Diablo® III

[Off-topic]Windows 8: So terrible it's shocking...

View profile
Microsoft would dare to release such atrocity upon this world.

The Metro interface is the most retarded implementation in software history.

It is downgrading at it's finest.

Having to rely on third-party software to have a semi-half-non-frustrating experience is annoying.

Your interface is annoying, your apps are useless. I just need a OS(OPERATING SYSTEM).

Can you please give me an OS and not this POS? Or can at least you give me an option

to buy the glorious Windows 7 with a student discount? You can't possibly expect me to study

with your Windows 8.1 when it takes it to a whole new level of annoyance to do a simple file

search. Gsus, i'm probably better off with Unix tools such as find, grep and ls. At least they get

the job done in seconds without all that flashy BS. Not only that, but this joke disguised as

software still have a buttload of compability issues with EVERYTHING, and you still refuse

to make sure buying windows 7 is easy!!!!!!! To be honest, it's like this:

Windows 7 == D2 LOD

Windows 8.1 == D3V
Reply Quote
You missed MS having massive issues with drivers with 8.1

I work in an IT environment and it gave massive headaches, it put responsibility on the manufacturers to release new drivers.
Reply Quote
Why broken sentences?
Reply Quote
8.1 is superior to previous version of Windows. Sorry you don't know what your doing with it.
Reply Quote
You serious dude? A little late to the party or what?

3rd party apps like Classic Shell have been out since the start.... and now MS is finally seeing the light and adding some of the "classic" features back through updates. I heard that the start bar will work on Metro sometime in an update.

Windows 9 is rumored to not have Metro... we'll see. They are on a streak of Good - Sucks - Good - Sucks

XP wasn't extremely well received at the start either... but yes 8 will follow more closely to Vista in the eyes of many.

New DirectX that might stop MANTLE dead in it's tracks.... Gonna need 8/8.1/9 to use that I'm sure.
Reply Quote
04/30/2014 07:03 AMPosted by KingArthurz

Windows 7 == D2 LOD

Windows 8.1 == D3V

lol BiS comment
Reply Quote
04/30/2014 07:05 AMPosted by FeRMi
You missed MS having massive issues with drivers with 8.1

I work in an IT environment and it gave massive headaches, it put responsibility on the manufacturers to release new drivers.

What junk hardware are you using? The cheapest I'm assuming...
Reply Quote
04/30/2014 07:06 AMPosted by Fenlius
Why broken sentences?
Because he copied and pasted from somewhere else.
Reply Quote
04/30/2014 07:07 AMPosted by Shiven
What junk hardware are you using? The cheapest I'm assuming...

Well I work in IT too and we have tons of Surface 1 and 2's out there. (we have plenty of cheap junk still running... but it isn't running win8)

People are always having problems with their dock drivers (designed for Surface + 8/8.1)... but they are stupid users too.

We have had an alarming amount of docks straight up fail. Targus brand was the worst offender... also having a weird issue with WiFi with the new MS ones (haven't nailed that down but rebuilding WinSock usually fixes it).
Edited by Woot#1471 on 4/30/2014 7:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm picking up my custom built computer today and I ordered it with Windows 7. All I do is internet and D3 RoS.
Reply Quote
View profile
Asus Suite 3 won't even work on Windows 8.1 when it works perfect in Windows 7 (been there done that) so yeah i can totally see the drivers issue like i said about compability and

04/30/2014 07:06 AMPosted by Woot
You serious dude? A little late to the party or what?

3rd party apps like Classic Shell have been out since the start.... and now MS is finally seeing the light and adding some of the "classic" features back through updates. I heard that the start bar will work on Metro sometime in an update.

Windows 9 is rumored to not have Metro... we'll see. They are on a streak of Good - Sucks - Good - Sucks

XP wasn't extremely well received at the start either... but yes 8 will follow more closely to Vista in the eyes of many.

New DirectX that might stop MANTLE dead in it's tracks.... Gonna need 8/8.1/9 to use that I'm sure.

Even if Classic Shell(which is great) was there from the start, the simple fact i need it to have a less annoying experience is already annoying. But yeah haven't heard of windows 9 yet but hopefully they will go back to it's roots....

edit.

i didnt copy and paste it, the sentences are broken because i messed up my format, too lazy to fix it :P
Edited by KingArthurz#1831 on 4/30/2014 7:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Its the widnows pattern. Every other windows OS is either good or bad. 95 good, 98 bad, 2000 good, ME bad, XP good, vista bad, 7 good, 8 bad, so 9 is fated to be good.

I think its cause they try to do something new every time, and it turns out bad, then they use the experience gained to make it good, then try something new again, and repeat.
Reply Quote
8/8.1 are just stepchilds like Vista was.
Reply Quote
Been using 8.1 for a while, mostly because there are a handful of games that I've noticed a slight improvement on FPS over Win7.

I do acknowledge I've had a couple driver issues. Mostly with USB wireless adapters like the AE2500 which on power cycling (not reboot), would not initialize in device manager and I'd need to unplug/plug it back in and reconnect. However I use that device so infrequently that it hasn't been a huge deal. Also some issues with Corsair's Link software, but that was fixed with a quick registry edit.

Metro in 8.1 isn't bad. In fact after using Windows since the inception of the start menu, I'm liking it the best. I only have about 15 tiles on it for work/personal use and I like being able to just click the start button on the keyboard and click an tile in the middle of my desktop rather than the corner. Although for a lot of programs I have the habit of just doing WINKEY+R and type the command, like web browsing, all office products and such. I don't even have shortcuts for chrome and office anymore. I don't even have icons on my desktop or pinned to the taskbar. When you want something that isn't tiled, or with global launch, just hit WINKEY and start typing the name of it.

It boots incredibly fast, responsive, fairly snappy. It does require adjustment, and acknowledgement that you are abandoning a good deal of backwards compatibility, but it's been a fairly positive experience. (And I'm completely excluding W8 from that statement, just referring to W8.1).

I actually tried to use it on a home computer with a trackpad and god it was awful. Mouse or tablet. Trackpads for desktop use, even with metro are awful.
Reply Quote
04/30/2014 07:06 AMPosted by Shiven
8.1 is superior to previous version of Windows. Sorry you don't know what your doing with it.

^^
Have had 0 issues since I've upgraded
Reply Quote
Microsoft jumped the gun trying to make a Mobile-looking OS to slap on their tablets and touch-screen laptops. That's Windows 8.

Now, they will hopefully recognize that people still love Desktop PCs and fix all their screw-ups with Windows 9.

Until then, it's Windows 7 all the way.
Reply Quote
with touchscreen windows 8 is just better.
without touchscreen you can just not use metro ui, and is still better.
Reply Quote
Windows Key + D

Your welcome.
Edited by BeerManMike#1406 on 4/30/2014 7:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/30/2014 07:16 AMPosted by KingArthurz
Asus Suite 3 won't even work on Windows 8.1 when it works perfect in Windows 7 (been there done that) so yeah i can totally see the drivers issue like i said about compability and

Can deny this claim, I am running windows 8.1 and have had no issues with Asus Suite 3
Reply Quote
Older stuff like stupid USB to VGA connectors don't work... I hate those stupid things anyways but they work for secretaries. (again manufacture drivers is the problem)

Also my business laptop has a chip in the battery that lets you control the % it charges too... not even going to go into explaining why this is important to me. The software to control that chip doesn't work in 8/8.1... but I found a work around... create a second account and brute install it... it'll ruin that account but you can set the chip to say *only charge to 75% then stop* and that works on the main account.

You can NEVER fully uninstall that program once you install it on that dummy account though... bizzare thing.

*also this is not win8's problem really... just Lenovo's way of getting you to buy a new battery quicker... I think they've now completely tore down the IBM business line, the x230 was the last of the mohicans

But yes I put Win7 on all the desktops and Win8 on anything with a touchscreen. Users don't like change and I honestly do not see the point in a work desktop needing 8.

My gaming machine? 8.1, 7, steamOS... I use 8.1 99% of the time now... just because I guess
Edited by Woot#1471 on 4/30/2014 8:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]