Diablo® III

The Angiris council Didn't even help????

So Female Diablo is dead and Malthael steals the big piece of Charcoal and turns it blue.

I am one who ACTUALLY clicks on and reads Every* piece of dialogue in the game, and explores Every* inch of the game. so I understand much more than the casual gamer does when it comes to in-game lore. (it kinda saddens me to see some people get confused and start asking questions about the story that was easily explained had they actually listened to the dialogue). I'd say my grasp of the whole story is up to par with how the writers actually wanted it depicted.

But one thing that makes absolutely no sense. When Malthael started attacking, why was there absolutely* NO* intervention (Or HELP for that matter) from the other Archangels in the Angiris Council???

I understand Imperius doesn't wanna play, since he never liked Humans to begin with, but why didn't Auriel or Itherael do jack squat or lift a finger to help the hero and Tyrael out once Malthael started assaulting earth?? Surely it would be all over the Angelic News by then...

Imean, were they just sitting on the Crystal Couch watching the news through the plasma water widescreen jar, eating popcorn that Imperius cooked within his armor when he last got angry?
Edited by Retukaibo#1127 on 4/13/2014 8:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
bump. this is very important.
Reply Quote
Storm of light kind of touches upon this. The angels.. have had a lot on their plate both mentally and physically after the events of ACT IV. Many of them are not quite themselves either.
Reply Quote
I'd imagine the last thing Heaven wants right now is a civil war. That and with a good number of Heaven being in favor of Sanctuary's destruction, the Council (now numbering 3) is in a really tough spot.

Honestly, I kinda feel like we are being built up to a point where Imperius rejects the Council for an assorted number of things he feels is directly the fault of not blowing up Sanctuary to begin with, and having a third of what is left of Heaven siding with him.

I hope not. Imperious could use a solid slap to the face and a good lesson on humility, but I would rather not have to fight and kill any more angels the needed. I'd even fight to protect the arrogant fool if a group of newly awakened Nephalem decided to storm Heaven and get revenge for the hellish nightmare Malthael released on Sanctuary.

Why?

Because Fear begets Hatred, Hatred begets Destruction, Destruction leads to Fear, and so it continues...

And I for one am tired of playing right into the hands of the lords of Hell.
Reply Quote
There's a line of dialogue about this between Tyrael and the PC. Basically, its because Imperious is head of the Angiris Council and he could care less about what happens to humans/nephs or to what happens on Sanctuary. So the Angels stay out of it. I can't say I blame him. It seems humans/nephs are the root of most of the problems.
Reply Quote
04/14/2014 03:56 PMPosted by Spartan5150
There's a line of dialogue about this between Tyrael and the PC. Basically, its because Imperious is head of the Angiris Council and he could care less about what happens to humans/nephs or to what happens on Sanctuary. So the Angels stay out of it. I can't say I blame him. It seems humans/nephs are the root of most of the problems.

This and the Angiris Council was undecided since Malthael was still one of them and they didn't want to slay a fellow Archangel.
Reply Quote
Malthael was looking to end the eternal conflict by killing all the demons in existence, seems like a win for the angels. Humans and Nephs dying do not hurt the Angels in the long run. Even with all the demons destroyed the most likely enemy of the angels would be the Humans and Nephs.

Other than a sense of morality there would be no reason to intervene.
Reply Quote
But isn't a sense of morality needed to be called the good guy?

So the fight between angels and demons - between light and darkness, is not good vs. evil, but only order vs. chaos.
Reply Quote
05/01/2014 05:19 AMPosted by Lenghin
But isn't a sense of morality needed to be called the good guy?

So the fight between angels and demons - between light and darkness, is not good vs. evil, but only order vs. chaos.

Actually, that is more or less what is said in the lore since the first Diablo game.

Thinking of angels as the 'good guys' is probably a bit too optimistic or hopeful. The angels are concerned with order, and even the followers of Zakarum only like Angels insofar as the Angels tend to fight demons. Zakarum is about the light within humans/ourselves. Yes, this mirrors our Angelic heritage, but it's not intended for us to worship the angels, either.

Other NPCs (the Enchantress, for instance) are initially fearful or concerned regarding Angels. The Enchantress is a bit concerned about Tyrael initially, before observing that he is committed to helping humanity.

So yes, in short, it is very much an order v. chaos conflict, and not a good vs. evil one.
Reply Quote
04/20/2014 01:19 PMPosted by Valshaw
04/14/2014 03:56 PMPosted by Spartan5150

This and the Angiris Council was undecided since Malthael was still one of them and they didn't want to slay a fellow Archangel.

Yet maltheal had no problem attacking heaven with his reapers so either way angels shuold have done something instead of waiting on nephalem to stop maltheal as it was a common enemy. i also dont think its humanities fault for what happened as they are half good and half evil they have a balance and can choose but are usually and in this case corrupted by demons so it is the demons fault. For this reason they should turn all their anger back at demons, let mortals sort out their own mortal problems and that would be that. does anybody know what happened to the origonal nephalem? dureley they couldnt have all been destroyed or died out. is there any lore on it?
Reply Quote
05/23/2014 04:21 AMPosted by trev
04/20/2014 01:19 PMPosted by Valshaw

Yet maltheal had no problem attacking heaven with his reapers so either way angels shuold have done something instead of waiting on nephalem to stop maltheal as it was a common enemy. i also dont think its humanities fault for what happened as they are half good and half evil they have a balance and can choose but are usually and in this case corrupted by demons so it is the demons fault. For this reason they should turn all their anger back at demons, let mortals sort out their own mortal problems and that would be that. does anybody know what happened to the origonal nephalem? dureley they couldnt have all been destroyed or died out. is there any lore on it?

They did. At least for the most part. There's several things I'll point out here first let's talk about the Nephalem.

The world stone was manipulated in a way to limit the Nephalem's power. This meant that the Nephalem became "Regular Mortals." for the most part and eventually faded away into obscurity. In diablo 2 the world stone was destroyed allowing humans to tap into their Nephalem potential. Technically speaking ALL humans are Nephalem but not all Nephalem are equal.

Don't forget Imperius is prideful. He claims he can't bring himself to slay one of his brothers. This is him just not admitting the truth (IMO) because remember.. not long ago he tried to kill Tyrael who simply called him a coward. Yet he reacted with less anger towards an angel who attacked heaven itself? No the real reason he wouldn't help is because he had his head kicked in by Prime Evil diablo and at this point Malthael is even stronger than him. Myriam gives evidence that this is the case as she tells your character if you speak to her after you get "permission" that Imperius is going to hate you more than ever for "Needing your help."

Your character claims he "Already does" and she responds with "You have no idea." It's the classic case of "I can do it myself! However, I'm not going to because...."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]