Diablo® III

is Calamity that good?

can anyone explain to me does the 20% damage buff alot?
Reply Quote
View profile
05/07/2014 10:34 AMPosted by ChanYue
can anyone explain to me does the 20% damage buff alot?

"Enemies that are HIT are marked for death"

/end
Reply Quote
it applies to every target you attack. Yes, it is THAT good.
Reply Quote
It's a free 20% on anything you hit. It's definitely made my runs much easier since getting one. Also helps to get a good roll.
Reply Quote
05/07/2014 10:52 AMPosted by Nrgize
It's a free 20% on anything you hit. It's definitely made my runs much easier since getting one. Also helps to get a good roll.

Not really.

The damage stacks additively with damage from skills such as SA and CtW, and skill bonus damage (stuff like "+15% to Cluster Arrow damage"). So it doesn't just buff your DPS by 20%. Rather it will be responsible for a larger portion of your DPS the fewer of such modifiers you use.

It's counter-intuitive, I know, and a bit disappointing, but it's been tested by people on this forum who didn't even believe their own results.
Edited by Gnillort#1746 on 5/7/2014 10:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It always depresses me seeing people with 100 paragons lower than me with a calamity.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUCK this game drives me insane sometimes. That feeling that I'll never, ever, ever get one no matter how long I play... =(
Reply Quote
05/07/2014 11:01 AMPosted by jim2point0
It always depresses me seeing people with 100 paragons lower than me with a calamity.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUCK this game drives me insane sometimes. That feeling that I'll never, ever, ever get one no matter how long I play... =(
That's fine, I'll probably never ever get a Nat's Slayer however long I play.
Reply Quote

It's disappointing to me to see people with 100 less paragon with 4 piece Maras. All I've gotten are average gloves not worth using because of Tasker and Theo. Sure, I've got a Calamity but no Nats Slayer and effectively Zero Maras. Personally I'd rather have 4 piece Mara's bonus than a Calamity.

I also realized I'm effectively no closer to getting Maras than when I started RoS over a month ago. Odds are no better for pieces dropping for me than they've been since release.... and that's depressing.

But.... I've come to terms with the fact it's going to be a long while before I get Maras 4 piece or a Nats Slayer. I enjoy the hunting. But dang when I keep getting dupes of my Nats pieces or Blackthornes or Shadow pieces it gets frustrating to see those green beams of boots and legs and chest and helm.....
Reply Quote
05/07/2014 11:17 AMPosted by Gnillort

That's fine, I'll probably never ever get a Nat's Slayer however long I play.

Same here. Never dropped a slayer.

I was grouping with a guy that already had one. He dropped another and nobody else wanted it. That same guy gave me the amulet I'm using as well. All the amulets I drop are complete crap.

This game can be so damn unrewarding sometimes.
Edited by jim2point0#1220 on 5/7/2014 11:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/07/2014 11:29 AMPosted by jim2point0
05/07/2014 11:17 AMPosted by Gnillort
...That's fine, I'll probably never ever get a Nat's Slayer however long I play.

Same here. Never dropped a slayer.

I was grouping with a guy that already had one. He dropped another and nobody else wanted it. That same guy gave me the amulet I'm using as well. All the amulets I drop are complete crap.

This game can be so damn unrewarding sometimes.

Dude, your amulet is pretty nice. I have yet to be able to put together an amulet that has elemental physical dmg, cc, and cd. At least you've got your element plus cc+cd.... Only ammy I've gotten that works for that is lightning.
Reply Quote
First weekend of RoS I found 3 pieces marauder's and RRoG after about 5 bounties. Haven't found any pieces after that, all blackthorne's and crap.
Reply Quote
05/07/2014 10:56 AMPosted by Gnillort

Not really.

The damage stacks additively with damage from skills such as SA and CtW, and skill bonus damage (stuff like "+15% to Cluster Arrow damage"). So it doesn't just buff your DPS by 20%. Rather it will be responsible for a larger portion of your DPS the fewer of such modifiers you use.

It's counter-intuitive, I know, and a bit disappointing, but it's been tested by people on this forum who didn't even believe their own results.

Well, thanks for clearing that up a bit. Good to know!
Reply Quote

Not really.

Cull the Weak is multiplicative with everything according to tests done by other forumgoers. Otherwise that info is correct as far as I know
Reply Quote
4 slayers, lots of marauder's .

never seen a calamity drop.
spend 40k blood shards on 1 handers.

i gave up and switched to 2 hander instead <.< Buriza ftw!
rather team up with ppl using calamity then use 1-handers myself.

EU btw.
Edited by Aaapiish#1555 on 5/7/2014 5:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I can attest that Buriza is a beast, most underrated weapon in the game imo.

I have found 9 marauders pieces and a slayer but no Calamity either.
Reply Quote
I keep finding the same pieces. 2x nat helm, chest, boots. 2x marauder helm, chest, legs.

Wheres the legs and shoulders at? T_T
Reply Quote
05/07/2014 11:24 AMPosted by Merlin

It's disappointing to me to see people with 100 less paragon with 4 piece Maras. All I've gotten are average gloves not worth using because of Tasker and Theo. Sure, I've got a Calamity but no Nats Slayer and effectively Zero Maras. Personally I'd rather have 4 piece Mara's bonus than a Calamity.

I also realized I'm effectively no closer to getting Maras than when I started RoS over a month ago. Odds are no better for pieces dropping for me than they've been since release.... and that's depressing.

But.... I've come to terms with the fact it's going to be a long while before I get Maras 4 piece or a Nats Slayer. I enjoy the hunting. But dang when I keep getting dupes of my Nats pieces or Blackthornes or Shadow pieces it gets frustrating to see those green beams of boots and legs and chest and helm.....

That means Calamity is overrated?
Reply Quote
This thread has devolved into a grievance thread for all the people who don't have "xxx" must have legendary...

Getting back on track... Calamity is totally worth it:

1. The MFD bonus buffs both your spenders and generators;
2. It makes you a better asset for multi-player since EVERYONE gets the 20%;
3. If you're so inclined, you can stack/double MFD if you decide to spend one of your skill slots on it. Some guys use it with MFD/MO or MFD/Contagion; and
4. If you're DW a Nats Slayer and Calamity, it makes it so that you don't miss the +% skill damage you could have had with a quiver (although using a quiver is awesome as well)

I'm sure there are more reasons out there and other should add what they think makes Calamity "that good" to this thread...
Edited by Eisenhorn#6230 on 5/7/2014 6:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Calamity is the best weapon in game for a DH.+20% or +40% dmg if you use the ability with the 1hander. It doesn't just enhance your dps, but the groups dps by 40%. Use cull the weak + frost arrow, and you get a +60% (self).

Is calamity any good you ask? It is the best.It's a end game xbow used for higher tired Torments. Soemthing that Danetta can never match.
Reply Quote

Not really.

CtW is multiplicative =)

Also, certain skill bonus damage is actually multiplicative rather than additive (confusing crap, I know.. I was surprised when I did some tests outside of the popular spender/generator skill bonuses). The ones that I have tested to be multiplicative skill bonuses are Sentry and Companion. Would like to test FoK and RoV too, but I'm in lazy mode at the moment :P

Anyway, back on topic; it is indeed a bit counter-intuitive, because it's not a direct *1.2 to all damage, especially when you have other buffs in the same additive buff category, the overall damage increase by adding MfD to the mix will be of a lesser percentage (aka DPS with MfD =/= DPS*1.2 if I also have SA, etc.), but a damage buff is still a damage buff, and it's still a very good way to increase your actual damage output, as well as your party's. (This is more like explaining to others and not to you; I know you understand the concept =) )
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]