Diablo® III

Why only two gender choices?

Blizz is usually pretty good on issues like these, but I'm wondering why the game limits players to a binary gender spectrum during character creation. Modern academic theory has determined its more fluid than anything, and its just...disappointing to see blizz use such an archaic system.
Reply Quote
View profile
Wtf do you want to be, a robot?
Reply Quote
You're ahead of the gaming industry, bud. Most gamers don't play to ponder...

Is this a complaint parody thread? It doesn't seem serious, but Poe's Law...
Reply Quote
05/14/2014 04:13 PMPosted by Dimentio
Blizz is usually pretty good on issues like these, but I'm wondering why the game limits players to a binary gender spectrum during character creation. Modern academic theory has determined its more fluid than anything, and its just...disappointing to see blizz use such an archaic system.

Agreed. I too would like to see a third gender choice. Something along the lines of the character in Dallas Buyers Club.
Reply Quote
Uhh, is it even a gender choice? More like a sex choice.
Reply Quote
View profile
05/14/2014 04:16 PMPosted by IsThatOkay
Please stop. The world isn't some big all accepting free thinking place. It's still dark ages where majority hates everything but white and straight.

Even if a player isn't straight it's not an issue. Blizzard has given us two natural gender choices and if this woman has a shaft then well __________
Edited by TheCondemned#1250 on 5/14/2014 4:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Please no hateful posts
Reply Quote
The gender choice is simply a template for the overall design and not something that dictates how you feel your characters gender is. For instance I main a "female" monk, but I very strongly feel that she is a strong trans warrior who was born with male "parts" but identifies as trans female.
Reply Quote
Second agreed. Although its nice to see any game show something other than gender binary, I would be ecstatic to see a company like Blizzard do that. I would be even more excited about that than when I found my Thunderfury. And they could do it too. Blizz is pretty good at finding strong voice talents, so I don't imagine that it would add that much to the cost, assuming the start designing/writing for the game with that in mind. Trying to shoehorn it into an already made game would obviously cost more. That of course, makes it all the more important to plan ahead for stuff like this.
Reply Quote
View profile
Sooooooo, eh nvm, its not worth it.
Reply Quote
yes, i want a male barb with female breasts, an adam's apple, and surgically altered genitals. blizzard does not believe in equality!
Reply Quote
05/14/2014 04:29 PMPosted by Suedomsa
Sooooooo, eh nvm, its not worth it.
Reply Quote
Only 2 genders exist in the world, male and female, what other third choice is there to choose from??
Reply Quote
Just to be clear, I am not mocking anything.
Reply Quote
This is perhaps the dumbest thing i have yet to read on these forums.

There are only two genders in our species: Male and Female. There are some males who want to be females, and females who want to be males, and some who want to be both and some who want to be neither. That doesn't change the fact that they are a male or female.

What would you propose blizzard change? Physiologically there are differences between men and women due to hormones, etc. A male normally has a larger physique, a deeper voice, facial hair, etc. There are of course exceptions (go go bearded Austrian singers) , but this is the "normal" (statistically dominant... by a HUGE amount) case.

You used the word "archaic", which is perfect because guess what... Diablo 3 is set in an archaic time period.

The troll is either strong in this one, or the OP really is ignorant.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]