Diablo® III

BLIZZARD plans for the post Net Neutrality world?

I would like to know what BLIZZARD has planed for the post Net Neutrality world?

With the deal Netflix had to make recently and the announcement today that the FCC will not fight the courts ruling on Net Neutrality but instead write a framework that guts it. I want to know how this affects you, and ultimately me.

What would be more likely to happen first: We see some kind of fee to play Diablo 3 (or increased fees for games like WoW) or we see servers shut down either partially or permanently?

Does blizzard have any plans for a lawsuit?

Or would you consider placing giant adds on your websites stating that fees are being introduced to play because of the gutting of Net Neutrality in order to get the masses to actually do something and stand up for there rights?
Edited by Edix#1543 on 4/24/2014 8:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i don't even understand how something like net neutrality even gets enough people against it to kill it...

that is a SERIOUS monopoly if they are buying enough people to kill opposition. it's like a company that puts lead in gasoline lobbying and winning the fight to continue to poison the whole world for 20 years before being stopped

... sorry, i watched cosmos :D
Reply Quote
Net Neutrality just got implemented in EU law at least. They wouldn't be able to make an international product that discriminates on one side of the planet and doesn't on the other.
Reply Quote
Do more research.
Reply Quote
04/24/2014 08:10 AMPosted by Tonytony
i don't even understand how something like net neutrality even gets enough people against it to kill it...

that is a SERIOUS monopoly if they are buying enough people to kill opposition. it's like a company that puts lead in gasoline lobbying and winning the fight to continue to poison the whole world for 20 years before being stopped

... sorry, i watched cosmos :D

Me too, and yes it is exactly like that. The FCC chairman, who halfheartedly defended Net Neutrality and failed, and is now writing the new rules, was a TV and Cellphone lobbyist before becoming chairman. So yeah.
Edited by Edix#1543 on 4/24/2014 8:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
An actual intelligent topic? Am i still on the diablo forums?.Sorry,i'll show myself out now.
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 will have a monthly fee because Activision-Blizzard now has to pay Comcast/Verizon/ATT/etc... a fee for people to play their games on their ISP services at a decent speed.

The FCC got infiltrated by a bunch of "Fast Lane" lobbyists.

Now, we all lose.
Edited by Scourge#1319 on 4/24/2014 8:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 will have a monthly fee because Activision-Blizzard now has to pay Comcast/Verizon/ATT/etc... a fee for people to play their games on their ISP services as a decent speed.

An arbitrary fee. That they get to chose without any regulation. They can charge whatever they want. The courts ruling said that because there is no evidence that they would do this net neutrality would burn, because FREE MARKET! Except for the fact that they have manipulated the market in such a way that they dont have to compete with anyone or anything. Only thing that stood in there way was regulation and they won that fight to have it gutted.
Reply Quote
Someone had to notice that gaming was cheap entertainement and decide to work agains't that at some point. Welcome to a world controlled purely by huge corporations bleeding out every ounce of blood they can out of the common people.
Reply Quote
I bet to off-set the extra fees, content providers like Netflix will start signing EXCLUSIVITY deals with specific ISPs.

So, Comcast customers will have TWICE the bandwidth for Netflix that Verizon customers will have. Or, even worse, Netflix will be EXCLUSIVE to Comcast customers through some cruddy deal. So now, ISPs will start claiming content providers through exclusivity deals to force customers to change their ISP.

I hate it. The FCC is garbage. I wish Obama would fire the whole damn board. They all lied to get their positions and now they are writing laws that will empower Big Business and most assuredly put HUGE BONUS CHECKS in their Christmas stockings.
Reply Quote
Someone had to notice that gaming was cheap entertainement and decide to work agains't that at some point. Welcome to a world controlled purely by huge corporations bleeding out every ounce of blood they can out of the common people.

It really doesn't have anything to do with games, or entertainment, specifically.

It has to do with the fact that the telecom's and cable companies got $10b of tax payer money to help build a national broadband internet and now they feel like they should be able to charge us, twice, to use it.
Reply Quote
04/24/2014 08:32 AMPosted by Scourge
I bet to off-set the extra fees, content providers like Netflix will start signing EXCLUSIVITY deals with specific ISPs.

So, Comcast customers will have TWICE the bandwidth for Netflix that Verizon customers will have. Or, even worse, Netflix will be EXCLUSIVE to Comcast customers through some cruddy deal. So now, ISPs will start claiming content providers through exclusivity deals to force customers to change their ISP.

I hate it. The FCC is garbage. I wish Obama would fire the whole damn board. They all lied to get their positions and now they are writing laws that will empower Big Business and most assuredly put HUGE BONUS CHECKS in their Christmas stockings.

Because Obama totally isn't part of all of this. Wake up, they're all on the same boat.
Reply Quote
I hope you guys realize playing Blizzard games doesn't take that much bandwidth.
Reply Quote
Because Obama totally isn't part of all of this. Wake up, they're all on the same boat.

While I agree that Obama should do something about this I do not play the false equivalency game.

Obama is not equivalent to the overwhelming obstructionism that is going on in our government right now. And while he only cared about bailing out the big banks and wall street when he could and should have done more. He is not actively seeking out an Oligarchy like the Republicans are. But he isn't doing enough to stop it either.
Reply Quote
04/24/2014 08:39 AMPosted by STRIKER
I hope you guys realize playing Blizzard games doesn't take that much bandwidth.

I doesn't mater. It has to do with the fact that they can now, and will, charge a fee to allow access to the most popular, and profitable, portions of the internet. Because they can and they are greedy. They will extort any company that has a large user base. Throttle the users connection to it. Wait for the users to complain to the company then use that as leverage to extort a price to unthrottle there user base. All totally legal to do now.

Case and point: See Netflix
Reply Quote
Well I see this got buried.

I, at lest, hope that BLIZZARD takes this seriously.

=(
Reply Quote
04/24/2014 08:39 AMPosted by STRIKER

That just means the ISP's will have to work harder to throttle it down to the point that customers complain. And more work for the ISP's means higher fees for Blizzard to pay - and pass on to their customers.

Of course, everything means higher fees to pay for us customers. That's the way things work in the post-net-neutrality world.
Reply Quote
My advice is for everyone to talk to their Congressman/woman. Time Warner/Comcast, Verizon, AT&T have lobbyists and invests tons of money in order to get their interests across. AT&T was broken up into smaller companies because it was considered a monopoly back then. Eventually most of the companies it had broken up into came back together into the AT&T we know today. Now Time Warner and Comcast are trying to merge. Holy Cow! Google is setting up it's own faster fiber optic networks but, they can't put em up fast enough because I'm sure the big 3 has political interest in most of the major cities.

My point. I think Net Neutrality is a big issue but, Blizzard is just a small part of a much bigger problem. Good idea to bring awareness though.
Reply Quote
While I agree that Obama should do something about this I do not play the false equivalency game.

Obama is not equivalent to the overwhelming obstructionism that is going on in our government right now. And while he only cared about bailing out the big banks and wall street when he could and should have done more. He is not actively seeking out an Oligarchy like the Republicans are. But he isn't doing enough to stop it either.

While I entirely agree with the fact that the government as a whole is behaving like 5 year old children throwing temper tantrums, a major part of that statement is entirely false.

Bush authorized more money in bailouts (over $115B) in October of 2008 alone than Obama has during his entire presidency. It isn't Obama that is bailout happy, it was Bush.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]