Diablo® III

[Off-topic]Windows 8: So terrible it's shocking...

I like how the only complaints about windows 8 are always metro. In every other aspect windows 8 is the same as windows 7 or better. Just disable metro and boot to desktop, there you go.
Reply Quote
04/30/2014 08:03 AMPosted by Izzy
I like how the only complaints about windows 8 are always metro. In every other aspect windows 8 is the same as windows 7 or better. Just disable metro and boot to desktop, there you go.

Just to be fair... being as I use 8.1 on a fair number of machines...

You cannot remove an added WiFi network when it isn't in range. You have to use command prompt.

The settings for Work/Public/Home networks are much wonkier. (but work fine... for the most part.... server2012 I'm looking at you... i still don't understand that problem I had)

Adding Computer to desktop isn't as easy as right clicking and "show on desktop" need to go through a menu from CP.

All minor and I have work arounds... but they aren't clear to the user like they once were.

But yes 90% of the reason people don't like it is because of Metro... and I lay that at the feet of MS... Windows 7 when it detected touchscreen it would put the on screen keyboard and extra features for touch... why couldn't Win8 make the detection and put the default settings to something someone actually wants to use with a mouse/keyboard? good question... good question

There's a lot of cool things too!

I used Link Aggregation on Server 2012... worked just as good as the Intel software, i did lots of testing/comparing.
Ctl+Alt+del for startup... brilliant
The Server Manager of 2012... i hated it at first but now I really like it.

I played a lot with Pools... but was unimpressed and just use RAID10 again. I hope they keep working on this... if your pool is 90% full and add another drive, one would think it would re-structure... but of course it doesn't.
Edited by Woot#1471 on 4/30/2014 8:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/30/2014 08:07 AMPosted by Woot
Adding Computer to desktop isn't as easy as right clicking and "show on desktop" need to go through a menu from CP.

You mean the My Computer icon to desktop? It's a few clicks, Right Click > Personalize > Change Desktop Icons.

Win7 didn't even have a faster way to do that. It was the same process.

Although... you end up in a control panel applet anyway... =/

The settings for Work/Public/Home networks are much wonkier. (but work fine... for the most part.... server2012 I'm looking at you... i still don't understand that problem I had)

Yeah, I'll agree that managing wireless networks seems counterintuitive in W8.1. Getting to the screen to manage wireless profiles should be a lot easier than the half a dozen menus you need to go through. netsh is just so much faster at this point. Which I guess works out if it forces people to use it since it's such an awesome command.

There's a lot of cool things too!

At first when I started using server manager, I thought it was fancy but just another intrusive interface to manage your network, and still relied on a ton of powershell scripts. However after taking the time to build my server groups I found it was pretty useful for quick tasks and saves me a a few RDP sessions a week with things such as the nearly daily need to bounce coldfusion services.
Reply Quote
It only makes sense that the people that whine about RoS (and D3 in general) are the ones that also whine about Windows 8/8.1. Mountain, molehill, etc.

Windows 8.1 is absolutely fine.

[edit]

I found it was pretty useful for quick tasks and saves me a a few RDP sessions a week with things such as the nearly daily need to bounce coldfusion services.

You know, you can use Powershell remotely with WMI for tons of things (including restarting services).
Edited by SOJ#1832 on 4/30/2014 4:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My preference is 8.1 over anything else. I personally find it faster and easier to maintain than any other operating system I've dealt with. It literally took me 10 minutes to install 8.1 pro 64-bit and all the drivers required for my hardwire on my new PC. I absolutely love it.
Reply Quote
I have been using Windows 8 since October 2012. What your problem with it? Mod it however it suites you.

Remove the metro apps if you like -- http://betanews.com/2014/04/25/windows-8-app-remover-promises-to-get-rid-of-unwanted-microsoft-pre-installed-apps-kind-of/
Reply Quote
I don't hate its new interface (I don't use start at all) but I found so many compatibility problems within my first day using it that I donwngraded to windows 7. Its just not good enough to justify the problems you might have.
Edited by Krelahn#1104 on 4/30/2014 5:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/30/2014 07:12 AMPosted by Fragbait
I'm picking up my custom built computer today and I ordered it with Windows 7. All I do is internet and D3 RoS.

You should really consider making the move up to Win8. It honestly doesn't take all that long to acclimatise, and there is nothing you can do on Win7 that you can't just as easily do on Win8 if you take 5 minutes to learn how. Every new technology requires elements of learning- otherwise progress is nil.

For your time investment, you get an OS that boots like lightning, generally performs better, has such good in built security that I have dropped 3rd party AV software completely (And the overhead that came with it), and lives in current support cycles.

In the interests of fairness, I do have a bit of a strange issue on my home PC whereby it occasionally cranks a system process up to 100% disk usage, although it only actually read/writes at 2Mb/s. This causes latency, but I'm the only user I know with this issue, and so far it hasn't even been bad enough for me to bother reformatting.
Reply Quote
04/30/2014 04:50 PMPosted by HandGestures
My preference is 8.1 over anything else. I personally find it faster and easier to maintain than any other operating system I've dealt with. It literally took me 10 minutes to install 8.1 pro 64-bit and all the drivers required for my hardwire on my new PC. I absolutely love it.

We just built a pxe deployment for Win8. We could pxe Win7 in about 3 hours, we do Win8 in 15 minutes, if that. Win.
Reply Quote
Yeah I read an article about it that said over 70% of people complained about it.

I have to use it at work, it's god awful compared to windows 7.
Reply Quote
Windows ME would like to have a word with you.
Reply Quote
04/30/2014 07:06 AMPosted by Shiven
8.1 is superior to previous version of Windows. Sorry you don't know what your doing with it.

Its true, its a great OS. It was made for Multi core systems.

The metro-UI is nothing more then a large start menu. Its takes a day to get use to it, but once you do its great. You dont have to DL 3rd party apps.... Just Download the windows version and pop it on your desktop. Works the same as Windows 7

having 2 monitors I keep the start menu on 1 and desk top on my TV and it works great. IF i need a second desktop i just drag over a new window and I have 2. People have to learn how to adjust to change.
Reply Quote
04/30/2014 05:00 PMPosted by SkyWarp
Yeah I read an article about it that said over 70% of people complained about it.

I have to use it at work, it's god awful compared to windows 7.

A lot of people complained about Win7 too. The only reason it has come off looking like such a fair haired child is because it came after the hatefest that was Vista. And Vista was probably only hated because it came after the love child of XP, which seems a lot like what is happening to Win8.

Dollars to cents all the Win7 fanboys will feel the same way about Win9 as XP fanboys currently feel about Win7.
Edited by Jalderton#6572 on 4/30/2014 5:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
What make you guys like win8 so much that make the upgrade worth? I only have compatibility problems with this @#*&¨ ...
-I don't have any problems with the interface, in fact, I like it.
Reply Quote
i have no problems whatsoever with windows 8.1, maybe because im not !@#$ing retarded
Reply Quote
04/30/2014 05:08 PMPosted by Krelahn
What make you guys like win8 so much that make the upgrade worth? I only have compatibility problems with this @#*&¨ ...
-I don't have any problems with the interface, in fact, I like it.

I haven't had any compatibility issues. If anything, I would say the opposite- things that weren't compatible with Win7 are with Win8, and things that were difficult to get working with Win7 work quite easily with Win8.

My colleague, however, did find that there is no Win8 driver for his Wacom tablet. That said, the tablet is 12 years old, and it is Wacom's responsibility to decide whether or not to support their hardware. To MS's credit, the tablet still works without a driver! Just at reduced functionality.

I'm not saying you don't have problems, just that I sure haven't had any.
Reply Quote
04/30/2014 05:08 PMPosted by Kesotron
i have no problems whatsoever with windows 8.1, maybe because im not !@#$ing retarded
Or becouse you don't use all of it, else you would have problems. As I explained its not that I don't like it, its just that it don't works for >>ME< <.

I have problems playing games that use directx 11, some older games and some drawing applications.
Edited by Krelahn#1104 on 4/30/2014 5:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
OP just switched from XP and now he can't find Free Cell.

Disregard thread.
Edited by Neidbau#1880 on 4/30/2014 6:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have win 8, I like it.
Reply Quote
Windows 8 is at times so bad it is shocking.

Never mind the list of things I have to look up or re learn after having learned them and relied upon them and actively used them for the past 20+ years....

My dad is one of the most inexperienced computer users ever born;

after gleefully romping around on an old Win XP laptop for MONTHS after the security updates and support stopped.....and not having even 1 single issue beyond the laptop being clogged with dust....repaired in 2 seconds with an air compressor.

his brand new more powerful more secure Windows 8 computer was the following:

-more expensive,
-much slower.
-was less intuitive across the board and in a multitude of irritating ways.
-was FAR less secure, forcing or sneaking his data and files into cloud storage and slowing the machine down with even more useless fool hardy trash and dreadfully poor computing habits...
-and was INSTANTLY consumed in a barrage of Malware.

People either hate windows 8 and virtually everything it stands for, or simply do not care about a quality session at a high quality rig. They simply turn a blind eye towards the irritating features. and access the whole experience as "not bad", "i don't mind it" or "I like it....."

its no surprise that businesses are in no rush overall to go get Windows 8. The IT workload will instantly quadruple for how stupid and awkward certain things have become.....

just lots of bad for a very tiny almost imperceptible amount of good....
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]