Diablo® III

Just some ideas to improve the game. Feedback wanted!

I will probably edit this post a lot to add/remove stuff based on feedback and/or me finding more stuff. Just to make this clear, I'm a very passionate gamer and I love this game. It just needs a few things done right or better to be perfect. At times it's just too frustrating and not fun, not even talking about RNG here.

Gems

* Increase drop chance of Imperial Gems, preferrably with torment.
* Let Torment 4,5,6 drop Flawless Imperial Gems, reduced chance from Rift Guardians. Yes *reduced*, to counter guardian only game spam and make people that like to kill everything in a rift happy.
* Reduce gold cost for crafting gems, increase Death's Breath cost. This is also to give more value to Champion Packs.

Rifts
* Establish a mob density base line, all random is not good.
* Establish an additional legendary drop slot on rift guardians that scales with torment: 1: 0%, 2: 0%, 3: 25%, 4: 50%, 5: 80%, 6: 100%. Playing higher torment has to be more rewarding. There could be a mechanic to only award it to players who have been in the game for x% of the rift.
--- Already announced, see here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12504572275?page=4#69
** Increase blood shard drops based on Torment.
---
* Rifts need to be customizable. This could be handled by buying special Rift Keystones (via normal ones) that open a higher density rift, or ones with a higher magic find but a time limit, or one with more pylons but mobs have more HP, the possibilities are endless!

Reforging
* Cap gold cost after X tries. Make it high but not unlimited.
* Make it possible to reforge secondary stats seperated from primary stats. Why? Seconday stats are cool and I want to use them but I can't. They don't get much attention because you can never use/reforge the ones you want because there will always be a bigger upgrade in reforging the main stat.

Transmogrification
* Let us revert items to their original look, this is currently bugged for some new sets.
* Drop some of the restrictions there currently are. A Crusader for example, should always be able to make his shield look like a Crusader Shield, even if it is not one.

Tooltips
* Many abilities, runes and weapons have totally wrong and misleading tooltips in game which makes a lot of players believe they actually do what is said there when it is not true. Best examples are the "enable all archon runes" set bonus, the condemn sword (will be fixed) and many "Does x on hit" stuff that actually has inner cooldowns that prevent them happening on every hit or scale down with the number of enemies hit. People should be able to see how spells work exactly, even with "Advanced Tooltips" enabled I don't get the information I really need.

Storage
* Another Tab or extra per character storage is needed. Yes, needed. By making so many flavour items with special effects you made sure that players keep all the stuff they find around. Now we just need to be able to. Make it paid if you really need, I would easily pay $10 just for extra storage.
* Rift Keystones should be a currency, like Blood Shards.
--- Already planned, see here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12089889458?page=1#8
** Alternativly let craft mats be currencies like Blood Shards to save space.
---

Trading
*Diablo 3 feels like a single player game right now, even when playing with friends. Some restrictions need to be dropped from trading like Gems, Legendary Craft Mats and items from Caches, Kadala. If you are worried about botters/sellers, put a time limit and group restriction on them, too if you really must. Though there might be a problem with stackables items having different timers then.

Loot
* Treasure Goblins/Pygmy are not as cool as they used to be. They need to drop more interesting stuff. How about a random Legendary Craft Mat, guaranteed Imperial/Flawless Imperial Gems or a Forgotten Soul?

Mechanics
* The group buff needs more range. // Fixed in 2.0.5
* Loot needs more range, especially on Rift Guardians.
* The engine needs a lot of work, the performance is unacceptable for such a game in 2014. Battlefield with 40 players is more fluid then Diablo with 4. "Waiting for information" lag on inventory open or mouseovering people/abilities/buffs/debuffs is game breaking.
* The game needs better disconnect detection, I don't want to redo all my bounties/the rift when I disconnected and was back in the game after 2 seconds.
* Uncap movement speed, it just feels bad and confusing at the moment.
* Add a confirm dialog like boss have upon closing a rift, let it timeout like bosses do. It just happens way to often that someone ninja closes a rift.

Items
* Weapons should always roll a socket. Why? Because you don't use a weapon without a socket, this gameplay is boring and outdated, what *everyone* does with a weapon drop is getting a socket in it and a crit gem. It just makes people sad when they get a really good weapon but it has no socket and you have to remove a good stat to get one. When they always have a socket, every item has the same chance of rolling good or bad, currently only some have a fixed socket roll. 2 Handed Weapons could/should get a second socket to be better balanced.
* Legendaries without a special effect need to either get one or have their value (DPS) boosted, currently they are just useless loot that no-one wants. This counts for crafted legendaries, too.

User Interface
* You should be able to shift click items from chat to re-link them to other channels. Really this is basic and should have been in the game from the start.
* Add option to auto-join community chat channels.
* List items people find on the community page, not only for clans.
* Add a search field to the craft UI.
* Move the display of the clan tag in the friends list from the list item to the tooltip. It's a total cluster !@#$ right now and makes it very hard to find someone by name with all those clan tags there, especially with people being online in a different Blizzard game.
* Add a way to invite people to your clan by BattleTag or RealID so people don't have to add them as friends or be in a game with them.
* Add an option to disable showing loot messages in the clan/community chat.
* Add an option to disable achievement messages in the clan/community chat.
* Add a way to disable toggling certain settings like player health bars via a hotkey, it just happens by accident way too often and many people just want it on or off all the time.
* Add a chat message when a player opens a rift.

Class Specific

Crusader
* One design problem is that we nerf ourselves after a while by getting resource cost reduction via paragon levels which reduces our healing we get from the Wrathful passive. This has to be solved differently our Crusaders on high paragon will just not spend the points in that category.
* Bombardment needs a holy rune. Imagine some divine fist smashing down on your enemies from heaven! // Fixed in 2.0.5
* Increase the range of Provoke

Bugs:
* Akarat Champion's Rally rune effect stops working when the heal to full proc has happened, not sure about the other runes but it is very annoying. // Fixed in 2.0.5
* Heaven's Fury's Fire of Heavens rune does not reduce cooldowns when in Akarat with Rally Rune. // Fixed in 2.0.5
* Any time you receive fatal damage and get the heal to full proc at the exact same instant, there is a high chance that you don't get a respawn button and have to relog which is extremly annoying when playing alone because your rift and bountie progress dies along with you. // Fixed in 2.0.5
* Laws of Justice's Bravery rune does only work on yourself and not on the group contrary to what the tooltip text states.
* Shield Bash hits *behind* the target, therefore often not doing any damage at all. // Fixed in 2.0.5
Edited by Stan#2389 on 5/13/2014 5:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hah, neat, Grimiku just announced that Blood Shards drop amount will soon scale with torment! One issue gone :) http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12504572275?page=4#69
Reply Quote
nice list, just not the reduced chance of Flawless Imperial Gems from Rift Guardians unless they drop a guaranteed forgotten soul.
Reply Quote
They should enable trade on an item-only basis and have a designated in-game area where hundreds could flock too. It would be a large area and would be cluster!@#$ but it would be rather interesting and better then a chat system. I also feel its a great way to show off gear for bragging rights cause right now that aspect feel unrewarding.
Reply Quote
04/25/2014 06:58 PMPosted by Stan
Drop some of the restrictions there currently are. A Crusader for example, should always be able to make his shield look like a Crusader Shield, even if it is not one.

Thiiiiiiis. I agree with pretty much all of your suggestions, but this one in particular drives me nuts. :P

* Treasure Goblins/Pygmy are not as cool as they used to be. They need to drop more interesting stuff. How about a random Legendary Craft Mat, guaranteed Imperial/Flawless Imperial Gems or a Forgotten Soul?

Another great suggestion. Right now Treasure Goblins are either "They dropped a Leg!" or "They dropped garbage." This would help make them more worthwhile, even if they don't drop the jackpot setpiece we're hoping for.
Reply Quote
04/25/2014 09:12 PMPosted by Highres
Another great suggestion. Right now Treasure Goblins are either "They dropped a Leg!" or "They dropped garbage." This would help make them more worthwhile, even if they don't drop the jackpot setpiece we're hoping for.

Yeah indeed, I want to be excited again when I see one!
Reply Quote
I just added 2 new items to the list:

* Rifts need to be customizable. This could be handled by buying special Rift Keystones (via normal ones) that open a higher density rift, or ones with a higher magic find but a time limit, or one with more pylons but mobs have more HP, the possibilities are endless!

* Legendaries without a special effect need to either get one or have their value (DPS) boosted, currently they are just useless loot that no-one wants. This counts for crafted legendaries, too.
Reply Quote
Updated. Keep the Feedback coming, guys! :)
Reply Quote
Class: Remake monk
Reply Quote
* Laws of Justice's Bravery rune does only work on yourself and not on the group contrary to what the tooltip text states.
Reply Quote
* Shield Bash hits *behind* the target, therefore often not doing any damage at all.
Reply Quote
* Make it possible to reforge secondary stats seperated from primary stats. Why? Seconday stats are cool and I want to use them but I can't. They don't get much attention because you can never use/reforge the ones you want because there will always be a bigger upgrade in reforging the main stat.

Except for the fact that you've just turned every Monk item into 4 primary stat with 140-160 all resist for a negligible cost and given them access to 1500-1700 free all resist with no drawback.

Why is this even an issue? Before loot 2.0, items rolled 6 completely random stats. Now you only have to worry about 4 stats, with 1 or 2 of them being tailored for your class (most of the time), and you even get to reroll one of them. This is Diablo, not World of CasualsCraft.
Edited by Arkanian#1101 on 5/1/2014 2:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/01/2014 01:58 PMPosted by Arkanian
Except for the fact that you've just turned every Monk item into 4 primary stat with 140-160 all resist for a negligible cost and given them access to 1500-1700 free all resist with no drawback.

Why is this even an issue? Before loot 2.0, items rolled 6 completely random stats. Now you only have to worry about 4 stats, with 1 or 2 of them being tailored for your class (most of the time), and you even get to reroll one of them. This is Diablo, not World of CasualsCraft.

Could make the exception that resist is special? The intention was not to nerf/buff anything just to give a better use to FUN stats like pickup range and so forth.
Edited by Stan#2389 on 5/1/2014 4:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
* Cap gold cost after X tries.

The whole idea behind enchanting is that it is a gold sink. It is intended to keep you looking for better gear. If you can keep the gold cost at x amount then it is not much of a gold sink now is it. I would say that then what you need to do is find better gear or find gear that has similar stats to the piece you have then start the process again until you get what you want.

*Diablo 3 feels like a single player game right now, even when playing with friends. Some restrictions need to be dropped from trading like Gems, Legendary Craft Mats and items from Caches, Kadala. If you are worried about botters/sellers, put a time limit and group restriction on them, too if you really must. Though there might be a problem with stackables items having different timers then.

Trading could make a return but if it does then it needs to be in such a way where it does not impact those that want to play self found. All of us do not want to be stuck playing a trading simulator. The way trading should come back is in a way that will still make it where playing the game is the best way of getting gear along with slowing down third party sites.

* The engine needs a lot of work, the performance is unacceptable for such a game in 2014. Battlefield with 40 players is more fluid then Diablo with 4. "Waiting for information" lag on inventory open or mouseovering people/abilities/buffs/debuffs is game breaking.

Lag and rubberbanding is something that happens in all arpgs due to how the game client communicates with the server. You have three different ways of doing it.

1. Trust the client: This is good for a quick response but allows cheating and I do not think that Blizz would use this method.

2. Wait until the server says yes, which a lot of MOBA's and RTS games do. This means that when you click to move the unit will not move until the server says yes 50 to 250ms later. If you are close to the server you get use to the lag and it does not bother you. But when you have a single unit and you are further away it looks like you are playing drunk. So this method is not affective and will not be used by arpgs.

3. The results of actions are predicted by the client. Then when the server gives it's information the results are added in. This is what all arpgs use for their client to server communications because it gives instant response. Now when the server says that the results couldn't have happened then is when the resync code kicks in and corrects the problem. This results in rubberbanding. What Blizz might need to do is the improve their resync code where it can detect things quicker and respond quicker. Even though it might mean a little bit more rubberbanding, but the rubberbanding is actually what is fixing the problem it is idea to have some rubberbanding in an online game.

If you want more just go to PoE's homepage. Then go to the forums section and then to the development manifesto section and you will see a thread title Client Synchronization. This is where I learned the above from. Sorry if it is not 100% accurate though

* Add a confirm dialog like boss have upon closing a rift, let it timeout like bosses do. It just happens way to often that someone ninja closes a rift.

I got an even better idea make it where only owner of the rift can close it. Or even make it a group thing where everyone has to agree to close a rift. Of course this is only good in multiplayer. Single player you can just decide not to talk to Orek.

* Weapons should always roll a socket. Why? Because you don't use a weapon without a socket, this gameplay is boring and outdated, what *everyone* does with a weapon drop is getting a socket in it and a crit gem. It just makes people sad when they get a really good weapon but it has no socket and you have to remove a good stat to get one. When they always have a socket, every item has the same chance of rolling good or bad, currently only some have a fixed socket roll.

Some weapons that roll without a socket will roll with a useless affix like area damage.

Sorry but I like the fact that not all legendaries have pretty orange text. It serves two purposes, A.) it makes them unique among other legendaries that do have that text, B.) It makes it so some builds are not required to have legendary named x in slot y just to be at their best. What I am saying with B is that if all legendaries had pretty orange text then you might need your slots filled with certain named legendaries to have your best gear making that build more gear dependent than it should be. There should always be a few slots per build that you have some wiggle room as far as gear to choose from.
Reply Quote
Transmogrification
* Let us revert items to their original look.

Transmorg already has this ability. If you have an item it is in your Transmorg library. If you change the look and then later you decide to change it back to it's original design you can do so at no cost.
Reply Quote
05/04/2014 06:17 AMPosted by Ijessfarded
Transmogrification
* Let us revert items to their original look.

Transmorg already has this ability. If you have an item it is in your Transmorg library. If you change the look and then later you decide to change it back to it's original design you can do so at no cost.

This is currently bugged for some sets, I need to change the text to actually say that.
Reply Quote
You might as well be talking to a plant. At least plants enjoy being talked to. The devs don't care and don't want suggestions.
Reply Quote
View profile
05/04/2014 05:02 PMPosted by Raider
You might as well be talking to a plant. At least plants enjoy being talked to. The devs don't care and don't want suggestions.

So you are mad because they did not make this game for you personally huh.
Reply Quote
I'm very happy to see that a lot of those ideas have been adressed in 2.0.5!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]