Diablo® III

To those complaining about Ladders...

Blizzard Employee
There have been a lot recent posts about seasons, and a lot of opinions and concerns about them. We're very happy that so many of you have taken an interest in this upcoming feature, and we're looking forward to sharing more information on them in the future. It’s always awesome to see a great community discussion on a subject like this, so I wanted to drop in and ask a few questions.

Based on the information currently available:

• What about seasons makes you want to participate in them?
  • What concerns you about seasons?
  • What are some options to address any concerns you may have with seasons?
04/29/2014 05:08 PMPosted by Grimiku

1.) Season exclusive loot.
2.) RNG being far too harsh to provide feasible way to get Season exclusive loot.
3.) Isn't this the job of your developers?
I'd would make special monster bashing events. Special items you can get if you hit all the goals on a weekend or something like that.
My concern is making ladder only items. Kinda lame to start over to get good items.
View profile
There have been a lot recent posts about seasons, and a lot of opinions and concerns about them. We're very happy that so many of you have taken an interest in this upcoming feature, and we're looking forward to sharing more information on them in the future. It’s always awesome to see a great community discussion on a subject like this, so I wanted to drop in and ask a few questions.

I want to play with the characters I already have. I don't want to make new ones, and I dont want to dismiss my investment into them. The way D3 was made were for these chars to be permanent, not disposable like d2.

That is my only complaint with ladders. Now if I can take one char into season and only play with other people in that season with that char, I like that idea.
Will we lose our paragon points for hardcore? or will that remain?
What about seasons makes you want to participate in them?

If they have exclusive gear. I don't think they should, but I if that is my only choice...

What concerns you about seasons?

That one will just roll into another and I will never get to use my regular characters again with any amount of regularity. Also, if I do use them, I'll feel like I'm wasting time.

What are some options to address any concerns you may have with seasons?

Figure out something better. Your current drop system is borked. The rewards are terrible. Having to start over and over under current conditions will be brutal.
What concerns me about seasons is having put in thousands of hours into my characters and paragon and then having to abandon them if I want to perfect them (makes no sense!) to hunt for ...

Ladder Only Loot. "LOL"

If you make it so that loot drops in non ladder? I literally have zero problem with ladders and say bring it on.

Or if you make it very clear that at the end of the ladder season, the LOL (ladder only loot) get's put into the drop tables for non ladder play, then we have a compromise I can live with.
The loot should be available to all types of gameplay: Softcore, Hardcore, and Seasons.
I for one never wanted to participate in Ladders in this game. I just love logging on and being able to slay hordes of creatures.

But with the seasons dropping "specific new items" i am going to be forced to play an aspect of the game i never wanted to to get the new legendaries that i am going to potentially want.

I am fine with seasons, but please do not make me play something i dont want to(hate leveling....) to get items i can only access in a certain part of the game.

-New legendaries makes me want to participate in ladders
-What concerns me is after seasons how would the new legendaries disseminate across the non ladder player base(like in d2) when all legs are BoA
-Maybe a live Q&A session with the developers once a week could address concerns more directly and quickly.
wat makes me want to participate: fresh start, competition, etc
wat is my concern: boa
options to address concerns: remove boa as a thing in the game
I suspect the more variety available to players the better the game, assuming the options are implemented well. Personally I have no interest in competing with anyone and I am quite happy to play with a trusted friend now and then, but mostly I examine strategies that make my follower synergy work well when I play single player. Given the right balance, they can make a huge difference in how the game plays, and I do not have to worry about the problems people keep complaining about when they play co op or against each other. So, just to add to your data, Not interested in seasons or ladders. Not against them, just not interested.

whens the beta test over.

Grimiku, is your whole job to do impromptu bullet point surveys on general?? :p

1) A way of obtaining better loot
2) My charactersin the normal game becoming obsolete
3) -Adding new loot to both normal and lader

-OR-

Making ladders a kind of "Rush Mode." Have a years worth of regular mode happen in a season, (1 month, 3 months... whatever"). Take the grind away and make it fun to get loot and stuff again. Then at the end of the season it gets deleted or put into some sort of archive. If progression is quick I have more reason to do it. I don't want to spend 2 months getting to a point where I am right now just so I can get the newest item (which I may never see anyway).
Edited by Doubledown#1405 on 4/29/2014 5:19 PM PDT

Cosmetic reward.

Also, I don't like the idea of re-leveling my characters in a new mode. If seasons encouraged you to perfect your gear instead of re-grinding everything, then I would hop in, assuming it's available in the mode I'm playing.

Seasonal loots. I don't want to re-level new characters and if that's the only way to acquire them, then I will reconsider whether or not I will keep playing this game.

This game is about acquiring loots and trying new builds. If those loots are not available in the mode I want to play, then I am not getting the full experience.

1) No seasonal (loot) exclusives.
2) If there's "seasonal loots", then they should be available in NL at some point. Remember, we don't have trade... and even if we have trade, it's wrong to make people trade to acquire gear that cannot drop in a mode.
3) NL will become an inferior mode. No one likes playing in an inferior mode.

Give Ladder players some cosmetic reward. If I want them, then I can simply play Ladder and unlock them. Once I'm done, I would go back to NL. Unlocking those rewards should not be "RNG based". It should require some real "work".

New items that i can carry over would make me want to participate, as well as the challenge of building from scratch.

I'm concerned about a few things.
Will i get more character slots in the new season? I don't want to delete characters just to join the ladder.
If we do, will they roll into my slots after the season is over?

It was mentioned that stash and levels will roll into your main stuff once the season is done.
How will this work with the limited stash space we have?
Are you going to give the main game 8 slots of stash once the season is done to accommodate?

The normal game problems also concern me. Lack of gold accumulation vs. the amount of gold sinks. Lack of 'useful' drops in a given timeframe. All the well-known bugs and glitches need to be fixed before ladder ever comes out.
Edited by Zenkat#1384 on 4/29/2014 5:19 PM PDT
04/29/2014 05:18 PMPosted by DoomBringer

Cosmetic reward.

Also, I don't like the idea of re-leveling my characters in a new mode. If seasons encouraged you to perfect your gear instead of re-grinding everything, then I would hop in, assuming it's available in the mode I'm playing.

Seasonal loots. I don't want to re-level new characters and if that's the only way to acquire them, then I will reconsider whether or not I will keep playing this game.

This game is about acquiring loots and trying new builds. If those loots are not available in the mode I want to play, then I am not getting the full experience.

1) No seasonal (loot) exclusives.
2) If there's "seasonal loots", then they should be available in NL at some point. Remember, we don't have trade... and even if we have trade, it's wrong to make people trade to acquire gear that cannot drop in a mode.
3) NL will become an inferior mode. No one likes playing in an inferior mode.

Give Ladder players some cosmetic reward. If I want them, then I can simply play Ladder and unlock them. Once I'm done, I would go back to NL. Unlocking those rewards should not be "RNG based". It should require some real "work".

non ladder is not an inferior mode cuz that is the mode where all the loot when ladder end goes to.
The way I see it is players playing ladder are giving up quite a bit. Losing paragon levels sets players back several hundred, if not thousands of hours of progress. Competition is there, but let's face it, ladder competition is for the 1%. Your average player (the majority mind you) isn't going to be able to compete at the levels of someone who can spend 10+ hours a day playing or sharing an account. So seeing as how competition isn't a realistic incentive to the majority of the game, how can you get people to play a feature that essentially is like going backwards? Loot. It's that simple.

Ladder in D2 was fun because it reset the economy, given everyone a fresh shot at the game. So there's a guy whose duped 500 sojs? Doesn't matter. You can play ladder and be on even footing. This aspect of the ladder doesn't exist in D3 due to BoA however. I wouldn't honestly be surprised if ladders didn't include even more perks before they're released. Convincing someone to give up his 500 paragon levels for a leaderboard isn't going to work.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]