I read the patch notes, saw the Increased Toad of Hugeness damage from 24% to 580% and could not stop laughing.
I hadn't used a WD since RoS came out, but now I had a reason to get someone to level 70.
Things I like about ToH:
1. It is hilarious to see him grab enemies and watch them flail helplessly into his maw; the farther away and larger the enemy, the better.
2.The sound effects are super satisfying.
3. He does some damage now.
4. He is able to swallow the act 1 and act 2 keywardens, which is awesome. He can probably swallow the others as well, but I have not tested them.
5. And that's about it.
List of Things I Don't Like about ToH:
1. If you get him to swallow a goblin (which is somewhat tricky), it DOES NOT stop the goblin's escape timer. I had a goblin today, untargetable inside his belly, and the goblin opened his portal while inside the frog... which is annoying.
2. He sometimes gets his tongue stuck on terrain, leaving him helpless with his giant pink tongue splayed across the map, which is hilarious but completely useless. Not sure whether to call this a bug or a feature.
3. If the enemy dies after he targets them but before he hits them, he will often times just sit there, doing nothing, even when he doesn't get his tongue stuck.
4. Making an enemy untargetable, as has been mentioned, is a mixed bag. Sure, the enemy can't use their annoying abilities, run away, or damage you, but you can't deal any damage (apart from the TOH's) to them either.
5. I'm not sure what happens when he hits something he can't swallow. Does he do any damage at all?
6. He picks his targets at random, it seems. Even if there are enemies he can swallow in range, he sometimes targets one that he can't. On top of that, in one of the caves in act 2, he even targeted one of those little egg cluster things that explode for poison damage when you get close (not the wall mounted guys, the little floor debris ones that aren't monsters at all and as far as I know don't even have HP). I'm sure I've witness pets on other characters target those things too, but it's less annoying when it's your monk's ally or your demon hunter's companion. ToH only gets one shot...
7. He still feels like he should do something more...
My initial thoughts on fixes which correspond numerically with the List of Things I Don't Like:
1. If Blizzard doesn't want him to stop goblin escape timers, don't let him swallow them. Or, better yet, only let him swallow them if the damage is enough to kill the goblin.
5. If he hits an enemy he can't swallow, he immobilizes that enemy and drags himself to their location, clawing them for reduced damage over the normal duration.
7. I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of MF, GF, health globe drop rate buff for enemies that he kills/scores crits against, sort of like Threatening shout: Grim Harvest, only more so as he can only hit a single target. If they give a chance for say, double drops on kill, it would create a fun mini-game where you're always trying to last hit with ToH. Or at least that was my first thought...
After reading this thread, I got to say making Hex overall to be like Mystic Ally and Animal Companion seems to be, by far, the best move.
The drawback is that this might make the classes overall feel less unique.
My ideal toad, once summoned, would hop around following you, providing say +15000 health on globe pickup (because of course he needs to have synergy with Thing of the Deep) and then swallow an enemy on his active, which would be on the same cooldown it currently has.
What would make the witch doctor Hex skill unique would be their much shorter cooldowns compared to Ally and Companion, plus the summons inherently passive nature; they neither attack nor defend, they just follow you around providing an aura buff until activated. I would go through all the other runes for hex, but this post is already long enough.