Diablo® III

Stutter Stepping Advice Needed

With the numbers I have I knew that the biggest thing holding me back was my play style (stand still & shoot) so yesterday I started trying stutter stepping. Right now Torment 1 is pretty easy but it just doesnt feel like I'm doing it right.

I rebinded my keys (check my profile)

Force stop - space
Force move - Mouse 4

I watched some videos on it (Thanks DIEoxide) but still am not feeling like I am doing it the way it should be done.

Any advice on key binding or techniques would be appreciated.
Reply Quote
DiEoxidE is great at stutter stepping and his video really kind of is canon at this point.

I do have a slightly different way of achieving the stutter step and it requires a little bit less thought and is easier in my opinion.

Most people Stutter step using their character as the center of their attention, moving the mouse cursor relative to that point on an axis.

So what happens here for most is that you move your mouse cursor in FRONT of your character to your target, cross back THROUGH your character for a backwards or sideways step. I almost never do a backwards step because:
#1) Missiles still travel in straight lines and you aren't avoiding them
#2) Monsters charging at you will still very possibly hit you if you aren't fast enough (charging bulls, etc).

Because of this, I do what I might call an "Arc Stutter"

Instead of using my character as the centerpoint of my stutter, I use the mob pack I'm targetting or at least that direction.

I right click or shift+click attack the group, then move my mouse in an arc (imagine there were a large circle on your screen, follow it in one direction or another) and click in a target direction. I basically walk circles around the mob while killing it. This eliminates missiles hitting me and any charging mobs. It also achieves the stepping I want and repositions me as I wish. i hope this helps!
Reply Quote
I also use the arc technique oscars describing, its very effective. the pattern also makes the groups lump together at times. Personally I actually swapped the traditional position of the spender and generator (if applicable), i use:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#Qa!!Yc

it allows you to use your generator with less effort. Then you can use the Shift+Click stepping method with your spender. Give guided arrow a try too ^.^ it makes life much easier, its a very forgiving stutter stepping skill, same with multishot's wide arc.
Reply Quote
FYI - You need more DPS and DPS multipliers (elemental and/or % to elites), but you have the toughness and sustain to do T4 easily. One thing I would change ASAP is to add Vault to your skills, probably with the Action Shot rune. In addition to stutter stepping, you can use the Rattling Roll effect from your bow to nearly perma stun single targets (champs/bosses). You just fire a couple shots, Tumble through them and repeat until done. I find it extremely effective when playing solo or without a tank. Tumble is also a wonderful effeciency booster due to the added mobility. Finally, when solo, I would recommend using the Templar instead of the Scoundrel, but I see yours is completely ungeared. The heals and, more importantly, his ability to hold aggro, are very helpful. A little extra hatred never hurt either.
Reply Quote
Do you feel that you need to use the Force Move button? I know some players use it, but it over complicates the matter using three buttons instead of two.

I just use my stand-your-ground button (F key) and LMB to step with my generator, and I just use LMB and RMB to step with Multishot.

I really haven't run into any issues by not using the force move button.
Reply Quote
Thank you all for your advice !! Having seen most of your names in the forums (am an avid reader since I am still a Noob LOL), I know that you are very wise in the way of the Demon Hunter ..

@Oscar & Tasty - I hadn't heard of the "Arc Stutter" sounds like it should be quite doable - question tho .. how do you have your keys binded .. I've only been playing D3 since December so I am not overly attached to my set up .. lol .. mostly looking for comfort & ease

@Tasty - I am definetely going to change my primary & secondary .. most Excellant suggestion .. question .. I looked for "guided arrow" under all the primary & secondary skills and could not locate that one

@AZ .. which skill would you change out .. I was actually leaning towards doing away w/ CA maybe replacing it w/ Sentry .. in regards to my DPS & DPS mulltipliers, I am attempting to get a Physical build going since I have managed to get 5 of the Marauders set & 2 Nats so I was planning on re-rolling those once I get a RRoG .. been grinding out Act 1 bounties for about a week but sadly *sigh* nothing yet .... I am not attached to my follower other than he was easy to equip so that one will be easy lol

@ Redcell ..I had read that using the Force Move button helped w/ Stepping but I agree that it does seem over complicated hence my questions ..

Once again All of your Sage Advice is truly Appreciated :)
Edited by BeefyWench#1466 on 5/10/2014 10:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/10/2014 05:57 AMPosted by BeefyWench
With the numbers I have I knew that the biggest thing holding me back was my play style (stand still & shoot) so yesterday I started trying stutter stepping. Right now Torment 1 is pretty easy but it just doesnt feel like I'm doing it right.

I rebinded my keys (check my profile)

Force stop - space
Force move - Mouse 4

I watched some videos on it (Thanks DIEoxide) but still am not feeling like I am doing it the way it should be done.

Any advice on key binding or techniques would be appreciated.

Hey there! Glad you got a chance to check out the vid!

There's great advice in this thread alone, though also if you've seen the thread in which initially has the video you saw (flight and dieoxides stepping tutorial vids), be sure to read through the thread, as it has many various ways of keybinds that may be to your benefit.

What I demonstrated, as oscar mentioned, is the traditional way of doing it, but there's technically no "right" way to do it. Once you do settle on a method that best suits you and you take the time to get it down, you'll notice a big increase in your overall performance in terms of both damage output and survivability, so stick with it!

Always happy to see a player wanting to take their DH to the next level. If you have more questions, I'd be happy to help you out in game if you want more 1 on 1 assistance. DiEoxidE#1987. (>^^)>
Reply Quote
@DIEoxidE -- WOW another Wise Man of Demon Hunters :) actually it was that thread that got me started in my hunt for a better way to play .. I'll have to make sure that I read thru the entire thread tho lol think I stopped after the couple of pages since I wanted to give it a try

Since I have been messing around with my skills and key bindings right now my poor char is def running around like a drunken college student (still able to live on T1 tho not pretty)

I can already see a difference when it comes to NOT being hit .. going to take a bit of practice & patience, even tho I want to be able to do it NOW !!

Demon Hunters and all that goes into the play style & skills is the only class for me .. still learning tho about synergy between skills/passives & armor/weapons

Thanks to people like you there is enough information for people (who are interested of course) to research & learn as little or as much as they want.
Edited by BeefyWench#1466 on 5/10/2014 1:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The best way to learn, regardless of which method you use, is to start with a low stutter frequency and just focus on kiting rather than dishing damage. As you become more comfortable kite-stepping in all directions, gradually increase the frequency of the stutter. Eventually you'll be able to pull off high-frequency stutter-stepping. The biggest mistake is when people watch DIEoxide's movies and jump straight into his rate of stutter-stepping. He is showing you the end result of practicing, not the beginning.
Reply Quote
@Tanque - Thanks - makes complete sense, like most I probably am attempting to go faster than I should at this point & will have to make sure to slow down and just get comfortable with executing it

I've been farming for an RRoG so it'll be easier on me to work on while getting something accomplished LOL
Reply Quote
View profile
05/10/2014 12:49 PMPosted by DiEoxidE
I'd be happy to help you out in game if you want more 1 on 1 assistance. DiEoxidE#1987. (>^^)>
It's a trap!
Reply Quote
View profile
05/10/2014 02:12 PMPosted by VocaloidNyan
05/10/2014 12:49 PMPosted by DiEoxidE
I'd be happy to help you out in game if you want more 1 on 1 assistance. DiEoxidE#1987. (>^^)>
It's a trap!

Don't do it!
Reply Quote
lol
Reply Quote
05/10/2014 02:08 PMPosted by BeefyWench
@Tanque - Thanks - makes complete sense, like most I probably am attempting to go faster than I should at this point & will have to make sure to slow down and just get comfortable with executing it

Yes, what he stated is pretty much spot on.

You can start with equiping a 2h xbow and dropping as much IAS as possible, attempting around town if you need to. Once you get the rhythm, it becomes muscle memory, and at that point, you can start adding "IAS" or switch to a 2h bow and go from there.

It's definitely a patience process, but one that pays off huge in the long run. Cheers!
Reply Quote
05/10/2014 10:21 AMPosted by BeefyWench
@Oscar & Tasty - I hadn't heard of the "Arc Stutter" sounds like it should be quite doable - question tho .. how do you have your keys binded .. I've only been playing D3 since December so I am not overly attached to my set up .. lol .. mostly looking for comfort & ease

Left Mouse click = Spender
Mouse wheel click = Force move
Right Mouse click = Generator
Skill 1 = A = Panic Button or resource button
Skill 2 = S = Common use skill
Skill 3 = D = Skill with a cooldown
Skill 4 = C = Common use skill
Force Stand still = Shift

I keep my pinky and ring finger on the Shift, middle on "S" and index on "C". I played a lot of D2 and I had a set up similar to this so, its what I stuck with.

To stutter step with my Spender I use the normal Click+Shift method and to stutter with the Generator I use the Mouse Wheel and Right Click together. So my generator stepping is done entirely with the right hand only. I also only use the middle finger to alternate between the two buttons. ^.^
Edited by TastySouP#1157 on 5/10/2014 2:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote

I use standard key binds with Shift as my stop-to-fire button. I time it so that I click toward the monster while hitting shift. It actually becomes quite natural after a while.

@Tasty - I am definetely going to change my primary & secondary .. most Excellant suggestion .. question .. I looked for "guided arrow" under all the primary & secondary skills and could not locate that one

I definitely agree that having a homing arrow is VERY helpful, but I really like using Entangling shot as it pretty much tightens any clumping into a really nice pack that eats anything I throw on it, like a nice Cluster Arrow.

Whatever works well for you though is what is most important. I've been messing around in Hardcore using Evasive Fire Hardened with Multishot Arsenal and boy oh BOY if there ever were a no-aim-kill-all build...
Reply Quote
Thanks One & All! Certainly appreciate all the feedback it's been a lot help!

Regarding using Evasive fire honestly I just started using it for learning to stutter step lol figured I could at least kill some things by accident while farming & practicing :)

I'll keep at it, take my time, make it a habit by then I should have all the gear & perfect rerolls on them all to do T6! (wishful thinking lol)
Edited by BeefyWench#1466 on 5/10/2014 3:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]