Diablo® III

Rhen'Ho Flayer - 2nd best WD weapon

http://youtu.be/W0R5CojzkoA

For the 99% of us that can't find a SMK I feel the best alternative you can have is the Rhen'Ho Flayer with Addling Toads. I finally got my full Zuni set and wanted to make a new video showing how easy it is to cruise through T5 using the Flayer.

My dps isn't that great for this as I lose a couple hundred thousand DPS to wear this gear due to crappy rolls (738K profile dps currently) I hope to find a better flayer as i have seen others with 300 more dps on theirs.

The Crowd Control capability of the frogs and Piranhado combined is priceless. Even playing solo you so I am taking almost no damage from attacks as everything is occupied with confusion, or dealing with my pets. When i try firebats I am under attack so much I have to move and dodge and try to recast FB and i end up running OOM trying to re-position and cast. With frogs you can constantly be moving and casting to continuously be streaming frogs and producing sycopants.

My AS is also very low now i think 1.8 for this. Everyone is obsessed with firebats and getting out as many fetishes as possible but i think this works just fine. I know once i counted and i had 21 fetishes out at one time. That is more than enough to get in each others way and create too much congestion as it is. I normally do not play solo, I typically just do T5/6 rifts with 4 players. Everyone in my party takes so much less damage with this build it is an invaluable asset.

I hope to get some replacement gear and get my AS back up to 2.0 where i had it.

This setup is so underrated and I am just suggesting that everyone who finds a Flayer should give it a shot and you will be pleasantly surprised!
Reply Quote
I really like Addling Toads...so I'm definitely hoping for a Flayer drop! Of course, I'm still waiting for my first piece of Zuni's as well, but here's hoping ;)
Reply Quote
This is the build I'm aiming for, not holding my breath for an SMK drop.

Without 4 piece Zuni bonus this is T4 capable for me (without FA), hoping for one more Zuni piece (boots please!) and I'm sure T5 will be fine with the addition of FA if I'm careful with bad stuff on the floor.
Reply Quote
05/06/2014 06:59 AMPosted by r0j
This is the build I'm aiming for, not holding my breath for an SMK drop.

Without 4 piece Zuni bonus this is T4 capable for me (without FA), hoping for one more Zuni piece (boots please!) and I'm sure T5 will be fine with the addition of FA if I'm careful with bad stuff on the floor.

I had been running this in T5/T6 without zuni set and it was just fine, I would just do less damage in between elites. Full set just makes it that much easier.
Reply Quote
Using the Rhen'Ho Flayer is probably the most fun I have had in this game since launch.

I too have finally completed my Zuni set. I am on the hunt for a better Rhen'Ho Flayer, the one I got did not have a socket, hence the damage is not to my liking.

Addling toads is so OP for crowd control. I was using explosive toads last night in our T5 group as we had good CC, so I wanted to see the damage output with my Mage Fist, pretty neat stuff.
This build is fully capable on T6.

It has been said before, this build is as easy as switching weapons as you would normally run in a standard Fetish build. Also stacking % to Physical would be the right choice I have found as your primary damage comes from your little buddies.

I use VB for Rift boss and isolated Elites.

I have had success with this skill set:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WcdUPQ!eWVT!aZccbb

Though probably my preferred set up would be:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WcTUPQ!eWVT!aZbcbb

BBV, fetish army is up so often with the assistance of GI that I would argue that SMK is not BIS. Even If I found a SMK, I would hesitate in switching.

The range and AOE of toads is pretty epic too.

I have worked on Toughness, HGB, and TDR on gear as that has benefited me in my survivability.

My gear progression continues and look forward to optimizing this build to its fullest.
Edited by REAPER666#1553 on 5/6/2014 8:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I have to say I agree with this! I was using a nicely rolled Manaj knife which had higher paper DPS but then I got a pretty decently rolled Rhen'ho Flayer and I love Addling Toads. I can handle T5 for the most part with ease. I even do some of the easier mats on T6.
Reply Quote
05/06/2014 07:25 AMPosted by Windgrace
I got a pretty decently rolled Rhen'ho Flayer

Wow Grats on that weapon man, rolled AD as well.....GG
Reply Quote
Thanks for posting this. I have a poorly rolled Rhen'ho Flayer (only around 2k DPS after rerolling something for socket) so I didn't use it too much. But I was only trying out explosive toads and not addling. I will give it another try.
Reply Quote
Hey all, newly 70 WD here. levelled him a couple of hours ago and found some interesting items. A thing of the deep, Carnevil, and a Rhen Ho Flayer with socket which is nice. I almost vendored this weapon because I had TF but I thought I could have fun with it. Just a few questions here since I haven't played WD since pre 2.0:

1. Can a Rhen Ho Flayer beat a thunderfury?
2. How is WD resource management? Is stacking mana regen still a priority?

Thanks.
Reply Quote
05/06/2014 09:47 AMPosted by Mythicman

It depends on build, gear level and preference.

With Zunis set I would definitely take the utility Rhen Ho offers over a Thunderfury. Without the set I would go with Firebats and a Thunderfury to proc more fetishes.

For a Carnevil build Thunderfury is the way to go.

2. How is WD resource management? Is stacking mana regen still a priority?

Depends on the build you are aiming for. The big 3 - Pets/DoTs/Poison Carnevil - don't have mana issues at all.

If you are aiming for Poison/Cold bears or a Spirit Barrage build you will definitely need it.
Reply Quote

The weapon is not to "Beat" any other weapon, it is an alternate to your experience in this game.

It serves a purpose and performs that purpose well.
Reply Quote
Reaper666 and I joined a party T5 and we started the first rift. It was insane; reapers were going off. We all got stomped.

Then we brought out the addling toads. Sit back, sip a martini, and watch the sun set.

At one point I experimented with something. The other three were dealing with an elite and so I cast piranhado on a group of white enemies and started spamming toads. I kept them in check until the elite was dead and they caught up to me about 15 seconds later; I had barely taking any damage. If I had the zuni set, this is exactly what you want. Pets will take care of it.
Edited by MCP#1477 on 5/6/2014 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/06/2014 10:19 AMPosted by MCP
Reaper666 and I joined a party T5 and we started the first rift. It was insane; reapers were going off. We all got stomped.Then we brought out the addling toads. Sit back, sip a martini, and watch the sun set.

Heh, that was a unfortunate start to a rift huh?....INSANE :P

I think we had every Elite blizz could think of after us :)
Reply Quote
I had a Flayer drop for me and got lucky with my helm from kadala too. I seem squishy still. And I'm missing any physical skills. I'm thinking:

1: Aughilds for shoulder and bracers
2. Steak RoRG from my wizard.
3. Should I keep magefists till tasked and theo?
4: thoughts on mojo to go for?

Thanks.
Reply Quote
I got a thunderfury on my WD last night but I was trying to decide if it was worth it over my Rhen-Ho Flayer which rolled pretty nicely as well. Good to know that it's a viable option.
Reply Quote
05/06/2014 10:39 AMPosted by RagedBull
I had a Flayer drop for me and got lucky with my helm from kadala too. I seem squishy still. And I'm missing any physical skills. I'm thinking:1: Aughilds for shoulder and bracers 2. Steak RoRG from my wizard. 3. Should I keep magefists till tasked and theo?4: thoughts on mojo to go for?Thanks.

1. the set bonus is too hard to pass up.

2. good idea

3. I have been unfortunate in finding a T&T, so I have been using Mage fist in the meantime, the % to Fire does help a great deal with VB, Explosive toads (if you have adequate group crowd control) and Garg

4. I have always liked TOTD, I am having a hard time trying to decide whether or not I want to give up my SOJ for POX, to use TOTD. My pox blows so that's probably why I have the set up I do :P
Edited by REAPER666#1553 on 5/6/2014 10:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I had a Flayer drop for me and got lucky with my helm from kadala too. I seem squishy still. And I'm missing any physical skills. I'm thinking:

Thanks.

Mojo doesn't matter a ton. I prefer the Thing of the Deep for the pickup range. It's awesome at sucking in health globes from a distance.

I'm stuck using the Zuni Mojo for now though because I need it for the set bonus. It's ok, but doesn't do anything special.
Reply Quote

Thanks.

I think when you start out the best thing you can do is go for Blackthornes set. It has great bonuses and damage mitigation for you to use until you can get a zuni set to drop.

as you see from my video with frogs and nado combo you will be taking much less damage and not have to worry nearly as much about taking damage and can concentrate on more damage dealing gear.

I don't need serpent or dogs to try to keep me from taking damage.

aughild combo is great
get a frog mojo for grave injustice. or a zuni if you find it for the zuni set.
Reply Quote
05/06/2014 10:14 AMPosted by Mau
I would go with Firebats and a Thunderfury to proc more fetishes.

Thunderfury's weapon proc doesn't have any chance to proc fetishes, so it's just Firebats doing the proccing. In that case wouldn't any weapon do?
Reply Quote
I have a pretty good SMK and have lately been running more with the Rhen'ho Flayer. While acknowledging that the SMK is a great knife, I'm not ready to say it's BIS for pet docs.

For higher torment games the amount of crowd control that can be done with Addling Toads is hard to beat. When running low torments, I like the SMK combined with some mana intensive skills (Bears/AC) to just melt thru everything w/ hardly stopping.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]