Diablo® III

T6 Viable Cold Wiz, Please MOVE to WIZ SECTION

05/05/2014 08:40 AMPosted by Dropsy
05/05/2014 08:11 AMPosted by CKbrah

list the gear u used when u tried this build.

CKBrah - why 3 cains when you have the ring?

2 is enough, I just can't seem to find a better gloves / boots, unless iceclimbers drop.

and I value 8% ias > any 500 int bounus, fire bird or vyr can provide.
Reply Quote
05/05/2014 07:48 AMPosted by CKbrah
Azurewrath has no where near the potential that SOH does for couple reasons.
1. It cannot roll IAS and intellect at the same time. and IAS is incredibly important for this build.
2. the + cold dmg is not a direct % dmg increase. It's based on the overall cold dmg% gear that u have, for example if u have 80% cold dmg already with a base dmg of 1000, ur doing 1800 dmg, adding 20% more to cold dmg, ur doing 2000 dmg, that's (2000-1800) / 1800 = 11.11% dmg increase.
3. SOH procs is over 100% and here is why, Glacial spike procs on almost every hit, a good 70-80% of the time, u forgot to add absolute zero, which also procs it 2-3 times, and frozen nova 1-2 times. The burst u can do with SOH during a blackhole + FN lock down is absolutely insane.
4. SOH Proc pierces
5. Azurewrath's freeze effect is only 0.5 secs, and already diminishes at the same time with glacial spike freeze, FN, and icicle, it's pretty useless.

[/quote]

1. Good point that Azurewrath has 1 less primary than SOH, since the SOH proc comes as a secondary whereas Azure's cold damage comes as a primary. Although post %damage fix I think that's going to be better than IAS.
2. Also good point, and add in the fact that all your bonuses apply in full to the SOH proc. I did some more research and found that it can be increased, unlike TF's proc.
3. Yeah, once I found that it doesn't really have an internal cooldown and you can get it more than once per second the foundation of my point went out the window.
4. Pierce vs more aoe damage around the glacial spike... I'll concede that pierces is probably more relevant.
5. I had no idea elites had a cc diminishing return mechanic! Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Reply Quote
05/05/2014 08:11 AMPosted by CKbrah
05/05/2014 08:01 AMPosted by Magoom
Boss dps/ trash clearing, everything is just slower, math is math and it looks even good on paper...but when i run that builds fire is way much better/faster.

list the gear u used when u tried this build.

Cold: andariel20 cold/aeughilds wrists 20 cold/tal rash amu(same as the one in profile just with 20 cold), SOJ 19 cold/30 elite, tal rash chest, SOH with 2360 dps and 700 int/ frostburn 15 cold, 10 cc, 49 cd. and i belive thats all the diffrences compared to my items in profile,
Reply Quote
^^^

u NEED CDR gem on helm and shoulders, and evocation.
U can't use aug bracers, u need strongarm bracers, since they are knocked back almost 100% of the time,
u NEED magic missle dmg, u can't expect frost to do the same dmg if u don't havve magic missle, most of the dmg is direct, while fire u mostly rely on dots over a long period of time...
Reply Quote
I did use for testing tal rash with socket and andariel with lower cold % and socket too.
Strongarm bracer were included in my test too, the thing is u loose way to much when u do not have aeughild set bonus or blackthorn. Having blackhole up most of the time is nice..but again not worth sacrifice so much stats, if u want playing around cdr -archon makes it a lot better (and its way better then any MM build too).
And yet i do not talk about single missle dmg, since it is with my gear almost the same , but the way the work its nowhere near efficiency that fire MM gives u (and yet with fire u got black hole up all the time aswell).

U compare the numbers on MM not speed of clearing t6 rifts...so the thing u should do as i did...go few t6 rifts and clear them with cold and then fire. I had way less issues with fire and made it a lot faster (sorry i do not provide numbers).
Reply Quote
05/05/2014 12:52 PMPosted by Magoom
I did use for testing tal rash with socket and andariel with lower cold % and socket too.
Strongarm bracer were included in my test too, the thing is u loose way to much when u do not have aeughild set bonus or blackthorn. Having blackhole up most of the time is nice..but again not worth sacrifice so much stats, if u want playing around cdr -archon makes it a lot better (and its way better then any MM build too).
And yet i do not talk about single missle dmg, since it is with my gear almost the same , but the way the work its nowhere near efficiency that fire MM gives u (and yet with fire u got black hole up all the time aswell).

U compare the numbers on MM not speed of clearing t6 rifts...so the thing u should do as i did...go few t6 rifts and clear them with cold and then fire. I had way less issues with fire and made it a lot faster (sorry i do not provide numbers).

I am not sure what u just said, but u should be runnning aughilds at all times... along with strongarm, and I don't find blackthornes that useful at all, I rather take 8 ias and 15% magic missle dmg.

and I did run two T6 rifts with similar density, and finished about the same time, with fire killing boss faster, and cold killing elite packs faster.
Reply Quote
i end debate here, when i see som1 posting that +8 ias is better then blackthorn bonus...
Reply Quote
05/05/2014 01:47 PMPosted by Magoom
i end debate here, when i see som1 posting that +8 ias is better then blackthorn bonus...

that's correct, we have different opinions, for this build I find 15% MM and 8 ias more useful.

and why is this thread moved to stream....it's a guide, the stream is only for reference.
Edited by CKbrah#1954 on 5/5/2014 6:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Having been trying OP's ingenious build in Asian server for two days, I'd say it's more than meets the eye. Although my gears still need some tweaks, the idea underlying this build have really shifted my thinking on wizard, and definitely haven given me tons of fun. On the other hand, people who underestimates this build, though mentioned several times above, may have overlooked the attack speed, which is the most crucial factor here. More speed = more shield + more LoH + more burst damage when combined with Bone Chill, Absolute Zero and Strongarm.

Besides, I have changed the Prismatic Armor to Force Armor in order to enhance the survivability to the extremely high damage single hit, given that the absolute toughness tends to be a bit too low in this set.

OP please continue updating this thread, even if it had been moved to an irrelevant section... This is undoubtedly my favorite build now.
Edited by cadenza#1338 on 5/8/2014 4:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]