Diablo® III

T6 Viable Cold Wiz, Please MOVE to WIZ SECTION

Introducing Glacial Shards

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/ckbrah1954 (T6 Bounties ATM, sry for the lag)

Build: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aQNjSO!ZWdb!ZaZZcc

Hey all, I will be making a guide on a new survival mechanic and a T6 viable cold build I have been experimenting. I am able to run T6 rifts and bounties with efficiency with this build at 1.3m dps, 87% Cold, 2.15 APS, 38% Elite % DMG Reduction, 45% Elite DMG, 170k HP, 23k Healing and 5m Toughness. Due to life and some of the brand new approach taken in this build, this will be a work in progress guide thread. Please see below for content. It will be updated daily.

If you have any questions for the moment or like to find out more about this build, please see me in game: CKBrah#1954

Rethink the Usual

I have been experimenting different builds for T6 in the past few weeks, and there was always several issues that arise. The biggest one is survivability. The conventional way of achieving max toughness and survival is through stacking AR, armor, and HP. But the key issue here is sustainability. You might be able to take in alot of dmg, but you wont be able to for long. Over the past few weeks, I came up with a new survival mechanic that would possibly alter future wiz gearing. So lets take a look at this new approach and some of the keys elements of this cold build.

Survival Mechanic
Instead of stacking toughness, I think the best way to survive T6 is through mitigation, avoidance, healing, and crowd control.
a. Mitigation - focus on elilte % dmg reduction, and skills..
b. Avoidance - through skills and range.
c. Healing - through paragon points and gear.
d. Crowd control - through skills and follower.

Require Items
1. Shard of Hate - combined with MM, for an extremely high proc chance.
2. Mirrorball - 3 Glacial Spikes

New Stat Focus
1. Attack Speed - Increases shielding, healing, dmg, CC, animation fluidity. The most important stat for this build. Aim for 2.00 +APS.
2. Elite % DMG Reduction - The #1 thing that results in death is elite affix and dmg, reduce this by a large % amount, and you will find yourself having a MUCH easier time.
3. LOH - MM combined with high APS will give you a ton of healing. Get it from paragon.
4. Life Regen - Get it from Paragon.

Skills & Alternatives

LMB - Magic Missile (Glacial Spike)
RMB - Teleport (Safe Passage)
1 - Black Hole (Absolute Zero)
2 - Familiar (Icicle) / Frost Nova (Bone Chill)
3 - Magic Weapon (Deflection)
4 - Energy Armor (Prismatic Armor)

more to come...

Equipments & Setups

Coming Soon....
Edited by CKbrah#1954 on 5/5/2014 6:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Reserved
Reply Quote
Reserved
Reply Quote
....how long did it take you to run t6 with this build?....this is not effective at all
Reply Quote
05/03/2014 05:49 PMPosted by Spacter
....how long did it take you to run t6 with this build?....this is not effective at all

That's entirely dependent on rift density, anywhere from 10-20 min.

And I would not make such statement unless you actually tried it.
Reply Quote
Moonlight Ward, Wand of Woh, String of Ears, level 70 SoJ, great Mirrorball... all with good rolls. We all have that stuff lying around................ Once you have all that gear you can easily try several other T6 viable builds which are all better than a cold build. Good luck getting those items though.
Reply Quote
05/03/2014 06:10 PMPosted by FrogSandwich
Moonlight Ward, Wand of Woh, String of Ears, level 70 SoJ, great Mirrorball... all with good rolls. We all have that stuff lying around................ Once you have all that gear you can easily try several other T6 viable builds which are all better than a cold build. Good luck getting those items though.

I have tried all the other builds including:

Vyr Archon
AT Archon
Dist
MM Conflag
WoW Arcane / Fire
WoW MM Conflag

so far, I like this one the best. Saying which are all better than the cold build is not true at all. This is coming from my experience since I have all the gear and tried all the builds with the best gear in the game atm.
Reply Quote
View profile
05/03/2014 05:51 PMPosted by CKbrah
05/03/2014 05:49 PMPosted by Spacter

I've run with you and I can say you're viable :D
Reply Quote
05/03/2014 06:24 PMPosted by InvidGurab72
05/03/2014 05:51 PMPosted by CKbrah

I've run with you and I can say you're viable :D

lol thx bud! I was using Arcane Melee, I might stream that from time to time.

But the biggest weakness of this build is probably facing massive amount of enemies full screen and environmental dmg like freeze door, plant explosions, hell fires....
Reply Quote
I tested similar build long time ago not new at alll and it's boring
Reply Quote
Does + cold damage affect the skulls? What's SoH internal cooldown?
Reply Quote
05/03/2014 07:37 PMPosted by Sixen

No you did not.

05/03/2014 08:12 PMPosted by StarchCraft
Does + cold damage affect the skulls? What's SoH internal cooldown?

yes cold dmg, dmg modifier, everything. ICD I don't know, but it procs almost every hit, even aboslute zero procs it.
Reply Quote
What about using blizzard as one of the skills?
Reply Quote
05/03/2014 08:26 PMPosted by Zartuc
What about using blizzard as one of the skills?

u could replace frost nova / icicle with blizzard, but I find those two more useful.
Reply Quote
Thoughts on Azurewrath over SoH? I'd have to go review the math thread, but I want to say it would be a dps increase, and you'd pick up another defensive mechanic in the passive of the weapon.
Reply Quote
Frostburns will prolly help you out here. IMHO they are the most OP gloves in the game.

70(50) Demon Hunter
Edited by Sullivan#2519 on 5/4/2014 12:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/04/2014 12:16 AMPosted by Infectious
Thoughts on Azurewrath over SoH? I'd have to go review the math thread, but I want to say it would be a dps increase, and you'd pick up another defensive mechanic in the passive of the weapon.

not even close, SOH is close to 25% of ur total dps. Defense is not a problem, the focus is CC and burst dmg.

05/04/2014 12:23 AMPosted by Sullivan
Frostburns will prolly help you out here. IMHO they are the most OP gloves in the game.

correct, I would use them if I could, but the problem is it has to roll native CC or CD, or I sacrifice too much DPS. The freeze effect is over hyped, I already have mobs frozen most of the time from icicle, frost nova, and glacial spike, it's never a problem. The freeze is only 0.5 secs, quick dimishing return on elites, and barely noticeable.
Edited by CKbrah#1954 on 5/4/2014 1:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks, will try it out on my main account
Reply Quote
05/04/2014 12:23 AMPosted by Sullivan

70(50) Demon Hunter

I have 4 account ROFL!
I multibox and it's my trolling account!
Reply Quote
I tried something like this out a while ago as well. I love the amount of freezing you get off triple glacial spike, but I kill faster with eb/conflag w/ woh. I'm definitely on board with the crowd control approach to T6, though.

I went with eb/conflag w/ woh to kill faster, and then in order to get a satisfactory level of crowd control I went with a duplicates + event horizon + bone chill approach, which is very strong against most things, but does fall down a bit against stuff which is immune to black hole (though the duplicates + bone chill still freezes a fair amount).

Just to remind myself, I switched back to a build like the one the OP is using. It is definitely viable, but I have 40% less cold damage than I do fire damage from gear, which isn't likely to change soon. Even if I had that cold damage, it is doubtful that I'd kill as fast as I do with eb/conflag. I kill faster in T6 with eb/conflag than I do in T5 with this build. I do love the freeze though.

A question for the OP: why not duplicates? The duplicates' glacial spikes freeze guys too, and then of course their frost nova and black hole are huge control as well. If you're going to focus on crowd control it seems a logical choice.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]