Diablo® III

No viable physical builds for DH?

I do not play a demon hunter... infact.. It is the only character I have never leveled purely because sitting back 20 miles away and sniping is not very appealing to me. However it is my friends main... we have a small issue. He opted to go a pure physical build using rapid fire and he has excellent dps... 1.2 mil or so not including the hidden damage from his %physical. Why is it he gets out-dpsed by 600k dps DH's using cluster? It just is mind boggling.. they crit for 70-80k damage and he can only "slow melt" things. So I guess 2 questions are.. how do you all feel about physical abilities on the demon hunter.. and more so.. is there a viable build he can run using the physical% gear he has.. he really does NOT want to settle for cluster bomb or whatever its called. If he had to he would have to re-roll all his gear and then half of it isnt even viable for the build.

advice please
Reply Quote
The DH's Phys skill are good, it's just the Cindercoat and Magefist are just make fire too attractive for most.

There is a handy dandy Knives Xpert build out there thats phys which requires the Sash O' Knives belt and phys is good for the (Legit) beast(in') master DH which requires 4 set Marauders+Cloak of the Garwulof.
Reply Quote
None. It is too unfortunate. Let's hope blizzard buffs us. Give up, there's no hope.
Reply Quote
Ok what makes this set particularly useful? He seems to have terrible hatred regeneration problems and sustaining that damage
Reply Quote
Prep/Punishment and the Knightstalker passive should help w/ resource problems. Resource cost redux stacking helps too(Pride's Fall helm from TIII bounties).
Reply Quote
I've made a small guide on a physical DPS spec. Have a look if you want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgTsruAfu8c&feature=youtu.be
Reply Quote
Marauder 4 piece or 3 + RRG is difficult to obtain and mostly requires the RNG gods to fall hopelessly in love with you - I wish that was sarcasm. The sheet DPS your friend boasts works with the set because pets take full advantage of the player's dmg stats.
Reply Quote
04/21/2014 02:52 PMPosted by Wilson
None.

lies
Reply Quote
What is your definition of viable?

I run a physical build. T4 is faceroll, elites die in < 10-15 sec... i don't have the toughness to do T5+ effectively without dying so I stay in T4.
Reply Quote
What is your definition of viable?

I run a physical build. T4 is faceroll, elites die in < 10-15 sec... i don't have the toughness to do T5+ effectively without dying so I stay in T4.

pretty much this.

I run chakrams/pet build (if you are viewing my profile, the skill/passives/some gears aren't setup for T4..so ignore that but its pretty close to what i run)

does not have the burst capability of CA but it absolutely does terrific sustained DPS once you get your sentries up

My wolves do some serious damage (5-7m each wolf crits for)
Chakrams I spam for 7-10m on whites and 10m+ easily on elites

I'm not even optimized yet but yea, pretty much what this guy said.
T4 is laughably easy right now for me as well. T5 is doable, but ineffecient... you literally can't get into a thunderstorm or frozen or your screwed in a matter of secs haha.
Edited by SkiTz#1750 on 4/21/2014 4:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Multishot:Suppresion Fire and Prep:Punishment get the job done pretty decently, but you need to be careful how you work it because it starts to suffer when the number of targets decreases and you have to make a choice between using a generator or dumping more precious discipline. That's what I used to run before I got my Cindercoat, now I'm just messing with fire builds (free Chakrams, Rapid Fire and Strafe, yay!) Arsenal deals more damage but it needs two passives to support it (Ballistics and Nightstalker) so I think it evens out. You can get 25% RCR relatively easily and even though Cindercoat bumps that to 50% or higher for fire skills, it doesn't affect Preparation:Punishment cost. This is where Suppression Fire shines since it gives a guaranteed 1 discipline per target hit vs. the 0.75 per critical hit of Nightstalker, scaled down with proc coefficients (I might be wrong on that one.)

Pet/Sentries is very viable but is very gear dependent. The Cloak of Garwulf drops like autumn leaves and Tasker can be gambled, but good luck with that 4pc Marauder set.
Reply Quote
My physical DH runs t4 very easily. Wouldn't bother with T5. CA provides the damage option when you need it, pretty limited with physical. Even with switch to my near perf buriza + ninth for bosses I only pull about 40mil dps. CA easily destroys that figure for boss kills.
Reply Quote
CA is way too much cheese for me and I'm lactose intolerant. ;)

I'm a casual D2 vintage player and I'm having fun with an all physical build: HA, RF, ROV/FS and Vengence.

I just found my 2nd Marauder's piece so I rerolled 3 sockets on the chest and RF on the boots so I'm progressing decently down the physical path. I expect Blizzard to buff up physical and/or RF eventually to balance the game so when they do... I'm set ;)
Reply Quote
I use physical for t1 and lower, maybe t2, for multishot/vault speed clearing. CA for higher torment.

CA + resource cost reduction is too much damage to compete with, and you need to wait until blizzard reworks the skills for other specs to be competitive in high torment.
Reply Quote
04/21/2014 03:03 PMPosted by ActionKungfu
lies

and

04/21/2014 09:31 PMPosted by mukunda
and you need to wait until blizzard reworks the skills for other specs to be competitive in high torment.

Uh, why wait when you can do that right now with *some* available options. Eventually blizz will change some things around like always, but it's not nearly as bad as many believe atm. CA, specifically fire, is just easier to gear and figure out a "usable" spec for.
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 4/21/2014 9:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Legacy soj makes razor disc very sustainable sans generator.
Reply Quote
04/21/2014 02:44 PMPosted by Akuma
He opted to go a pure physical build using rapid fire and he has excellent dps... 1.2 mil or so not including the hidden damage from his %physical. Why is it he gets out-dpsed by 600k dps DH's using cluster?

04/21/2014 02:53 PMPosted by Akuma
He seems to have terrible hatred regeneration problems and sustaining that damage

I'm guessing lack of AoE with physical Rapid Fire, and APS not optimised with the rest of the build/gear to help with resource sustain?

If your friend wishes to keep the physical RF, then I'd suggest picking up a cheap AoE spender for trash mobs like Chakram:Razor Disk, and use RF to burn high HP targets and elites down. Pick a physical generator to use with the build like Hungering Arrow, Evasive Fire or Entangling Shot unless he has a good amount of crit chance and resource cost reduction, in which case Preparation-Punishment and Night Stalker would help with resource recovery. Another skill that might help your friend to sustain RF longer for elite fights would be Vengeance-Seethe. Brooding would help with his life regen while channelling RF stationary.
Reply Quote
04/21/2014 09:35 PMPosted by DiEoxidE
04/21/2014 03:03 PMPosted by ActionKungfu
lies

and

04/21/2014 09:31 PMPosted by mukunda
and you need to wait until blizzard reworks the skills for other specs to be competitive in high torment.

Uh, why wait when you can do that right now with *some* available options. Eventually blizz will change some things around like always, but it's not nearly as bad as many believe atm. CA, specifically fire, is just easier to gear and figure out a "usable" spec for.

Chakram: 380% damage each throw
Cluster Bomb: Upto 3150% damage each shot

I'm going to wait for more powerful hatred spenders in other specs
Reply Quote
Chakram razor / impale sentry / grevious wounds.. works for me but certainly an acquired taste... more sustainable and complex to play then ca builds...extremely versatile and very complete that has elements to perform well in very different mob situations and affixes...

To me rf is only web shot for running frosty kinder build as the cc freeze is helpful.

Other than that rf can be limiting imo.
Edited by Chappy#1504 on 4/21/2014 10:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]