Diablo® III

What is up with these numbers?!

So, i,ve got 517k damage listed, not using sharpshooter or any other artifical inflation. my wolf hits for 150% weapon damage and does 1.5 - 2 million crits. So why is it, all my attacks with damage % higher than 150% are hitting for MUCH less! My bola shot which is listed 160% 10 more than wolves crits for 700 - 1 million? my cluster arrow at 550% hits for 4 million, that's well under the amount it should do. I sat and worked it all out, my wolves do the correct amount, the rest is well below what it should be doing. WHY!?
Reply Quote
Are you 100% sure you're not comparing your high end pet crits to your low end Bola/Cluster Arrow crits? These things can have quite large variances so it's not uncommon that they might overlap like that.
Reply Quote
05/10/2014 09:25 AMPosted by PurpleFantum
So, i,ve got 517k damage listed, not using sharpshooter or any other artifical inflation. my wolf hits for 150% weapon damage and does 1.5 - 2 million crits. So why is it, all my attacks with damage % higher than 150% are hitting for MUCH less! My bola shot which is listed 160% 10 more than wolves crits for 700 - 1 million? my cluster arrow at 550% hits for 4 million, that's well under the amount it should do. I sat and worked it all out, my wolves do the correct amount, the rest is well below what it should be doing. WHY!?

You haven't factored in attack-speed. Attack speed on your gear doesn't change how fast your wolves attack -- they always attack once per second (unless you have tasker and theo), but it does change how fast you shoot your bolas and so on. So since your attack speed doesn't change how fast your wolves attack, it just increases the wolves' damage per hit by a flat percentage. That's why your wolves are hitting for harder than your bolas, because they get a boost from the attack speed on your gear.
Reply Quote
That doesn't explain how the maths on all attacks is doing less than it should, like cluster arrow doing a tiny 4 million high end crit. and no, my pets high end crit is 2 million, my high end crit is 1, low end is 700 for me 1.5 for my wolves. so big big difference.
Reply Quote
05/10/2014 09:44 AMPosted by PurpleFantum
That doesn't explain how the maths on all attacks is doing less than it should, like cluster arrow doing a tiny 4 million high end crit. and no, my pets high end crit is 2 million, my high end crit is 1, low end is 700 for me 1.5 for my wolves. so big big difference.

I dunno dude, I think you're thinking that you should be doing more damage than your gear allows. Looking at your gear, those numbers sound right to me.
Reply Quote
302% crit damage, 7200 dex, 2445 damage bow. Is that really so bad i take a small age killing things on master? My mage has simular stats 666k dps and can solo T3 rifts, in good time, she's even finished a T6.
Reply Quote
Oh, I actually forgot about the whole deal with attack speed interaction with pet attacks, that would probably explain it I guess.

If I'm not mistaken, your pets attack at a constant 1 attack per second. However there must be a way for them to benefit from IAS on your gear. The game can't do this by making them attack faster since they attack at a flat rate, so it instead makes up that damage by making your pet attacks hit harder so you gain the same damage increase overall.

So if you are basing your estimation of 150% weapon damage's worth of damage on your pet's crits, it is probably inflated in a sense. It might be that your Bolas and Cluster Arrows are actually doing the correct damage, while the numbers you are seeing from pets are artificially high due to how they interact with IAS.

Basically if your attack speed is greater than 1.0 then your pet's crits are going to look artificially large in relation to your non pet attacks. At least I think that should be the case...
Edited by Myon#1319 on 5/10/2014 10:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
So... getting the set that gives you every single pet and the three wolves, then bumping up your attack speed, would actually give you better damage than just straight up normal attacks.
Reply Quote
Well, it's not like IAS has an extra benefit to pets or something, it just applies to pets in a different way.

1. You have a normal shot that hits for 150%, if you have 10% IAS you can fire it 10% faster which will let you do more damage.

2. You have a pet that hits for 150%, if you get 10% IAS, it cannot give you this increase in the form of the pet attacking 10% faster since they attack at a set rate. So instead the game makes each attack hit harder to compensate.

The net result is the same, it's like hitting 10 times for 4 damage = 40, or 8 times for 5 damage = 40, that kind of thing. It's not just about how big the numbers you see are, but how many times those numbers are actually hitting per second, damage per second is what matters and not just highest crits.
Reply Quote
you gear is why your cas and bolas, hit that low, ca is very dependent on fire% and ca% and from i can tell on a quick glance your are at 0%/0% in that catagory.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]