Diablo® III

Frozen pulse

Blizzard Employee
04/29/2014 06:44 AMPosted by Volsong
Disco ball effect.

You're welcomed. =)

Ship it.

Seriously, though, there are some cool and interesting ideas in this thread.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
04/28/2014 06:51 PMPosted by Grimiku
Since we're on the subject, though, how would you change the Frozen Pulse animation so it doesn't get lost in battle?
I recall that Frozen Pulse had a blue/white line along the Z axis that showed where the effect was when it started pulsing. This for some reason got changed when Reaper of Souls came out. Adding this back may be a sufficient visual indicator.

Edit: Something like this (http://i.imgur.com/fJBfist.png) but far more intense.
Edited by Interest#1473 on 4/29/2014 12:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think a much more pronounced circle on the ground that had a hemispherical bubble implode slowly collapsed on the frozen shard (the shard growing larger as it does now). Once the sphere collapsed on itself, the shard explodes as normal.
Reply Quote
Give it a white beacon, like the legendary beacon except it's white and follows it around.
Reply Quote
When frozen pulse is chasing someone it should leave a trail behind it that does no damage but makes it easier to see. Something similar to the fat guys in Act 5 that have frozen attacks that leave a trail on the ground.

When it's pulsing, it should throw off a bunch of ice shards, and there should be a ring around it that also pulses to show that damage radius.
Reply Quote
Didn't read through the whole thread so I don't know if this has been said, but my main issue with frozen pulse is that it always places itself behind your character, so it's hard to see it. It would be better if it put itself infront of it.
Reply Quote
I've had more than one Frozen Pulse get lost in the chaos of battle, and show up right over my head when I thought I was safe. I've got a feeling that a lot of players have had a similar experience, so I'd be happy to pass this along.

Since we're on the subject, though, how would you change the Frozen Pulse animation so it doesn't get lost in battle?

please make the mouse cursor more visable in combat maybe give it a red aura when over mobs, as it stands I always loose it in the flash of animations and heavy density and I use it to target mobs and its a pain sometimes
Reply Quote
View profile
reduce skill effect clutter, then up the max players to 6 while your at it ;)
Reply Quote

http://thelatest.co.uk/7/files/2010/12/Holiday-on-Ice_Energia_Supernova.jpg
http://cdn.superbwallpapers.com/wallpapers/fantasy/supernova-25884-400x250.jpg

That, or both in combination.

Or on a more serious note, it could descend on the player in small swirling versions of the current one, spiraling inwards over say 2-3 seconds, culminating into what it currently is, giving you plenty of visual warning about what is going on.
Reply Quote

Change to like crystal "rainbow" effect or looking through frost covered windows.
Reply Quote
To the Question of what to do to Frozen Pulse to make it easier to see... how about have it hover above target as is done with the lightning pulse that certain monsters cast in Act 5 (sry, don't know their names). It's easy to see that lightning orb hovering above.

Many of the effects and monsters are lost in battle. Wizards and WDs casting, Monks sweeping wind/cyclone strikes, etc.. I was in a game last night and most of the time during battles I couldn't see where the enemies were! (MAYBE add a red or colored ring at the feet of enemies to make them easier to pick out in the midst of effects? -- but adding another effect to the chorus of effects may not be the best idea)

The Wiz's meteor shower is especially hard to see thru when there are all kinds of other effects like Mirror Image w/Slow Time!! ADD to that a WD with a horde of pets while spamming Firebats:Cloud of Bats and Acid Clouds.

I died several times just because I couldn't see certain attacks, like Frozen Pulse, hitting me.

It's obviously quite appealing to the caster to see a grand effect -- it certainly is to me -- but with so many effects and monsters crowded together in battles these effects hamper game play.

As I sat looking at the screen last night, the idea that we should be able to tone-down (other player's) effects being displayed on our screens was obvious. I don't know how this could be implemented in a way that is aesthetically pleasing... but something needs to be done.

I don't know how someone playing HC deals w/ this issue.. what a shame it would be to lose a high lvl char because you couldn't see what was happening on your screen.

ps.. I also frequently lose my cursor, due to all the effects, during large battles.. some way to make it standout more would be a good idea. The little sword icon is ridiculously easy to lose/miss amidst other effects.
Edited by lunaticprpht#1762 on 4/29/2014 1:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
As a partially color blind person, a way to simplify ground effects would be wonderful.

I lost a HC WD to... truth be told I don't know, it just killed me. I didn't see it. There was stuff everywhere in that rift. Probably arcane beams, I can never seem to see those.

I really do like the "glowey edge of screen when standing in negative effects" idea.
Reply Quote
I've had more than one Frozen Pulse get lost in the chaos of battle, and show up right over my head when I thought I was safe. I've got a feeling that a lot of players have had a similar experience, so I'd be happy to pass this along.

blizzard could just make some blue kind of Scourge proc when an elite casts frozen pulse http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/scourge
Edited by Çow#1467 on 4/29/2014 1:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes the cursor also needs a contrasting outline. The reson we lose the frozen pulse and the cursor is the same problem, they are both 100% white. CONTRAST CONTRAST CONTRAST. You don't have to go re-inventing the wheel. The fix is SUPER SIMPLE.
Reply Quote
Here is a problem for me with Frozen Pulse/Frozen affix.

In snow rifts, when you get a Nephalim glory globe, your char gets a white glow at the bottom of your feet.

The frostbombs/freeze pulse is incredibly hard to see with the snow terrain.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue

Adding back debuffs would be a great start, I cannot stress enough the amount of times I got frozen, because he was lost under all my tornados.
Reply Quote

There used to be a blue pulsing beam back in the pre-expansion patch. That was fine for me.

While related on the subject, I find Frozen (not pulse) very hard to see underneath all the other effects like molten, plague, desecrate. Also very hard to see in the sewers tile set when the ground is kinda blueish. Also when they explode, they leave a blue glow on the ground which makes the next wave very hard to see as well. The orb is too small and the blue glow (the important part) has too much alpha. Can we make the orb bigger and the blue glow more opaque?
Reply Quote
Just needs a little vertical blue beam sort of like on a legendary, only shorter and blue. So you can see it sticking out over the mob's heads.
Reply Quote
I would probably put frozen pulse as a ground affect with it pulsing brighter and brighter till it explodes. that way, you can see the blue/ice as it's on the ground in a small radius like plague/poison and desecrate ground affects.
Reply Quote
I guess I should mention orbiter in this thread. Often the small orbs can be hard to see in large clusters of monsters.

Id simply suggest raising the orbs to tower over most mobs and extend the lightning rod effect/graphic underneath the orbs to touch the ground from a high elevation.

As far as frozen pulse goes id change the graphic to appear more like a pillar similar to the flame leviathan freeze pillar from "wow - ulduar" so it can clearly be seen even when mobs are standing in it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]