from boots
Rings: ok for now. but a soj would really help
Belt: good
Gloves: good
Bracers: good
chest: good
Shoulders: wish it had healing globe bonus in secondary and area damage/cooldown in primary
Helm: missing HOTA bonus there as well
Ammy: whoa!!! gimme :D
Reply Quote
You should be able to destroy T1-T2 with your gear and even T3 can´t be that inefficient.

239 paragon means 59 per category:
core: 26 into movement speed, 33 into max fury
offense: cooldown reduction and crit chance/damage
defense: regen and all resistance
utility: area damage and life per hit

Put a diamond inside your helm. Use Animosity, Unforgiving, Superstition, War Cry Charge! and Templar´s Inspire and regen. Remember that Reaper´s Wraps scale with max fury and Animosity gives you 20 and also boosts the actual gain from the globe. WotB is kind of a waste in lower torment if you don´t use Boon and cooldown reduction.

The real magic comes when you pick Ground Stomp Wrenching Smash and use it to your advantage. Position yourself to gather as many monsters as you can, pull them in, drop the Volcano underneath them and 1-3 Bloodshed Area Damage Smashes should do the job, 5-10 against elites depending on difficulty. By the time you´re at low fury, minions are down so you pick up a few globes to finish off the rare elite. Champions should go down very fast.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Nubtro-2147/hero/840269
Smash-Marathon-Charge!-Volcano-Wrenching Smash-Bloodshed
Animosity-Unforgiving-Superstition-Brawler/Ruthless

Wrenching Smash benefits:
> maximizing Smash damage
> reducing number of inefficient HotA swings
> maximizing Bloodshed and Area Damage
> maximizing Volcano damage
> Brawler activation and upkeep
> tactical positioning
> crowd control (especially eleminating runners)
> easy health globe access (proximity)

I circle this sequence on T4 currently without Bloodthirst (I do have 498 fury heal from IK3 set and mighty belt though). I wouldn´t consider fury heal below T4, the combination of paragon regen, life per hit, laek on weapon(s), templar and health globes should be more than enough.

It´s a very satisfying gameplay experience for me right now. Against bounty bosses you can quickly swap in Maniac if you really want, many rift guardiands are elemental so I just stay there and even auto-swing when out of fury. It deals 100% wepaon damage and generates 3 fury per hit, so it´s not the end of the world.
Edited by Nubtro#2147 on 4/22/2014 6:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
I've found a spec that works for me.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WZUXfR!edZh!cZcYbc

Step 1 - Swap Rampage for Unforgiving. You need fury to fuel DPS not bigger sheet numbers.

Grim Harvest works well with Reaper's especially in large fights for the globes and the 15 fury it generates itself. I do have a pair of Lut Socks which gives me 45 fury per triple leap which I have to say does help immensely. You could try furious charge/stamina instead.

Lastly I'd suggest a couple other things:

- Dropping Weapons Master for Ruthless or Animosity. The extra CC isn't great when you're at 45% CC + (which I am assuming you are in game). The fury or extra DPS on low elites/bosses is far better.

- Drop WoTB. Even with Max CDR it's not efficient and you shouldn't need it.
Edited by KevinTSmith#1394 on 4/22/2014 6:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
@Nubtro: Thanks for the tips :)
Reply Quote
Because you find so many channeling/CDR shrine/healing well, you need a long CD skill.
And even without, with 26% cdr (shoulder + helm + para) + boon of bul kathos, it's only a 66 CD for a 20sec buff. Almost 1/3 uptime.
With wotb, elites are garbage.
Reply Quote
View profile
04/22/2014 06:42 AMPosted by Aldween
Because you find so many channeling/CDR shrine/healing well, you need a long CD skill.
And even without, with 26% cdr (shoulder + helm + para) + boon of bul kathos, it's only a 66 CD for a 20sec buff. Almost 1/3 uptime.

Honestly most elites are garbage anyways. I don't think you need a long term CD at all...why waste a passive and active skill slot for something that is only up 1/3 of the time? Especially in rifts where it's often times elites every 20-30 seconds. I would venture to say a significant if not the majority of players are running w/o WoTB these days unless they are using EQ as well to maximize Boon w/ or w/o MoTA.
Edited by KevinTSmith#1394 on 4/22/2014 7:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If elites are too easy, then you need to do a higher torment.
Now tell me a good skill that boost your dps. We don't have many. Brage, overpower and wotb.
Reply Quote
04/22/2014 06:42 AMPosted by Aldween

I kill T1-2 elites in like 3 seconds, T3 in 5-6 and T4 in around 10. I have Ice Climbers and 65.8% CC reduction so except for knockback or fear I don´t have to move an inch and engage packs with a 4 second stun. By the time they recover, most stuff is done and main guy is more than half-way through to Malthael.

That´s why "need" a long cooldown skill is relative. Also, you face elite packs more frequently than that on lower difficulty and 2/9 of your skills feel like a waste then, especially when you struggle with resource fluidity.

But you are right, WotB with Boon+paragon+diamond+1-2 gear pieces is very solid and truly viable, I´ve used it quite a lot during beta, but so far in RoS I only used the skill in Malthael runs.

Let´s just be happy that we have more than 1 way of playing the game at the moment :)
04/22/2014 07:11 AMPosted by Aldween
If elites are too easy, then you need to do a higher torment.
Now tell me a good skill that boost your dps. We don't have many. Brage, overpower and wotb.

I feel T5-6 is mainly about sustain, not damage. I can actually do T6 if I run War Cry + Shout + Bloodthirst but I struggle with resources so it´s a bit clunky/inefficient until I get one of the full set bonuses, ideally IK (helm) for my spec.
Edited by Nubtro#2147 on 4/22/2014 7:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm running a health globe build to maximize the reaper's wraps.
Using a fire build, i got my HOTA to cost only 9 fury per swing.

Its still a work in progress, but so far it is looking like it works fine. A fury generator like frenzy, is not needed either. Once i gain some fury from charge, i'm good to go for a while, holding down right click and massacring monsters in my way

I tested / played with it on T4 last night and it worked good. Pretty tanky and fury was never an issue.
Reply Quote
View profile
Nubtro put what I was trying to say much better than I did:

I can kill T4 elites without many issues typically in 10 seconds or less unless it's an extra health high HP mob. Turning up the Torment isn't an option because I can't do T5 or T6 efficiently right now. It's not that I don't do enough damage or get CC'ed it's that I can't stay alive long enough because I don't have enough fury to maintain though all the damage. I can do 5 it's just not worth it...4 is way faster/smoother.

If I had IK or MoTA that would be a different story. Not sure Raekor's is good enough needing the extra gear slot and I always found charge clunky.
Edited by KevinTSmith#1394 on 4/22/2014 7:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
On lower torment, I always bring wotb because of the speed bonus and even if I gain 1 or 2 seconds per pack, it's a gain of time. For speedrun, it's all about speed, right?

And for t6, the faster you kill mobs, the less damage you take. But you are right, everyone plays as they want.
Just saying my opinion and with healing/well shrine, I can be under wotb buff for 40sec or more.
Reply Quote
View profile
04/22/2014 07:22 AMPosted by Professor
I tested / played with it on T4 last night and it worked good. Pretty tanky and fury was never an issue.

That build looks like it would work well when there are things to charge but what about solo bosses/rift guardians/packs? You're going to be swinging with standard attacks.
Reply Quote
04/22/2014 07:27 AMPosted by KevinTSmith
04/22/2014 07:22 AMPosted by Professor

That build looks like it would work well when there are things to charge but what about solo bosses/rift guardians/packs? You're going to be swinging with standard attacks.

good question

From playing it, i felt like i didn't use standard attacks at all.

So lets add this up on the fly here and see how this lays out...
Charge Stamina = 25 fury per monster + movement, every 10 seconds
War Cry = 20 fury every 20 seconds
Threat Shout = 10 fury every 10 seconds
Unforgiving = 2 fury a second
Health Globe = 32 fury
Superstition = 2 fury when taking elemental damage.

My fury pool is 124
Hota is my fury spender at 9 per swing.
Critical hits proc health globes from 2 skills, therefore there is usually a few floating around as reserves, you can walk to (close by) or charge to, not only are you getting fury from charge, but also from the health globe. Lets say its against a rift guardian.
Your on one side hota'ing away, running a bit low on fury, a globe spawns opposite side, just charge through, snag the health globe. Charge was 25 fury and the globe is another 32, plus 2 from unforgiving from the 1 second charge. That's 59 fury, good for another 7+ swings.

Due to all the "fury" gaining skills and only 1 spender, i didn't find my self using normal attack at all.
Edited by Professor#1152 on 4/22/2014 7:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Dat legacy SoJ doing work for you. Do you feel that the RCR from your legacy SoJ outweigh the bonus swings you're getting versus a 2.0 one? You're missing out on 20% fire damage, 500 STR, and either 6% CC or 50% CHD.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm glad it does for you. It just seems kind of clunky because you're contantly chasing globes. I chase globes too for fury sometimes but I'm able to kill most things w/o having to do that. I do have a few thoughts on that build though:

I know RCR is nice but at 9 fury per HoTA why bother with bloodthirst? You're getting 50% of the effect. Based on your spec you're relying on mobility and health globes for your sustainability. In doing so you're missing out on Battlerage/Bloodshed (huge AoE DPS boost for HoTA) and you're forced to use Warcry/Invigorate instead of Charge or subbing it completely for sprint. Also without any CDR WoTB is definitely not efficient. You can argue it is with massive (30%+) CDR but with not it plain isn't.

I could be completely wrong but I feel like you're missing out on a lot of DPS over compensating with health globes and that legacy SOJ. I think 12-15 fury per HoTA might be the happy medium for Bloodthirst, fury management, and DPS.
Edited by KevinTSmith#1394 on 4/22/2014 10:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Granted this hero is only about 8 hours old in ROS and is still in progress.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aZRSfl!YWdZ!bccZbZ
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/RoyalHighnss-1652/hero/18144746

I like threatening shout grim harvest in addition to the HOTA birthright globe rune plus reapers wraps. There are always globes on the ground I always have 3 stack of neph glory.

Bash for some extra base dps
Fury charge for fury gen and versatility

Hota dump from max fury of 202 allows for Avalanche > Hota fury dump > Avalanche (about 8 second cooldown).

Most of the time I do not have to take my finger off Hota because so many globes are flying around.
Reply Quote
View profile
@Royalhighness

That works but by not stacking any elemental damge you're missing out on TONS of DPS. Sometimes birth right makes sense in groups when you're trying to play support but I don't see it working effectively solo. I would focus on picking an element for now and getting your DPS up.
Edited by KevinTSmith#1394 on 4/22/2014 10:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
My skills are all physical which i only had 20% physical dps on my reapers I chose the CC ;D

Still a work in progress. I am aware I am up 120k dps from yesterday so still workin on it. It all cant drop at once unfortunately.

Solo is nice I don't have to chase globes I just refill when I am done smashing Epacks I have a big enough radius that i don't have to move much.

Most of the people I group with wear reaper wraps as well so, to be that roll of a glober. The games speed up drastically.
Edited by RoyalHighnss#1652 on 4/22/2014 10:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]