Diablo® III

[TIPS] RoS Followers (lvl.70) complete guide

(Sticky)

05/30/2014 12:26 PMPosted by Bliss
My apologies if i haven't read things here correctly,

But can i confirm which exact stats on items equipped by the follower, will carry across to the main character?

Is it just magic find/gold find/+xp etc, in a 1/5 portion as mentioned,

Or do the +ele skill damage, +elite skill damage, - elite damage reduction etc skills apply to both you and the follower?

also, does cool down reduction, reduced resource cost, etc, transfer across to you as well? or does it just stay with your follower?

Furthermore, would the buff from unique amulets and rings apply to your own character? -- for e.g. with a light spec, if you equip a wydward ring on a follower, will the stun chance on light damage transfer across to you yourself? or only apply to damage dealt by the follower themselves?

Sorry if these have already been answered in the thread but i couldn't work it out.

Cheers

What ? Why would buff from unique on follower would apply to your character ? Or CDR ? Can't figure a logic out of this.

05/23/2014 06:31 PMPosted by AshTag
• MF/GF/%xp/+pts xp buffs applies to you with a 1/5 ration, they don't fade away even if your followers goes KO.

That's all.
Reply Quote
AshTag:

• All stats are effective on followers, such as ... CDR....

Was this thoroughly tested? If so, can you briefly summarize how? All other sources I check (reddit, diablofan, etc...) either claims it does not work, or that it is unclear.

Interested to know, since I was planning on decking out my Templar to be a super healer :P.
Edited by Johnny#1585 on 6/1/2014 7:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Is the Demon summoned from Maximus buffed by Elite damage?
Reply Quote
06/01/2014 07:56 PMPosted by Johnny
AshTag:

• All stats are effective on followers, such as ... CDR....

Was this thoroughly tested? If so, can you briefly summarize how? All other sources I check (reddit, diablofan, etc...) either claims it does not work, or that it is unclear.

Since i had been questioned on my test in other forum and here, i'll give you a little insight of my tests procedures. I'm sorry, but i guess this won't be "briefly", IMHO this could help one to perform his own tests.

My main and favorite class is DH, IMO it's the best suited class to perform test on followers :
Caltrops tortuous ground : give a visual indication of a 12 feet radius and immobilize mobs & no damage.
Spiketraps : 8ft radius visual indication.
Smoke screen Lingering Fog : awesome to loose agro and give it to follower.
A very useful item if http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/deaths-bargain-3STVps which give a 16feet radius visual indication, and stops regen (which will be very handy with CDR tests).
I video record my runs, then review the footage frame by frame, all game indicators on.

Most of my tests were made act1, with the Jar event in graveyard. I like this even a lot because you can trigger it after laying down traps. You can predict where the skeleton will pop, and there's a gradation in their numbers. Playing in normal mode allows you to open inventory and follower inventory and swap item to see if their a change in numbers. This is the method i use to determine that area damage and elemental damage were effectives on followers (also rerolling some yellows rings to have a single stat change, with a margin of +/- 10% of follower main stat since it's really hard to have let's say precisely 426 int on 2 rings).

Another ideal Guinea Pig is Ghom, which i used to test vs. elites bonus and some procs. Many clan friends help me on several questions or item getting (like almost all of my Templar gear). For instance at the time of The Tall Man's Finger's bug, the question was to know if that bug was working on a Maximus Enchantress (answer was no.) Some of my clan members are actual IRL friends, so i'm quite confident about their feedback, even if i stay careful (i have different feedbacks on the Unity and Ashera's matter).

All other sources I check (reddit, diablofan, etc...) either claims it does not work, or that it is unclear.

I don't usually goes on these forums, but i went to see what you were talking about. And it was quite funny. For instance, some player claims that the Mad Monarch Scepter is not working on followers. That make me laugh because obviously they haven't try it in normal mode, where an average Templar can actually kills mobs. It's quite obvious that you won't see its proc in higher Torments.

The CDR on followers might seem tricky to test, some players on the sites you mention have tried with http://us.battle.net/d3/en/follower/templar/skill/charge or some other short CD skills. In my opinion this skill is the harder to test, since there's many factors that will make the templar use this skill, such as distance. Something else must be taken in account, http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/relic-of-akarat affects the order in which the templar use his skills, there's might be a pattern, i have yet to find it.

So, how to test CDR ? Well that's quite easy, http://us.battle.net/d3/en/follower/templar/skill/heal has a 30s CD, equip him with CDR in all slots (10% weapons, 8% in all other slots). Then equip Death Bargain, and go for Act3 Bastion's Keep. Clean the area where there's Walls of Flames, get hist by it, followers heals you, then get it again and wait, the heal will come before 30s. (I think this also work in ActV swamps.) I didn't test CDR on enchantress and Scoundrel but if that work on Templar it must be the same for the two others.

Interested to know, since I was planning on decking out my Templar to be a super healer :P.

Hurky from EU forum, which helped me a lot on the Fumace/Elites matter, runs a full CDR Heal Unity templar in T6 and seems very fond of that template.

Keep in mind that this guide isn't completed yet, and there's hundreds of questions ahead. For instance, is arcane dmg bonus affect the Band of Hollow Whispers ? Wich Scoundrel skill hurts the most with SoJ ? Etc.
Reply Quote
06/01/2014 10:52 PMPosted by Cavan
Is the Demon summoned from Maximus buffed by Elite damage?

Unfortunately, no. The Demon and the fire chain damages are not buffed by vs. Elites Bonus, only Enchantress attacks are buffed.
Reply Quote
Excellent! Thanks, and good job!
Reply Quote
05/30/2014 04:23 PMPosted by AshTag
What ? Why would buff from unique on follower would apply to your character ? Or CDR ? Can't figure a logic out of this.

Diablo 2 Mercenaries?

You know what I would rather see? Diablo 2 Mercenaries FAQ vs. Diablo 3 Followers FAQ...
Reply Quote
06/03/2014 10:51 PMPosted by JonSoucy
Diablo 2 Mercenaries?

Did you notice this is actually D3 ?

06/03/2014 10:51 PMPosted by JonSoucy
You know what I would rather see? Diablo 2 Mercenaries FAQ vs. Diablo 3 Followers FAQ...

The FAQ you seek is in another forum.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the guide, it answered some questions I had. Excellent reference.
Reply Quote
Does the elemental bonus apply to all follower attacks or just the special ones? For instance, if I give my templar a +20% Physical amulet, will he deal more damage on the auto-attacks between charges/heals/whatever?
Reply Quote
Here's my (as yet theorycrafted) Support Templar. Based on the legendary token making him invincible, the idea is to have a mix of strong CC, solid support and whatever dps I can squeeze in after all that.
- Thunderfury: the stats you want are Str, RCD and AS - no socket! (that's got to be a first). AS means more TF procs, RCD means more support, and of the remaining slots Str will give you more benefit than anything else dps-wise.
- Token: Str/CD/block/anything
- Overwhelming Desire: Str/AS/RCD/CC
- Wyrdward: Str/AS/RCD/CC
- Oculus Ring: Str/double AS/anything (it rolls with pretty fixed stat so this is the best you can hope for)
- Freeze of Deflection: Str/block/CC/socket

This should give him around 2 aps, stuns on lightning damage, chance to charm on hit (with extra damage), chance to freeze when hit, between 20-25% RCD, and still end up around 450k dps. And he never dies, so dump that thoughness :).
Edited by Armis#2742 on 6/12/2014 1:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I may be late to the party, but, has anyone else noticed that when the Enchantress hexes enemies into chickens, they take no crit hits? Intended or a bug?
Reply Quote
2 Undead Warlock
Tank you so much for this guide. I have been running a WD with an Asheara's set for some time now and just recently switched to a different spec where I no longer run it and I miss my other companions.

Thanx again

=CK=
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Great job on writing up this guide! I have a lot of fun working on gearing up my followers, and I always appreciate good advice on awesome ways to do it. Thanks, AshTag!
Reply Quote
a full dps for high t level/grifts templar should have the following

legacy (probably) halcyons ascent with both elite dmg and %physical
sunkeeper with 58% elite dmg (ie: diamond socketed)
bul kathos wedding band (that's where all the dmg is.)
unity (if you are using), if not soj with %physical
lidless wall with %physical

on t6 your templar should be aoe'ing bosses around him for >15-20m+. (if not more. I don't have the gear set for full %physical/elite so I don't get to see his full power yet), especially if you run mob based %debuffs
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 7/23/2014 3:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/28/2014 08:18 AMPosted by AshTag
Of course for amulets, BIS are Moonward and Overwhelming Desire,

I'd use an Ess of Johan over both of those for any class that doesn't have a pull skill (like black hole, piranas, etc). It won't proc Strongarm, but it groups up units so they take more area damage.

I've tried going for a damage setup with followers, but even with the best gear their damage just isn't noticeable. My favorite Crowd Control setup so far is the Templar with
-Azurewrath
-Freeze of Deflection
-Bul Kathos Wedding Band (where the actual damage comes from)

From there I max attack speed (for Azurewrath procs), cooldown reduction (for 21 second heal cooldown), and block chance (Shield freeze proc).
Edited by Psychologic#1766 on 7/22/2014 7:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/22/2014 06:49 PMPosted by chrisloup

on t6 your templar should be aoe'ing mobs around him for >20m+.

O_o Lordy, and most of the time i dont even bother bringing followers along when soloing.
Reply Quote
07/22/2014 11:43 PMPosted by Morb
07/22/2014 06:49 PMPosted by chrisloup

on t6 your templar should be aoe'ing mobs around him for >20m+.

O_o Lordy, and most of the time i dont even bother bringing followers along when soloing.

That's just the effect of the BK Wedding Band on high-hp mobs I think. Otherwise I really don't see how the Templar could deal over 15M damage, and that's loaded with all the elite/physical damage bonus you can find and with his Onslaught (so, single target and only once every 10 seconds).
Reply Quote
see sample templar.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/chrisloup-6305/hero/27597522

yes its just the bk wedding band, which like I said is enhanced by stacking %elite and %physical. my sheet dps templar is only 50k , furthermore, the bk wedding band effect is enhanced by debuffs (elemental exposure,flesh is weak, mfd, divine verdict etc)

the main point is, no matter how much ias/cc/dmg you have, the bk wedding band effect outdmgs them all. its good on the templar because the other two followers actively kite away from mobs.

i think you can bring followers into grifts, so unless the wedding ring gets nerfed in future, its going to be more useful that others..(might even be better than a rorg for a firestarter crusader)
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 7/23/2014 2:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
One little known fact is that Oculus ring can reroll up to 16% AS (9% base and 7% reroll). One would not use it on main char due to it beeing useless, but when you need to apply furnace/tormentor/azurewrath/generic cc effect, 16% AS from a ring slot impossible to beat. So SoJ+Oculus or BK+Oculus are solid choices in effect application builds.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]