Diablo® III

I'm falling sleep while doing rifts

I have farmed a lot of rifts and i see quite a few of the same areas over and over. The Blood Marsh, Briarthorn Cemetary, and Pandemonium seem to make up close to 75% of every rift i run. Need to see more diversified map tiles. Make rifts longer, all i normally see is a rift with if i'm lucky 3 levels max. I have yet to see one go beyond 5 levels but read somewhere then can be uo to 10 levels deep. Also multiple bosses in rifts would be nice. I would LOVE to see a 10 level rift with 3-4 bosses with the last boss being tough as can be and a major loot pinata and not just a yellow and gem chest. Add rare mobs to the rift for crafting mat chances. And PLEASE make the cow level a little bit more frequent. I cannot get the rift boss achieve due to it never spawning for me and i'm around 150 rifts already. Increasing white mob leg drop chance would also be a welcome addition too since we need to kill tons of them to even get a boss to spawn. Make them worth killing instead of just exp fodder.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Edit: While i do enjoy the "dark" atmosphere of rifts sometimes, I do not like it so dark that i can not see if i'm not playing in a pitch black room. Sometimes its really hard to see even with my monitors backlight up pretty high.
Oh and one other suggestion. Hidden areas. Break a wall and find an area not on the map that holds some rare mobs with a much higher Leg drop rate or a room full of resplendent chests. I love the things you have to search out and find. Makes it really fun for those of us that love to break all vases, explore every room, etc...
Edited by Draegon#1340 on 4/21/2014 6:20 PM PDT
Just take a page from PoE and add different modifiers to maps/rifts. Random dungeons and random enemies isn't enough to make it fun. It NEEDS to be challenging.

-Monsters do more damage
-50% more loot drops
-Spend life instead of mana
-All monsters have Arcane sentry/illusionist
-50% increase chance of legendary
-Ground has patches of fire
-etc...
04/21/2014 04:06 PMPosted by Grimiku
I have some questions about this if you guys want to talk about it a little more. I've seen some feedback in other threads about Nephalem Rifts making players “sleepy” (or not exciting enough), but I'd like to focus on that topic a bit more with you. Before I do, though, I'd like to point out that there is some feedback about monster density in Rifts that we're definitely aware of. So, density aside, what are some things that would make Rifts more exciting to you?

Please feel free to free-form your answer. If you’re not sure where to begin, though, I’ve provided some questions below.

• Does the atmosphere in a Rift influence how exciting or not exciting it feels? If yes, what Rift environments feel exciting to you? And which ones don’t?
  • Do certain monster groups feel more or less engaging?
  • Are there any mechanics from other parts of the game that you feel would make Rifts feel more exciting? If yes, what are those mechanics?
  • What's the most noticeable difference between a “boring” Rift and an “exciting” Rift for you?

I want to point out that because they are fully randomized there will be some Rifts that are more exciting than others, but we definitely want them to feel engaging and rewarding. We'd love to hear what you think would improve them in that way.

After playing daily 5-10 hours since the release I'd like to leave some feedback

• I like the changing atmosphere, but sometimes it's too dark. More different weather effects would be cool. Maybe changing atmosphere as you progress in the rift.
  • Ghosts are really annoying. Especially as a barb most kinds of "ranged" elite can be a real pain in the !@#. Splitting up and then you have to run after them one by one. Sometimes i am done in 10minutes another time i need 20-30 minutes for a rift. A good mix of Melee and ranged would be acceptable. Maybe a fix ratio of 60% melee and 40% ranged and not a 90% ranged elite rift.
  • Rifts definitely need Events. Cursed chests/shrines. optional dungeons with events. hidden events. Maybe even a whole rift stage as some kind of event. Kill 150 mobs in 3mins at rift stage3 and receive double blood shards at the end or a magic find buff right after completing the event?
  • The most noticeable difference between a boring and a good rift is the mob density and especially the amount of Elite.

• But the problem with rifts is they are boring no mater which kind of rift you get right now. Most players don't see it right now because they are only playing a few hours daily, or prefer not to see because they are just in love with d3 or in some kind of trance.

• Different kind of rifts and not just the go in, kill 500 mobs, kill the boss and go out again rifts. Doing the same thing over and over again gets annoying. A complete time based rift. A rift where you are defending something and waves of mobs come. A rift with 2 bosses at the end. A rift with a boss after 250kills and a second boss after another 250kills. A rift where you need to replay a story part of diablo 2. A rift where you need to collect 4 items to summon the end-boss. Do i need to continue? Because i can and i am wondering myself why blizz didn't come up with different kinds of rifts.

• The truth is, i expected much more from blizzard. This add on got a few nice changes but overall the lack of innovation is disappointing, blizz did much better in the past by being the vanguard of innovation, examples Diablo, Starcraft,Warcraft, WoW. But the new kind of games? Diablo 3, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm. They aren't really exciting anymore and feel more like cheap ripoffs for the fast money without investing too much. Give me few hours and i can give you a whole list of possible improvements for diablo 3.
    its pretty clear on the forums no body cares about anything other than LOOT AND LAG

PRIORITIES....loot system is broken stupid and makes me want to go to sleep.....not rifts....yay another two hander should i stay up another 30 minutes to see if i get another?

"Loot runs" i go multiple rifts without legendaries so i pick up nothing because there is zero use for veiled crystals and deaths breaths blues gems when i dont get any upgrades to put them to use on.

and when the FUN rifts happens which is just champ pack after champ pack or LOTS of normal mobs and in most cases the fun champ pack rifts lag like hell for everyone i know.

nothing beats running through a rift of imps running away at the sight of u while u look for the next level praying u dont have to come back to that !@#$ whole level just to spawn the rift guardian.
    Edited by carini#1721 on 4/22/2014 12:32 AM PDT
    Scale the loot with torment levels. The higher the torment level, the better the chance to get a class set item or one of the 'good' legs like Thunderfury. That will encourage people to farm higher torments even if it is inefficient.
    I don't particularly like certain "dark" rifts. The lighting differences are cool, sometimes. Other times I feel like I'm straining to see my screen and my eyes feel fatigued.

Also, the amount of bloodshards that rift bosses drop should scale with torment level.

I'd also like to see Rifts continue on for longer. Perhaps a time limit. Perhaps 10 minutes. The more mobs you kill the stronger the rift boss becomes, or maybe the more rift bosses spawn at the 10 minute timer.

Kill a ton of whites and elites in 10 minutes, get two rift bosses for your work.
    Edited by Jhaman#1879 on 4/21/2014 6:13 PM PDT
    I had one experience when I took a wrong turn in level 2, when I found portal to level 3 I hop in hoping lvl 3 is more exiting, but the rift ended at level 4 and still no guardian. I have to backtrace the whole empty 2 level to summon the guardian. What was he guarding anyway. Maybe I should've leave the game and create a new one.
    04/21/2014 06:10 PMPosted by Adi
    I have some questions about this if you guys want to talk about it a little more. I've seen some feedback in other threads about Nephalem Rifts making players “sleepy” (or not exciting enough), but I'd like to focus on that topic a bit more with you. Before I do, though, I'd like to point out that there is some feedback about monster density in Rifts that we're definitely aware of. So, density aside, what are some things that would make Rifts more exciting to you?

Please feel free to free-form your answer. If you’re not sure where to begin, though, I’ve provided some questions below.

Does the atmosphere in a Rift influence how exciting or not exciting it feels? If yes, what Rift environments feel exciting to you? And which ones don’t?
    Do certain monster groups feel more or less engaging?
    Are there any mechanics from other parts of the game that you feel would make Rifts feel more exciting? If yes, what are those mechanics?
    What's the most noticeable difference between a “boring” Rift and an “exciting” Rift for you?

I want to point out that because they are fully randomized there will be some Rifts that are more exciting than others, but we definitely want them to feel engaging and rewarding. We'd love to hear what you think would improve them in that way.

Even though I get 10x less legs I don't do rifts because I'm by no means a WoW grinder (I do ubers instead).
    04/21/2014 05:58 PMPosted by SnowyOwl
    Lastly It would be very cool if you could really intensify the bonuses you receive from playing with other players. So many people out there (including myself a lot of times) prefer to play solo due to the fact that it is far more efficient than playing with a group. People should NEVER be deterred from playing in a group in this game. It's the backbone of any multiplayer game. Imagine WoW deterred players from raiding together? Unimaginable.

I have to disagree. Increasing bonuses for group play implicitly penalizes those who prefer solo. Given the attitudes displayed by most of the community on the forums and in chat, I don't want to be forced in to playing with most of them.
    Boss battles similar to that of infernal machines would make things interesting. Different affiixes then any other of those found from elite packs may change the games pace a bit. What would be great if such battles are "legendary moments" such as those lvls with ponies and unicorns; with, at the end, a favorable item drop. Maybe a set item as animal has suggested. At this moment, the state of the game I feel are these set items.

From what I have read in other blue posts, the game becomes aware of the time a player has played or if other player in the same party have receive a leg or not, this in turn, increases the chances if the player will also receive a leg drop. The problem is the drop is still a random drop that may or may not be influential to a player's build that they are already comfortable with. For instance fire abilities is associated with the highest amount of damage output, which results in most players looking for items with similar affixes to increase fire abilities. If that is the case, items for other affixes such as lightning, or phyisical, must be just as high or even more as to meet the similar damage output from fire damage spells (consider DHs and how everyone is using loaded for bear on their CA rather than, for say CA dazzling arrows). IF you want people to change their load out for different spells, you can't just make items that are specific to one type damage (cindercoat and magefist) but also item combinations that may increase the the damage output and availability of other types of damage; again like lightning or phyisical.

There needs to be a way that the game know what items that the player wants, not just by those that the player equips, but also what they vendor or demolishes. Leg that are demolished needs to be taken into account as to realize that hey, that item he just vendored was either really crappy, or have nothing to do with the character he has, and hey maybe the next leg has a better opportunity to be something different or have better affixes. This way people stop getting the same stupid items like blackthornes, cluckeyes, litany, or wedding bands.

For a game that requires hours to play to find better loot, the problem is finding that better loot to see progress in the player's character. If that progress becomes stagnant or results in digression, the game becomes boring. Yo blizz email me for other suggestions lol.
    Edited by aem#1571 on 4/21/2014 6:15 PM PDT
    Let me tell you what excitement and enjoyment means for me, personally.

1.More Frequent Goblin Packs.

I finally found my first goblin pack with my brother just an hour ago. It was such a rare event that he woke me up from my sleep just so we could clear it together (I'm usually groggy in the morning but I didn't mind at all lol).It was probably around 10 gobs all clumped up in 1 circle. EPIC. I was able to use my blackhole to perfection and I never felt greater about that skill. Both my bros got 2 legendaries each from this, I didn't get any but it was still fun to see the loot explosion, even for just a while in the rift.

I have done probably 200-300 rifts and I have only seen the goblin pack ONCE. Considering the fact that we clear rifts before starting a new one whilst exploring each and every nook and cranny, the rate of that event just seems absurd. I'm not saying I should see a goblin pack in every runs 10 or so, no, the main point and fun of it was it was something new in the rifts. Something that breaks routine... and something truly random, so why not add some random quests or something as epic as 50 goblins?

2. Deeper Dungeon Rifts

For deep dungeon rifts, this would have lower mob density than open area rifts (1-3 levels of just pure open space like A2 worlds). But to compensate these levels would descend down to level 10-20 with a chance of 1 of three main events: 3 rift bosses at once, goblin pack with the goblin king (he must explode for 10x the amount of reg gobs - he must), or a room with 5-10 resplendent chests with chances of each becoming a cursed chest (after which King Leoric appears, laughs @ you, and spawns 100 skeletons per chest).

3. Open Area Rifts

It should be a really big map with tons of enemies. Nothing too fancy here, it's just that it is an endless wave and perhaps with more interaction between the act mobs (a1 mobs spawn with a5 mobs etc.) Sprinkle a dash of events here and there. Oh I know, Chance of spawning all the pylons in an altar. It could be an oasis in the desert of endless carnage. You can even call it... Kulle's Altar.
    Edited by FruitVendor#2561 on 4/21/2014 6:16 PM PDT
    Does the atmosphere in a Rift influence how exciting or not exciting it feels? If yes, what Rift environments feel exciting to you? And which ones don’t?

I feel that the atmosphere does influence how exciting Rifts can be but it's a very minor and aesthetic level of influence. You can make the environment look as cool as can be but that won't affect how exciting it is to actually kill monsters, collect loot and interact with a party. I could tell you which environments I personally enjoy, but again I feel it is mostly irrelevant to the broader issue here.

The issue being that there is a serious core gameplay philosophy misconception between Blizzard and its community. Blizzard thinks that the most valuable aspect of D3 is the pve, killing monsters and finding loot. While I can respect that to a degree, i love killing monsters/looting myself, I feel the most valuable D3 experience is interacting with the community.

Every elite pack is engaging, in fact, i'd prefer more elite packs because frankly...trash mobs are garbage and rarely ever drop anything. I get more loot from barrels and loose stones than I do from them. As far as non elite monster groups, they are fine how they are...but again they rarely drop anything so who cares?

Are there any mechanics from other parts of the game that you feel would make Rifts feel more exciting? If yes, what are those mechanics?

Why not add events within rifts? Or side dungeons? Currently it's burn your way through to the next rift level, there's hardly any incentive for exploring the entire map. Some groups do, others don't and there's really no significant differences from choosing either...when there definitely should be more incentive to exploring every part of every rift level.

What's the most noticeable difference between a “boring” Rift and an “exciting” Rift for you?

For me, it's the players in the party. When everyone's communicating, linking loot, trading the legs they don't need for other random legs and whatever else...it's fun. When the party is anti-social and we just grind mindlessly...it's boring.

Do something about interacting with players before worrying about other rift mechanics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As it stands, Blizzard is too focused on making the game itself better and not focused enough on giving us more ways to interact with other players. Develop Clans and Communities more, give us better customization of the social tab/friends list, reconsider your opinions about pvp ffs and generally give more quality to player interactions.

Clans/Communities

~ Give some incentives for joining a clan or community, bonus exp/mf/gold/whatever for partying with members (more-so for running full clan or community parties). Consider the wow treatment for clans and communities, give it leveling, perks, etc.

~ Give the Community CHAT channel its own / command. Make it more apparent that members can join the channel (maybe by default players are entered into the channel, they can manually exit it if they want and rejoin later).

~ Improve Clan and Community functionality! Make the message of the day show the entire post and not cut it off. be a little more lenient with the maximum number of characters allowed in clan/community info, details, posts, message of the day, etc.

~ Was also thinking it would be great if clans and communities could have their own icons, logos or something to allow for unique customization.

Social Tab/Friends List

Give players the ability to add custom categories. Sometimes I add people in game but don't want the grouped with my other good friends. Allow me to appear offline.

PvP

It sickens me that PvP is not a priority for this game. No matter how much you try and rationalize that PvP isn't good for D3, you are dead wrong. You're limiting players to PvE only when more than half of your community either are hardcore PvPers or generally like both PvP and PvE. As of now, you're catering all your efforts to about 1/3rd of the community who would rather ONLY have PvE...sorry for my language but that's complete bull!@#$.

General QOL for Player Interactions

~ List when party members loot a legendary item, similar to how it is displayed in clan chat once it's ID'd. This way players aren't rifting/grinding for hours not really knowing what their party members are even looting. Some people simply don't communicate what they are looting, and this seriously diminishes the amount of trading that goes on in parties. Which also players a role in how there's no need to communicate with party members to play this game...that should not happen. Having it auto listed would give people more of a reason to communicate, trade and admire what's being dropped in their games.

~ Remove BOA from Blacksmithing at least. What good is crafting if we can't share? You're only limiting the player base from playing together for %^-*s sake..
    density is so boring in most rifts. more density means more fun. i dont enjoy taking quiet strolls through the bowels of hell and rarely encounter monsters. add more environmental effects so that when u are sitting idle in a rift or not encountering monsters you don feel 100% safe. the blood puddles from the azmodan boss would be something cool to add in rifts or huge avalanches falling down on you when u stand still.
    • Does the atmosphere in a Rift influence how exciting or not exciting it feels? If yes, what Rift environments feel exciting to you? And which ones don’t?
    • Are there any mechanics from other parts of the game that you feel would make Rifts feel more exciting? If yes, what are those mechanics?
    • What's the most noticeable difference between a “boring” Rift and an “exciting” Rift for you?

1) Atmosphere which is similar to the standard lighting for each zone is boring. When the lighting is noticeably different I can tell I'm in a Rift and I like that.

2) Run-away mobs or hiding mobs are less enjoyable. But they should still be there so it doesn't get too monotonous.

3) Just tossing around an idea: Acquiring Followers, like the battlefront in Act 3.

4) I know you said not to talk about density, but that's really the difference between boring and exciting Rifts.

I enjoy the very dark, open areas. The "green fog" rift is good as well. Basically anything that would act as a Fog of War is awesome. I dislike corridor rifts very much. Battlefields of Eternity, Fields of Misery, Battlefields, etc make for great Rifts.

Medium to Large monsters are more awesome to fight. Small enemies such as Imps and Vermin or more boring. The Imp/Grotesque Rift is an example of a very bad Rift. Flying enemies such as Ghosts and Morlu are more annoying than grounded ones, but are good in small doses.

Since Rift Guardians drop the Greater Cache, allow the Guardians to also drop any item available from Bounty Caches (at the same drop rate). Also, Forgotten Souls should be a 100% drop; it feels anti-climactic when one doesn't.

If I am in combat more than I am not in combat. the Rift was good. Increasing Rift density should make the overall experience better.

BONUS!?!

The completion % should always be visible. Also, give it the same font and fill-in as the Achievement bars.
    Edited by Crim#1923 on 4/21/2014 6:20 PM PDT

The atmosphere in a rift does not exactly affects how one's feel. IMO, I would say that those players who would grind rifts, are just players who have thoroughly completed the games and just grinding legendaries/forgotten souls, in another word, they have seen whatever landscapes out there that D3 has to offer (unless blizzard goes out of the way to re-create a total brand new environment).

Of course, while this is not "atmosphere" but, in rift there should be minimal maze involved. Players like huge map, with high density of monster groups - in particular elite densities.

Like others have previously mentioned in other threads, it would be good if 'events' such as cursed chest / shrine can be added into rift. Plus, rift guardian need to be stronger/tougher (not just high hp, but they should be of similar diffculty to diablo/mathael - where players can actually lose) and be much more rewarding (at least drop gauranteed forgotten soul etc).

Most importantly, it boils down to making rift with higher monster densities. A more excting one can be one with lots of elites, while a less exciting can be those with lesser elites. BUT, the mob densities should remain high. There's no point running rifts if i see lesser monster groups than in campaign mode.
    Community Manager
    I've been reading all of this feedback, and I really appreciate everyone's responses. There's a lot of good information in here, a lot of trends, and people are doing a great job of staying on topic. Keep leaving these great posts!

-The atmosphere for me, doesn't very much effect the way that I approach rifts. Each one is different and nice looking. Atmosphere wise, I have no problems.

- Currently in some rifts, there is low density of monsters.While this is understandable in smaller rifts, it's inexcusable for others that are considerably larger. A little more consistency in this regard would be absolutely amazing.

-My biggest peeve with rift mechanics is that the grind for Blood Shards knowing Kadala's loot table as well as the default loot table is heavily weighted for certain times makes the incentive of grinding rifts very much like a chore rather than a movement towards progress. I have no desire for easy game play and I appreciate a challenge, but when you've spent a crazy amount of shards only to roll the same 2 items from Kadala over and over again, or you finally get legendaries to drop in a rift and they're constantly blackthorn's, it becomes a bit...boring, I'm afraid. A little weight for certain items would be appropriate and I would not mind such a thing being implemented, but as the loot table stands right now, the weight is so heavy for some items I feel like a lot of times I'm getting the same legendaries over and over again. This problem causes me to feel unmotivated to play some days.

Bonus: Legendaries without abilities are quickly being phased out of the meta we're achieving in the new RoS content. Having legendaries drop with no abilities, it's hard to distinguish the difference between them and a high powered rare. In these cases, the rares are almost preferred. It may be worth looking into to give some non-ability legendaries some abilities to compete with the new RoS meta legendaries. I think it would be a huge mistake to ignore this.

-An exciting rift for me usually includes very dense mobs that are challenging. I appreciate the difficulty of some Elites and Blue monsters, and having a lot of monsters around to kill makes me excited.

I hope this helps you.
    Edited by BananaShoes#1927 on 4/21/2014 6:27 PM PDT
    I get sleepy doing anything Diablo-related. Except finding upgrades, which I havn't managed to do since... I dunno... some time last week or the week before that, despite the fact that I literally only have ONE piece of gear that I intend to actually keep, and that's my Crusader's shield.

Furthermore, although I don't actually like doing rifts OR bounties, I'm forced to because, LOL, not like anything even actually realistically has a chance to drop outside of a rift. -_-

The fact that I ran into a "goblin pack" rift, killed every single goblin, ended up having to BACKTRACK THROUGH LEVELS to find things to kill in order to get the rift guardian to spawn because the density is !@#$ing terrible and then STILL nothing dropped is just aggrivating. And I don't mean "nothing" as in something crappy or a plan dropped. Literally NOTHING except a bunch of really bad rares dropped. Even if I had found something crappy at least I'd have a soul to show for my efforts, but nah, I guess that would have been a bit too generous.
    Edited by BadTeddy#1303 on 4/21/2014 6:26 PM PDT
    This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]