Diablo® III

Skill elemental type revisions in the works

04/21/2014 01:48 PMPosted by Nevalistis
04/21/2014 01:12 PMPosted by soci
WW is not imo a huge issue but the fact that lightning/cold/non-fire builds all perform poorly and aren't really good compared with fire.

This is actually a topic I've been meaning to post on for a while, but hadn't found a good opportunity yet. Now's as good a time as any, I suppose!

When we did a pass on elemental damage types across skills during the Closed Beta for Reaper of Souls, the Barbarian class was one that received the most revision. While we arrived at a place much closer to where we were aiming, we think there's room for some additional adjustments. I don't have details on exact changes to share at this time, but it's likely you'll see some skills, and not just for the Barbarian, shift around their elemental type in a future patch.
Reply Quote
Oh god please don't touch LfB.
Reply Quote
I think its fair to say that we can expect some changes, considering 99% of the players out there are using the same fire based build.
Reply Quote
I like fire. Thematically, not because it's overpowered with cindercoat. I hope they won't touch Strafe :(
Reply Quote
Honestly, I see us getting some more Cold and Poison variants. Fire doesn't need any help. Physical isn't bad. Lightning can be serviceable, too.

But since this invariably means skill tweaks, I'll be "that guy" and think Cull the Weak should probably be reworked, though, instead transferring like 75% or so of its damage bonus to all attack skills now full-time and instead significantly up the duration of the slowing/immobilize effects if you have it set.

This would help open up consideration for other generators not ES or niche HA.
Reply Quote
If we do get any changes...as much as a Negative Nancy I might sound like, knowing Blizzard, they will nerf fire skills and gear quite hard to try and get people to use the other skills. We MIGHT...MIGHT get a few TINY buffs to the other skills, maybe if we're lucky one or two variations turned to another element, but I wouldn't hold my breath. :(
Reply Quote
Two examples of how this would nerf:

Cluster Arrow - Cluster Freeze Bombs (changes Cluster Bombs to cold)
Cluster Arrow - Loaded for Skunk (changes Loaded for Bear to poison)
Reply Quote
04/21/2014 03:41 PMPosted by Iria
Two examples of how this would nerf:

Cluster Arrow - Cluster Freeze Bombs (changes Cluster Bombs to cold)
Cluster Arrow - Loaded for Skunk (changes Loaded for Bear to poison)

I'll seriously end up using unruned cluster arrow instead lol. Technically all the LFB rune does is add 220% to the primary explosion.
Reply Quote
04/21/2014 03:40 PMPosted by Tanakeah
If we do get any changes...as much as a Negative Nancy I might sound like, knowing Blizzard, they will nerf fire skills and gear quite hard to try and get people to use the other skills. We MIGHT...MIGHT get a few TINY buffs to the other skills, maybe if we're lucky one or two variations turned to another element, but I wouldn't hold my breath. :(

I will risk a ban on this forum if they touch my build, and, or gear. We work hard to create setups... hopefully I can throw together a zoo build+sentries as a precaution. I'm already half way there.
Reply Quote
Personally, I think every skill should have runes with most if not all elemental types. It would also make sense for elemental type to reflect the rune effect, with visuals to match. It already does for most runes, but not all. I'm thinking along these lines:

• Fire for enhanced damage / AOE
  • Physical for knockback / pull / pierce
  • Lightning for stun / blind / teleport
  • Poison for DoT / disease / curse and generally debuffs
  • Cold for slow / root
  • Holy for healing / protection and other self buffs
  • Arcane for resource reduction / gain

To take MfD as an example, I would make the following changes:
  • Contagion: Poison. Also scales with +poison skills (so if you have +60% poison damage, it would be +32% damage)
  • Valley of Death: Fire. Also change the visual to a somewhat fiery circle that looks like it would hurt if you stepped into it, and/or light a fire at mobs' feet
  • Grim Reaper: Fire. Also change the visual on the mob to a fiery aura that flashes when it's hit, or have sparks fly towards affected enemies, basically something indicating that it's dealing damage around it
  • Mortal Enemy: Arcane. Maybe give it a visual similar to Soul Siphon, but arcane-colored
  • Death Toll: Holy. Similar visual to Mortal Enemy, but red tinted.

Right now, I can't even tell if we we hurl rockets at demons or we fire them. I mean, half of our rocket skills are physical and the other half fire. What gives?
Edited by Xianath#2370 on 4/21/2014 4:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Find your Garwulf's before it's tooooo lateeeeeee.....

JK, I seriously hope nothing gets nerfed, but seriously there is no really viable builds except fire for DH and fire for Barb right now.
Reply Quote
View profile
@Xianath

If you didn't know, grim reaper is effected by physical%. Was kinda surprised when I tested it~
Reply Quote
04/21/2014 04:19 PMPosted by VocaloidNyan
If you didn't know, grim reaper is effected by physical%. Was kinda surprised when I tested it~

I didn't, but that's actually great news - it's working as it should then! I might get back to my physical MS build just for kicks. Since I usually mark the hardest target and the monk palms a couple of weaker mobs, this might actually work really well. I just don't have the heart to dish out 1.5M just to switch between Cindercoat and Garwulf's right now, so I'll stick to fire for now until I can farm enough emeralds for three more flawless royals.

Do you happen to know if the other MfD runes benefit from +physical?
Reply Quote
View profile
as far as I know, no.
Reply Quote
gee let me guess the magnitude of the changes...

rattling roll -> lightning

<slow motion drop my coffee on the ground in astonishment>
Reply Quote
Personally, I think every skill should have runes with most if not all elemental types. It would also make sense for elemental type to reflect the rune effect, with visuals to match. It already does for most runes, but not all. I'm thinking along these lines:

• Fire for enhanced damage / AOE
  • Physical for knockback / pull / pierce
  • Lightning for stun / blind / teleport
  • Poison for DoT / disease / curse and generally debuffs
  • Cold for slow / root
  • Holy for healing / protection and other self buffs
  • Arcane for resource reduction / gain

?

Seven element diversification is way too many.
I'll stick to Fire, Physical, Arcane (Shadow). Most of the poison runes can be converted to arcane, shadow flame type of deals. But of course the lightning and frost hunters will come after me.
Reply Quote
04/21/2014 06:23 PMPosted by Wilson
Most of the poison runes can be converted to arcane, shadow flame type of deals.

No. I'd rather they not touch our poison skills. Arcane does not fit into the DH theme at all and should not return to our arsenal.
Reply Quote
I'd like to have poison rune on EA since DH is some what between assassin and archer, poison theme fits well to the class.
Edited by Autarch#1541 on 4/21/2014 11:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
As another fire DH, I am strong in group, can dish out some serious damage, but when I solo T3, I'm having a much harder time.

I hope they fix the other skills, instead of just "tweaking" fire damage down. Please don't take another "fixed a bug" approach and nerf !@#$ to the ground.
Reply Quote
View profile
... s o are we getting the physical runes back?

y o u know REMOVE all those poison and cold and some fire runes will do...

ps. Rain of Vengeance: Shade should go back to that Crimson and Physical...
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 4/22/2014 12:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]