Diablo® III

Blizzard's stance on botting

The botter's stench is strong with this thread.
Edited by Gax#2300 on 5/1/2014 5:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i honestly don't care if someone bots, if this game had an AH/trading system i'd care.

but it's a single player game, i lose nothing if someone bots.
Reply Quote
04/30/2014 10:34 PMPosted by Traveler
04/30/2014 10:12 PMPosted by DreUd
How does botting affect your gameplay?

It's a moral imperative, or is that too much of a concept for you to digest?

Some of us abhor the practice of botting as much, if not more than others dislike modding and consider it cheating.

Anti-modders go so far as refusing to play with people who are known to play modded accounts. But nobody cares about whether the guys they're playing with are using botted items.... Kind of a double standard there, wouldn't you say?

So, how many bots were you running in D3 Vanilla? They affected everyone who played the game.

I don't bot or use cheat codes because I feel it cheapens the experience but "a moral imperative"?

Please get some perspective. It's a freaking video game for christ's sake.
Reply Quote
Didn't know there was bots, none are joining my game spamming websites and misc things. They can't ruin the d3 economy. Although I could see the problem for ladders but honestly I'm sure bllizz is already noted this as a topic for there release of 2.1
Reply Quote
05/01/2014 08:46 AMPosted by SirRight
05/01/2014 02:42 AMPosted by dasein

calling someone who doesn't care about botting a psychopath is a LITTLE strong buddy, may want to calm down. just a game

Not really. Just read through this entire thread and watch their responses carefully. Being a psychopath doesn't mean you want to go kill everyone, it just means your brain is wired differently. Most people like this can easily make the hard decisions that you and I wouldn't want to or couldn't easily make, but they see the problem without the emotion and usually pick the path that hurts the least amount of people.

The negative side is you don't care that your actions affect anyone else negatively, as long as you achieve the goal you want to. You can reason with them all you want to but once they decide on the best course of action, they usually lock into that solution.

Maybe you should educate yourself a bit more vice just trying to throw me under the bus. Hollywood has demonized these people and yet some of the best leaders in the world....well I'll let you seek further enlightenment.

pretty sure you're in no position to judge who or who isn't a psychopath in this thread based off of a couple of responses, so yeah while psychopaths exist, I'm definitely sure that stereotyping those who have cheated in video games into psychopathic behaviour is far more complex than what you or anyone else in this thread might be implying. One study done from a weak source with no other information given (some quantifiable data would be amazing btw) isn't going to cut it sorry.

I'm not trying to defend botters, I just find it really worrying that people are so angered by other people botting in a game that really has no significant impact on their experience that they are willing to label them psychopaths based on a couple of remarks. If anything, THAT'S the most worrying part, as you're taking it way too far and getting way too emotionally invested in something without any sort of balance. It's not like you're studying the behaviour of those in this thread who are defending botters, you don't even know them or have any sort of decent information to conclude with any significance whether they are or aren't, but you're so angry about it that you'll call them psychopaths anyway. Ironic, and actually pretty scary.
Reply Quote
05/01/2014 06:01 PMPosted by dasein

Not really. Just read through this entire thread and watch their responses carefully. Being a psychopath doesn't mean you want to go kill everyone, it just means your brain is wired differently. Most people like this can easily make the hard decisions that you and I wouldn't want to or couldn't easily make, but they see the problem without the emotion and usually pick the path that hurts the least amount of people.

The negative side is you don't care that your actions affect anyone else negatively, as long as you achieve the goal you want to. You can reason with them all you want to but once they decide on the best course of action, they usually lock into that solution.

Maybe you should educate yourself a bit more vice just trying to throw me under the bus. Hollywood has demonized these people and yet some of the best leaders in the world....well I'll let you seek further enlightenment.

pretty sure you're in no position to judge who or who isn't a psychopath in this thread based off of a couple of responses, so yeah while psychopaths exist, I'm definitely sure that stereotyping those who have cheated in video games into psychopathic behaviour is far more complex than what you or anyone else in this thread might be implying. One study done from a weak source with no other information given (some quantifiable data would be amazing btw) isn't going to cut it sorry.

I'm not trying to defend botters, I just find it really worrying that people are so angered by other people botting in a game that really has no significant impact on their experience that they are willing to label them psychopaths based on a couple of remarks. If anything, THAT'S the most worrying part, as you're taking it way too far and getting way too emotionally invested in something without any sort of balance. It's not like you're studying the behaviour of those in this thread who are defending botters, you don't even know them or have any sort of decent information to conclude with any significance whether they are or aren't, but you're so angry about it that you'll call them psychopaths anyway. Ironic, and actually pretty scary.

Read what you just wrote tomorrow, after a good night's sleep. I'm pretty sure that you are the one with all the inner hostility. I'm calm and cool, and I simply exposed a perception based on the disregard of some of the posters' attitude towards the issues of botting, cheating, and stealing.

They say that a person is most angered by the things they see in people that subconsciously are part of their own personality. Doctor, heal thyself!
Reply Quote
05/01/2014 06:10 PMPosted by SirRight

Read what you just wrote tomorrow, after a good night's sleep. I'm pretty sure that you are the one with all the inner hostility. I'm calm and cool, and I simply exposed a perception based on the disregard of some of the posters' attitude towards the issues of botting, cheating, and stealing.

They say that a person is most angered by the things they see in people that subconsciously are part of their own personality. Doctor, heal thyself!

I'm hostile towards those who are either A) stupid enough, B) angry enough, or C) too messed up themselves enough to diagnose someone with a severe psychological profile based on a few comments on a diablo 3 message board. No need to sleep over it, unlike yourself my judgements on people's behaviour is usually accurate regardless of whether I'm angry or not. Stay safe pseudo-professor SirRight (oh the psychological field day people could have over you naming yourself SirRight!), and good luck with your debating endeavours in the D3 forum :)
Reply Quote
Blizzard will ban botters as they find them they always have. With boa the bots left are just lame people that can't play the game and eventually will be caught. The driving force behind bots was always $$$ and that is gone now.
Reply Quote
Any Blues gonna reply to this?? I hope a ban wave is planned soon.. many guild I go to have people botting and trying to find best exploits, kind of annoying always having people accuse each other and the drama. No matter what people say, it affect me indirectly.
Edited by Simon#1155 on 5/3/2014 1:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I am famous AMA
Reply Quote
A couple reasons I don't see a bot ban wave coming, yet.

#1: More people bot than ever before. I assume this is due to the fact that everything is BOA, and getting loot simply isn't as easy as it was.

#2: Diablo brings a lot of competitive players, no legit player, will ever beat out a botter, thus often having once legit players who want to be "the top", turn to a bot to help them catch up. In a competition, you need the same advantage as your competition.

#3: The only advantage you gain, is personal. Yes you lvl a lot faster and generally get gear quicker, but until the items are tradable again, how does this effect you?

I assume one of 3 things happen when Ladder drops:

#1: Warden goes active, all suspected botters are gone.
#2: Warden will scan only Ladder games.
#3: Nothing, we continue as is, and have threads like this.

Should a ban wave come? Yes.
Will it? I don't know
I do, however, feel that when they do, there should be a "fair warning" note for the patch in which would include it. Anyone after that, more than deserves to be booted and banned perm.

Just my thoughts.

P.S. stop comparing a botter to people who commit federal offenses, thanks!
Reply Quote
the offense was not botting; but the derogatory statement he made to the player
Reply Quote
this thread is garbage.
Reply Quote
This thread is n absolute joke. I cannot fathom why you people care if someone bots in a single player game where there is no possible economy to harm.
Reply Quote
That you can get a temp ban for bad language in a game that has a language filter built in just baffles me.
But yeah bots are bad, but at least they do not waste resources anymore banning them (<-sarcasm)
Reply Quote
Someone got banned for using homophobic slurs. This is great, thank you Blizzard.

05/06/2014 09:30 AMPosted by Ophidion
#1: More people bot than ever before.

lol. Yeah right.

I assume this is due to the fact that everything is BOA, and getting loot simply isn't as easy as it was.

Nope, it is because there are some few botters that expect people like you, who want Blizzard to get rid of BoA, are successful and then their bots will return profit.

The great thing about smart loot is that your bot will only find good gear for your bot.

Always suspicious that people constantly come to the forums to whine about the very things that make botting hard. Like BoA and the Smart loot. Maek you think.
Edited by vexorian#1817 on 5/8/2014 7:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
First of all, I don't think botting is a good thing to the game. What's the point of the game if nobody actually "plays" it? This should never be allowed.

However, this is just a game. I think ppl have taken this too far comparing this to crimes like theft, robbery etc. These are crimes, and they definitely "affect" others. You steal from someone, that person loses what you have stolen from him/her. If you rob a bank, well, that money doesn't just come from nowhere. It's essentially other people's money. As the game currently stands, botting doesn't affect others, and it only benefits the botter. It's a fact. just saying...
Reply Quote
05/05/2014 01:41 PMPosted by Hammerdin
I am famous AMA
Dude, you are famous!
Reply Quote
Just out of curiosity: Do bots influence server/network performance and game stability?

Let's do an easy example:
100 players exist. They play every day with an average of 30 players online and 60 players online during peak times. So we buy a server that can handle 70 players at a time and everything is fine.
Now we introduce bots. Let's say 50% of our players use them, so they won't be offline most of the time. That means our average player count just jumped to 65 and our peak time player count went up to 80 (50% of offline players are now online, too). That means I have to buy a new server or the players will experience lags, login queues, server crashes etc. If I don't buy this server the game is dead. If I do, the game is fine again, but I can't develop new content because I don't have any money left. But players want more content. Okay. Reducing cost by paying less to my employees sounds like a good idea, but really it is not. Reducing quality is a great way to reduce cost, but that's not fun either. So we can make the game more expensive. Yeah, that works. okay, we're good.

So do bots affect me? Yes they do. Even if they don't use more resources than a normal game client would (that's the question at the beginning), just by being online longer than a human player they affect everything.

PS: Of course the numbers are totally off. The effect of bots in Diablo 3 RoS is far less. But it is there.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]