Diablo® III

I'm falling sleep while doing rifts

04/21/2014 04:06 PMPosted by Grimiku
I have some questions about this if you guys want to talk about it a little more. I've seen some feedback in other threads about Nephalem Rifts making players “sleepy” (or not exciting enough), but I'd like to focus on that topic a bit more with you. Before I do, though, I'd like to point out that there is some feedback about monster density in Rifts that we're definitely aware of. So, density aside, what are some things that would make Rifts more exciting to you?

Please feel free to free-form your answer. If you’re not sure where to begin, though, I’ve provided some questions below.

• Does the atmosphere in a Rift influence how exciting or not exciting it feels? If yes, what Rift environments feel exciting to you? And which ones don’t?
  • Do certain monster groups feel more or less engaging?
  • Are there any mechanics from other parts of the game that you feel would make Rifts feel more exciting? If yes, what are those mechanics?
  • What's the most noticeable difference between a “boring” Rift and an “exciting” Rift for you?

I want to point out that because they are fully randomized there will be some Rifts that are more exciting than others, but we definitely want them to feel engaging and rewarding. We'd love to hear what you think would improve them in that way.

- Rifts should have a mini boss before every entrance to a new level that you have to kill in order to get to the next level. (Mini bosses should be able to drop crafting material)

- Rifts should have a chance to have Mini events like - Lead the caravan to the entrance of the next level and beat the mini boss (these random events should drop specific loot similar to a1/a2 bounty bags) ALSO, they must be fail-able, aka you should actually have to protect them :)

- Rifts NEED better density in many level types (like others have said)

- Rifts should have cursed chests/shrine events.

x - Not pertaining to only rifts; level 70 leg stat ranges should increase by 2% per difficulty increase in T1-T6. - making T6 items have 12% better stat ranges then T1 legs.
Community Manager
I'm going to extend the posting limit again since a lot of you are still providing great feedback. I've been reading what I can and when I can, but I'll admit I have a lot of reading to do still (which is awesome). Thanks for taking the time to respond, everyone!
Hello,

I think Rifts should have unique quests that give bonus rewards. There would not necessarily spawn one on every rift, it would be more like a special rift. For example :
- clear under x minutes
- explore every inch of the map
- Kill every monsters
- Kill a certain number of Elite packs
- Find a hidden item in breakable objects
- Complete the rift without using potions
- etc.

Examples of rewards could be:
- more bloodshards
- double drop rate on the boss
- bonus gold and experience
- some kind of buff lasting longer than a shrine (long enough to be useful in the next rift)
- imperial gems or better
- forgotten souls
- etc.

It would also be great if we could encounter any of the rare boss that exist in the World. That would add variety to the fight and it would give us a chance to get legendary mats without having to farm them by constantly resetting a game.

Cheers,
I have some questions about this if you guys want to talk about it a little more. I've seen some feedback in other threads about Nephalem Rifts making players “sleepy” (or not exciting enough), but I'd like to focus on that topic a bit more with you. Before I do, though, I'd like to point out that there is some feedback about monster density in Rifts that we're definitely aware of. So, density aside, what are some things that would make Rifts more exciting to you?

Please feel free to free-form your answer. If you’re not sure where to begin, though, I’ve provided some questions below.

• Does the atmosphere in a Rift influence how exciting or not exciting it feels? If yes, what Rift environments feel exciting to you? And which ones don’t?
  • Are there any mechanics from other parts of the game that you feel would make Rifts feel more exciting? If yes, what are those mechanics?
  • What's the most noticeable difference between a “boring” Rift and an “exciting” Rift for you?

I want to point out that because they are fully randomized there will be some Rifts that are more exciting than others, but we definitely want them to feel engaging and rewarding. We'd love to hear what you think would improve them in that way.

Hi.

Rift example 1.
Each level has one minor rift boss (like todays rift bosses) and the last level has the special rift boss (more like the act bosses).

Rift example 2.
Including special events and/or quests (not just complete 100% kills like today) and the special rift boss at the end (once again). Quests/events should be as rewarding as resplendent chest or goblins.

Rift example 3.
Special rifts as today with cows and Whimsyshire. Maybe one or a few more special rift only areas, not so common to keep the rare feeling, but together it feels more often because of more special areas (if no added special areas, make them a little bit more common, they are a bit funnier than normal rifts).

All rifts: Mob density. About three levels, so not too long rifts. Increased drop chance of white mobs (pathetic today) – applies to the whole game too. Otherwise I feel the droprates are ok, just that the legendaries suck too often because of too many random affixes/suffixes/prefixes – make them more like D2 LoD, the fun legendaries have special abilities that can change a build.

But I have to say I really want to play it all depending on the day, so campaign mode, bounties, rifts and special runs or boss runs (like those you always nerfing (baaaad)). But the other game modes should have as good (or similar) legendary drop rate too.

Thanks for a fun game with great potential to be a great game.
/Daniel.
I would like to see time trials in rifts for bonus shards/loot/rift keys. Get people out of the habit of sitting in town, and give a reason to boot for it.

You know what kills me to say Grimiku? the fact I think people are getting tired of telling you guys how to make your game interesting and rewarding...its been 2 years this game has been out and your company still cant get things right the first time around...I say this because I have played since the game released, and its sad. We should not be telling you guys with every little thing in this game how to make it enjoyable.
Going to copy paste an idea from an older thread :

I just love Nephalem ifts as they add a great feeling of surprise and unpredictability to the game and I'm having a ton of fun to clear them with friends.
I feel they could become the future of Diablo if Blizzard manage properly the feeling of exploration, the challenge and the feeling of accomplishment and reward.

However I think an easy way to make them even more unpredictable and varied would be to fiddle a bit with numbers and variables on monsters, like movement speed, missile speed, attack speed, damages and others values.

For example imagine a rift where you are attacked by faster than usual Lacuni warriors, or hard-hitting goatmen, another one where once they detected the player, bogan trappers will fire at them from very far away or a rift where the worms of the battlefield of eternity are firing fast traveling missiles at a high rate.
That would make players pause a bit to observe what is going on in this new place and would add on the feeling of exploration.
Next you could also put some variables on the colors of the monsters as well so for example you could have blue unburieds
Then you could also try adding different names for monsters spawning in rifts
Like Lacuni huntress : Ancient Lacuni
Morlu incinerator : Firelord
Phasebeast : Void predator
etc

That one require some work though but personally I'd be happy to help if Blizzard is interested in that idea. And I'm sure many others people would love to bounce ideas as well.
Actually I think you guys should open a suggestion forum ^^

All in all I feel those are pretty easy to implement touches that would enhance the feeling of discovering each time a new place when you enter a rift :)
Since most people complain that the legendary loot is bad and so on, why not add an legendary monster that have a really low chance to spawn, and I mean really low !!!

This should be a monster that would need everybody to help bring down and here is the twist that at least I would feel is awesome.

Upon the death of this legendary monster it would garantie 1 of lets say 20-25 different top of the line legendaries.

However, this legendary would be a free for all drop, meaning that everybody will have a chance to grab it and giving the same feeling as when playing the old Diablo games.
monster density is too low some parts... there was conduit without a single monster not once..
I am sure somewhere in all this there has been mention, but I will reinforce the point. The changes in the overall brighness of the settings often require me to actually change the physical lighting or adjust the monitor simply to be able to view the playing area. Perhaps it would be possible to program in some presets so you can click on a choice to quickly reset the brightness and contrast of an area to make it actually usable. Just an observation. The game its self I am finding a lot of fun, though Malthael seems to be several levels harder in power, attack speed and life levels than anything else, which is to me a bit out of balance.
It would be cool if the rift boss dropped a guaranteed extra legendary when ever he does drop one.
It would make the boss at the end feel a bit more rewarding seeing 2 legendarys drop.

Oh yah also it would be fun to fight the clone versions of the old bosses back from D2 like Baal for example :D
Edited by ViciousWolf#1307 on 4/22/2014 11:46 AM PDT
What's the most noticeable difference between a “boring” Rift and an “exciting” Rift for you?

Mob density, plenty of champion/elites, varied mobs, lots and lots of treasure goblins and power/conduct pylons are always fun ;)
Great separate thread with some great ideas!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12504231847?page=1
I get sleepy playing rifts because of how DARK they are. Even the Whimsyshire levels are extremely dark.
I've noticed in rifts that too often when we come across those powerful shrines that either give 400% damage increase, or the lightning one, that it's always right next to an area where there are no monsters. How many times have I hit one of those shrines to only then have to walk off 2/3 of the shrine timer before I find one or two.
I will not go in the obvious "need to have higher monster density" or "more side quests" route.

I really enjoyed the "weirder" kind of maps. For example the one with just one big long hallway.

My suggestions is to have more map variations like:-
1) "Endless Stairs" - Stairs going either all the way UP or DOWN or maybe both directions
2) "Big Rooms" - Make it just 1 big empty room (more like sandbox mode) with only a certain kind of mobs. Once the room is finish, just move on to the next room. Maybe it can be "themed".
3) "Reverse Boss" - Where all the regular mobs are BOSSES (act like them but have health and damage scaled to regular white mobs.
4) "Town/City" - Make a map that looks like a town/city with streets, shops and houses, with certain parts of the map have certain types of monsters, shops can be "armor" (filled with armor racks) or potion shops, etc...

I think with rifts it is very unique, it does not really need to be regular "Diablo style". It really can be anything so creativity is key.

A lot of creative maps/scenarios/suggestions can actually be taken from the "Arcade" mode from SC2. Maybe that's where Blizzard can look for inspiration.
The thing that is starting to get to me a little is that it's just the same things we are killing over and over. We killed them in our main game playthrough, and they haven't changed since then. A rift should provide a UNIQUE taste of gameplay each and every time you open it and with us killing the same flavor of mobs every time it's just not doing it for me.

I'd love to see each and every rift generated given random affixs to monsters such as:

- In this rift monsters: do 20% more frost and fire damage, but take 20% more damage from all other sources.

- Experience gained from killing monsters is increased by 50% however you no longer gain any experience from kill streaks etc

- Monsters move at 50% normal speeds. Players projectiles are slowed by 25%

There are SO MANY different attributes you could apply to a rift to both increase difficulty and reward for them to actually make them both entertaining and worthwhile for the playerbase to want to keep playing through for hours, week, months, hell.... even years if we eventually get scaling loot throughout them and a reason to progress to the end.

To go on from that, I would also love to see more bosses throughout the rift. perhaps at 33% and 66% we could get mini rift guardians to spawn which offer blood shards and a decreased chance at a forgotten soul. It would give the dungeon a feel of progression and break up the monotony of the slaughterfest.

And then finally, loot progression in there should be a thing. T1 should in no way be comparable to T6... but then I am not sure how to handle this. Maybe killing a rift guardian could have a chance to drop some sort of horadric upgrade stone for that difficulty that can be applied to one of your items increasing the stats by 2-3% each time you upgrade, for a max of 5 upgrades or so? (Similar to the system in WoW with upgrades, but gated by your own progression rather than by a weekly cap on VP)
I would like to present a few additional ideas about how Rifts could work.

• Rifts are broken into segments (Think tile sets)
  • Rift can contain 1 to X segments (each Rift is not necessarily multiple segments)
  • Segments are broken into levels (ex. Icy Caves Level 1, Icy Caves Level 2, etc.)
  • Segments can contain 1 to X levels (each segment is not necessarily multiple levels)
  • Access from one segment to the next is via an obelisk or portal
  • Access one level to the next is via standard map edge door/cave/gate/etc.
  • Segments ultimately "end" with mini- bosses (unless it is the last segment and would have the Rift Guardian)

With the above, what if to access the next segment the player must defeat the mini boss. Once defeated, the portal/obelisk would appear in that spot (similar to a Realm Walker).

Similarly, level exits (access to the next level) would only become active (and appear on the map) once all elites on the level were defeated. Perhaps even allow the player to click the "door" on the map (if discovered) to automatically move to the next level.
My main issue with rifts (aside from density) Is that I am always bummed out when I reach the rift guardian, I feel that getting him/her should be a exciting moment but I know all I have to look forward to is the loot equivalent to a over sized treasure goblin. Nothing special, I would personally like to see new legendary items be designed that is tied to each rift guardian and can only be obtained from those rift guardians at torment 1 and higher. In fairness these items should be considered a "End-game" item and scale in power per-tick of torment. A example of such a item would be Lord of Bells could drop a Cow Bell which would be a amulet slot, the Cow Bell would summon a bovine every 5 seconds and can have a maximum of up to 5 bovines. Each rift guardian would have similar loot tied to something about them. For example the one that summons arcane sentries could have a amulet that will summon a arcane sentry of your own. idk just throwing ideas out there. I know something like this would make my blood pump a little more when i see that rift guardian bar progress. "WHAT WILL I GET" will pass my mind instead of "well time for another soul"
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]