Diablo® III

Monks Are Not Fine,A Desperate Plea【No More】

Community Manager
Hello, Monks!

I've been keeping a close eye on this thread (and others) so when it came time to talk a little bit about patch 2.0.5, and the future of Monks, this seemed like a good place to do it. I’ve updated the posting limit in this thread, so feel free to keep it alive.

I'd like to start by pointing out that patch 2.0.5 wasn’t really intended to focus much on class balance when it first was scheduled, but there were some circumstances that resulted in it including a lot of class changes, particularly for the Crusader. The Crusader is not only the newest class in Diablo III (and a big feature of Reaper of Souls), but was in a state that (we felt) merited some immediate tuning and balancing, so 2.0.5 did end up featuring a lot of Crusader changes.

That said, while 2.0.5 didn’t include many changes to Monks, it doesn’t mean we feel there isn’t room for improvement (or that your feedback has fallen on deaf ears). Instead, we have many changes planned for patch 2.1.0, which is our first big content patch for Reaper of Souls and first big opportunity to do some meaningful evaluations for each class, Monk included.

Our future goals for the Monk in 2.1.0 focus improving core class attributes, class abilities, and addressing Legendaries that need improvement. You should all be able to see (and test out) these changes soon™ on the 2.1.0 PTR once its live. (Note: Initially, the PTR will not have all the changes we want to do for 2.1.0, but as the PTR progresses, more changes will be added. Also note that we do not have an ETA for the 2.1.0 PTR at this time.)

We also want to let you all know that we will be improving some of the underwhelming Set items. The following Sets will be receiving buffs or redesigns to their full-Set bonuses in 2.1.0 and will be retroactive, so keep those pieces:

• Firebird’s Finery
• Raiment of a Thousand Storms
• Monkey King’s Garb
• Thorns of the Invoker
• The Shadow’s Mantle
Edited by Grimiku on 5/14/2014 2:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/14/2014 02:38 PMPosted by Grimiku
Hello, Monks!

I've been keeping a close eye on this thread (and others) so when it came time to talk a little bit about patch 2.0.5, and the future of Monks, this seemed like a good place to do it. I’ve updated the posting limit in this thread, so feel free to keep it alive.

I'd like to start by pointing out that patch 2.0.5 wasn’t really intended to focus much on class balance when it first was scheduled, but there were some circumstances that resulted in it including a lot of class changes, particularly for the Crusader. The Crusader is not only the newest class in Diablo III (and a big feature of Reaper of Souls), but was in a state that (we felt) merited some immediate tuning and balancing, so 2.0.5 did up featuring a lot of Crusader changes.

That said, while 2.0.5 didn’t include many changes to Monks, it doesn’t mean we feel there isn’t room for improvement (or that your feedback has fallen on deaf ears). Instead, we’ve many changes planned for patch 2.1.0, which is our first big content patch for Reaper of Souls and first big opportunity to do some meaningful evaluations for each class, Monk included.

Our future goals for the Monk in 2.1.0 focus improving core class attributes, class abilities, and addressing Legendaries that need improvement. You should all be able to see (and test out) these changes soon™ on the 2.1.0 PTR once its live. (Note: Initially, the PTR will not have all the changes we want to do for 2.1.0, but as the PTR progresses, more changes will be added. Also note that we do not have an ETA for the 2.1.0 PTR at this time.)

We also want to let you all know that we will be improving some of the underwhelming Set items. The following Sets will be receiving buffs or redesigns to their full-Set bonuses in 2.1.0 and will be retroactive, so keep those pieces:

• Firebird’s Finery
• Monkey King’s Garb
• Thorns of the Invoker
• The Shadow’s Mantle

* jumps around *
Reply Quote
View profile
SO... wait till 2.1 guys

Go farm items until then!
Reply Quote
Hello, Monks!
The following Sets will be receiving buffs or redesigns to their full-Set bonuses in 2.1.0 and will be retroactive, so keep those pieces:

• Firebird’s Finery
• Monkey King’s Garb
• Thorns of the Invoker
• The Shadow’s Mantle

appreciated, thank you
Reply Quote
Well I imagine you are going to get a very well worded letter from Druin that should help with the direction of some of the 2.1 patch changes for monks, keep an eye out :)
Reply Quote
Just like triple our DPS and I'm good :)
Reply Quote
Grimiku, nice to give all elemental runes to every spirit generator skill of us.
But - though I hope it was just a mistake - you took away ALL physical damage runes for Way of the Hundred Fists. So that is our only spiritgen skill now that cannot be used by physical builds.
Why? :(
Reply Quote
Logged in just to say thanks Grim
Reply Quote
While I am not happy about the state of our class right now, I can wait a few more months for buffs now that I KNOW they are coming. Being left in the dark and feeling as if our suggestions had been fallen on deaf ears was the worst part about this entire fiasco.
So Grimiku, thank you for giving us a status report and please keep up the dialogue with the monk community.
Reply Quote
Hello, Monks!

I'd like to start by pointing out that patch 2.0.5 wasn’t really intended to focus much on class balance when it first was scheduled, but there were some circumstances that resulted in it including a lot of class changes, particularly for the Crusader. The Crusader is not only the newest class in Diablo III (and a big feature of Reaper of Souls), but was in a state that (we felt) merited some immediate tuning and balancing, so 2.0.5 did end up featuring a lot of Crusader changes.

That said, while 2.0.5 didn’t include many changes to Monks, it doesn’t mean we feel there isn’t room for improvement (or that your feedback has fallen on deaf ears). Instead, we’ve many changes planned for patch 2.1.0, which is our first big content patch for Reaper of Souls and first big opportunity to do some meaningful evaluations for each class, Monk included.

• Firebird’s Finery
• Monkey King’s Garb
• Thorns of the Invoker
• The Shadow’s Mantle

Thank you! Yes! Monk will rise again and comeback with a vengeance! We will crush those witch doctors and their fetishes. :D

Can't wait for this patch!
Reply Quote
View profile
Hello, Monks!

That said, while 2.0.5 didn’t include many changes to Monks, it doesn’t mean we feel there isn’t room for improvement (or that your feedback has fallen on deaf ears). Instead, we have many changes planned for patch 2.1.0, which is our first big content patch for Reaper of Souls and first big opportunity to do some meaningful evaluations for each class, Monk included.

• Firebird’s Finery
• Monkey King’s Garb
• Thorns of the Invoker
• The Shadow’s Mantle

Awesome. As a HC Cruz player, I loved the balance you guys provided to the class. Y'all nailed it!!

I'm also a huge fan of the Monk class, and I'll wait to re-roll my deceased HC Monk until 2.1

Thank you for your time.

PS: Keep up the excellent work. Despite the histrionics here, you guys have made many of our D3 dreams come to fruition through all the hours you've spent tuning the game we all love. The anger presented by many here is a misguided manner of players showing passion for the franchise. It's good to see the passion is present on the dev side as well.
Reply Quote
Gonna be a while, gents.
Reply Quote
Thank you for this!
Reply Quote
Until the pendulum swings in the other direction and does for a long time - these blue posts regarding monks are pointless. Monks have been boned in this game from the very beginning.

There was only a few minutes (relatively speaking) pre-ros where they could compete and/or outclass others. Of course, that required a lot of AH wheeling/dealing to obtain the best pieces and gear yourself out of blizzard's inability to balance this class. At least it was possible, though.

so, whatever Blizzard. whatever. wake us up when you actually do something.

(grumbling under my breath)

How the fudge does Crusader get a list of changes that is 47 pages long (yes, I'm exaggerating) and monks get additional nerfs.

and yes, I'm nerd raging. ugh. so frustrated.

Here's an idea - instead of letting us all sit and stew in our venomous juices... why not just buff this class. OVER BUFF IT. See how it looks over buffed and decide what to do after that.

Here comes the rage: BECAUSE WHAT WE HAVE NOW SUCKS. FIX IT.
Reply Quote
05/14/2014 02:56 PMPosted by Genny
Gonna be a while, gents.

I'm sure the majority will wait forever as long as we know its GOING to happen
Reply Quote
05/14/2014 02:56 PMPosted by Genny
Gonna be a while, gents.
Reply Quote
Raiment of a Thousand Storms
• Monkey King’s Garb

While I'm excited about potential class changes... and by God I know we need quite a bit of love in the areas of damage on our spirit spenders.. I just want to comment on this real quick.

You're going to have to buff the holy hell out of these sets to make them comparable to other class sets.

Not only that, but you'll have to greatly, greatly improve 2handers / daibos if you even want them to be even close to useable.
Reply Quote
View profile
05/14/2014 02:58 PMPosted by zen

Here's an idea - instead of letting us all sit and stew in our venomous juices... why not just buff this class. OVER BUFF IT. See how it looks over buffed and decide what to do after that.

...and then what happens? People freak when it gets nerf. Terrible idea, terrible dev strategy. They do the right thing by taking time to do it right.

05/14/2014 02:58 PMPosted by zen
There was only a few minutes (relatively speaking) pre-ros where they could compete and/or outclass others

I had a lot of fun and success taking my HC Monks through the game. They are still quite viable in group play, even with the known issues.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]